PDA

View Full Version : FREEFORM ROLEPLAYING: Community Thread (Please Read)

Pages : 1 [2]

happyturtle
2010-06-16, 08:30 AM
If people who know about them want to ask the mods what forum they belong in, then go ahead. But as long as they're in this subforum, we want them recorded.

Sounds like a structured game maybe? In structured, we often have multiple games in the same setting, there's one or two narrators, and the players roleplay among themselves. Of course there's rules and stuff too, so maybe it isn't that. I wouldn't know without reading the threads in question and I'm far too lazy for that.

darkblade
2010-06-16, 11:02 AM
Name of Universe: Twilight Lynching Games
Tag: No Tags
Description: A free form/structured hybrid in which you play as established fictional characters from a variety of settings and to battle with the characters of the Twilight series of Novels/Movies as well as other PCs.
Character limitations: Depends on the particular game but usually only restricted by desired power level and plausibility of them existing in modern times.
Founding player(s): Cracklord, Industrious, Doliest, Darkblade
Interested players:
Other notes: Each thread represents one game with the thread's creator as the GM who plays the canon Twilight characters and other NPCs/
Style:

Name of Universe: Eragon Lynching Games
Description: A free form/structured hybrid in which you play as established fictional characters from a variety of settings and to battle with the characters of the Inheritance Cycle series of Novels as well as other PCs.
Character limitations: Depends on the particular game but usually only restricted by desired power level and plausibility of them existing in Fantasy setting.
Interested players:
Other notes: Each thread represents one game with the thread's creator as the GM who plays the canon Inheritance Cycle characters and other NPCs/
Style:

Since these games originated from a VS Thread gone wrong in Media Disscussion and we were told to move it here I think this would be the right subforum for the games, unless Mods say otherwise of course.

Kuroimaken
2010-06-16, 12:12 PM
I want to lynch Edward and Bella and make paintings out of their splattered brains!

darkblade
2010-06-16, 12:42 PM
More players are always welcome. It is a bit late to join the current game but in the discussion thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8715592#post8715592)I am recruiting for the next one (which is a special crossover with the Eragon game).

Prime32
2010-06-16, 01:04 PM
I played Lina Inverse in one of the Eragon games. Had to drop out of Twilight 4, where I was playing some TYPE-MOON characters (Archer, Nrvnqsr Chaos, Kohaku). 'twas fun. I got to blow up Teirm.

Jokasti
2010-06-16, 02:40 PM
Thanks fior all the answers, I think I'll try Nexus out. And now for the chargen.

happyturtle
2010-06-16, 04:16 PM
*gets out soapbox*

*stands on it*

Okay, anyone who has started a thread in the last month, please check to make sure it has a tag in brackets in the title. [Nexus] [CHB] [BitP:R], whatever. If your universe does not have a tag yet, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE invent one and use it, even if your universe is just a single thread. And please use the brackets, as it makes it a lot easier to scan the page for the 'verse you're looking for.

Some of us are going to try and watch the subforum and PM people who start threads without a tag. With more than 10 universes going, we have got to have them. It's getting impossible to find things. If you want to help out with the gentle nudging of people until we can get everyone in the habit, please do. Just remember that if the thread was started more than 30 days ago the title can't be edited, so we just have to put up with those.

That is all. Thank you.

*falls off soapbox*

*says bad words and limps away*

Prime32
2010-06-16, 04:24 PM
Should these tags always be at the start of the title?

happyturtle
2010-06-16, 04:37 PM
Yes, it makes it easier to scan down the page that way.

Viera Champion
2010-06-16, 05:14 PM
As Happy Turtle suggested:

Name of the Universe: Wheel of Time itP
Tag: [WoT]
Description: A universe based off of both the plot and the world of the late Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. All characters from the novels, including main characters, do not exist in this universe, and most will be replaced by player made characters
Character Limitations: None
Founding Player: Kurama
Interested Players: Horngeek, Kid Kris, Cracklord
Other Notes: Each thread will represent the main areas of the Three (or four?) main groups.
Style:?
What Makes this Different: It has a directed plot, yet with the possibility of many subplots branching off of it.

Cracklord
2010-06-16, 05:23 PM
Name of Universe: Twilight Lynching Games
Description: A free form/structured hybrid in which you play as established fictional characters from a variety of settings and to battle with the characters of the Twilight series of Novels/Movies as well as other PCs.
Character limitations: Depends on the particular game but usually only restricted by desired power level and plausibility of them existing in modern times. Also, we keep things limited to established fiction characters.
Interested players: Kuroimaken
Other notes: Each thread represents one game with the thread's creator as the GM who plays the canon Twilight characters and other NPCs.
Style: It's basically a sandbox game with direction.

happyturtle
2010-06-16, 05:25 PM
Could you come up with a tag please? [TLG]? [Twi]?

Prime32
2010-06-16, 05:28 PM
I'd suggest something based on "Lynching", since it's not limited to one setting (there was an Avatar Lynching thread, but it didn't work very well).

darkblade
2010-06-16, 05:35 PM
If I may suggest [T-Lynch] and [E-Lynch]. They show they belong to related but exclusive games.

Prime32
2010-06-16, 05:35 PM
What about [Lynch:T] and [Lynch:E]?

And at some point we'll have to PM Roland (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124708).

happyturtle
2010-06-16, 05:47 PM
Name of Universe: The Nexus aka Town aka Acronymia
Tag: [Nexus]
Description: A nexus of realities where all cosmologies are true. At the same bar, there could be a DnD barbarian, a 24th century shadowrunner, a Jedi, a cthuloid monstrosity, and a perfectly mundane baker's apprentice.
Character limitations: No limitations except for the forum rules.
Founding player(s): Town was founded around the dual between players Mortia, and Lykan. Then evolved with the addition of Sneaks Milk Bar. Then kept growing and changing.
Interested players: lots
Other notes: There's no pre-approval process, but if you come and say hi in the Nexus OOC thread, people will try and help your character get settled in.
Style: Comedic, dark, angsty, romantic, apocalyptic. All over the place, really.
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? This is the oldest and most established universe, the one the subforum was created for. It's also the most chaotic and anarchic as there is no overarching plot, consistent rules, or guiding hand. The advantage of this is that you can play any character you like. The disadvantage is that your character may not work quite as expected when they are taken out of their home universe and left to deal with people from different cosmologies. If you value order and consistency, it may not be for you, but for sheer chaotic roleplaying fun, Nexus is clearly the best choice. </biased opinion :smallwink:>

McBish
2010-06-16, 07:26 PM
Town was founded around the dual between players Mortia, and Lykan. Then evolved with the addition of Sneaks Milk Bar. Then kept growing and changing.

Cracklord
2010-06-16, 07:33 PM
What about [Lynch:T] and [Lynch:E]?

And at some point we'll have to PM Roland (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124708).

Sure, I'll do that at Darkblades next thread.
By the way, are you coming back for the finish, Prime? Quite a few characters have bitten the dust, and they'll need all the help they can get just to finish now.

happyturtle
2010-06-16, 07:34 PM
Thanks, McBish. I added your bit to it. :smallsmile:

Prime32
2010-06-16, 07:40 PM
Sure, I'll do that at Darkblades next thread.
By the way, are you coming back for the finish, Prime? Quite a few characters have bitten the dust, and they'll need all the help they can get just to finish now.Nah, I've gone too long, I don't know what's happening, and I can't imagine it would make sense.

Cracklord
2010-06-16, 07:56 PM
Ah well. Be back for the next one? Darkblade is organizing it, sort of Kingdom Hearts based. Should be fun.

Prime32
2010-06-16, 08:02 PM
Possibly, if I can think of a concept.

ApeofLight
2010-06-18, 09:29 AM
Why so many universes being made?

Murkus
2010-06-18, 04:42 PM
I must ask, what is this Atropus thing I've been hearing about? Some sort of 'undead moon' or something?

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-18, 06:06 PM
Why so many universes being made?

Umm...

Different, unique ideas that would need a separate universe?

The Bushranger
2010-06-18, 08:44 PM
Ah, but there isn't any need for a distinct, seperate universe. The Nexus is one size fits all. *nodnod*

Also, yes, Atropus is an undead moon.
I've fought it before. With a spaceship. And antimatter. Lots of antimatter. :smallamused:

Murkus
2010-06-18, 10:40 PM
A moon... died... and became undead?

What is this... I don't even...

Maximum Zersk
2010-06-18, 10:55 PM
Ah, but there isn't any need for a distinct, seperate universe. The Nexus is one size fits all. *nodnod*

Also, yes, Atropus is an undead moon.
I've fought it before. With a spaceship. And antimatter. Lots of antimatter. :smallamused:

Well, you get cases like the AnimeITP games, where they need to be distinct for a few reasons.

1) So there's no jumping between the Nexus and the AnimeITP threads.

2) They're MUCH more story-driven.

3) They're based off of anime, so they need universes that are based off of those anime.

Draken
2010-06-18, 10:59 PM
A moon... died... and became undead?

What is this... I don't even...

No, no. This is how it goes.

In the beggining, there was Atropus, and he was alone. So Atropus used all of his power, which was as vast as all the power that now is, to create all that is, but in so doing Atropus was left with nothing for itself, and so it shriveled until the One Creator was naugh more.

But anything that can house such power cannot ever truly fade, so from the remains of Atropus, his head, for his body had long since rotten away, He rose yet again, unlike He was before, longing for the solitude he once scorned, and so Atropus went into his journey to reclaim all it had given, so that it could become itself again."

The myth goes something like that.

Atropus is the head of a dead Overdemiurge, roaming the universe to kill all that it created in life, hoping to reclaim its own life.

Murkus
2010-06-18, 11:07 PM
Sounds like a sweet, well-thought-out villain. I look forward to his appearance.

happyturtle
2010-06-20, 03:53 AM
A Universe Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7539880#post7539880) has been started, on post three of the first page.

It has three entries at the moment. Hopefully people who want their universe to be more known will fill in the form. Please understand this is not any sort of pre-approval process - simply an attempt to organize what's already here.

Though if universes keep multiplying the way they have been in the past month or so, we might need a Universe Index thread, modelled after the character indexes.

billtodamax
2010-06-20, 05:29 AM
Oooh, and then we could have a character registry registry! :smalltongue:

Morty
2010-06-20, 07:36 AM
Sounds like a sweet, well-thought-out villain. I look forward to his appearance.

The problem is, of course, that characters without WMDs or superpowers will have to sit it out.

horngeek
2010-06-20, 07:42 AM
The problem is, of course, that characters without WMDs or superpowers will have to sit it out.

On the other hand, if you've got a plot which is suited to low-powered characters in terms of combat, higher-powered characters either have to hold back, or sit it out. So.

Morty
2010-06-20, 08:12 AM
On the other hand, if you've got a plot which is suited to low-powered characters in terms of combat, higher-powered characters either have to hold back, or sit it out. So.

I think it's easier to tone down a powerful character than power up a weak one. Also, the Atropus plot is quite big, meaning that a lot of characters will know of it and want to get involved, but won't be able to. A low-powered plot is likely to be on a smaller scale too.

McBish
2010-06-20, 08:32 AM
Last time I saw Atropus a lot of the plot was about it's approach and the havoc it caused, there would be plenty of opportunity for low level characters to interact with said havoc.

Also is this coming back? Or are we just talking about past plots, I am confused from not being around much. On that note, off to work.

The Bushranger
2010-06-20, 11:13 AM
Atropus is fortold to return...

Antimatter not included.

Executor
2010-06-20, 12:13 PM
Name of Universe: War of the Ring
Tag: [WoR]
Description: A universe based of Tolkien's Middle Earth legendarium, in which characters from different fictional sources, and history as well, are summoned by the Valar and Morgoth, to fight for either good or evil in the War of the Ring.
Character limitations: All characters must be pre-repeating firearms and appropriate to the setting (For example: Roman legionaries and Narnians are okay, US Marines and Gundam pilots are not)
Founding player(s): Executor, Cracklord
Interested players: Executor, Creed, Keveak, Darkblade, doliest, Falgorn, more to be added
Style: It's basically a sandbox game with direction, in the style of Cracklord's Lynching freeforms.
Other Notes: N/A
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? Having characters, both historical and fictional, participating in the famous War of the Ring from the Lord of the Rings novels and movies. Also, would be the first freeform Lord of the Rings roleplay universe I am aware of.

PallElendro
2010-06-20, 12:39 PM
Name of Universe: Red vs. Blue
Tag: RvB
Description: A group of Red and Blues in an endless civil war.
Character limitations: Player must be Red, Blue, or from Command.
Founding player(s): Pally Elendro
Interested players: Moff Chumley, iElf, Iceman JRC
Other notes: The people are SPARTAN IIs.
Style: Uh... Action/Comedy
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? This one contains more eccentricity among people.

Prime32
2010-06-20, 02:25 PM
A Universe Index (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7539880#post7539880) has been started, on post three of the first page.

It has three entries at the moment. Hopefully people who want their universe to be more known will fill in the form. Please understand this is not any sort of pre-approval process - simply an attempt to organize what's already here.

Though if universes keep multiplying the way they have been in the past month or so, we might need a Universe Index thread, modelled after the character indexes.First, we've already been keeping one of those. :smallconfused:
{table=head]Name|Tag|Approx. Age|Still active?|Notes
Nexus|[Nexus]|5 yrs|Yes|Includes Acro and Town
- ACRO|{colsp=4}[ACRO]
- Town|{colsp=4}[Town]
Metropolis|[Metro]|2 yrs|No|Superhero universe
Bleach|[BleachITP]|1.5 yrs|No new characters
Bleach Reborn|[BitP:R]|4 mnth|Yes|Reboot of BleachitP
Camp Half-Blood|[CHB]|6 mnth|Yes|
GONE|
Final Fantasy|[FFitP]|Brand New|Yes (setup)
Wheel of Time|
Organized Crime|[OCitp]|1 mnth|Yes|
Eragon/Twilight Lynching|
Dead Plains Drifter|
Pokémon|||No|Now in Structured
Super Robot Wars|[SRWitP]|2 mnth|Yes (setup)|Characters from existing mecha anime/manga/etc. allowed
Naruto|[NarutoITP]|8 mnth|Yes
Supers|
[/table]

Second, you've duplicated one of the Lynching entries.

Morty
2010-06-20, 02:45 PM
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? This one contains more arrogance among people.

I'm rather curious as to what it precisely means.

Prime32
2010-06-20, 03:09 PM
I'm rather curious as to what it precisely means.Ever watched Red vs. Blue? The characters are... eccentric.

iElf
2010-06-20, 04:05 PM
Ever watched Red vs. Blue? The characters are... eccentric.

bat **** insane more like it.....

Morty
2010-06-20, 04:09 PM
Ever watched Red vs. Blue? The characters are... eccentric.

Nope, never seen it. That explains it, then.

happyturtle
2010-06-20, 04:15 PM
First, we've already been keeping one of those. :smallconfused:
[snip table]

The table doesn't really give very much information.

Second, you've duplicated one of the Lynching entries.

Oops. *goes to fix*

KerfuffleMach2
2010-06-20, 07:56 PM
bat **** insane more like it.....

Gotta love Sarge and his belief that a shotgun to the face can solve anything.

Falgorn
2010-06-20, 08:00 PM
Obligatory "Bow chicka wow wow!"
Back to your fun.

PallElendro
2010-06-20, 10:04 PM
Hey, people are actually enjoying my universe! Thanks! You guys should join the group. Also, I have Seasons 1-5 of the Blood Gulch Chronicles, Out of Mind, Reconstruction, Recovery One, Relocated, Recreation, and waiting for Revelation. A lot of Re's! Where the the Bl's other than the Blood Gulch Chronicles!? Equality!!

If you wait a while in the Season 2 main menu, O'Mally destroys a menu option.

Jokasti
2010-06-22, 06:15 PM
Name of Universe: Bibliography ITP
Tag:
[B]Description: Our world is not what it seems... there is a Veil on the eyes of all humans that, when lifted, reveals a world where are the myths... are true.
Character limitations: Most characters will play as Pages, bound to a single Codex. Each Codex has strengths and weaknesses. Others are Librarians, more like police and with more power.
Founding player(s): Elagune, Jokasti, Prime32, Lix Lorn, Creed
Interested players: Everyone who's read Bibliography.
Other notes: Options are Page/Librarian/Human
Style: Superhero-ish
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? Based on Elagune's webcomic, and mostly in the city of Tiltstone.

Prime32
2010-06-22, 08:03 PM
Founding player(s): Elagune, Jokasti, Prime32, Lix Lorn, CreedI'm a founding player? :smallconfused:

Darkcomet
2010-06-22, 08:49 PM
I wonder how long it will take for this subforum to completely flood with all these new FFRPverses...<.<

The Bushranger
2010-06-22, 08:55 PM
Too soon. Because there's too many of them. Most of them should just be part of the Nexus. >.<

Terumitsu
2010-06-22, 09:50 PM
Well, things drown in a flood... I'm pretty sure the Nexiverse won't be one of them but I've been wrong before. Anyway, it all depends upon interest and such still seems strong in that one... [/blatent favoratism]

Anyway, thats a kinda mean thing to say but it is true. Survival of the attentionspan-grabber(est). And while I have.. let's call them 'reservations'... with the subject of the multitude of new 'verses popping up, that doesn't mean I'm allowed or would even want to deny other people from having fun. So, really, all we can do is wait and see.. Or get a new subforum... Which would be rather counterproductive. Also silly.

happyturtle
2010-06-22, 10:43 PM
Biblio itp has been added to the directory in post three. Also, I'm making a pest of myself posting in various threads asking people to edit the first post to include the [Tag] in the title.

Jokasti
2010-06-23, 04:06 AM
Awesome :smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2010-07-15, 12:28 AM
Bleach Reborn [BitP:R] and Naruto Freeform [Narutoitp] are both still up and recruiting. Bleach Reborn is fairly new, we have a wiki with a great deal of information, the link can be found in the first post of the newest OOC thread.

OOC for Bleach Reborn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159337&page=19)

Naruto is just getting going after a great deal of lag and down time. Great community, and despite a less then up to date wiki, its information is still fairly current. And the players will be more then happy to help you with any information you might need.

Link to Narutoitp OOC: Close to Page 50 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147391)

Apply today!

iElf
2010-07-16, 11:16 AM
In the future, probably Japan, robots have become commonplace. Human-like androids are visually indistinguishable from humans except for the holographic status halos—"Rings"—hovering above the androids' heads. Most people accept robots as a part of life, although at least one organization runs an anti-robot media campaign and a popular news item concerns those that have abandoned normal social interactions for the company of obedient androids.

In this future , there are several places where human and robots can be equals, leave behind their status, and be themselves.

One of them is a café , hidden from sight.

the Time of Eve

is anyone interested?

Ashen Lilies
2010-07-16, 11:27 AM
It doesn't really seem unique enough to merit it's own universe. There are plenty of existing RP universes with robots.

iElf
2010-07-16, 11:45 AM
It would have the same right to exist as bleach or naruto ITP , as stuff like cyborgs or sniper kittens don't exist in this world.

Time of Eve link (http://timeofeve.com/e/) for reference

happyturtle
2010-07-16, 12:12 PM
It has the right to exist if there are enough players who are interested to sustain it.

Don't forget the form.

Name of Universe:
Tag:
Description:
Character limitations:
Founding player(s):
Interested players: (to be added during the discussion/recruitment period)
Other notes:
Style:
What makes this different from other FFRPGs?

Prime32
2010-07-16, 12:38 PM
In the future, probably Japan, robots have become commonplace. Human-like androids are visually indistinguishable from humans except for the holographic status halos—"Rings"—hovering above the androids' heads. Most people accept robots as a part of life, although at least one organization runs an anti-robot media campaign and a popular news item concerns those that have abandoned normal social interactions for the company of obedient androids.

In this future , there are several places where human and robots can be equals, leave behind their status, and be themselves.

One of them is a café , hidden from sight.

the Time of EveSounds kind of like Ghost in the Shell... which might draw more players than a game with the abbreviation of "toe". :smalltongue:

iElf
2010-07-16, 12:50 PM
Sounds kind of like Ghost in the Shell... which might draw more players than a game with the abbreviation of "toe". :smalltongue:

it'd be EveITP probably. and I just loved the net mini sieres I'm basing it on. it has more base in the works of Asimov, than Gits(which isn't a good abbreviation either, may I say.) but I'd have to find out if anyone is interested at all

Prime32
2010-07-16, 01:57 PM
Just watched it, and I'm not sure if it has enough material. Ghost in the Shell has military action as well as the philosophy, so there's always something to do.

happyturtle
2010-07-18, 12:50 PM
As of this posting, only 43 of the 50 threads on the first page have a universe identifier. Six of the ones missing it are too old to change, and one of them I expect the thread starter to fix when he logs on tonight. (I didn't count Karuma's 'please delete this' thread). So yay! Getting around is much much easier than it was! Thanks everyone! :smallsmile:

The checkmarks will help too, as people can easily find threads they've already posted in, but please continue to use [Tag]'s so people can find threads they haven't posted in yet but want to. :smallwink:

It also helps if everyone uses the same format, with the brackets, and with the universe tag at the start of the title, so people can scan for the information they are looking for. So if you've started a thread recently that doesn't have the brackets, please add them if you can.

Maxios
2010-07-19, 12:40 AM
(Myth)
Name of Universe:
Tag: (Myth)
Description: A fantasy universe
Character limitations: Characters only have 4 races to choose from.
Founding player(s): Maxios
Interested players: Creed (to be added during the discussion/recruitment period)
Other notes: Is set in the Kingdom of Kroso.
Style: Action/Swashbuckling/Fantasy/Comedy
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? It's set in a fantasy universe filled with loot, monsters, and heroes. Plus, it has warrior liches!

Gimliggamer
2010-07-19, 12:41 AM
Name of Universe : Hogwarts ITP
Tag : [HP]
Description : An RP set in the Harry Potter Universe, specifically Hogwarts.
Character Limitations : Have to fit the setting, no Voldemorts or characters with major items.
Founding Player(s) : Gimliggamer
Other Notes : None
Style : Magic. Duh.
What Makes this different from other FFRPG's? See above. Blarg

Lord Raziere
2010-07-20, 04:02 AM
Too soon. Because there's too many of them. Most of them should just be part of the Nexus. >.<

I warned you guys....

horngeek
2010-07-20, 04:15 AM
I warned you guys....

To be fair, most of the new ones seem to take after BleachitP in that they're more directed.

In addition, they might have the same reason as we did in making BleachitP entirely seperate from ACRO waaaay back.

Quite simply, we didn't want the wackiness ACRO has- Bleach has no room for sniper kitties (sorry, Reinholdt). Or Exalted, Divine Champions or whatever, and our reasoning was that if we linked BleachitP to ACRO, those things WOULD come over, which we didn't want.

So, we seperated them.

Ashen Lilies
2010-07-20, 04:47 AM
I got an idea that is partially linked to the Nexus, but not really, and I wasn't really sure where to put it. Except now that Hogwarts ITP has sprung up, it would be too much like more of the same.

horngeek
2010-07-20, 05:35 AM
I got an idea that is partially linked to the Nexus, but not really, and I wasn't really sure where to put it. Except now that Hogwarts ITP has sprung up, it would be too much like more of the same.

Nope. The decision for it to be entirely seperate was quite deliberate.

For another thing, if they were linked, it would cause me some headaches, due to having two versions of the same character in BleachitP and ACRONYM (even though he's a lot more powerful in BleachitP). :smalltongue:

Ashen Lilies
2010-07-20, 05:38 AM
I... have no idea what you're talking about. Your reply to my post seems to operate on a different wavelength entirely. :smallconfused:

horngeek
2010-07-20, 05:47 AM
...which universe are you talking about?

I thought you were talking about BleachitP...

Ashen Lilies
2010-07-20, 06:00 AM
I talking about my one. The hypothetical, non-existent one that doesn't exist anywhere except in my head.

happyturtle
2010-07-20, 06:36 AM
The index in post three is updated with all the information I still have. It's still missing Camp Half-Blood, Naruto and Bleach and probably others. If you've posted this info and I just haven't seen it, please direct me to the post. :smallsmile:

Kaelaroth
2010-07-20, 11:01 AM

Make it a place in Nexus, then. People will try it out, it's worth a go.

Ashen Lilies
2010-07-20, 11:11 AM
My idea was for a Sunnydale-esque town, with a highschool/college and everything. The 'Hellmouth' as it were, would actually be a link to the Nexus, meaning characters could cross over, along with the more usual bogeymen. It'd be different though in that it would have a distinctly modern feel, and that being an utterly normal suburban town (snicker), magic would be kept on the down-low, so things like sniper-kitties and cyborgs are kept hush hush, rather than running rampant or being outright banned. I'm not sure if the setting would work if it were incorporated into the Nexus entirely.

Prime32
2010-07-20, 11:16 AM
My idea was for a Sunnydale-esque town, with a highschool/college and everything. The 'Hellmouth' as it were, would actually be a link to the Nexus, meaning characters could cross over, along with the more usual bogeymen. It'd be different though in that it would have a distinctly modern feel, and that being an utterly normal suburban town (snicker), magic would be kept on the down-low, so things like sniper-kitties and cyborgs are kept hush hush, rather than running rampant or being outright banned. I'm not sure if the setting would work if it were incorporated into the Nexus entirely.Maybe there's an MiB organisation who give disguises. Maybe most characters can only travel there in spirit form, or find their bodies altered to fit in for the duration of their stay.

The Bushranger
2010-07-20, 04:30 PM
My idea was for a Sunnydale-esque town, with a highschool/college and everything. The 'Hellmouth' as it were, would actually be a link to the Nexus, meaning characters could cross over, along with the more usual bogeymen. It'd be different though in that it would have a distinctly modern feel, and that being an utterly normal suburban town (snicker), magic would be kept on the down-low, so things like sniper-kitties and cyborgs are kept hush hush, rather than running rampant or being outright banned. I'm not sure if the setting would work if it were incorporated into the Nexus entirely.

Oh, you mean something like Enup's Modern Town? :smallconfused:
That was fun. :smallbiggrin:
Until it died. :smallfrown:
'Twould be great to have something like it back. :smallsmile:
(And maybe, just maybe, we could prod Rebo to bring back the PIGS. :smallamused: )

happyturtle
2010-07-20, 04:46 PM

Wasn't there a university thread sometime back?

McBish
2010-07-20, 07:25 PM
I would post that. I love regular joe's stuck in magic worlds.

Fan
2010-07-20, 08:33 PM
Wasn't there a university thread sometime back?

I believe I posted it..

Nothing much went on there...

Cealocanth
2010-07-21, 10:58 PM
Newcomer alert! I, Cealocanth, have decided that FFRP sounds like a lot of fun, however I need someone to point me toward the right couple threads to start RPing in and which universe to put my character. Where do I go to register my character and what threads are good for beginner FFRPers?

My character is named Erias. He is a professional dragonologist who travels the world in order to catalouge dragons and their many appearances. One goal of his is to save the many species of dragon from extinction, although dragons hostile toward the other races can be eliminated if necesarry. He is a fantasy-type character but can fit in to a more modern setting.

A Rainy Knight
2010-07-21, 11:08 PM
Hey Cealocanth! :smallsmile:

In my personal experience, joining an ACRONYM organization is where I've had the most fun in FFRP. I tried the general Town a few times but never really got attached to it in the same way as I did with HALO. Now, I'm a bit biased since I spend all my FFRP'ing time there, but I think the general HALO thread is a fine place to start up a character. If you want to start there I'd be happy to help you do it.

Character registries are linked to in a sticky at the top of the FFRP page, but I've done perfectly fine without ever registering mine. You might not want to follow my lazy example, though. :smalltongue:

EDIT: My mistake, the Nexus registry is apparently here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154882) now.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-07-21, 11:32 PM
Actually, while we're on the subject of new guys asking questions, I've been thinking about joining the untold thousands great number of players who are playing Nexus. However, I can honestly say I'm completely confused as to what is going on. Some of the confusion comes from the fact that there seems to be two parts in Nexus, ACRONYM and Town. So, I'm guessing the questions are these. One, what's the deal with Nexus? Two, what do I need to know about Nexus? Kind of the same question, eh? :smallredface:

Ashen Lilies
2010-07-21, 11:39 PM
The reason you'll find references to ACRONYM and Town around is because they used to be separate. They're one and the same now, under the catch-all [Nexus] tag, but you'll sometimes see threads from before the merge with [ACRO] or [TOWN] tags. This just means that they're old and crusty, and their thread renaming license is expired. Pay it no heed, we're all Nexus now.
The 'deal' with Nexus is that there's no single cosmology. The world itself is an eclectic mix of swords-and-sorcery, urban fantasy and science fiction, and the characters are even more broad. Bit more information here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154770).
Oh, and uh... 'WELCOME NEWCOMERS!' :biggrin:

Kaelaroth
2010-07-22, 07:18 AM

May I suggest an amendment to the idea? As we've hinted in the past, The Edge Chronicles are superbly awesome. So why not build a high-school/university-merged campus, with surrounding shops and halls, sitting on some isolated island, or giant floating rock. People from all over its world come there, for its apparently mystical properties, and super-duper learning, not knowing that it's on top of a huge portal to Hell.
It could well be IN the Nexus, but we've already established there're points of super-magic like the Weald, so perhaps this is an area of "low-magic". Magical entities find themselves humanised to some degree when there, and thus other weird stuff, like cyborgs and sniper kitties, have to keep on the down-low, because otherwise they'd be noticed far more.
Thus, you can have low-level stuff, scary beasts from below, a high-learning experience fun thread with students-fighting-vampires/algebra experience, and still have in it the Nexus - albeit in an area where mystical hijinks is rare, and rather feared.

And throw in loads of Buffy references.

Morty
2010-07-22, 07:25 AM
Newcomer alert! I, Cealocanth, have decided that FFRP sounds like a lot of fun, however I need someone to point me toward the right couple threads to start RPing in and which universe to put my character. Where do I go to register my character and what threads are good for beginner FFRPers?

My character is named Erias. He is a professional dragonologist who travels the world in order to catalouge dragons and their many appearances. One goal of his is to save the many species of dragon from extinction, although dragons hostile toward the other races can be eliminated if necesarry. He is a fantasy-type character but can fit in to a more modern setting.

The best place to start a Nexus character is either Taverna Generica or Trog's Tavern. You can put your character there, have him meet some people and then figure out what to have him do next.

Ashen Lilies
2010-07-22, 07:42 AM
May I suggest an amendment to the idea? As we've hinted in the past, The Edge Chronicles are superbly awesome. So why not build a high-school/university-merged campus, with surrounding shops and halls, sitting on some isolated island, or giant floating rock. People from all over its world come there, for its apparently mystical properties, and super-duper learning, not knowing that it's on top of a huge portal to Hell.
It could well be IN the Nexus, but we've already established there're points of super-magic like the Weald, so perhaps this is an area of "low-magic". Magical entities find themselves humanised to some degree when there, and thus other weird stuff, like cyborgs and sniper kitties, have to keep on the down-low, because otherwise they'd be noticed far more.
Thus, you can have low-level stuff, scary beasts from below, a high-learning experience fun thread with students-fighting-vampires/algebra experience, and still have in it the Nexus - albeit in an area where mystical hijinks is rare, and rather feared.

And throw in loads of Buffy references.

Maybe when Old Sanctaphrax was cut loose it crossed over and ended up in Nexus somewhere for the locals to tether it down?

Kaelaroth
2010-07-22, 07:45 AM
Maybe when Old Sanctaphrax was cut loose it crossed over and ended up in Nexus somewhere for the locals to tether it down?

With enough arcane nasties still lurking down there, in bottles or potions or wicked sigils to be used for fun hijinks now?

Sure! :smallbiggrin:

Cealocanth
2010-07-22, 07:57 AM
Thanks for your help everybody. I think I'll start small over in Trog's.

Trobby
2010-07-31, 10:43 PM
Note: Invite Only

Name of Universe:

Blackwing: Airship Pirates

Tag:

Description:

If ever there was a group that could call the sky their home, it would be the Blackwing Pirates. A ragtag group of mercenaries banded together by the dreaded Captain Tobias Johnson. For years they flew from port to port – raiding, looting, and supplying the world with illegal goods. Their exploits are legendary.

And this is the beginning of their story.

Background:

In 1918, the first Global War ended with the Grand Empire’s fall. The United Forces, having defeated the Empire, established a new order of rule among the nations, enforced by powerful mages and warships that patrolled the skies regularly.

In this age, there came a resurgence of Sky Piracy.

With the former Grand Empire cut off from open trade, many brave men risked the mighty blockade of the United Sky Alliance in order to bring in the supplies needed so badly by the broken nations of the Empire. Some countries, like the Independent Union of Nations, favored the piracy over strict regulation of the sky, and paid these pirates a pretty penny to bring in goods without the heavy tariffs enforced by the USA.

Of course, some Airway Men were simply in it to get rich, and could care less about politics.

That…is what I have so far. It is post-World War I (about 8 years after) and piracy in the skies has become extremely popular. Airships run on both magic and by natural means. Electricity has fallen out of favor thanks to the inventor Thomas Edison, who discourages the use of Nicolas Tesla’s “electric inventions” in favor of his steam-powered wonders.

Mages are not overly powerful, but prominent. They are known to have served in the war, but it has also become very common to practice wizardry and sorcery in spare time.

Races, like Orcs and catfolk, exist in the world as offshoots of the human race. They are at the same time considered equal and unequal, though in large part this diversity in life has caused most racism to fade.

Your captain, Sir Tobias Johnson, served in the war as a first mate, but was dishonorably discharged for disorderly conduct, possibly involving stolen supplies. He is a respected airship captain, but not a respected gentleman, though he fancies himself one. Naturally, he is looking for a crew to his own private airship. He requires a navigator, an engineer, a ship board doctor, a first mate, a weapons expert, and preferably at least one pilot. Of course, he will also need general help to manage his ship and move the precious cargo, and he will need the crew’s utmost loyalty.

Character limitations:

Characters must fit within the 1920’s alternate universe setting described above. They can be of nearly any race, but must be written to fit the style of the setting.

Founding Player:

Introbulus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=15441)

Interested players:

We are not currently taking new players. World is limited to players who are invited only.

Other notes:

Players must submit a profile of their character. Preferably in this format:

Character Portrait
[B]Name
Height:
Weight:
Country of Origin:
Professions:
Current Occupation:
Last known location:
Dangerous Possessions:
Other Items of Note:
Disposition:

Background Information

Style:

Fantasy/Steampunk setting, with romantic high-seas adventures and banditry.

What makes this different from other FFRPGs?

The Blackwing Pirate Universe contains a unique setting, a small, but highly varied group of characters, and a running plot with a heavy focus on the interactions between characters in-between plot points. The setting is a mix of some of the more traditional fantasy elements and the Steampunk technology, brought up to the 1920’s shortly after a major war.

Maximum Zersk
2010-07-31, 11:21 PM
Fantasy/Steampunk setting, with romantic high-seas adventures and banditry.

Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Interested players:

We are not currently taking new players. World is limited to players who are invited only.

Aw... :smallfrown:

Fan
2010-08-01, 07:26 AM
If it's Invite only, why isn't it in Play by Post?:smallconfused:

happyturtle
2010-08-01, 07:52 AM
It doesn't have a GM and it's freeform, so I told Intro it could probably go either way. *shrug*

Fan
2010-08-01, 08:05 AM
It doesn't have a GM and it's freeform, so I told Intro it could probably go either way. *shrug*

It is admittedly a little on the fence, but I thought that FFRP was more about Community Based threads.

However, I have seen similar deals in play by post, where the "GM'ing" is very loose, a similar game (in running style, not theme) Imperial Guard itp, got moved by Roland to PbP from Media Discussions, whereas the "What's your Zanpaktou?" thread that is now Bleachitp (Also requiring an approval process... as of last year, but not when it started.), got moved here.

I'd say it's fine, but I'm in general favor of anything requiring an approval process being moved on over to Play by Post.

That's my opinion though, and I wont get offended if you run it here anyways, I was just curious.

happyturtle
2010-08-01, 08:07 AM
I'm not sure the mods have ever defined what goes here vs what goes there.

Fan
2010-08-01, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure the mods have ever defined what goes here vs what goes there.

Again, I'm merely curious, that and things where you have to have an approved entry / an invite is generally what separates a PbP from an FFRP game.

*shrug*

You do have a point though, the Mods have never quite defined what goes where in the FFRP, and PBP deal.

The invite system is really the only reason I'm even curious.

Trobby
2010-08-01, 09:20 AM
Well to be fair, I'm only not accepting new applicants right NOW. I might open it up for later...heck, I might even encourage people to start their own pirate ships in the same universe. It really depends on how well the first thread goes.

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-06, 08:15 PM
Okay, maybe I should have done this earlier....

I'm supposed to do it here, right?

Name of Universe: Fullmetal Alchemist ITP
Tag: FMAITP
Description: An RP taking place in the FMA Universe
Character limitations: Must fit the setting, and not overpowered.
Founding player(s): Maximum Zersk
Interested players: Uh... a lot of people? To be added?
Other notes: None
Style: Alchemy/Shounen/Storytelling
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? It takes place in the FMA Universe, and is more guided and is less tolerant of silliness than the Nexus is.

happyturtle
2010-08-06, 09:15 PM
Yup. I'll add you to the index. :smallsmile:

Innis Cabal
2010-08-12, 11:39 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163939

New game created about psychic highschool children based in a small city in Japan built to house these new age ESPer's. We're accepting characters at the moment, though the game isn't set to start for a little while. It's a little more focused then Nexus, with structred plots, though the game is mostly character driven, their actions creating how the plot moves to it's end. The group is made up of some veteran Free Form Role Players who will be more then happy to help new or prospective players learn the setting and make characters either via a chat service, PM or in our OOC thread (Linked Above).

Academy City is an open ended game that anyone can join and are encouraged to! If you are interested in joining the game, please let us know in the current OOC thread, where we can help you collect your ideas, define your character, find a position Academy City (or other groups), and even assist you with Japanese translations that you may require. Once you have defined your character concept, post it to -—-, using either the format used in the other profiles in the thread or using your own so people can check out your character before they enter play. If the okay is given (and it generally will be, even if your idea might need a little tweaking) then post the character on here. After that, you are free to post in whichever IC thread is appropriate for your character and join the fun!

The game is based on To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Aru_Kagaku_no_Railgun). As a group we also have a wiki (http://railgunitp.wikidot.com/start)dedicated to creating a viable and swift resource site for all in game information. While the game is based on To Aru Kagaku no Railgun, we are only using the World Setting, and no existing characters. Instead, we urge and encourage players to make characters of their very own to interact with the world.

Our Tag is [Rail]

Ashen Lilies
2010-08-12, 11:57 PM
I think saying that every new universe is more structured than the Nexus seems to be somewhat redundant at this point, seeing as the wildness of Nexus has become the exception, rather than the norm. If anything, I should probably write something in the Nexus OoC OP that says the Nexus is less structured than all the other universes out there.

Terry576
2010-08-13, 12:18 AM
I think saying that every new universe is more structured than the Nexus seems to be somewhat redundant at this point, seeing as the wildness of Nexus has become the exception, rather than the norm. If anything, I should probably write something in the Nexus OoC OP that says the Nexus is less structured than all the other universes out there.

Which, after a while, get's pretty fracking boring. At least in Nexus we can have random Dance Intervals.

Over in the more structured ones, it's "Oh look. ANOTHER structured FFRP game."

PallElendro
2010-08-20, 01:30 PM
Name of Universe: StarCraft In The Playground
Tag: [SC]
Description: We got your basic factions of the Koprulu Sector, and all in their basic wars and alliances
Character limitations: Must be Terran, Zerg, or Protoss
Founding player(s): PallElendro
Interested players: (to be added during the discussion/recruitment period)
Other notes: We'll have one thread for the Terrans, and we'll have separate threads for Zerg and Protoss
Style: War Game
What makes this different from other FFRPGs? This one involves more action.

This thread now comes to Recruitment.

Morty
2010-08-20, 01:31 PM
This one involves more action.

More action than the Nexus? I find it somewhat hard to believe. :smalltongue:

Prime32
2010-08-20, 02:12 PM
More action than the Nexus? I find it somewhat hard to believe. :smalltongue:Well, I supp- *shoots Morty, then swings away on a grappling hook while throwing grenades and firing laser vision*

The Bushranger
2010-08-20, 03:01 PM
Well, I supp- *shoots Morty, then swings away on a grappling hook, screaming like Tarzan, while throwing grenades and firing laser vision*

Fixed it for you.

Maxios
2010-08-25, 03:50 PM
Name of Universe: Global Defense Unit
Tag: GDU
Description: A group called the GDU protects it's native country of each unit from dangers, and on occasion, the world
Character limitations: Set list of gadgets. Must be human. Must be a GDU member.
Founding player(s): Maxios, The Antagonist, Instinct
Interested players: The antagonist, instinct
Other notes:
Style: Action/Spy/James Bond/Thriller
What makes this different from other FFRPGs?: It's action packed, and filled with encounters with badguys and adventures

ApeofLight
2010-08-25, 11:19 PM
And how is the Nexus or any other FFRP not filled with action, encounters with badguys and adventures?

Really, I'm starting to get tired of seeing all of these new FFRP's popping up that could easily be a part of the nexus. I mean I can see why some of these threads need to be separate from the nexus, mainly the AnimesITP, but that's because there focusing more on the story than anything else but even then.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding mean or anything like that but I can just see GBU and so many other new ideas for FFRP be incorporated with what's already there. I think an organization like this based in the nexus would be a better idea than starting an entire new universe for it.

Just my two cents and it will probably be ignored anyways. Maybe I'm just bitter and wanting to see the Nexus return to it's former glory... oh, well...

Falgorn
2010-08-26, 11:14 AM
And how is the Nexus or any other FFRP not filled with action, encounters with badguys and adventures?

Really, I'm starting to get tired of seeing all of these new FFRP's popping up that could easily be a part of the nexus. I mean I can see why some of these threads need to be separate from the nexus, mainly the AnimesITP, but that's because there focusing more on the story than anything else but even then.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding mean or anything like that but I can just see GBU and so many other new ideas for FFRP be incorporated with what's already there. I think an organization like this based in the nexus would be a better idea than starting an entire new universe for it.

Just my two cents and it will probably be ignored anyways. Maybe I'm just bitter and wanting to see the Nexus return to it's former glory... oh, well...

Gotta agree with you there, Ape. I also think there are too many universes, but I'm not sure how we would integrate them. They have their own...stories and such.

Maxios
2010-08-26, 12:40 PM
Ah...it's a lot sarcastic, somewhat realistic, and IT HAS A WIKIA! gduitp.wikispaces.com The wikia isn't large yet, but it will be soon enough.

Innis Cabal
2010-08-26, 12:55 PM

The answer is pretty simple really, I think. Because people don't want them to be. People want their own separate worlds where they can run things as they want, and not have it be part of the status quo. I remember early on when the first of what has been dubbed the "AnimeITP" started (Which was the original Bleachitp), a lot of the Nexus people came in and tried to bridge the "Gap" between the two universes, seeking to integrate the two. And I can honestly say it felt sorta...uninviting.

And I think that's one of the reason as well, at least underlying it. I don't think the Freeform Board feels all to excepting or inviting. Not that it feels altogether hostile for new people or new ideas, it just doesn’t feel...friendly. And I think that turns a lot of people off to the existing status quo, so they want to make their own universe. They feel they won't be able to tell their story either because the majority says they don't want the story (with such lines as "we sorta don't do this storyline" or "That's frowned upon here") or the particular style isn't acceptable (in the case of what's been dubbed the "Animeitp" I've seen more than several people try to join in other games, note the players in them and drop saying "We don't want to RP with you Anime people").

This is just my two cents on the matter really, but seeing in the Freeform Community thread all these people saying the above quote or similar…I don’t think it engenders an open and excepting community. Also with such attitudes that there are various groups that somehow can’t RP based purely on the Universe they run also seems to contradict and stand in the way of making an open and excepting community that can’t integrate. And I really don’t see a solution to it other than what’s going on now. Separate threads for games people want to run. If people want to start a character in Nexus or Bleach Rebornitp or any of the other various games, they should roll up a character in them and discuss with the community in the game itself. It’s certainly not hurting anyone to keep how things are going now the same.

ApeofLight
2010-08-26, 01:16 PM
Look, I'm not saying I'm against new universes coming in and people enjoying them and creating them, in fact I'm for it. It's just that I want these universes to be distinct and interesting and not just carbon copies of existing FFRP's with just a few details changed.

If there is plenty of interest for this GDUitp thing than that's good, go for it. All I'm saying is make the universe interesting and different from everything else. The reason why some of these Animeitp work so well is because there able to focus on the storyline instead of being a lot of little personal stories all going at the same time. I guess I'm just saying, diverse and interesting universes=good and same generic universes=bad.

I'm sorry if people discouraged the Animeitp FFRPers for there style of roleplay but I think it's that universes loss if they don't want people there. I'm also sorry if I'm just sounding bitter and negative but I don't mean to be. I think anybody should be able to come to the FFRP and have fun anywhere in here. I guess I should just say welcome everybody to the FFRP, hope you have fun and I'll shut up now.

Morty
2010-08-26, 01:19 PM
Ah...it's a lot sarcastic, somewhat realistic, and IT HAS A WIKIA! gduitp.wikispaces.com The wikia isn't large yet, but it will be soon enough.

Still nothing that makes this FFRPverse somehow unable to simply be a part of the Nexus or another FFRP, thus reducing the clutter.
And Innis Cabal: that's a lot of words for a "simple answer". :smalltongue: Apart from that, I can honestly say I have no where you're coming from. Characters from all sorts of genres fit in the Nexus. If there are issues, it's about things such as godmodding, overpowered characters, abundance of curtains and such. I've never, ever seen anyone criticized for the type of character they play or their RPing style. Some people don't get along with others, but there are enough players for everyone to have someone they can play with.
However, you're still missing the point. It's not about new universes per se. It's about the fact that people seem to be making new ones at the drop of a hat, without thinking "will it work and last longer than a week?". Or asking here, in this very thread, about interest for such a game instead of simply making it.

Maxios
2010-08-26, 01:21 PM
Name of Universe: Global Defense Unit
Tag: GDU
Description: In a near future, a secret orginization protects earth. It has a unit in every country, and it protects it's country from evil. Rarely, every unit works together to defeat an ultimate evil. They fight against orgizations such as Warrior, or Ghost who would try to destroy or conquer. To those who don't know the truth, the GDU is a simple conspiracy theory, or a myth. And you've just been drafted for it...
Character limitations: Set list of gadgets. Must be human. Must be a GDU member.
Founding player(s): Maxios, The Antagonist, Instinct
Interested players: The antagonist, instinct
Other notes:
Style: Action/Spy/James Bond/Thriller
What makes this different from other FFRPGs?: It's action packed, and filled with encounters with badguys and adventures. It's set on a near future of earth, where it has the near same technology, but the goverment has top secret amazing gadgets like laser rifles, or elite power armor, or jet boots.

Innis Cabal
2010-08-26, 01:38 PM
Still nothing that makes this FFRPverse somehow unable to simply be a part of the Nexus or another FFRP, thus reducing the clutter.
And Innis Cabal: that's a lot of words for a "simple answer". :smalltongue: Apart from that, I can honestly say I have no where you're coming from. Characters from all sorts of genres fit in the Nexus. If there are issues, it's about things such as godmodding, overpowered characters, abundance of curtains and such. I've never, ever seen anyone criticized for the type of character they play or their RPing style. Some people don't get along with others, but there are enough players for everyone to have someone they can play with.
However, you're still missing the point. It's not about new universes per se. It's about the fact that people seem to be making new ones at the drop of a hat, without thinking "will it work and last longer than a week?". Or asking here, in this very thread, about interest for such a game instead of simply making it.

I wasn't particularly speaking out against the treatment of players…that was more a side observation. My main point, and you’ve brought it more to the fore front, was that it doesn’t matter how long the game is going to last, what it’s interest level is, or even if it’s a generic world setting with lots of little plots or big grand storylines. If someone wants to make a separate thread without connection to Nexus, or Cracklords games or the “Animeitp” people as they seem to have been dubbed…then it’s their prerogative. They shouldn’t be told they have to combine their game with Nexus. Or Bleach Reborn if they want to run a similar game, or anything else like that. On the "clutter" issue…everyone has to deal with it. New games and old alike, it’s not something one group has to “suffer” through alone. And if the game is short lived, lasts a whole week, it’s going to fall off the main page and…that’s the end of that. The “Clutter” deals with itself, if the game doesn’t get enough support, it dies. If it does, it stays on the main page and becomes a major universe. Calling it all “clutter” isn’t all that polite either.

Morty
2010-08-26, 01:49 PM
Of course everyone can create any thread they want and noone can forbid them from it. What I'm saying is, not every idea will work. Sometimes, they simply aren't built to last, so to speak. It's sad, but true. Note that two of the biggest FFRPverses, Twilight/Eragon thread and the Anime threads that started with BleachItp originated somewhere else, in Media Discussions. Which means they had a player base before they were even formed. And the fact that the forum is crowded doesn't help.
And it could all be avoided by simply asking here about the interest, where it will be more likely to be noticed and located in the thread which specific purpose is to discuss the things that concern the whole FFRP subforum. This way, the author of a potential FFRP will find out what people thing about it without crowding the subforum.

Innis Cabal
2010-08-26, 02:02 PM
Then they don't last. No harm done to anyone really. They get removed from the front page, the people who arn't interested don't care either way, and life moves on. Cutting everything down to several universes isn't going to get rid of the multiple threads. At least this way, the people who are really bothered only have to "suffer" through it for a week, two at most. Not everyone thinks this thread is a good idea. Some people don't want to be part of the community as a big wide whole. This thread is really only around for the people who want to use it, I suspect the vast majority of players ignore it out of hand. Not that I am a member of that field obviously, but I'm only thinking about this all realistically.

No one is put out by the mass number of threads. And really, between subscriptions and threads you visit being highlit and check marked...I don't see how anyone could lose the threads they post in so long as they remain on the main page. And, considering Nexus, Cracklords games and the primary "Animeitp" threads (as a previous member, I can honestly say I find such a term a little distasteful) are always on the first page...I fail to see the problem. Or for that matter, if there's really a problem at all.

happyturtle
2010-08-26, 02:43 PM
Roland has officially said (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9225629&postcount=11) that it's up to the community to come up with our own ways of organizing the forum. Which means this thread needs to exist. Now that we've (finally!) gotten them to say which threads go here and which go in Ongoing Games, the question is not "Which games go here?" but "How do we get it organized?"

I'm not going to get into the question of 'should new games exist'. They do, they're here, and if they meet the criteria linked above, they belong here.

Lets get into some ideas for how to organize them and how to help match up players with games. And lets do it in a friendly way, please. We may be competing a bit for players and jockeying for front page notice, but we can still all be friends. :smallsmile:

I can honestly say, if I were a newbie walking into this subforum, I would have no idea what the heck was going on or where I might be welcome. The index I am trying to keep is kind of fail since I'm not going back in and deleting the games that don't make it. (Mostly because I can't really think of a way to verify that. If a game falls off the first page, did it fail, or is it just slow moving?) And it also doesn't contain links to the ooc threads of the universes in question because keeping those links up to date is a far more daunting task than one person can be expected to do.

My new idea is a stickied werewolf central like thread. The first few posts of this thread would have the 'guide to new players' and how to tell if the game you're thinking of goes here or in Ongoing Games, and the rest would be general discussion. New players would post there and say 'Hi, I'm George Newbie. Where do I start?' and people could then make pitches to George to convince him to come to their 'verse, and give him the current links. Or if George says "Hi, I want to start my own universe about a world of purple aardvarks" we can tell him if [PA] 'verse already exists and where to find it.

Thoughts?

Draken
2010-08-26, 03:00 PM
Roland has officially said (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9225629&postcount=11) that it's up to the community to come up with our own ways of organizing the forum. Which means this thread needs to exist. Now that we've (finally!) gotten them to say which threads go here and which go in Ongoing Games, the question is not "Which games go here?" but "How do we get it organized?"

I'm not going to get into the question of 'should new games exist'. They do, they're here, and if they meet the criteria linked above, they belong here.

Lets get into some ideas for how to organize them and how to help match up players with games. And lets do it in a friendly way, please. We may be competing a bit for players and jockeying for front page notice, but we can still all be friends. :smallsmile:

I can honestly say, if I were a newbie walking into this subforum, I would have no idea what the heck was going on or where I might be welcome. The index I am trying to keep is kind of fail since I'm not going back in and deleting the games that don't make it. (Mostly because I can't really think of a way to verify that. If a game falls off the first page, did it fail, or is it just slow moving?) And it also doesn't contain links to the ooc threads of the universes in question because keeping those links up to date is a far more daunting task than one person can be expected to do.

My new idea is a stickied werewolf central like thread. The first few posts of this thread would have the 'guide to new players' and how to tell if the game you're thinking of goes here or in Ongoing Games, and the rest would be general discussion. New players would post there and say 'Hi, I'm George Newbie. Where do I start?' and people could then make pitches to George to convince him to come to their 'verse, and give him the current links. Or if George says "Hi, I want to start my own universe about a world of purple aardvarks" we can tell him if [PA] 'verse already exists and where to find it.

Thoughts?

As usual, turtle speaks entirely agreeable things.

Morty
2010-08-26, 03:02 PM
Indeed. I support both her points and the proposal for making a thread with the purpose of guiding new players.

Kaelaroth
2010-08-26, 03:04 PM
Indeed. I support both her points and the proposal for making a thread with the purpose of guiding new players.

Me too. :smallsmile:

Prime32
2010-08-26, 03:13 PM
*nod*

The stickies definitely need an update. I think one still refers to the FFRP section as "The Town". In the context of "which section should this thread go in".

Would it be possible to get some subforums here? I forget whether that causes slowdown.

Kaelaroth
2010-08-26, 03:17 PM
Would it be possible to get some subforums here? I forget whether that causes slowdown.

I think us getting subforums here is very, very unlikely - mostly because it'd require a lot of work from those who look after the forum without masses of payoff - given that there'd likely be much, much fuss over how those subforums are divided - and then we'd be in a similar situation to the one we're in now.

Prime32
2010-08-26, 03:18 PM
Would "one for Nexus, one for everything else" be too controversial?

happyturtle
2010-08-26, 03:19 PM
Introduction
Hello, and welcome to the guide to the FFRP section on GiTP forums. This guide is intended to provide helpful information for newcomers to the FFRP forum.

What is the FFRP forum all about? It's about playing a character in a universe or setting, with different threads in the forum representing different places within the universe or setting. You move your character from thread to thread to travel around.

Universes

First, we need to address these universes and settings. The FFRP section is divided into different role playing universes.

ACRONYM is named for the acronym organizations, groups of like minded individuals, the names of which are acronyms. ACRO is set in the Nexus, an expansive all incorporating multi-verse. ACRO is multi-genre and multi-setting, and basically any character, plot and setting is acceptable for play here. Theoretically, there can be crossovers between TOWN and ACRO, but this is rare.

The Town is set in, appropriately enough, the city of TOWN. Here any race can be found, and the technology level varies. Theoretically, there can be crossovers between TOWN and ACRO, but this is rare.

Metropolis is a lower-power sci-fi "inspired" universe, set in a prison city on Earth, where innate superhumans, and other undesirables, have been sent to. Magic, and certain other things, are not acceptable here. Metropolis is its own separate universe with no overlap, connection, or crossovers with TOWN, ACRO, or Bleachitp.

BleachitP is a universe based on the popular shonen anime and manga Bleach. Apart from this, it's main difference is that the story is a lot more directed than the other universes. Bleachitp is its own separate universe with no overlap, connection, or crossovers with TOWN, ACRO, or Metropolis.

Each of these FFRP universes has an OOC thread where you can introduce yourself, ask questions, and get a feel to see if you would be interested in that universe.

Please note that while this information is current as of this posting, time changes all things. Some FFRP universes might die out, some new ones may be born, and the existing ones might change. In general they should follow these guidelines, but always err on the side of caution and ask the people in the verse before assuming anything.

These universes obviously cater to different audiences and employ different genres, moods, tones, and themes. But they do share a few things in common, these being the rules. Now, these rules aren't absolutes. Different universes, threads, and posters might be more or less permissive than these rules, and there is always room for a little variation.

The first rule of FFRP that we need to address is godmodding.

The Rules

Godmodding: What it is and How to Avoid it
Written by Vael

Godmodding: Taking control of someone else's character without their expressive permission. This term applies to any extent of control, especially including any reactions to something you have done.

Using this definition of godmodding condenses our rule ‘Do not Godmod’ to one very simple but inclusive rule: Do not control someone else’s character. This seems a simple enough thing to avoid, but in some situations (such as combat) people take control in a limited way without realizing it.
Still using combat as our example, here are three examples of godmodding. One blatant, one general, and one subtle in successive order:
(And yes, Vael is me. Darn my godmodding! :smallwink:)

1. Vael shoots a blast of energy at (PC) and the energy rends (PC) who falls dead with a wail.
2. Vael swings a sword at (PC) and strikes home, leaving a small angry red line of blood.
The third example is split into two posts by two separate people to show the entire situation:
3. Post (PC) – (PC) draws his weapon and readies himself for combat, going on the defensive.
Post (Vael) – Vael slashes (NPC), giving him a gaping wound and reverses the attack, striking at (PC)

The first example of godmodding is obvious, I attacked someone and killed them, usurping all of their control over their character, not even allowing them to describe how they died.
The second example is fairly noticeable as well. I attacked and rather than allowing them control over their character, I went ahead and said that they were hit rather than giving them a chance to respond.
The last one is a rather subtle godmod, though it is still there. I did not post a definite reaction for the PC, only saying that I attacked them. I did not kill anyone’s NPC without their permission, only using the NPC with general license. However, what I did do was presume that I hit the NPC. What if (PC), or another person nearby had wanted to prevent me from harming the NPC? I effectively denied them a chance to react to my attack, though my use of the NPC was okay.

Godmodding in non-combat situations is just as bad as doing it within combat. Some examples of non-combat godmodding are as follows:

1. Vael casts Heal and cures (PC)’s wounds.
2. Stealthily Vael picks (PC)’s pocket and steals (something).
3. Vael dodges the bouncer blocking the door and runs outside.

In the first example I did not allow someone the chance to say how grievous their injury was, or even if they had something that would resist healing spells. In short, they lost a chance to react. You would normally assume people like getting healed, but in town people are crazy, so you never know.
Second example. What if the character is sharp-eyed, clever, or simple lucky? Again, try to do something rather than succeed.
Third example. Now this seems okay, and perhaps in responding to someone else’s post it would be. But if someone says “I block the door” and you run past them without letting them respond, it is godmodding. This, perhaps, is not the best example, as it could be either godmodding or a reaction statement that is fine. I include it merely so that you can see that there are different levels to godmodding, and that it is complex to determine whether some things are godmodding are not. If you aren’t sure, don’t act, try to act.

Now that I have defined godmodding and given some examples, the question to answer is: How can I avoid godmodding by accident?
The answer is this: You can try to do anything to someone, but they control what actually happens to themselves. Never deny someone a chance to react, no matter what you do. Before you post, consider what you have written. Do you directly affect someone with it, adversely or positively? Do you block them off from some options that someone would normally have in their situation? If the answer to either question is yes, you probably need to revise your post.
Note, however, that the definition states that this is only godmodding if you do not have someone’s permission. If you obtain someone’s OOC permission to godmod, then feel free to godmod against them within their restraints. However, I recommend that you merely work out someone’s response before time, just in case something unexpected comes up (like another player interfering).

However, just as bad as taking control of someone else's character is making your own never get affected by them. As Regiji says: "The counter part to an irresistable force is an immovable object." Therefore, you should let people at least achieve SOMETHING when they attempt to affect you. You don't have to all the time, but if your character is continually "immovable" you will be godmodding, and people will be extremely likely to ignore you. So don't just "I dodge" everything, okay? Let people do something to you if they try.
Also note that there is another form of godmodding similar to the above, which will be known as ‘passive godmodding’ (kudos to Iames for the name). Passive godmodding is when a player ignores an entirely legitimate post for little to no reason. If you miss reading a post, that is one thing, but to ignore a post intentionally is very bad form. You are allowed to react to someone’s post in nearly any way you want, but ignoring it really should not be done unless they are godmodding or adversely affecting an ongoing plot without permission.

Threads

As stated way back at the beginning of this guide, in FFRP, a thread represents a location in which interactions take place. You move your character from place to place by moving from thread to thread.

There are a few different types of threads.

Out of Character threads are for discussion and banter not within the narrative of the roleplay. These should be your first stop when starting in an FFRP universe.

Public threads constitute the majority of threads in FFRP. These threads represent IC locations that are open to all characters. You can pretty much just hop in, get to interacting, and have fun.

Closed threads and plot threads are beasts of a different nature. Closed threads are private places, open to only a select few or only reachable only through certain IC means. Plot threads are usually created to contain the events of a plot, and are usually open only to those involved with that plot.

To find out where you can post you should read the first post of the thread to see if it contains any relevant information (which it usually does), ask in the OOC, or ask a participant or creator of the thread via PM or some other means.

Plot

Plot is a term applied to events or series of events comprising a storyline. Plots are either created by players deliberately or emerge out of natural, normal interactions. In plots, people sometimes mess around with the rules a bit. Godmodding of a limited form might be permitted if it aids the plot.

Also, plots can also be somewhat resistant to outside interference. While I personally encourage people to be flexible, to not plan for their plots to end in a certain way, and to be open to new influence, it is true that, for the most part, plots are resistant to interaction from people who are not participating in the plot. This will vary from universe to universe, plot to plot, and from user to user.

Deadtime

A deadtime is a state in which your characters cannot be harmed, but cannot interact with anything around them. You put your characters into deadtime when you are about to log off and stop roleplaying for a bit. A character in a deadtime cannot be affected by anything going on around it.

If a character is deadtimed, and a plot or series of events would likely evoke a reaction from that character, it is polite to wait for the character to undeadtime and react before advancing the plot or events.

Some verses might have IC explanations for deadtimes.

The Curtain

The curtain is employed when two characters become physically intimate. When two or more characters decide to have sex, the curtain falls to shield the eyes of the innocent from the festivities and to give some privacy for the participants. This is to both a) abide by the forum rules and b) to keep things relatively family friendly.

Etiquette for when to pull the curtain varies from universe to universe, thread to thread, and probably from poster to poster. Bottom line is that everyone should be comfortable with the actions you have posted, and anything violating forums rules is a no no.

Tips For RPing
Written by Artemis97

Tips For RPing

And so, let's begin. In no particular order...

Character Speech

When someone is speaking, we need to know who! Speech colors help to differentiate speech from normal narration, and each of our characters from each other, but if other players do not know to who each particular color belongs, all we see are disembodied words. When two or three people do this over the course of a few pages, it gets very confusing. So tell us who's talking!

So, instead of: Hi! How's it going?

Try: Bob says, Hi! How's it going?

Also, I humbly suggest we all start using quotation marks. I will admit this is a pet peeve of mine, and not entirely necessary, but it is proper English and if you accidentally miss a color tag, or don't even want to use colors, your text is still understood.

So: Bob says, "Hi! How are you?"

New: Another thing, try to use your character's name every few posts. If all we see is 'he' or 'she' all we learn is the speaker's gender. And try and include a brief description when you enter a new place, or are talking with people who might not know who, or what, your character is. That way we don't spend ten pages having a normal conversation with what turns out to be a "Ten foot tall undead wookie."

Next up...

Location Tags

Some threads in FFRP are larger locations that may have smaller locations within them. Even a single building has many rooms. Using location tags helps us all know where your characters are and where the action is at, helps us know who and what our characters can and cannot see, and keeps things organized for those of us reading through large threads and following only one storyline. They're pretty simple, just put where you are at the top of your post.

Like so:

Streets

And then your post continues... blah, blah... you get the idea.

Some of us put brackets around the location, to further seperate it.

[Streets]

And some bold it to make it that much more noticeable.

Streets or [Streets]

Location tags are handy things. Even if your characters are just upstairs in the Taverna, it keeps us all from thinking they're in the middle of the common room.

Moving on...

Big Scenes

That is, scenes involving more than two or three players. Now, I know we're all bored and we all want to make our characters talk and do stuff, but we need to exercise a little patience and keep our fellow Players in mind. Especially during a big fight, give everyone a chance to respond. We all type at different speeds, and some of us might have a little more to say than others. In either case, if the situation we're responding to changes, we have to spend more time editting out posts to reflect the change. If this happens multiple times, it can make a player feel left behind and alienated.

This brings up another topic

Editting

If I edit, and you edit, then he edits, but I edit again.... it gets really confusing. Again, just exercise a little patience, maybe wait until your next post to reflect the change.

Lonely Characters

If you see someone put a character into a thread that isn't seeing a lot of action, throw a character their way. It doesn't have to be one of your regular characters, heck it doesn't need to be a character at all. A monster suddenly popping out of nowhere make things rather interesting and can cause some fun for both parties. Anyways, my point is, don't leave your fellow players hanging. When it seems like no one wants to interact with you or your character, it alienates you. We lose players this way. I know we don't mean to be unfriendly, but it really isn't a nice thing.

This goes double if the player in question is new to the sub-forums. Don't let us lose people before they even start to play. FFRP is a fun place, let's share it with them.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. Like I said before, this is meant to be a discussion. Feel free to make your own suggestions. And I want to say again that none of this is meant to hurt anyone. This is done in a hope to help all of us.

Thanks for listening, and please do weigh in.

~Artemis

"Wow! FFRP looks like fun! How do I get started?"
Every roleplaying universe is different, and more may come to exist after this guide is written. So go to the OOC thread of the universe you're thinking of playing in and introduce yourself. That is the first step, and then the other players can give you the specific details on their universe. Have fun!

Credits for this FAQ:
Neon Knight for organization and writing
happyturtle for a guideline, feed back, and ending section
horngeek for the BLEAChitp description
Shades of Gray for TOWN description
Kaelaroth for Metropolis description
Vael for her excellent rule write ups
Artemis97 for Roleplaying Tips Section
Anyone who provided feedback

Okay, how about we start here and begin editing? There's not going to be any easy way to keep the universe section up to date unless we limit it to only established universes. If your universe has existed 6 months or more, and is still going strong, you can request that a blurb be added to the OP. Does this sound fair?

@ subforums: I believe the mods have ruled out making new subforums, though I suppose it never hurts to ask if everyone agrees the Nexus should be split off.

Prime32
2010-08-26, 03:21 PM
There's a summary of the verses a few pages back.

{table=head]Name|Tag|Approx. Age|Still active?|Notes
Nexus|[Nexus]|5 yrs|Yes|Includes Acro and Town
- ACRO|{colsp=4}[ACRO]
- Town|{colsp=4}[Town]
Metropolis|[Metro]|2 yrs|No|Superhero universe
Bleach|[BleachITP]|1.5 yrs|No new characters|Currently in final story arc
Bleach Reborn|[BitP:R]|4 mnth|Yes|Reboot of BleachitP
Camp Half-Blood|[CHB]|6 mnth|Yes|
GONE|
Final Fantasy|[FFitP]|Brand New|Yes
Wheel of Time|
Organized Crime|[OCitp]|1 mnth|Yes|
Eragon/Twilight Lynching|||Yes|Has a TVTropes page (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LynchingITP)
Dead Plains Drifter|
Pokémon|||No|Now in Structured
Super Robot Wars|[SRWitP]|2 mnth|Yes (setup)|Characters from existing mecha anime/manga/etc. allowed
Naruto|[NarutoITP]|8 mnth|Yes
Supers|
[/table]
Ages might need updating.

Kaelaroth
2010-08-26, 03:24 PM
@ Prime: I think it could end up being controversial, yes, but if no one objects.. :smallsmile:

@ HT: I think the six month rule's a good one - and do feel free to erase Metropolis from the list.

Neknoh
2010-08-26, 05:22 PM
I'll probably be asking this in more places than one, but I figured I should write it here.

Looking for people for a Free Form Horror Experience

The name of the game would be something akin to Lovecraft ITP or Darkness ITP or something similar. Other possibillites that have been considered would be "Bright Eyes" or "Innocence" (Innocence Lost?).

The setting would be an old fishing town on the coast of England, complete with docks and run down houses as well as a hotel, a factory or two and an old hospital facillity where people went to rest and sooth the mind (this would also include a mental department).

Every night, a thick mist rolls in from the ocean, and sometimes, one can hear something respond to the horn of the firehouse, it sounds like something ancient, something... dying. The cry rolls in with the tide some nights, originating from somewhere out at sea, if it is far away, deep down, or just outside of the cove where the village lies, none can tell.

There have always been strange things happening in this town, strange sights and occasional dissapearances, but as of late, these have increased frequently, noone knows why.

All the player characters would be in the town for one reason or another, be they a university student or professor, a reporter or a police, an old fisherman or a young girl. Needless to say, none should have any superpowers to speak of, everyone should be human.

And the biggest catch of them all? The players should all help create their own horror, their own nightmare, maybe different ones, maybe something reoccuring every night. This RP will be a descent into darkness, and a quest for survival and to find out why all of this is happening, but it could take so many different twists and turns along the way.

Of course, no godmodding of others, but also, no godmodding or instant debunking of the nightmares of others. Interactions would be fine, but running up and pulling a bedsheet out of thin air going "look, it was just your imagination" wont be allowed. The characters will experience the horrors of the town from their perspective, but also from the perspective of others. Some horrors might turn out to be imagined if the players will, others will be very real.

We're building a lovecraftian town, a town where strange things stalk the minds. But also a town where strange gray men take your loved ones in the bleak starlight, and where an ancient artifact causes a man to hack a door in with an axe.

Would people be up for this? A free form Horror Book in essence.

Falgorn
2010-08-26, 05:54 PM
I'll probably be asking this in more places than one, but I figured I should write it here.

Looking for people for a Free Form Horror Experience

The name of the game would be something akin to Lovecraft ITP or Darkness ITP or something similar. Other possibillites that have been considered would be "Bright Eyes" or "Innocence" (Innocence Lost?).

The setting would be an old fishing town on the coast of England, complete with docks and run down houses as well as a hotel, a factory or two and an old hospital facillity where people went to rest and sooth the mind (this would also include a mental department).

Every night, a thick mist rolls in from the ocean, and sometimes, one can hear something respond to the horn of the firehouse, it sounds like something ancient, something... dying. The cry rolls in with the tide some nights, originating from somewhere out at sea, if it is far away, deep down, or just outside of the cove where the village lies, none can tell.

There have always been strange things happening in this town, strange sights and occasional dissapearances, but as of late, these have increased frequently, noone knows why.

All the player characters would be in the town for one reason or another, be they a university student or professor, a reporter or a police, an old fisherman or a young girl. Needless to say, none should have any superpowers to speak of, everyone should be human.

And the biggest catch of them all? The players should all help create their own horror, their own nightmare, maybe different ones, maybe something reoccuring every night. This RP will be a descent into darkness, and a quest for survival and to find out why all of this is happening, but it could take so many different twists and turns along the way.

Of course, no godmodding of others, but also, no godmodding or instant debunking of the nightmares of others. Interactions would be fine, but running up and pulling a bedsheet out of thin air going "look, it was just your imagination" wont be allowed. The characters will experience the horrors of the town from their perspective, but also from the perspective of others. Some horrors might turn out to be imagined if the players will, others will be very real.

We're building a lovecraftian town, a town where strange things stalk the minds. But also a town where strange gray men take your loved ones in the bleak starlight, and where an ancient artifact causes a man to hack a door in with an axe.

Would people be up for this? A free form Horror Book in essence.

I'm interested. But a question - Who decides which horrors are real and which are of the imiganation? Is it totally up to the player, or would someone decide whose is real and whose is fake? I could see future annoyances stemming from everyone having their own, totally real demons.

ApeofLight
2010-08-26, 06:16 PM
*Horror snip!*

Ohh, sounds interesting, kinda like the board game Arkham Asylum then? I also ditto what Falgorn says.

InyutheBeatIs
2010-08-26, 06:21 PM
*Neknoh talking about horror game stuff* :smalltongue:

...You know, part of me wants to join, another part of me is worried that I'm stretching myself as is, and there is another part of me that is lying in wait with a show to whap me over the head if I make the wrong decision on this. :smalltongue:

Then there is an entirely different part of me that is worried that this could turn into my own personal nightmare fuel. :smalleek: But that's a minor part. :smalltongue:

Neknoh
2010-08-26, 07:02 PM
The players would decide what is real and what isn't. You create it, you play it out together wiht others. If another player intend to play it out with you but is unsure of whether or not it is real can always PM the creater or ask in the OoC.

And yes, think the boardgame Arkham Assylum, but also think of whatever horrible nightmare fuel you can concieve, I'm sitting here at 2 AM and I'm scared ****less from the ideas and possibillities of what I could inject into this.

Basically, you create your nightmare, and if you do it well enough, it will affect other players for real :smallbiggrin:

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-26, 07:10 PM
That sounds really interesting, but I don't know if I could make anything scary.

Neknoh
2010-08-26, 07:14 PM
Then maybe play that one character who does not fantisise, who does not experience anything in this town on his own, but when around people, they drag him into their madness.

I am working on the OoC/Character thread right now, the tag will be Horror ITP

And I will ask that this be a different world than that of Nexus, Bleach/Naruto ITP etc. To bring in super powered beings or randomness or whackyness will not help the story and mood. If you want your character from any of these universes, clone it and adapt it to the setting (power removal, profession/origin change etc).

Maximum Zersk
2010-08-26, 07:16 PM
Hm. Well, I'm thinking of a very paranoid character. One who jumps at every little thing.

Neknoh
2010-08-26, 07:47 PM
Due to the ammount of interest shown, the OoC thread is now up

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9231401#post9231401

happyturtle
2010-08-26, 08:17 PM
First attempt at re-writing the 'New to ffrp?' post that will eventually become the first post of the FFRP Central thread. Feedback very much wanted!

Introduction
Hello, and welcome to the guide to the FFRP section on GiTP forums. This guide is intended to provide helpful information for newcomers to the FFRP forum.

What is the FFRP forum all about? It's about playing a character in a universe or setting, with different threads in the forum representing different places within the universe or setting. You move your character from thread to thread to travel around.

"Hi. I'm new here! How do I get started?"
Welcome! Every roleplaying universe is different, and more will come to exist after this guide is written. Start by posting here in the FFRP Central thread and introducing yourself. Tell us what kind of roleplay you're interested in. Someone will come along and direct you to the current OOC thread of the universe that is right for you. While you're waiting, read the faqs below and browse the index in the post below to familiarize yourself with the subforum.

Universes

Like Ongoing Games, FFRP has multiple games going on at one time. What makes a game go here and not there? According to Roland (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9225629&postcount=11):

If it doesn't have a DM (even if there is some plot or conflict resolution by consensus), can be joined by anyone at anytime, and is roleplaying, it belongs in FFRP.

He didn't say it should also be systemless, but I think that's implied by the name of the subform. :smallwink:

The FFRP section is divided into different role playing universes, and each thread should be identified with a [Tag] in the title to show which one it belongs to. Since games come and go, and some don't survive, they will not be indexed in post two of this thread until a setting has been existence for at least six months and is still going strong.

"None of these settings are what I want. How do I start my own?"
Anyone can start a game up at any time. There is no approval process. However, there are some guidelines that are recommended to help avoid early game death from lack of interest:

1. Check in at this thread first with your idea. Let's say you want to start a Cyberpunk universe. If there is already a Cyberpunk themed game, then check it out first. Maybe you'll decide you'll have enough fun in the existing universe that you stop here.

2. If you think your Cyberpunk universe is different enough to want to continue, then discuss it here to gauge interest. There is no minimum number of players that ensures that a game will survive, but it is certain that the more players you have, the less likely it is to die from lack of interest.

3. Once you've collected some players, go ahead and start your thread. This is the important part: CHOOSE A THREAD TAG to identify your game, and make sure it is in brackets at the start of the title of every thread you make.

4. Watch this thread for new people introducing themselves and looking for places to roleplay. Invite them to your thread! Roleplay! Have fun!

5. Once your game has been going for six months: Congratulations! Most new games do not survive this long! PM me with whatever information you'd like to go in the index and pat yourselves on the back.

General guides to freeform roleplaying:
These universes obviously cater to different audiences and employ different genres, moods, tones, and themes. But they do share a few things in common, these being the rules. Now, these rules aren't absolutes. Different universes, threads, and posters might be more or less permissive than these rules, and there is always room for a little variation.

The first rule of FFRP that we need to address is godmodding.

The Rules

Godmodding: What it is and How to Avoid it
Written by Vael

Godmodding: Taking control of someone else's character without their expressive permission. This term applies to any extent of control, especially including any reactions to something you have done.

Using this definition of godmodding condenses our rule ‘Do not Godmod’ to one very simple but inclusive rule: Do not control someone else’s character. This seems a simple enough thing to avoid, but in some situations (such as combat) people take control in a limited way without realizing it.
Still using combat as our example, here are three examples of godmodding. One blatant, one general, and one subtle in successive order:
(And yes, Vael is me. Darn my godmodding! :smallwink:)

1. Vael shoots a blast of energy at (PC) and the energy rends (PC) who falls dead with a wail.
2. Vael swings a sword at (PC) and strikes home, leaving a small angry red line of blood.
The third example is split into two posts by two separate people to show the entire situation:
3. Post (PC) – (PC) draws his weapon and readies himself for combat, going on the defensive.
Post (Vael) – Vael slashes (NPC), giving him a gaping wound and reverses the attack, striking at (PC)

The first example of godmodding is obvious, I attacked someone and killed them, usurping all of their control over their character, not even allowing them to describe how they died.
The second example is fairly noticeable as well. I attacked and rather than allowing them control over their character, I went ahead and said that they were hit rather than giving them a chance to respond.
The last one is a rather subtle godmod, though it is still there. I did not post a definite reaction for the PC, only saying that I attacked them. I did not kill anyone’s NPC without their permission, only using the NPC with general license. However, what I did do was presume that I hit the NPC. What if (PC), or another person nearby had wanted to prevent me from harming the NPC? I effectively denied them a chance to react to my attack, though my use of the NPC was okay.

Godmodding in non-combat situations is just as bad as doing it within combat. Some examples of non-combat godmodding are as follows:

1. Vael casts Heal and cures (PC)’s wounds.
2. Stealthily Vael picks (PC)’s pocket and steals (something).
3. Vael dodges the bouncer blocking the door and runs outside.

In the first example I did not allow someone the chance to say how grievous their injury was, or even if they had something that would resist healing spells. In short, they lost a chance to react. You would normally assume people like getting healed, but in town people are crazy, so you never know.
Second example. What if the character is sharp-eyed, clever, or simple lucky? Again, try to do something rather than succeed.
Third example. Now this seems okay, and perhaps in responding to someone else’s post it would be. But if someone says “I block the door” and you run past them without letting them respond, it is godmodding. This, perhaps, is not the best example, as it could be either godmodding or a reaction statement that is fine. I include it merely so that you can see that there are different levels to godmodding, and that it is complex to determine whether some things are godmodding are not. If you aren’t sure, don’t act, try to act.

Now that I have defined godmodding and given some examples, the question to answer is: How can I avoid godmodding by accident?
The answer is this: You can try to do anything to someone, but they control what actually happens to themselves. Never deny someone a chance to react, no matter what you do. Before you post, consider what you have written. Do you directly affect someone with it, adversely or positively? Do you block them off from some options that someone would normally have in their situation? If the answer to either question is yes, you probably need to revise your post.
Note, however, that the definition states that this is only godmodding if you do not have someone’s permission. If you obtain someone’s OOC permission to godmod, then feel free to godmod against them within their restraints. However, I recommend that you merely work out someone’s response before time, just in case something unexpected comes up (like another player interfering).

However, just as bad as taking control of someone else's character is making your own never get affected by them. As Regiji says: "The counter part to an irresistible force is an immovable object." Therefore, you should let people at least achieve SOMETHING when they attempt to affect you. You don't have to all the time, but if your character is continually "immovable" you will be godmodding, and people will be extremely likely to ignore you. So don't just "I dodge" everything, okay? Let people do something to you if they try.
Also note that there is another form of godmodding similar to the above, which will be known as ‘passive godmodding’ (kudos to Iames for the name). Passive godmodding is when a player ignores an entirely legitimate post for little to no reason. If you miss reading a post, that is one thing, but to ignore a post intentionally is very bad form. You are allowed to react to someone’s post in nearly any way you want, but ignoring it really should not be done unless they are godmodding or adversely affecting an ongoing plot without permission.

Threads

As stated way back at the beginning of this guide, in FFRP, a thread represents a location in which interactions take place. In larger universes, you move your character from place to place by moving from thread to thread. Some universes may take place within a single thread.

There are a few different types of threads.

Out of Character threads are for discussion and banter not within the narrative of the roleplay. These should be your first stop when starting in an FFRP universe.

Public threads constitute the majority of threads in FFRP. These threads represent IC locations that are open to all characters. You can pretty much just hop in, get to interacting, and have fun.

Closed threads and plot threads are beasts of a different nature. Closed threads are private places, open to only a select few or only reachable only through certain IC means. Plot threads are usually created to contain the events of a plot, and are usually open only to those involved with that plot.

To find out where you can post you should read the first post of the thread to see if it contains any relevant information (which it usually does), ask in the OOC, or ask a participant or creator of the thread via PM or some other means.

Plot

Plot is a term applied to events or series of events comprising a storyline. Plots are either created by players deliberately or emerge out of natural, normal interactions. In plots, people sometimes mess around with the rules a bit. Godmodding of a limited form might be permitted if it aids the plot.

Also, plots can also be somewhat resistant to outside interference. While I personally encourage people to be flexible, to not plan for their plots to end in a certain way, and to be open to new influence, it is true that, for the most part, plots are resistant to interaction from people who are not participating in the plot. This will vary from universe to universe, plot to plot, and from user to user.

Deadtime

A deadtime is a state in which your characters cannot be harmed, but cannot interact with anything around them. You put your characters into deadtime when you are about to log off and stop roleplaying for a bit. A character in a deadtime cannot be affected by anything going on around it.

If a character is deadtimed, and a plot or series of events would likely evoke a reaction from that character, it is polite to wait for the character to undeadtime and react before advancing the plot or events.

Some verses might have IC explanations for deadtimes.

The Curtain

The curtain is employed when two characters become physically intimate. When two or more characters decide to have sex, the curtain falls to shield the eyes of the innocent from the festivities and to give some privacy for the participants. This is to both a) abide by the forum rules and b) to keep things relatively family friendly.

Mods have have to remind people in the past to pull the curtain early and not often, and this is possibly the issue that has caused the most mod interventions. Remember, there are other roleplaying forums that are rated R (or X :smalleek:), but this is not one of them. Keep it clean.

Tips For RPing
Written by Artemis97

Tips For RPing

And so, let's begin. In no particular order...

Character Speech

When someone is speaking, we need to know who! Speech colors help to differentiate speech from normal narration, and each of our characters from each other, but if other players do not know to who each particular color belongs, all we see are disembodied words. When two or three people do this over the course of a few pages, it gets very confusing. So tell us who's talking!

So, instead of: Hi! How's it going?

Try: Bob says, Hi! How's it going?

Also, I humbly suggest we all start using quotation marks. I will admit this is a pet peeve of mine, and not entirely necessary, but it is proper English and if you accidentally miss a color tag, or don't even want to use colors, your text is still understood.

So: Bob says, "Hi! How are you?"

New: Another thing, try to use your character's name every few posts. If all we see is 'he' or 'she' all we learn is the speaker's gender. And try and include a brief description when you enter a new place, or are talking with people who might not know who, or what, your character is. That way we don't spend ten pages having a normal conversation with what turns out to be a "Ten foot tall undead wookie."

Next up...

Location Tags

Some threads in FFRP are larger locations that may have smaller locations within them. Even a single building has many rooms. Using location tags helps us all know where your characters are and where the action is at, helps us know who and what our characters can and cannot see, and keeps things organized for those of us reading through large threads and following only one storyline. They're pretty simple, just put where you are at the top of your post.

Like so:

Streets

And then your post continues... blah, blah... you get the idea.

Some of us put brackets around the location, to further seperate it.

[Streets]

And some bold it to make it that much more noticeable.

Streets or [Streets]

Location tags are handy things. Even if your characters are just upstairs in the Taverna, it keeps us all from thinking they're in the middle of the common room.

Moving on...

Big Scenes

That is, scenes involving more than two or three players. Now, I know we're all bored and we all want to make our characters talk and do stuff, but we need to exercise a little patience and keep our fellow Players in mind. Especially during a big fight, give everyone a chance to respond. We all type at different speeds, and some of us might have a little more to say than others. In either case, if the situation we're responding to changes, we have to spend more time editting out posts to reflect the change. If this happens multiple times, it can make a player feel left behind and alienated.

This brings up another topic

Editing

If I edit, and you edit, then he edits, but I edit again.... it gets really confusing. Again, just exercise a little patience, maybe wait until your next post to reflect the change.

Lonely Characters

If you see someone put a character into a thread that isn't seeing a lot of action, throw a character their way. It doesn't have to be one of your regular characters, heck it doesn't need to be a character at all. A monster suddenly popping out of nowhere make things rather interesting and can cause some fun for both parties. Anyways, my point is, don't leave your fellow players hanging. When it seems like no one wants to interact with you or your character, it alienates you. We lose players this way. I know we don't mean to be unfriendly, but it really isn't a nice thing.

This goes double if the player in question is new to the sub-forums. Don't let us lose people before they even start to play. FFRP is a fun place, let's share it with them.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. Like I said before, this is meant to be a discussion. Feel free to make your own suggestions. And I want to say again that none of this is meant to hurt anyone. This is done in a hope to help all of us.

Thanks for listening, and please do weigh in.

~Artemis

Credits for this FAQ:
Neon Knight for organization and writing
happyturtle for a guideline, feed back, and ending section
horngeek for the BLEAChitp description
Shades of Gray for TOWN description
Kaelaroth for Metropolis description
Vael for her excellent rule write ups
Artemis97 for Roleplaying Tips Section
Anyone who provided feedback

Executor
2010-08-27, 01:19 AM
I'm seeing if I can get sufficient interest in a realistic medieval FFRP to start one, I've posted an interest thread with a plot and some other details, check it out!

happyturtle
2010-08-28, 09:59 AM
Please see the new thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166066) :smallsmile: