PDA

View Full Version : How to get back a lost voice

AshDesert
2009-12-20, 11:22 PM
So, over the last few days, I've had a horrible cough, that has inevitably led to a sore throat, and my voice has become incredibly raspy, and it hurts to speak. Good news is that my phlegm is breaking up. Bad news is that voice is becoming worse. So, I wanna know, does anyone know a good way to sooth a sore throat and help recover a lost voice. I hate winter so much:smallannoyed:.

golentan
2009-12-20, 11:24 PM
Boil some water, and stir in some cloves and honey. Breathe deeply the fumes, and then drink it when it's cool enough.

Always worked for me.

Serpentine
2009-12-20, 11:28 PM
To the best of my knowledge, about the best thing you can do is just not talk. It makes it worse. Also have a look at your throat, for white spots.

Mando Knight
2009-12-20, 11:29 PM
Well... where did you last have it? :smalltongue:

More seriously, peppermint and hot tea tend to help me.

reorith
2009-12-20, 11:38 PM
do everything in this thread simultaneously.

Neko Toast
2009-12-20, 11:39 PM
My parents always told me to gargle salt water, but I never found that to be effective.

Best thing I can say is liquids, especially warm ones (as previous posters have already said), such as tea.

CoffeeIncluded
2009-12-20, 11:42 PM
Oh man, this happened to me last week.

Just try not to talk. Hot water and tea work well. If your throat hurts, cough drops.

raitalin
2009-12-20, 11:43 PM
Forget salt water, gargle vodka.

Thajocoth
2009-12-20, 11:45 PM
Apply your body's natural healing system to the affected area. If you don't see an improvement, increase the dosage.

It might take effect more easily if you also apply a concoction make from boiling tea leaves in water, possibly with added sugar and/or lactation. The exact dosage and formula of this concoction varies from individual to individual, unfortunately, so I cannot give good advice on it.

Until it's healed, don't use the effected area too much, or you might keep it strained, making it more difficult for the applications of your body's natural healing system to take effect.

At least, the above is what I would do. You may want to consult a doctor if you want a more specific, direct or personalized approach to treatment.

Kneenibble
2009-12-20, 11:53 PM
No no no, no sugar, no milk. If the sore throat and diminished voice are product of coughing, and not a symptom of the illness, then avoid very hot or very cold food and drink (even hot tea, yo). Don't whisper and talk very softly only if you have to, but with voice. Don't clear your throat by aheming, if you get mucousy then flutter your tongue rhotively and it will dislodge. Warm drinks with honey will help because honey speeds healing. Avoid caffeine too. Take this advice from a guy with professional voice training.

The advice is different if the sore throat is not just from coughing lots, but I gather that was indeed the case from your first post.

Serpentine
2009-12-21, 12:03 AM
My parents always told me to gargle salt water, but I never found that to be effective.Salt water would work for a bacterial infection, but not viral.

golentan
2009-12-21, 12:14 AM
No no no, no sugar, no milk. If the sore throat and diminished voice are product of coughing, and not a symptom of the illness, then avoid very hot or very cold food and drink (even hot tea, yo). Don't whisper and talk very softly only if you have to, but with voice. Don't clear your throat by aheming, if you get mucousy then flutter your tongue rhotively and it will dislodge. Warm drinks with honey will help because honey speeds healing. Avoid caffeine too. Take this advice from a guy with professional voice training.

The advice is different if the sore throat is not just from coughing lots, but I gather that was indeed the case from your first post.

That's what I suggested!

And cloves help by making you less sore, even if they don't do anything else handy.

Kneenibble
2009-12-21, 12:26 AM
That's what I suggested!

And cloves help by making you less sore, even if they don't do anything else handy.

Sorry for the clamour-glamour, goldenbeige, but I added a bunch of stuff too. Intended complement not occlusion.

Mmm. Cloves are numby. :smallcool:
Clovey numb-numbs, you might say. :cool:

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-21, 05:32 AM
Try to yell at the top of your lungs. It's good advice http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Kallisto
2009-12-21, 07:57 AM
^ Hee hee!

I've heard that complete silence is a must. Whispering forces air through your vocal cords excessively and it actually tires your vocal apparatus more than if you try to talk normally.

I'm a teacher and I usually get one every semester >_< I drink lemon herbal tea with a bit of honey in it and it soothes my throat, though the results are not spectacular.

If you want to try medication, I've used Neo-Laryngobis (2-bismuthal, I think it is in its generic form) and it's worked tremendously well for me. I had a very important oral presentation to make and I sounded like a toad. I took that and within 24 hours, my voice was good enough to make my little speech. The downside? It's a suppository.

Ilena
2009-12-21, 09:02 AM
I agree much with the tea or hot water and honey, as long as it has honey thats the important thing,

AshDesert
2009-12-21, 09:42 AM
Well, this morning with breakfast, I went ahead and made up some warm tea with honey (I would've gone with golentan's suggestion but we're out of cloves (something about making 5 pumpkin pies or something like that)) and my throat is feeling significantly better (if still a little sore). Thanks for the help everyone:smallbiggrin:.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-21, 10:23 AM
To the best of my knowledge, about the best thing you can do is just not talk. It makes it worse. Also have a look at your throat, for white spots.

Seconded. Sunday morning I spotted one, stuck a finger near it, and managed to pop out that tonsil stone. Then this morning(Monday), I was watching TV and managed to cough up another. The last time I had one of these and I couldn't cough it up for 3 days, by the end, my throat was feeling absolutely rotten.

thorgrim29
2009-12-21, 11:23 AM
White spots? Also, my advise is warm water, honey and rum. Actually, that's my advice for a lot of things, but it works for a sore throat.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-21, 01:10 PM
White spots? Also, my advise is warm water, honey and rum. Actually, that's my advice for a lot of things, but it works for a sore throat.

Tonsiloliths (http://www.cracked.com/article_15953_sleep-jerk-piss-shivers-5-body-mysteries-explained.html).

Nerd-o-rama
2009-12-21, 01:13 PM
Kiss the prince.

onthetown
2009-12-24, 08:19 AM
Warm drinks with honey will help because honey speeds healing.

Absolutely. I drink either green or chamomille tea with some honey mixed in and it always helps.