PDA

View Full Version : #691 Treasure chest

Ronan
2009-12-20, 08:34 PM
If it has been posted already I'll delete it myself

It has me wondering: there were very powerful items delivered to the OotS in this arc, so the place(desert) is quite high level. If Elan stumbled upon a treasure chest... perhaps there's good stuff there (or comic relief, whatever :smallbiggrin:)

or maybe he took it as well and is waiting to use it (he DID take the belt of gender changing...)

I've searched the forums but didn't find anything

Asta Kask
2009-12-21, 04:18 AM
If it has been posted already I'll delete it myself

It has me wondering: there were very powerful items delivered to the OotS in this arc, so the place(desert) is quite high level. If Elan stubled upon a treasure chest... perhaps there's good stuff there(or comic relief, whatever :smallbiggrin:)

or maybe he took it as well and is waiting to use it (he DID take the belt of gender changing...)

I've searched the forums but didn't find anything

I believe it was briefly discussed and dismissed as a one-shot joke. Of course, the Giant has been sneaky with stuff like that before.

Atronach
2009-12-21, 10:16 PM
I do believe it is most likely a one time joke just to add some humor to the comic, similar to Vaarsuvius's familiar wanting a bauble.

factotum
2009-12-22, 02:30 AM
If there was anything useful in that chest we'd have seen it already. Having someone whip out a superpowerful magic item we've never seen before in strip #763 only for someone to say, "Oh, that's that really powerful item we found in that chest in the desert, isn't it?" would be really, REALLY weak writing.

NerfTW
2009-12-22, 11:52 AM
Well, yeah, if they did it like that it would be.

But given that Elan found it, and we've seen him pull out a one off joke item long after we've forgotten about it before, (the belt of gender changing) it's not unlikely that the chest might contain some helpful item that Elan will remember at some point in the future.

It doesn't need to be super powerful.

the_tick_rules
2009-12-22, 12:06 PM
Considering Elan's recent activity it better be a self-renewing trojan package in the chest.

factotum
2009-12-22, 01:32 PM
But given that Elan found it, and we've seen him pull out a one off joke item long after we've forgotten about it before, (the belt of gender changing)

Even in that case we saw the actual magic item when they originally found it, and when it was used again, it was actually important to the plot. The point I was making is that anything important to the plot which effectively appears out of nowhere is a Deus Ex Machina, and generally considered poor writing.

Ronan
2009-12-22, 10:45 PM
Even in that case we saw the actual magic item when they originally found it, and when it was used again, it was actually important to the plot. The point I was making is that anything important to the plot which effectively appears out of nowhere is a Deus Ex Machina, and generally considered poor writing.

True, a Deus Ex Machina would be bad writing in this way. I'm just eager for something like that. Or battles with Roy and his new strength for that matter.

Come on, guys... It's Elan :smallbiggrin:. We've learned he's not that dumb, but he's very funny

J.J.J-H-Schmidt
2009-12-23, 12:20 AM

you do have a point, but lame jokes and plot holes/hooks are one of the more charming features of this strip.im sure Rich is more talented than rendering stick figures for our entertainment too, but again i believe that is the point... being incredibly underwhelmed... being dropped into negative hit points by subdual damage from a slapstick.