PDA

View Full Version : Question about character creation

Obahai
2009-12-20, 11:52 AM
Awhile back I was flipping through some old d&d notes and i found a reference to using a standard deck of playing cards for character creation. Unfortunately most of the notes are illegible, but one thing I was able to make out was it would be possible to start a paladin werewolf, if the correct combination was drawn. Is there anything at all like this, that is relevant to 3.5 d&d?

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 11:56 AM
I have heard of people who roll for their race,class and all that other jazz. Nothing about playing cards though.

Obahai
2009-12-20, 11:58 AM
I have heard of people who roll for their race,class and all that other jazz. Nothing about playing cards though.

I figured that this would be a good starting point to look, then trying various google searches. The only really helpful thing I found so far, was taken from the Dragonlance Setting.

Zincorium
2009-12-20, 12:03 PM
Dragonlance 5th age isn't D&D at all, but it's got a card based system, using a deck that is pretty similar to a normal deck of cards, although it's more like a tarot deck. The lessons I've learned on cards:

Advantages: You can make a very versatile character if you draw well, and you have a lot of options for making a character with a given set. You don't need to make specific sacrifices for a given concept, although you still will have some to make.

Disadvantages: Totally luck based. If you don't allow redraws to some extent, it's possible for a player to not have any good options. They may be a fighter who can swordfight, but falls over in a stiff wind, or a rogue who's got the skills but is so clumsy as to be useless in a fight.

Aside from the cards vs. dice, 5th age is standard DragonLance D&D.

Gamerlord
2009-12-20, 12:05 PM
I tried using Googleling "Rolling dice to determine what your character is in D&D" but did not find anything related to the matter.

Obahai
2009-12-20, 03:38 PM
Since I have not been able to find anything too useful, I've decide to create my own version, for a 1 shot New Year's gathering.

I'm making it in excel to keep things simple and I'll try and post it in another format for those who want to see it. PM if i forget to check this post or if I take too long on getting it up

Sinfire Titan
2009-12-20, 04:19 PM
I tried using Googleling "Rolling dice to determine what your character is in D&D" but did not find anything related to the matter.

There's a chart in the NPC section of the DMG (not sure if it is in the SRD though).