PDA

View Full Version : Garden Goodness

golentan
2009-12-20, 06:50 PM
So, our garden has a lemon tree, that bears fruit pretty much year round. And I love citrus more than life itself.

I just made myself a giant, giant glass of lemonade (can't beat fresh squeezed).

Who else has favorite foodstuffs they don't need to grocery shop for? What are they?

Fostire
2009-12-20, 07:12 PM
I used to have a lemon tree, a lime tree, and an apple tree on my previous home, but only the lime tree gave decent amount of fruit. They were mostly for decoration anyway so we didn't care much.
We also had grape and kiwi plants which gave lots of fruit, as well as several blackberry bushes.

My current home has kiwi plants which haven't given us any fruit yet (they're still very young), some blueberry plants which have only given a handful of fruit in a couple of years, several blackberry bushes which vary in the amount of fruit they yield, and some potted herbs.

I think that's all but I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Perenelle
2009-12-20, 07:31 PM
I used to have a blackberry bush in my backyard before we moved. and honeysuckles. But I dunno if honeysuckles can really be considered food. :smalltongue:

when I get a house of my own I'd like to plant a whole bunch of blackberry bushes and honey suckles and blueberry bushes everywhere. :smallbiggrin:

Kneenibble
2009-12-20, 07:54 PM
Lemon tree... :smallconfused: ...outside? Lemonade... :smallconfused: ...in December?

*looks outside*
*looks at computer*
*looks outside*
*looks at computer*
:frown:
*steals tree and secures it in a car impound lot, the impenetrable fortress of suburbia*

I have two grapefruit trees and a lemon tree inside that I grew from seeds, but I doubt they'll ever give fruits.

The summer sucked this year and I only got some sparse green beans, potatoes, and chard. Everything else I planted failed, utterly. Oh, and lots of dandelions, which I actually quite like, but I didn't plant those.
My favourites are garden carrots and any potherb -- spinach, chard, &c., because once you've had these things out of your backyard, you realize that the grocery store is only selling colourful lies.

Blueberries lose their magical powers if they're cultivated. They don't sparkle like the wild ones. Really.
Honeysuckles do count as food though. *lip smack*

reorith
2009-12-20, 07:59 PM
when i lived in california we had lemon trees and orange trees in our backyard. my neighbor had an avocado tree and even though he gave me permission to take the fruit, i'd still squeeze under the fence, distract his dog, run up to it, grab a low hanging avocado, run to the tree that grew along his side of the fance, climb it, and then drop down in to my own back yard. now whenever i enjoy a whole avocado, it reminds me of a kinder more innocent time. :smallfrown:

Helanna
2009-12-20, 10:13 PM
The only thing I have ever been able to grow is some miniature pumpkin plants. Most of them died during transplanting, and the rest died when an early frost hit. :smallfrown:

I'm optimistic about this spring though. The reason I've never been able to grow anything is because I lived in an apartment for a few years, and then when we moved to my current house the garden areas were completely overrun. I've really only just finished clearing out the front ones, and I still have to do the back one that's covered in saplings, of all things . . .

Any suggestions on what I should plant, when? I don't have very much gardening experience . . .