PDA

View Full Version : The Primeval [3.5]

Myrmex
2009-12-20, 04:43 PM
In Frostburn, there is this awesome class called the Primeval that lets you turn into a monster a few times/day, but instead of assuming the creature's ability scores, you gain their adjustment as a bonus (a 20 str monster gives you a +10 untyped str bonus).

Here is the current chasis for the primeval:
feral (bought off) anthro baleen whale 3/ 3.0 ranger* 1/monk1/psywar2/soul eater2/primeval1

That's level 10. Feat requirements will all be met, as will skill requirements.

Right now, I'm looking at the Megaraptor as the creature I turn into. I only get one, and it must be a prehistoric creature of 8 HD or less, such as a dire animal or a dinosaur.

Are there any superior choices to the Megaraptor? It has 5 natural attacks, and will give me +10 str, +4 dex, and +10 con.

*We're playing with a lot of 3.0 books, including core, so ranger 1 is the best way to get twf and ambidexterity, as well the skill requirements for Primeval met.

Starscream
2009-12-20, 04:59 PM
Megaraptor is a good choice. Don't forget that you also get Pounce, which is awesome. You have to be Large though, because it is a huge animal, but whales have no problem with that.

I suppose it really depends on what sort of fighting you want to do. Lessee...

Dire ape gives you + Better strength, but lower con and only two attacks. You also get Rend, though.

Dire bat gives you higher dex and a fly speed, but nothing else that good.

Dire badger sucks overall, but lets you rage.

Dire boar would give you an awesome +16 to strength, and the ability to fight on while dying.

Dire lion, the one they give as an example, gives +14 strength, pounce, and rake. Still only 3 attacks though.

Yeah, I'd take megaraptor, if I met the size requirement. Best overall choice.

Myrmex
2009-12-20, 05:01 PM
Oh, yeah, the anthro whale is a large creature, and feral gives it improved grab, pounce, rake, and rend.

I was wondering if there was anything in other books that would be super-awesome. The fleshraker is subpar for my purposes.

hamishspence
2009-12-20, 05:16 PM
The errataed Megaraptor is Large, yet still has comparable stats to the original Huge megaraptor.