PDA

View Full Version : The Rules of D&D

Ilidsor
2009-12-20, 06:18 PM
So I wanted to try out D&D but I have no idea how to play, or where to find out. Can someone help me out? Preferably in a non-paying way.

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-20, 06:19 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: As people advise the OP, please keep in mind this forum's strong stance against piracy and advocating illegal downloads.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 06:21 PM
3.5? Go here. (http://www.d20srd.org/)

4e? Can't help you, sorry.

flare'90
2009-12-20, 06:22 PM
well, fo the basic rules there is the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/)

Tyndmyr
2009-12-20, 06:23 PM
The D&D SRD is the best way to get started on 3.5 for free(google will pull it up for you). I believe there's also a bunch of freely released 4e stuff. Some starter kit.

Take a gander at that, and check out your local gaming groups. A players handbook is advisable if you want to buy something. There's a million things you *can* buy for D&D, but you really don't need to.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-20, 06:24 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't say what levels you get feats at (Not talking about bonus feats here).

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 06:28 PM
You need that? Seriously, with this forum and the SRD, I can work out virtually everything that I need to know. If I really wanted to, I could probably take the material on this forum, cross-reference it, and come up with virtually the complete text of every splatbook ever.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 06:31 PM
We could just tell him. No matter what Wizards wants you to think, you can't actually copyright game rules.

The penalty for telling someone which levels you get feats at would be... not being allowed to use the d20 System logo on your product? That's about it, honestly.

Myrmex
2009-12-20, 06:32 PM
There are also a lot of websites that index information you can pull up with a quick google search. With a good eye, you can usually figure out everything you need from those. Just ask the internet on any questions you have, and make sure the DM looks it over and oks it, since some stuff isn't quite right in the indexes.

There's also a TON of homebrew out there, which can easily be adapted to your setting. Much of the homebrew on this here forum is superior to stuff you'd have to pay for.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 06:32 PM
Honestly? You could buy the books. I seriously self-taught myself dnd. It took years because I was 13-ish and I had no experience actually RPing. Some of my friends played NWN and some were older and we sort of made things up as we went along. But yea, actually purchasing the books would not be a bad idea. From amazon, you could get all three of the 3.5 core books for something like 50 bucks. That's much cheaper than the route I went (which was at 30 bucks a pop at a hobby gaming store).

Fortuna
2009-12-20, 06:35 PM
Ah, self-teaching. I self-taught myself AD&D at the age of about eight, and knew it backwards by ten. Took me maybe a month to familiarize myself with the system, and another couple of years to virtually memorize it.

PhoenixRivers
2009-12-20, 06:37 PM
The best way I've found is to find other players. Hobby shops are good places, and sitting in on a game or two can give you a good feel for the game.

Aron Times
2009-12-20, 06:37 PM
Click on the link in my signature for the free 4e stuff from Wizards of the Coast.

pres_man
2009-12-20, 06:42 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't say what levels you get feats at (Not talking about bonus feats here).

It does actually.

Table: Creature Improvement by Type

1. All types have a number of feats equal to 1 + 1 per 3 Hit Dice.

Of course, worse case, you could always just follow the Epic level rules.

Epic Level Basics

Feats
Every character gains one feat (which may be an epic or nonepic feat at the player’s choice) at every level divisible by three. These feats are in addition to any bonus feats granted in the class descriptions.

Ability Increases
Upon gaining any level divisible by four, a character increases one of his or her ability scores by 1 point. The player chooses which ability score to improve. For multiclass characters, feats and ability increases are gained according to character level, not class level.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-20, 06:45 PM
It does actually.

Of course, worse case, you could always just follow the Epic level rules.

Sorry, didn't catch that. :smallredface: