PDA

View Full Version : Halfling Outrider (3.5), is it overpowered and if yes why?

Soranar
2009-12-20, 04:51 PM
So I'm starting a new game soon , and I was thinking of playing a halfling paladin (mounted on a ridingdog, we start at level 6). Since I like planning ahead and not being a total munchkin I'd like to know why people complain about the Halfling Outrider? Why is it considered overpowered? I was considering taking it , albeit I'm wondering if a straight paladin wouldn't be stronger.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-20, 04:53 PM
Straight paladin is extremely weak. Multiclassing into pretty much anything will make you stronger, and Halfling Outrider is a pretty good choice. I've never heard anyone complain about it - it's not that great except in one, very specific TO build that involves stacking HO, Cavalier, Bloodlines, and some other stuff to create the Supermount.

Myrmex
2009-12-20, 04:53 PM
Does it get the ability to stack animal companion and mount advancement? If so, you can end up with a mount more powerful than you are (if you build for it).

Otherwise, I think it just comes with a bunch of minor bonuses to riding an animal. Nothing stupendous.

Flickerdart
2009-12-20, 04:54 PM
Melee, in general, is weak. Paladin is weak for melee. Halflings are weak melee races (with the obvious exclusion of Rogues). You wouldn't be overpoweredif you tried.

Edit: Ah yes, the Supermount, that's your Animal Companion, Mount, Cohort and Familiar all in one, plus some other stuff. Good times.

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-20, 04:55 PM
Because if you're playing a Halfling Outrider and a Paladin, you're probably playing a mounted charger, and triple damage with a lance is OMGWTFBBQ PWNED. Gets even worse if you have the full suite of paladin spells.

But generally, it's not overly munchkin; you can still express the amount of damage you deal without needing to use scientific notation.

UglyPanda
2009-12-20, 04:58 PM
There are players who prefer to play smaller races as uberchargers since their mounts (Dogs, dire badger) can fit in a dungeon. And since bonus damage from charging on a mount is multiplicative and not additive, it's not as horrible an idea as a Pixie Barbarian.

But it's still melee and still not one of the notorious melee classes (Hulking Hurler, etc). You're not going to be overpowered unless the other players are doing something stupid, like Ranger 2/Monk 2/Healer 1/Truenamer X.

Myrmex
2009-12-20, 04:58 PM
But generally, it's not overly munchkin; you can still express the amount of damage you deal without needing to use scientific notation.

Eh, the difference between 1,000 damage and 10^10 damage is only a matter of epeen.

Soranar
2009-12-20, 05:14 PM
yeah the whole idea was to charge in dungeons from the top of a medium mount, with smite evil ,power attack and spirited charge the damage can be significant despite being small and weak (and the mount fixed the annoying low movement from being a small race, which is really what bugged me the most)

but since my stats aren't crazy, and I am playing a small race tank(inspired by Belkar on that one) my DM shouldn't mind too much

at level 6 my mount is already stronger than I am, and a lot more dangerous except when I manage to charge something

I was just worried because I saw it on someone's banned list (Outrider)

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-20, 05:15 PM
Truenamer is on many banned lists. So is Psion. Your point?

Grumman
2009-12-20, 05:24 PM
I was considering taking it , albeit I'm wondering if a straight paladin wouldn't be stronger.
No, go Halfling Outrider. A paladin doesn't get anything of interest after 5th level anyway. I'd suggest Paladin 5 / Beastmaster 1 (with Devoted Tracker so your mount can benefit from both), then take Halfling Outrider from then on.

Soranar
2009-12-21, 03:07 AM
the banned list point was that I wasn't familiar with the class (banned list reference) and didn't know how people abused it

my DM game is fairly friendly and we try to avoid uberMunchkin behavior that use broken PrC classes or such

we've had many games where we thought a class was ok (strong but manageable), but it turned out to be completely insane (hurler comes to mind...) and that single player made the whole game boring and unchallenging to the point where the DM had to drop a Dragon on it while he was sleeping ... and he nearly killed it by himself anyway