PDA

View Full Version : Great spells to make persistent

Matamane
2009-12-20, 07:10 PM
Any ideas?

I have haste, but nothing else makes me really go wow!

BTW, are eternal wands spell completion items, or spell trigger items?

Doomboy911
2009-12-20, 07:12 PM
Well Hold Person and Dominate Monster seem pretty useful.

SurlySeraph
Depends, are you arcane or divine? And what do you want to do? As a general rule, spells with single-round or rounds-per-level durations are the best thing to persist, since they were balanced for short-term use. Wraithstrike, Divine Power, and Righteous Might are a few good ones.

Matamane
mainly enhancement stuff

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 07:13 PM

Hold Person would be a waste of a spell slot - they get to save every round! They'll break out of it in two minutes!

olelia
2009-12-20, 07:14 PM
Hold Person would be a waste of a spell slot - they get to save every round! They'll break out of it in two minutes!

6 seconds...2 minutes....carry the 3....well...odds say they will.

Mooch
2009-12-20, 07:15 PM
if you are going zilla i would suggest

Conviction (SC 1) [+2 +1/6lvls max 5 morale to saving throws]
Shield of Faith (SRD 1) [+2 +1/6lvls deflection AC]
Divine FavorP (SRD 1) [+1luck attack and damage/3lvls max 3]

Elation (BoED 2) [+2 morale str/dex, +5feet]
Brambles (SC 2) (+1 enhancement dmg/lvl max 10)

Recitation (SC 4) [+2 luck: AC, attack, saving throws, +3 if worships same diety]
Divine PowerP (SRD 4) [BAB=CharLvL, +6enhancement str]]
Sheltered Vitality (SC 4) [immunity to fatigue, exhaustion, ability damage, ability drain]
Freedom of Movement (SRD 4)
Death Ward (SRD 4) [immune to all death spells, magical death effects, energy drain, any negative energy effects]
Greater Blindsight (SC 4) [blindsight 60ft]

Righteous MightP (SRD 5) [+1 size, +4 size str, +2 size con, +2 enhancement nat armor, DR 3,6,9/evil]
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SC 5) [+1 attack at highest BAB, +3 morale attack/damage]
Divine Agility (SC 5) [+10 enhancement dex]

Holy TransformationP (SC 7) [+4 sacred: str, con, saving throws, DR5/evil, -2attack/saving throws within 10feet]
Holy Star (SC 7) [see description]

StormrageP (SC 8) [fly 40, immune to thrown/projectile ranged attacks, lightning attack]
Holy Aura (SRD 8) [+4deflection AC, +4resistance saves, SR25vs evil]
Antimagic Field (SRD 8)

Greater Visage of the DeityP (SC 9) [+1 nat armor, +4 str/con/wis/cha, +2dex/int, DR10/magic etc see description]
Miracle duplicating Bite of the WerebearP (SC 9 dup SC druid 6) [+16 enhancement str, +2 dex, +8 con, +7 nat armor, gain claw/bite attacks]

Vigor
Lesser (SC 1) [fast healing 1]
Regular (SC 3) [fast healing 2]
Greater (SC 5) [fast healing 4]

SurlySeraph
2009-12-20, 07:17 PM
Since Persistent Spell only works on spells with a fixed range (usually Personal or Touch), enhancements are the main thing it's used for. It doesn't work on Hold Person or Dominate Monster, because their range depends on the caster's level.

Matamane
2009-12-20, 07:20 PM
Is there anything that boosts ability scores in the way Greater Visage of the deity does?

As in not enhancement Bonuses

olelia
2009-12-20, 07:22 PM

Wait...doesn't dominate monster already last day/level...even if it did work through occular sillyness wouldn't that actually nerf it? :smallconfused:

Grumman
2009-12-20, 07:22 PM
Is there anything that boosts ability scores in the way Greater Visage of the deity does?

As in not enhancement Bonuses
Giantsize gives you size bonuses to Strength and Constitution.

Doomboy911
2009-12-20, 07:24 PM
Well for any dungeon crawler most of the bard spells are good in the beginning you have to rely on others but once you get a couple levels you become a powerhouse. The shadow spells basicly give you the shadowdancer class (with some ramifications) and should you hit level seven the monsters you can summon rock.Now the only problem is no direct hitters you can't do a fire ball or some magic missile but being able to summon any monster with the shadow spells is great considering you can send them running through traps.

Mooch
2009-12-20, 07:24 PM
holy transformation gives a +4 sacred bonus to str con and saving throws and righteous mights gives a +4 size bonus to str (see my above post)

edit: also enlarge person does as well i think

SurlySeraph
2009-12-20, 07:26 PM
Well for any dungeon crawler most of the bard spells are good in the beginning you have to rely on others but once you get a couple levels you become a powerhouse. The shadow spells basicly give you the shadowdancer class (with some ramifications) and should you hit level seven the monsters you can summon rock.Now the only problem is no direct hitters you can't do a fire ball or some magic missile but being able to summon any monster with the shadow spells is great considering you can send them running through traps.

We're discussing spells to use the Persistent Spell metamagic feat on, not spells to take in general.

Matamane
2009-12-20, 07:26 PM
some of these work well.

I am NE though

Tyndmyr
2009-12-20, 07:30 PM
All the Heart of X buffs are good. Any round/level buff is great too. Mirror Image, for example.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 07:31 PM
some of these work well.

I am NE though

Doesn't matter. As long as they're not [Good] you can cast them even if they grant sacred bonuses.

And most [Good] buff spells have [Evil] counterparts. Try looking in the Book of Vile Darkness.

Matamane
2009-12-20, 07:31 PM
is there a spell which gives you vampire traits? I am not going zilla btw.

or something that gives massive DR?

SurlySeraph
2009-12-20, 07:36 PM
Yes, but I'm blanking on the name. Kiss of the Night or something. It's in the Spell Compendium.

There's also Fangs of the Vampire King, which (shockingly enough) gives you fangs.

For DR, there's Iron Body (or Body or Iron or something like that), which basically turns you into an Iron Golem, including the DR/Adamantine. It's also in the SpC. Iron Body is great to persist - it gives you tons of immunities.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-20, 07:38 PM
is there a spell which gives you vampire traits? I am not going zilla btw.

or something that gives massive DR?

I dunno about massive DR, but there's a few ways to get some DR. Protection from arrows(or it's big brother from SpC that reflects them if totally absorbed) is a classic choice to persist. I believe there's also a spell that grants DR/non metal as well.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-20, 07:47 PM
I dunno about massive DR, but there's a few ways to get some DR. Protection from arrows(or it's big brother from SpC that reflects them if totally absorbed) is a classic choice to persist. I believe there's also a spell that grants DR/non metal as well.

Ironguard! It's not DR/nonmetal, you're flat-out immune to attacks with metal weapons. Yes, including magic ones. Another good spell to persist.

Myrmex
2009-12-20, 08:05 PM
Ghostform is nice.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-20, 08:12 PM
Ironguard! It's not DR/nonmetal, you're flat-out immune to attacks with metal weapons. Yes, including magic ones. Another good spell to persist.

Even better. That's a darned good buff.

Personally, Im a big fan of the Protection against <alignment> spells as well. Immunity to natural attacks is big, and very few creatures are true neutral.

Draz74
2009-12-20, 08:16 PM
Personally, Im a big fan of the Protection against <alignment> spells as well. Immunity to natural attacks is big, and very few creatures are true neutral.

Um. Yes, that would be too good. But unless the creatures are summoned, Protection from X doesn't give immunity to their attacks (just +2 [deflection] to AC).

Tyndmyr
2009-12-20, 08:19 PM
Um. Yes, that would be too good. But unless the creatures are summoned, Protection from X doesn't give immunity to their attacks (just +2 [deflection] to AC).

From the SRD: Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature.

Too good? Quite probably. Thankfully, I happened to have both prot evil and FR 20 persisted last game, when we bumped into a very angry red dragon. The DM vowed that next turn he has a chance to DM, he'll kill my character.

Yeah, it's a kinda broken series of spells, because they're low enough that you can persist them with ease. The higher level ones run into the spellcraft issue at the earlier levels with incantatrix, or spell slot issues with other classes.

Edit: I should point out that the above is in addition to the AC and save bonuses, and immunity to possession or mental control. It's seriously "I win" in a first level spell. Core, naturally.

Draz74
2009-12-20, 08:23 PM
From the SRD: Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature.

... And, you proved my point.

The spell might be too powerful. But not in the way you're saying.

Tyndmyr
2009-12-20, 08:25 PM
Ah...dammit. Not that it matters, the dragon probably couldn't hit my AC anyhow. Damn, persist is good.

Greater mage armor is also a must. +6 AC, yes please. It's a 24 hr buff, so it doesn't technically need persist, but it's the same basic principle.

For fun, persist a buff, then extend it. That way, you only have to bother casting it every two days.

Douglas
2009-12-20, 09:06 PM
Haste actually is not eligible for Persistent Spell due to its range varying with caster level, but if you're going melee and don't care about the movement speed boost Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is a great replacement for it.

MichielHagen
2009-12-21, 08:10 AM
All the Heart of X buffs are good. Any round/level buff is great too. Mirror Image, for example.

I love the Heart of X spells, but they are already hr/lvl. Extending them is cheaper...

olelia
2009-12-21, 10:41 AM
Ah...dammit. Not that it matters, the dragon probably couldn't hit my AC anyhow. Damn, persist is good.

Greater mage armor is also a must. +6 AC, yes please. It's a 24 hr buff, so it doesn't technically need persist, but it's the same basic principle.

Course then all the batman wizard folks here will ask why you need to worry about being hit in the first place. :smallwink:

OMG PONIES
2009-12-21, 11:45 AM
It requires taking the feat Mother Cyst, but Necrotic Empowerment is always fun. Yes, the stat bonuses are enhancement (enchantment? Whichever.) However, you're looking at a +8 to DEX, INT, and WIS, along with a heaping helping of temporary HP. It sounds like you might be looking at lower-level spells right now, but I like it even though it's 8th level.

Matamane
2009-12-21, 12:32 PM
preferably 6th or lower.

MichielHagen
2009-12-21, 02:58 PM
Arcane spells i'd like to persist (not specifically the best, since Polymorph would obviously be good, i guess some of the Bite of WereX would be good too)

Dimension Door, Greater (My favorite)
Displacement
Draconic Might
Earth Glide
Fire Shield
Greater Invisibility
Superior Invisibility
True Seeing

Morrolan
2009-12-27, 09:08 AM
Footsteps of the Divine from Complete Champion?
Depending on your deity, that is.