PDA

View Full Version : Therapy (Physical)

Anuan
2009-12-20, 06:28 AM
So...You. Yes, you. Share your experiences and thoughts of various forms of physical therapy. Now.

My mother is a bowentherapist, of the BowTech school, which I understand is the original. It's like...manipulation of your insides. It tightens loose muscles/tendons and loosens tight ones until your body basically pulls itself together. In my experience, it's really quite effective, if you get the right number of sessions in, which I generally dont because I live far, far away and we're always busy so I'll get maybe one in a fortnight of being here, so I'll feel good for a few days and then bam everything slowly falls apart again.

I just had one. Which I really, really needed apparently because my head was absolutely spinning when the session was done. Apparently, if you're fairly messed up and you get a lot of stuff worked in a session, you can even end up throwing up.

In general it's fairly comfortable, though...but dear sweet Stevens, you better hope you don't have anything wrong with your hip. Ow. Ow, ow, ow, I've been kicked by a black-belt and I've been smacked with a 2x4, but I'd do either one again rather than get that bowen move done again. Ow.

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-20, 09:16 AM
A guy broke one of my ribs while training in a Muay Thai combat. The hit was so hard, that it even expelled the last drop of breath from my lungs!! :smallfrown:

Also, I had a fight some months ago with a stupid annoying nervy, and he punched me in the jaw. Next day, I couldn't move my mouth, and I had to eat soup for the next 2 days. :smalleek:

thubby
2009-12-20, 01:29 PM
I've broken my hands and fingers more times than i care to think about. typing was always weird

golentan
2009-12-20, 02:16 PM
Physical therapy is wrapping pain and agony around misery and suffering in the hopes that something good will happen.

Yes, it works. But I hope I never have another injury that makes me go through it again.

thorgrim29
2009-12-20, 02:57 PM
Depends on what ails you... I go see a physio once in a while, and it's usually not that painful, but I mostly go because of misaligned vertebra or sprains, so that's not as bad as an hernia or something like that.

Jack Squat
2009-12-20, 04:26 PM
All the physical therapy I know has to deal with resistance bands, medicine balls, and the like. From the little I've read, the Bowen technique is closer to chiropracty than "actual" physical therapy, but I could be wrong.

Almighty Salmon
2009-12-20, 04:46 PM
Painful is the word that comes to mind.

I had some pretty major surgery a few months ago, and now i'm having physical therapy to help me recover from that and some more to assist with my scoliosis.

Mainly i'm doing numerous exercises to strengthen my back muscles, and that's bad enough. But, I also have some very tight hamstrings and stretching those tendons is so damn painful, I can only hold the pose for a few seconds at a time.

Anuan
2009-12-20, 07:58 PM
Painful is the word that comes to mind.

I had some pretty major surgery a few months ago, and now i'm having physical therapy to help me recover from that and some more to assist with my scoliosis.

Mainly i'm doing numerous exercises to strengthen my back muscles, and that's bad enough. But, I also have some very tight hamstrings and stretching those tendons is so damn painful, I can only hold the pose for a few seconds at a time.

So, so true. Goddamn, hamstring stretching sucks D:

Also, yeah, Jack. It's not exactly physio-therapy, it's different. This thread is for all forms of therapy that are physical, including physio, bowen, chiropractice, umm...acupuncture...whatever you wanna talk about :smalltongue:

Jack Squat
2009-12-20, 10:11 PM
Ah, see, I'm just not used to anything other being called therapy.

I do some pressure point stuff for when I get headaches, suppose it's in the same vein.

Never much got into massages or any of the like, though I know people who swear by them. I just don't really have any symptoms that could really be fixed by it.

Bonecrusher Doc
2009-12-21, 02:55 PM
I had auricular (ear) acupuncture done to me a while back as part of a class. It hurt. It was supposed to block pain, but I didn't have any pain for it to block, so maybe that was my problem. I was so relieved when those darn things came out of my ear.