PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Classic D&D Spells

AFS
2009-12-20, 02:11 PM
I'm thinking of running a simplistic version of DnD for the purposes of new people and playing online in a chat room.

I'm currently working on which classic spells I should add or eliminate.

I'm just wondering what are your favorite / least favorite spells and why?

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-20, 02:12 PM
Grease has got to be one of my all-time favorites.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-20, 02:14 PM
Favorite:
Summon (X) line is awesome. There's nothing like using the hordes of hell to do your laundry/open obviously trapped doors/grapple the Tarrasque.

(X) Image. Because there's nothing like nothing for winning fights.

Least Favorite:
Any direct damage spell. Because it's just so crude.

Darius Rae
2009-12-20, 02:15 PM
Grease, its almost as versatile as casting Magic Missile into the darkness...

DM: Ok, so you all meet in a tavern.
ME: I cast grease!

Flickerdart
2009-12-20, 02:15 PM
Glitterdust is possibly the greatest spell of all time, and Web is pretty spiffy too.
Anything that makes minions for the Wizard shouldn't be available, because when the Wizard can make a monster that fights better than the Fighter, and then make a few more, then the Fighter curls up into a ball and cries. Likewise, Genesis needs banning.

Claudius Maximus
2009-12-20, 02:25 PM
Magic Missile!

Phantasmal Force! Silent Image!

Black Tentacles is great, but I'm not sure you want to bust out the grapple rules in a "simplistic" version of D&D.

Optimystik
2009-12-20, 02:34 PM
My first old school spell was Mirror Image, and it remains a favorite. One thing I wish you could do was have all your illusions run in opposite directions when things went tits up.

(I started playing in AD&D, so maybe that spell isn't in 1E, I forget.)

Ashtar
2009-12-20, 02:35 PM
Dig! You always need a hole, always.

Temet Nosce
2009-12-20, 02:49 PM
Charm Person, particularly when combined with the skill trick that stops people from noticing you're casting. Had more fun with this spell than any other.

... On the obverse...

Mordenkainen's Disjunction, kill it with fire. Do not, ever allow this spell. It doesn't matter who uses it, player or DM. It's a campaign ender.

AFS
2009-12-20, 02:51 PM
This is great guys, keep em coming.

Flickerdart
2009-12-20, 02:53 PM
The deal with MDJ is that as soon as it's cast, the rest of the session is going to be spent rolling checks for every single item, along with trying to remember what their CLs were.

Dairun Cates
2009-12-20, 02:55 PM
Weighty Chest. Period. End of Discussion.

It's just that awesome.

Mushroom Ninja
2009-12-20, 03:01 PM
Mordenkainen's Disjunction, kill it with fire. Do not, ever allow this spell. It doesn't matter who uses it, player or DM. It's a campaign ender.

I actually saw this used last Friday. Luckily, the character targeted stored most of his good items in a handy haversack and rolled well on almost all of his saving throws. Still, had he been less lucky than he was, he would have been completely screwed. I think he only ended up loosing about 22000 GP worth of stuff and all of his buffs.

Shadowbane
2009-12-20, 03:09 PM
Time Stop is awesome, and the Summon line of spells is greatly adored by me.

kme
2009-12-20, 03:14 PM
My first old school spell was Mirror Image, and it remains a favorite. One thing I wish you could do was have all your illusions run in opposite directions when things went tits up.

(I started playing in AD&D, so maybe that spell isn't in 1E, I forget.)

You should check out Instant Diversion from races of dragon. Extend it for more fun.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-20, 03:15 PM
Fireball and Lightning Bolt. For added giggles, use the oldschool rules for them: LB bounced off of walls (yay geometry!) and Fireballs ALWAYS took up the amount of volume they should: if it meant they had to squash down and spread out, so be it. (Double yay geometry!)

Ponce
2009-12-20, 03:41 PM
The entire cleric list from any edition, because clerics are THE BEST CLASS EVER.

Eldariel
2009-12-20, 03:56 PM
Time Stop, because it's the true classic. Also, Teleport, Polymorph (though the 3.X iteration has been horribly broken; pity), Mirror Image, Charm Person, Dominate Monster and a new 3.5-friend; Programmed Amnesia. Oh, and seconding Silent Image (and the whole Image-line).

What can I say, I completely agree how point damage is crude and primitive; not at all the kinds of tools my Wizards of divine intellect should use. I've always been a friend of mindmages with a bag of tricks to solve whatever problem; I committed the heresy of banning "Evocation" (or Invocation, however you want) already in an AD&D 2e game where it was decidedly a bad idea since I found Enchanter so much more appealing (lacking Magic Missile, Fireball & al. hurt back then since they happened to be pretty fcking good).

BenTheJester
2009-12-20, 04:36 PM
Polymorph disgusts me

Elfin
2009-12-20, 04:40 PM
Featherfall.
First D&D spell I ever learned, and has remained a favourite.

Scorpina
2009-12-20, 04:43 PM
My personal favourites:
Disguise/Alter Self
Detect Thoughts
Suggestion

Aron Times
2009-12-20, 04:50 PM
My favorites are the following:

1. Fireball - Before 3e, Fireball was a very powerful spell. I actually killed my first-ever D&D character in Baldur's Gate 2 with a misplaced Fireball.

2. Disintegrate - 3e version. Works wonders against undead, who typically have bad fortitude saves due to not having a constitution score.

3. Dominate - All hail Lelouch!

mostlyharmful
2009-12-20, 05:18 PM
Prestidigitation.... that right there is no end of fun for all the family, especially when you end up with an escalating prank war between the wizard and the sorc that has them burning all the first four levels of their spells just hazing each other....:smallredface:

Haven
2009-12-20, 05:24 PM
Fireball and Lightning Bolt. For added giggles, use the oldschool rules for them: LB bounced off of walls (yay geometry!) and Fireballs ALWAYS took up the amount of volume they should: if it meant they had to squash down and spread out, so be it. (Double yay geometry!)

Wait, it doesn't work like this in 3.5? :smallfrown: (I wonder if there are any other weird gaps in knowledge I'm missing)

Temotei
2009-12-20, 05:39 PM
Speak with plants.

Player: I cast speak with plants! Perhaps they will know something of where that fiend has gone.
DM (as grass): Why do you step on us?
Player: :smallannoyed:

Lioness
2009-12-20, 07:06 PM
Prestidigitation - because there's nothing like turning the Cleric insane because the water just went pink and sparkly. He RPd screaming and going mad, and so DM gave him some depravity.

Magic Missile.

Leomun's Secure Shelter - because it makes a house. A really cool house.

(Though arguably, Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion is much cooler, I just don't have that yet)

Phantasmal Killer - because there's nothing like killing a CR10 monster at level 8 with a simple 'I cast Phantasmal Killer'
It failed all of its saves. Whoohoo

AslanCross
2009-12-20, 07:07 PM
Fireball. Fire solves everything.

Scorpina
2009-12-20, 08:02 PM
Fireball. Fire solves everything.

Except more fire.

Haven
2009-12-20, 08:04 PM
Except more fire.

I disagree:http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/haven_bucket/flaming_fire.png?t=1261357965

Shadowbane
2009-12-20, 08:09 PM
Speak with plants.

Player: I cast speak with plants! Perhaps they will know something of where that fiend has gone.

I lol'd.

And also definitely do the blow up stuff spells. Those are fun!

Aron Times
2009-12-20, 08:26 PM
A 4e Dragon Sorcerer/Dragon Guardian specializing in fire spells can burn things made of fire. Yes, this includes creatures normally immune to fire damage.

Thane of Fife
2009-12-20, 09:13 PM
What can I say, I completely agree how point damage is crude and primitive; not at all the kinds of tools my Wizards of divine intellect should use.

Conan, what is best in life? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V30tyaXv6EI#t=0m26s)

If your wizard truly had divine intellect, he would know that, and how is he going to achieve any of those (except maybe the first) with enchantment spells, hmm?

He's not! That's why I like Fireball and Flame Strike (and Burning Hands, for those foolish wizards who end up without access to Invocation/Evocation spells).

mikej
2009-12-20, 09:46 PM
Speak with plants.

lol, need to used that in a game someday.

Fireball is my nostalgic fav spell. Reminds me of a simple time when I played a Sorcerer and I knew my series of actions X+ rounds ahead. Just keep on casting Fireball!

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-21, 12:08 AM
Conan, what is best in life? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V30tyaXv6EI#t=0m26s)

If your wizard truly had divine intellect, he would know that, and how is he going to achieve any of those (except maybe the first) with enchantment spells, hmm?

He's not! That's why I like Fireball and Flame Strike (and Burning Hands, for those foolish wizards who end up without access to Invocation/Evocation spells).Dominate Person. Crush their brains, make them run before you, and slaughter their own women. Then have them jump off a cliff or something. Dominated is better than dead.

Or Summon Natures Ally. Barbarian, meet Bear. Bear, eat Barbarian. I'd say that accomplishes it.

Scorpina
2009-12-21, 12:34 AM

He's not! That's why I like Fireball and Flame Strike (and Burning Hands, for those foolish wizards who end up without access to Invocation/Evocation spells).

Well, if Fear wasn't inexplicably a Necromancy spell that'd be easy.

Crushing Despair is fun times.

Callista
2009-12-21, 01:11 AM
Favorite? Mage Hand. Probably the most overpowered cantrip ever. For a spell that does no direct damage, that's saying something.

Closely followed by Invisibility and Silence.

Oh, yes, I have been playing arcane trickster lately...

Leon
2009-12-21, 01:29 AM
Weighty Chest. Period. End of Discussion.

It's just that awesome.

Yes. Yes it is

Coidzor
2009-12-21, 01:41 AM
Prestidigitation - because there's nothing like turning the Cleric insane because the water just went pink and sparkly. He RPd screaming and going mad, and so DM gave him some depravity.

wait... wat... How did he fail his spellcraft on that one? ...Or not be able to realize that it was perfectly reasonable that someone could be using magic to make it so...

bosssmiley
2009-12-21, 05:40 AM

I blame Warren Ellis for my refusal to click any and all "Conan, what is best in life?" links. (the images haunt me still :smalleek:)

on-topic: teleport. Used right it makes players cry. :smallbiggrin:

dsmiles
2009-12-21, 05:54 AM
Oooooo.....gotta keep Otto's Irrestible Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcUi6UEQh00)...

EDIT: No, this: Conan, what is best in life? (http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-way-of-the-barbarian-infusing-your-spiritual-life-with-conan/)

Deth Muncher
2009-12-21, 05:54 AM
Wait, it doesn't work like this in 3.5? :smallfrown: (I wonder if there are any other weird gaps in knowledge I'm missing)

To the best of my knowledge, no. That's why, somewhere on the WotC boards, there's a homebrewed PrC that gives you back your AD&D effects, like Dim. Door actually making a door, for example, or geometric uses for spells.

Deadbolt
2009-12-21, 06:12 AM
Sleep has been pretty nice to me, Mage Hand always fascinated me as a kid, and I've gotten a lot of use out of Flaming Sphere. Albeit that the last one isn't really a "classic" spell. However, Sleep definitely is. Fireball and Lightning Bolt, as crude as they may be, are THE classic Wizard spells in my book.

Greater Invisibility has seen some fun/broken/hilarious/mindnumbing uses lately.

Lioness
2009-12-21, 06:12 AM
wait... wat... How did he fail his spellcraft on that one? ...Or not be able to realize that it was perfectly reasonable that someone could be using magic to make it so...

He just said, IRL, 'Arrgh! This is driving me nuts!'
Which prompted the DM to say, 'Ok, have some depravity. Make a will save'

I'm assuming the DM put the DC pretty high, because he's sick of the guy always passing his saves, and because fluorescent pink sparkly water is pretty disturbing. Especially when your ship is sailing in it.

ericgrau
2009-12-21, 06:20 AM
The deal with MDJ is that as soon as it's cast, the rest of the session is going to be spent rolling checks for every single item, along with trying to remember what their CLs were.
Item cards.

Speak with plants.

Player: Sorry. Did you see where they went?
DM (as grass): No eyes.
Player: Did you hear th- oh. Did you feel any cloven hooves?
DM (as grass): No sense of touch. But we were stepped on several times within the last hour. Does that help?

Anywayz my favorite is sleet storm. There's almost nothing that can't be solved with liberal applications of sleet storm. Enemies? Watch them fumble out of the storm one by one for you to pick off. Fire? Put it out. Caster? Provoke concentration checks, spam AoE's at him. Ally with blindfight? Instant concealment. Army? Impede half with its 80 foot diameter.

I don't think we're getting too many classics in this thread, but it is getting interesting.

Aramir21
2009-12-21, 03:01 PM
Magic Missile is quite possibly the most versatile offensive spell ever. Need to hit an Orc? MAGIC MISSILE! Need to break something? MAGIC MISSILE! Need better item prices? MAGIC MISSILE! Darkness? MAGIC MISSILE! If It doesn't solve your problem, you're just not using enough of it.

Zaydos
2009-12-21, 03:50 PM
Me I'd say I still have fondness for Magic Missile (although looking back at it in B/X, my mages that have it die, my mages that have sleep win). I still love Fireball although I prefer Scintillating Sphere (yay Lightning), and Sleep. Sleep is good. Also Baleful Polymorph is fun (I turn you into a sheep).

That said my next character uses Evard's Black Tentacles, and a fiery version from the Player's Guide to Faerun (one level higher, add fire damage every round). The Orb spells are also a really good and beloved spell (my last high level character still used them more often than not or Maximized Moon Bolt).

subject42
2009-12-21, 04:11 PM
My all-time favorite is Enlarge Person.

Fell down a hole and need to get out? Enlarge Person.

You want to deliver a touch spell, but the target is 10ft away and you don't feel like walking? Enlarge Person.

You want a +2 circumstance bonus on intimidating the gnomish shopkeeper? Enlarge Person.

An angry Half Orc is charging across a rickety wooden bridge with the intent to kill you? Enlarge Person.

Aron Times
2009-12-21, 04:15 PM
My all-time favorite is Enlarge Person.

Fell down a hole and need to get out? Enlarge Person.

You want to deliver a touch spell, but the target is 10ft away and you don't feel like walking? Enlarge Person.

You want a +2 circumstance bonus on intimidating the gnomish shopkeeper? Enlarge Person.

An angry Half Orc is charging across a rickety wooden bridge with the intent to kill you? Enlarge Person.
A Japanese schoolgirl in your path? Enlarge Person. :smalleek:

Delwugor
2009-12-21, 05:40 PM
Sleep - all Magic Users should have it
Otto's Irrestible Dance - ohh so much fun and useful when trying to take over a ship ...
Command - 1st edition style, have the fun was to come up with unique commands

MeTheGameGuy
2009-12-21, 09:16 PM

Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper. :smallamused:

Morty
2009-12-22, 09:58 AM
Any direct damage spell. Because really, if I'm not going to leave a smoking pair of boots where at least one enemy used to be, why the heck am I playing a wizard?
My least favorite spells are most Conjuration(Creation) spells. The implications of magic users being able to create stuff from nothing inevitably break the game world. Create Food & Water is a particularily egregious example and should be killed with fire. And the webs, clouds and fogs are lame. Useful, but lame.

subject42
2009-12-22, 11:12 AM
Shillelagh is another great one. There's something awesome about a 1st level caster doing 4d6 + STR + 2 damage with a critical hit. Also, you'll eventually drive your DM nuts by shouting the word Shillelagh all the time. It's a blast to say and it gets into your brain.

Grommen
2009-12-22, 12:18 PM
These spells were so much more fun before they dice capped them. :smallannoyed: I mean a 20d6 fireball just screams "Die mother %#$@# Die". But still.

My favorites, an in no particular order are:
Color Spray (Nothing like a light show in the middle of a fight)
Magic Missile (Auto hit, no save, good stuff)
Mirror Image (More is better)
FIREBALL (smoking craters make negoations with survivors easier)
Grease (apply flammable grease to your game then fire..Watch fun ensue)
Delayed Blast Fireball (All the fun of Fireball, and you get to run!)
Chain Lightingning (Why just one bolt when you can have many)
Baleful Pollymorph (Calling someone a Jack-Ass has a far greater meaning).
Corpse Visage / Fear (Say "Boo!" with authority).
Flame Strike (Ends Religious Debates)
Cone of Cold (What your chilly, let me warm you up now :smallbiggrin:)
Bigbee's Obseen Gesture (Not an official spell. Giant hand tells how you really feel!)
Bigbee's Obseen Gesture with verbal component (Sometimes a finger is not enough)
Wish (Sure it will most likely go very bad, but what a ride in the mean time)
Prismatic Spray (Possibilities my friend...Possibilities)
Stoneskin (getting hit sucks)
and lastly
Meteor Swarm (Flaming Planetoids raining down on your heads. Need I say more?)

jiriku
2009-12-22, 12:38 PM
For druids: ice storm!

For wizards: invisibility

for clerics: the cure x wounds line

for bards: the various charm/suggestion spells

for paladins: holy sword

for rangers: tree stride

LibraryOgre
2009-12-22, 12:39 PM
Agannazar's Scorcher. The 2-round line of fire that tracks its target, burning everyone in the way. It's beautiful.

AFS
2009-12-22, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the input, I'm play testing the system by myself for now. I will put up a link to the rules when I feel they are ready to be torn apart.

I've added and made up most the suggestions here.

Cleric -
Cure X wounds
Hold Person
Blade Barrier
Animate Dead
Summon Monster (I,II,III)

Mage -
Magic Missile
FireBall
Lightning Bolt
Sleep
Mirror Image
Charm Person
Time Stop

I am sure there are many others on the list that should / could be added. But I want to encourage a RPing system with minimal dice rolling. The more spells and the more I add, the more the system gets away from that.

Thanks for the input.

ken-do-nim
2009-12-22, 08:42 PM
When playing a megadungeon campaign: wizard lock (might be called arcane lock in 3rd edition). Just keep expanding your domain and lock that puppy down.

MeTheGameGuy
2009-12-22, 08:47 PM
Hold Person/Monster? Paralysis is always fun. :smallsmile:

Shardan
2009-12-23, 08:10 AM
Grease+web+ inclined tunnel+horde of nonintelligent monsters+torch.

We caught a horde of zombies in this thing before setting the whole thing ablaze.

Also good was fire trap for cleric. making grenades that are permanent until used.. I even had a semi-crazy fire based cleric who was known to fire trap his own mouth. (he could ignore fire 3 times per day so he would be unharmed from the explosion)

Tyrmatt
2009-12-23, 08:26 AM
Item cards.

Player: Sorry. Did you see where they went?
DM (as grass): No eyes.
Player: Did you hear th- oh. Did you feel any cloven hooves?
DM (as grass): No sense of touch. But we were stepped on several times within the last hour. Does that help?

I think you two have just won the internet. Greatest RP I've ever seen :p

Classic spells...Glitterdust as a "Save the Day" against the invisible assailant is probably a nice idea.

fryplink
2009-12-23, 08:37 AM
i've always liked disintegrate, and it would work for a chat-room game

Scipio
2009-12-23, 09:00 AM
Three pages of replies and no love for Haste or Slow? They are both high on my list of favorite spells, and I am not talking about the overpowered 3.0 Haste either.

Os1ris09
2009-12-23, 09:57 AM
Prestidigitation.... that right there is no end of fun for all the family, especially when you end up with an escalating prank war between the wizard and the sorc that has them burning all the first four levels of their spells just hazing each other....:smallredface:

LOL sounds like me and a friends cleric using sixth lvl spells casting harm on eachother as pranks LOL:smalltongue::smallbiggrin: