PDA

View Full Version : The Name Change question

EmeraldPhoenix
2009-12-21, 01:15 AM
If, for whatever reason, you had to change your name to one of the opposite sex, what would you decide on?
I brought up this discussion with my friends, and it was fun to talk about. One of them even pulled out a baby naming book and flipped through it!

So, what are your answers? (If you want, it'd help to put your original first name. But you don't have to.)

Mando Knight
2009-12-21, 01:31 AM
I've got one of those names that has a nickname that's commonly used by the other gender. Thus, I'd just probably just pick the feminine counterparts to my own name. Yes, I'm lazy like that. I'm also pretty horrible with picking names.

Jacklu
2009-12-21, 01:34 AM
I've mentioned in the LGBT thread, but I have taken a strong liking to Jackie. Clearly a transition from my forum handle, which is itself a corruption of my real name*.

*Granted, I've long found myself associating with my online tag more than my real name, but that is neither here nor there.

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-21, 02:22 AM
My name is already unisex, so I don't need to change it.

If I had to change it, I would change it to my also unisex nickname, Corin.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-21, 02:24 AM
I always liked the name Kelly and I plan to name my daughter that if I ever have one. Or I could go for the next best thing and name myself that...

Castaras
2009-12-21, 02:47 AM
I have no idea. I would use Mark, but that's my brother's name. Matthew? *shrugs*

Recaiden
2009-12-21, 02:47 AM
I would keep my name. :smallbiggrin:
Also, your avatar should be 114x118. You're making me look worse here.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-21, 02:51 AM
I've always thought I'd be an Anna. And not even because it's really close to my name now (I didn't even figure this out until two weeks ago), I just really like the name.

I can't remember what my name was going to be if I was a girl. Kinda hoping it would have been Anna.

Serpentine
2009-12-21, 02:56 AM
Real name... Oh, alright. It's Jessie (JUST Jessie).
I like the name Xavier. Probably some others I quite like...

HellfireLover
2009-12-21, 03:32 AM
Just chop a letter off my name in order to change it. I already answer to the basic and unisex contraction of my name anyway.

Serpentine
2009-12-21, 03:39 AM
I could have been called Linden or Laura. I'm glad I'm not a Laura, but I do like Linden... Actually, scrap Xavier, I'd be Linden.

Ashtar
2009-12-21, 05:21 AM
Had I been born a girl, I would of been named Vanessa. So if I had a mid-life sex change* I'd probably go with that. My initials would of then been VW instead of EW, I wonder if I would of gotten any taunting from that?

*I'd prefer the girdle of masculinity / feminity type of change.

Setra
2009-12-21, 05:35 AM
If I were actually female? I'm partial to the name Jeanne (But only when using the french pronunciation).

If I were still male and had to have a female's name? Probably something more androgynous. Perhaps Jamie.

For the record, my name is John.

ghost_warlock
2009-12-21, 05:50 AM
My name is James but I was commonly refered to as Jamie until around 2nd-grade where I decided I liked James better. I'd probably just use Jamie for simplicity.

While I was in college I had several classes with, and eventually went on a date with, a girl named Jamie who often went by the nickname James. Good times. :smallsmile: Just wish I would've had more interesting things to say on that date... :smallfrown: (Might've helped if I'd known at the time that it was supposed to be a date.)

Lioness
2009-12-21, 06:07 AM
I'm originally an Ella. I'd be a James

Which was no way inspired by your post, Ghost. Was in my head from the beginning.

Ichneumon
2009-12-21, 06:22 AM
I don't know. I wouldn't want something that's unisex or anything. Maybe something that sounds like my real name, Josephine... I don't know, can't really think of something that sounds like "me".

AshDesert
2009-12-21, 09:54 AM
If I were changed into a female, I'd just a "B" onto the front of the short version of my name and be Brandy.

If I were still male and had to take a female name, I'd take something unisex, I've always liked the sound Jordan.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-21, 10:20 AM
Probably something with an M. Kind of common, but "Marie" works. I've been going by "Molly" with some of my neighbours at work(mainly because it's quicker to pronounce and confuses people who don't know :smalltongue:). Faith, Grace, and Hope are "classics", and do have some resonance with my heart. Elle(with a few similar sounding/variants, like Belle, Ellen, Elaine, etc.) would go alright with my surname, which starts with an L("Hi, I'm Elle L.") Seconded on being girdle-girled. Heh.

Viera Champion
2009-12-21, 10:26 AM
My name is Mitchell. But I would definitely want to be called Rachel if I were female.

blackfox
2009-12-21, 11:12 AM
Were I born a boy, I was going to be named Erich Samuel (Or maybe Samuel Erich, can't remember which...)

My first name right now is unisex; were I to take on a boy's name and remain a girl I'd just change my middle name to its masculine version.

Were I to be a boy physically, I'd probably change my name to Alan. Dunno why, just like the name. Or else drop the 'el' on my first name to change it to the masculine version.

Tiger Duck
2009-12-21, 11:57 AM
If I was a girl I would have my sisters name. And my sister maybe would have had my name. It's fairly unisex.

Thufir
2009-12-21, 12:14 PM
If I were female... there is a female equivalent of my name, but I don't know if it's what I'd choose. There are girl's names which I like, but I'm not sure if I'd say they feel like me, exactly.

If I were still male but had to have a girl's name... Jayne? (Surprised no-one else has said it yet)

Perenelle
2009-12-21, 05:16 PM
hmmmm.....
I'd probably pick Luke. I've always liked the name. :smallbiggrin: and If I ever have a son that'll probably be my first choice.

Assassin89
2009-12-21, 07:13 PM
If I were female, simply changing Andrew to Andrea would not be that interesting. A possible list of names would include: Alice, Ellen, Emily, and Sarah.

Falgorn
2009-12-21, 07:15 PM
I'd be Delilah.
Why?
It sounds supah sexy. :smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2009-12-21, 07:27 PM
Klaus.

My name is Nicole.

Ninja Chocobo
2009-12-21, 07:41 PM
Being as I'm pretty sure nobody's been named "Thomasina" since the 1300s, the female version of my name is pretty much out.
So...Tabitha, maybe? Or Hannah. They're nice names.

arguskos
2009-12-21, 07:58 PM
My name is Adam. I would probably pick Eve were I to have a female name, for the joke. :smallamused:

Perenelle
2009-12-21, 08:31 PM
My name is Adam. I would probably pick Eve were I to have a female name, for the joke. :smallamused:

I had a friend named adam that my friends and I used to call Eve just to annoy him. :smallamused: good times.

Gem Flower
2009-12-21, 08:31 PM
Unisex names for the win! :smallwink:

Dragonrider
2009-12-21, 08:35 PM
Real name... Oh, alright. It's Jessie (JUST Jessie).
I like the name Xavier. Probably some others I quite like...

I have a female cousin who is just Jessie (on her birth certificate . . . no Jessica involved), too. Jesse (without the I) is a fairly common male name in this area and an astounding number of people misspell her name that way. I don't understand it. SHE IS VERY FEMALE.

My own first name is androgynous but I'd probably change the spelling (I have some letters in there that make it seem more feminine) were I to go male. :smalltongue:

Em Blackleaf
2009-12-21, 08:41 PM
My name now is Emily. I'm very fond of the name Eli. Yeah, if I was a boy, I'd want my name to be Eli.

Now I wonder what my parents would have named me if I was a boy. They didn't even think about names until they knew my gender, so they didn't even have any boy names in mind.

Krade
2009-12-21, 09:53 PM
Being as I'm pretty sure nobody's been named "Thomasina" since the 1300s, the female version of my name is pretty much out.
So...Tabitha, maybe? Or Hannah. They're nice names.

I actually worked with a woman named Thomasina until a little while ago when she got a better job.

Were I to become female and I could choose my female name? I'd have to go with Lorelei. Incedently, I'm actually listening to Styx right now... Yes I got the name from the song. I don't even like the song that much, but I love the name and should I ever be cursed blessed with having children and one of them is a girl, I would fight for the name Lorelei.

Edit: My real name is Hans.

Trog
2009-12-22, 01:25 AM
Kahvi

Trog's real name is Trog. Which is technically unisex but Trog figures what the hell.

IncarnumJunkie
2009-12-22, 01:30 AM
Sarah.

If I was a girl, I would have been named Sarah.

Phaedra
2009-12-22, 05:57 AM
Hm, my real first name has no male equivalent that I know of... (It's Eleanor, answers on a postcard if you can think of a male version). I've always quite liked the name Luke, I think I'd go for that.

wxdruid
2009-12-22, 06:28 AM
I like the names I've used for some of my male characters

Jaric
Roderick
Alister
Alaric

Zanaril
2009-12-22, 08:04 AM
People seem to think 'Zanaril' is ambiguous, so I'm fine. :smallwink:

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-22, 08:21 AM
I think I'd probably be named John if I was a boy. Though my mom would have wanted to name me Colorado. I don't know what name I'd pick for myself.

Anuan
2009-12-22, 08:26 AM
Sarah.

If I was a girl, I would have been named Sarah.

Sarah is almost-similar to my real name, and I have a cousin called Sarah who's basically a female version of me. It's scary.

So, I'd either be a Sarah as well, or a Susan. I like Susan. Maybe Jade, though. I'm not sure why, I don't like it particularly as a name...

Telonius
2009-12-22, 09:06 AM
Mine would be my actual last name, which is an appropriate first name for a female. I've been called "Ms. (Tel's first name)" often enough in e-mail correspondence that it wouldn't much bother me.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-22, 10:41 AM
Just remembered another one that I've always liked. Amanda. From Switch(starring Ellen Barkin). For some reason, after hearing that joke, I've never quite looked at the name the same way again(well, I still think it's an attractive name, but I can't help but :smallamused: when I remember the joke).

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 03:00 AM
Well, my actual name is pretty unusual, to the point that I've never met another one. Taking a girl's name, I'd want to stay unusual. Not sure what specifically, though.

rakkoon
2009-12-23, 03:15 AM
I know a guy named Eli, found out it was actually Elisabeth. Note that he's a body builder so there was no futher joking after the first WHAT??

My name's Conrad , no female version of that. Parents would have called me Karen if I was a girl. Yeah, Karen (with a K) will do.

AtomicKitKat
2009-12-23, 03:55 AM
I know a guy named Eli, found out it was actually Elisabeth. Note that he's a body builder so there was no futher joking after the first WHAT??

Obligtory link. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Boy_Named_Sue)

My name's Conrad , no female version of that. Parents would have called me Karen if I was a girl. Yeah, Karen (with a K) will do.

Connor(unisex)? Corrine?

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-23, 06:38 AM
Had I been born a girl my mum tells me I'd have been called Alexandra, and I kinda like it. So I'd probably pick that.

Quincunx
2009-12-23, 07:20 AM
I'd still have been named in honor of my grandfather, it just would've been more straightforward, with one proper spelling and one 'formalized' spelling that was very useful for sorting out junk mail by the address alone. I know the alternate name of one of my sisters (and it flows better than what she got yoked with), and the other one never had an alternate name.

onthetown
2009-12-25, 06:58 PM
Christopher!

...my first name is Kris anyway, so it wouldn't be too hard of a transition. :smallbiggrin:

GoC
2009-12-26, 05:23 AM
Both my username and real name are unisex.

the doomed one
2009-12-28, 11:39 PM
My real name is Damion.
If I were to switch to an opposite gendered name I would pick Hel or Deorin

Hel because you can't go wrong with mythological names that will piss people off (that and i very much like this name).

Deorin because it is the name of a character in a story I wrote and the name of basically every female character I have ever made in a video game.

golentan
2009-12-28, 11:43 PM
Well, if I were forced back into infancy, I'd choose Kutera. Of course, choosing sort of defeats the purpose of being male again, and...

OH! You mean human.

I'd go with Rachel.