PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew System [G7 System v0.2.1 gathering input]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-12-20, 07:40 PM
So I've decided to dust off my old Homebrew system, and realized that I may take it in a whole new direction. And this time I'm actually going to go through and finish it, however long it takes.

That said, I'm interested in what people would like to see in a system. Here's what I have so far.

A 7 level system, with either two or three abilities granted at each level.
A multiclassing/hybrid classing system designed to allow a myriad of character concepts without sacrificing power.
A customizable class design, with a few pre-determined powers and a wide range of selectable abilities for each class. For example: as a Rogue 1 you may get Sneak Attack, and the ability to pick from 1-4 other 1st level features, of which you can take 1 or 2, depending on how many abilities I decide to bestow.
Weapon-specific martial moves, based on the weapon you wield and the level you are.
Martial and Magical combat maneuvers, each using a similar yet slightly different system.

Ask me question if you want...this is pretty vaguely described, but I do know a bit more about it.

Most importantly...what do you like in a system?

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-20, 08:01 PM
What exactly did you have in mind for abilities? I would personally like to see a classless and level-less system with which you can buy abilities with XP. Sort of like this project that never got finished (http://www.wikirps.org/)

EDIT: And I do realize how difficult and outlandish a request this would be. Just thought I'd put it out there.

And I also just realized that this thread had "G7" in the title. Does that mean its GURPS or something? I have no experience at all with the system, and if that's what you're working for, I'd be of no use.

ErrantX
2009-12-20, 08:45 PM
What I like in a system is the ability to say, "I want to play this." and have the support to be able to make that happen in reasonable fashion. If I say, I wanna play a knife fighter, I want it to be just as good as if I said I want to play Merlin. Or if I get a wild hair to play something random, like, "Lordy I wish I could play something like Ichigo Kurosaki or Inuyasha!" that the game could support it without being ridiculous or impossible.

-X

SurlySeraph
2009-12-20, 09:30 PM
A balance between options and class/power balance. DnD 3.5 goes farther to the "choice" end, 4E goes farther to the "balance" end. I'd like something more in-between.

Draz74
2009-12-21, 01:24 AM

Special abilities and character options that don't introduce a lot of bookkeeping into the system.

For example, the Tome of Battle abilities that let you make a single Concentration check in place of a certain save are pretty nice; since you already have to have a Concentration check modifier on your character sheet, they don't add much bookkeeping at all. I like them much better than an ability that grants, for example, +5 on all saves vs. Fear effects.

In general, situational or temporary bonuses/penalties to die rolls are on my "bad list," and should be replaced by abilities that grant rerolls or (like the ToB example) roll replacements IMHO.

IIRC, this was my #1 quarrel with your previous G7. It's certainly one of my big gripes with 4e.

Another thing I like in a system is a strong disincentive toward the 15-minute workday syndrome: characters should be able to get exhausted and need to sleep eventually, but daily resources should always have some kind of limit so they can't all be blown in a nova.

Pronounceable
2009-12-21, 11:29 AM
Now this is a familiar thread...

I believe this is the wrong question. Mainly because it can't be answered with anything that remotely resembles cohesion under any light or from any angle. You'd be better off stating what you like and ask for comments.

As for what I like: Minimum amount of paperwork, no material components (minis? grids? tokens? bah! it's called Pen and Paper), limited number of total options (freedom is overrated, so is balance), fast PC creation, simple and fast mechanics, nonheroic combat, light to no rules on noncombat situations (what are we paying the DM for?), a layer of grit.

And this time I'm actually going to go through and finish it, however long it takes.
That's nice to hear.

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-21, 11:36 AM
no material components (minis? grids? tokens? bah! it's called Pen and Paper)

You have immaterial pens and paper? Awesome!

How do you use them, anyway?

lesser_minion
2009-12-21, 01:58 PM
I'd like to see characteristics and abilities recorded separately on the character sheet (as opposed to having your skill check modifier always depend on a specific characteristic). With the smaller numbers, this will work a lot better - and be a lot more elegant - than adding them together and forcing players to always use a particular characteristic with a particular ability.

Every number should be meaningful on its own - that means ability scores from -5 to +5, rather than 1 through 20. 4 + 1/2 level is not a great way to go.

There should only be one die type in use (I can live with d20s, but d8s, d10s, and d12s would all be better choices). Six-siders and four-siders should be killed with no remorse and no lack of napalm.

Miniatures, battlemats, and the like should all be optional.

Although extreme and/or incendiary sanctions need not be employed against them, I think hitpoints are a less-than-stellar idea. The same goes for using non-Metric units for anything but angles.

Final point: if you can, see if you can implement the Harrowed and the paradigm project.