PDA

View Full Version : How long...?

Lioness
2009-12-20, 07:12 PM
Until the 3.5 PHB starts selling for less than $70 on Ebay?

I notice that the 3.0 and earlier editions have dropped in price, but how long did that take after they went out of print?

It's getting to the stage when I need my own PHB, but I decided that just after they stopped making them. Whoops.

Any help much appreciated

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 07:15 PM
You don't need your own PHB. Print out a copy of the SRD.

AslanCross
2009-12-20, 07:18 PM
$70?! Wow. I was able to buy my Player's Kit (comes with a softcover PHB, dice, and a solo adventure) for only about $30. I bought it in Singapore about 2 years ago.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 07:20 PM
You might want to check that they're not first editions or collector's editions, by the way. Both would sell for a bit more than second edition and later normal bindings.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 07:20 PM
What the crap?! I bought mine at a hobby store for 30! And I later discovered I could have gotten it for twenty something had I bought it on amazon. Or all three 3.5 core books for about fifty. E-bay is not the place to go apparently, but I've never tried.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 07:24 PM
What the crap?! I bought mine at a hobby store for 30! And I later discovered I could have gotten it for twenty something had I bought it on amazon. Or all three 3.5 core books for about fifty. E-bay is not the place to go apparently, but I've never tried.

There's a reason for this:

3.5 is out of print now.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 07:25 PM
Oh... hehe... forgot about that :smallredface:

Gorgondantess
2009-12-20, 07:27 PM
There's a reason for this:

3.5 is out of print now.

So? Ever since 4e came out, the 3.X books have dropped in price, not increased in price. It'll be awhile before being out of print will raise its value.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-20, 07:29 PM
So? Ever since 4e came out, the 3.X books have dropped in price, not increased in price. It'll be awhile before being out of print will raise its value.

eBay doesn't always follow normal trends in that regard. Most people just think "out of print = more money!" without considering that most out-of-print books are only expensive because they're rare.

People tend to keep their books, even if selling them would be profitable.

RebelRogue
2009-12-20, 07:47 PM
That's a rather personal question!

:smalltongue:

Ernir
2009-12-20, 07:52 PM
It's getting to the stage when I need my own PHB, but I decided that just after they stopped making them. Whoops.

Any help much appreciated

Do you know anyone who has started playing 4E recently? They might have one. :smalltongue:

UserClone
2009-12-20, 07:53 PM
I just snagged the last copies of the slick leatherbound editions of the 3.5 books at my FLGS for $75 each! :smallbiggrin:

Lioness
2009-12-20, 07:54 PM
Do you know anyone who has started playing 4E recently? They might have one. :smalltongue:

Nope. The vast majority of the Adelaideans are still in 3.5. We just don't want to move.

I go in regularly to our one gaming shop to ask if they have one, but they never do.

Lioness
2009-12-20, 07:55 PM
That's a rather personal question!

:smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

Thurbane
2009-12-20, 09:45 PM
The price of the 3.5 core bookd, especially PHB, has skyrocketed in the last few months. I would guesstimate it may be the better part of a year before it starts coming down again. I eagerly keep an eye out for any local (Australia) sellers having any at reasonable prices, as we can always use some spares for my group.

Sure, the SRD is great, but sometimes things just run a lot smoother if people have actual PHBs (and DMGs) around the table.

mikej
2009-12-20, 09:51 PM
It's been said, but just use the SRD Here. (http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm) 70$ book isn't worth it, especially a game book. Luckly, our group already owns a large bulk of 3.5 books. We just added ToB to the collection and we're pretty good now. SRD is a luxury if the players happen to have laptops.

Holocron Coder
2009-12-20, 09:54 PM
...I think I have a 3.5 PHB that I don't use anymore...

I could be convinced :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: I've no idea on shipping to Australia, though :smallfrown:

Volos
2009-12-20, 10:02 PM
Find used book shops that sell copies that they buy off of patrons of said book stores. Example, Bookmans in Arizona buys books for either cash or store credit. They usually have large selections of old RPG books, both rulebooks and adventures. It's where a friend of mine was able to find alot of AD&D core rulebooks and adventures for little to nothing.

Coidzor
2009-12-20, 10:26 PM

Well, be that as it may, generally, in my personal experience, all of the books for sale after the initial clearing of the shelves stuff have risen in price. We needed a monster manual and DMG after changing DMs, as we had gotten used to 3.5 about a year before the system change, and it ended up being less expensive to get the leather-bound printing runs than to get the regular old hard or paperback printings.

Hopefully this has calmed down since then though, since I think that was within 3 months of the changeover.

Lioness
2009-12-20, 11:39 PM
The price of the 3.5 core bookd, especially PHB, has skyrocketed in the last few months. I would guesstimate it may be the better part of a year before it starts coming down again. I eagerly keep an eye out for any local (Australia) sellers having any at reasonable prices, as we can always use some spares for my group.

Sure, the SRD is great, but sometimes things just run a lot smoother if people have actual PHBs (and DMGs) around the table.

This is pretty much my situation and mindset. I have a mind to check second hand bookshops, but I think most of the gamers around here would probably sell to the Dnd shop, because it's central and convenient, and run by awesome people.

The SRD is awesome. It's alright for when I have a computer, but if I'm going to print out all of the pages and not have a search function for it...well...I'd rather buy a PHB.

I suppose I can keep using my DM's and the SRD for the next year...hopefully people will get over the whole 'oh noes, 3.5 is out of print. Must snatch up books quickly.'

Fenlun
2009-12-21, 12:15 AM
I lucked out and a random Barnes & Noble my girlfriend works at had one :smallbiggrin:

Was the standard(ish) 35$, and they apparently carry a few more types of books (mostly things like Dungeonscape and Complete books)

Coidzor
2009-12-21, 12:23 AM
This is pretty much my situation and mindset. I have a mind to check second hand bookshops, but I think most of the gamers around here would probably sell to the Dnd shop, because it's central and convenient, and run by awesome people.

No reason not to give the usual suspects of second hand shops a shot. After all, there might just be something still in 'em due to people overlooking them as a source. Besides, I mean, hey, trips to second-hand bookstores!

In regards to using the SRD as printouts: I recommend a D-ring binder with labeled tabs to separate it into its component sections. Possibly have it additionally divided into character building, combat, adventuring, critters, and swag overcategories.

I mean, if you're going to go to all the trouble of that much paper anyway...

I used an expanded folder which had separate pockets for Skills and Feat info, Character Class Info, Combat and Adventuring Rules, and Goods and Equipment. I basically had things printed out into individual documents within the folders too. Like, one with the first half of the feats (alphabetically) stapled together, one with the second, and a similar setup dividing the skills into two pieces which resulted in having 4 packets within the skills and feat info tab. I likewise divided goods and equipment into armor, weapons, general goods, and enchanting... though I forgot to print up a list of magical items, that would've either been one by itself or one for each type of magical item.

Granted, I did this while I had free printing with my university...

A more conscientious/forward thinking individual could probably organize the information more optimally for themselves