PDA

View Full Version : Arena Exhibition: ChileEX I vs Ms. Isle

Koury
2009-12-21, 03:00 AM
Arena Exhibition: ChileEX I vs. Ms. Isle

Map:
http://i876.photobucket.com/albums/ab330/ArenaManager/Arenas/ffa01-glass_arena.png

XP Award: 0 XP
GP Award: 0 GP

Ms. Isle (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=31756) - Koury
ChileEX I (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33030) - Chile

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare final purchases, if any

No purchases.

[roll0]

Koury
2009-12-22, 02:56 AM
[roll0]

Needs moar text.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 03:14 AM
http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=33030

In case you want to know:
Blend Into Shadows - Spend a use of Darkness SLA to get Hide In Plain Sight as a swift action, have to be withing 10' of magical darkness
Fade into Darkness - Spend a use of Darkness SLA to get +5 Competence bonus on Hide for 10 minutes

Air goblin is from UA, trades Ride bonus for another +2 to dex over regular goblins. Also the Air vs. Earth stuff that doesn't matter since you aren't an earth variant race.

[roll0]

What's going to happen is I'm going to hide so just roll a spot check every turn and I'll tell you where I am if you beat my hide check.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 03:15 AM
Round 1

Start in A13.

Invoke Darkness on a coin in my pocket.

Done.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 03:18 AM
Actually, to cut back on the reduxes, I'll roll my hide outside of spoilers.

Koury
2009-12-22, 03:25 AM
Double move to N11

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 03:29 AM
Use Fade Into Darkness
[roll0]

Can look if you beat my Hide check.
Move to A9

Done.

edit: That should have read Fade Into Darkness as my standard, Blend into Shadows as a swift.

Koury
2009-12-22, 03:38 AM
I can't beat that. I'm confused however.

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) says Darkness creates an area of shadowy illumination. It also says it is suppressed (essentially) when cast on a small object and the object is in a pocket. Did you pull the coin out? Is it held in your hand or some such?

Also, does the area of the spell follow you? It says the object radiates the shadows, so I'd assume so. Can't I use that to attempt to target your square?

I should also know where the area is thats shadow-ified, I believe.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 03:45 AM
Putting the coin in my pocket blocks the spells effect, just as if it were continual flame. Darkness 'shines' shadowy illumination as if it were light. Since the spells effect is blocked, you don't see the darkness. My HIPS still works because I don't have to be IN the darkness, I just have to be within 10' of it.

If you'd prefer, I can just drop the coin in A13 (the corner in the center of the starting area) and the appropriate darkness would stay there.

Koury
2009-12-22, 03:49 AM
No, no need for that, it was the not having to be inside the darkness I missed.

Move to H12

Ready Action Cast Spell if LoS established

End

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 03:54 AM
[roll0]

Spot to look
Move to C3 as a double move.

Done.

edit: I just realized you can't beat my hide even if I move full speed and roll a 1 on the check.

Koury
2009-12-22, 03:58 AM
I can't hit your hide even if you roll a one and I roll a twenty.

Move to D13

Ready same action.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 04:39 AM
Hide check out of your range.
Ready an action to Eldritch Blast when he readies an action.

Done.

Koury
2009-12-22, 04:48 AM
Shout out: "It seems I am fighting a goblin in true form! A coward, through and through!"

Hmm... Which way did you run... [roll0] Left 1; Right 2

If left: Move to A8 and ready action.
If right: Move to B18 and ready action.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 05:02 AM
Take a free action during your turn to reply "I'm over here". This is heard to the west of your position when you started your turn. This occurs after you speak, but before you move. You may change your action if you wish.

Koury
2009-12-22, 05:13 AM
Hmm...

OK, why not. Though I do suddenly feel like I'm walking into a trap.

Move to C7 and Ready ActionIf attacked, cast spell

Question on your build: How is your speed 40? I thought small creatures = 20 ft and quick puts you at 30. Something about air goblins, I presume?

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 05:27 AM
Goblins aren't cowards, they set traps. Your feelings were right.

You trigger a readied action during your turn.

[roll0] vs. your flat footed and touch AC
[roll1] damage

I appear in C3.

With my readied action I will 5' step to the south half of D4 where I am technically squeezing.

Your turn continues as originally stated, by you readying an action.

On my next turn I hide again (a swift action)

move to G1, ready an action to EB again on a standard action.

Done.

((goblins, like kobolds, have a base speed of 30' despite that they are small))

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 05:29 AM
BTW, in 20 minutes, I'll be offline. If you want to continue this, it'll be tonight after midnight Eastern time (GMT-5).

Koury
2009-12-22, 05:49 AM
Wait, does my readied action go off? I said if attacked.

Your post seems to imply it won't go off.

Order of actions, as I see them:

You ready action
I do whatever, triggering your ready action
Your action goes off, triggering mine

Correct? :smallconfused:

Spellcraft DC 17Scorching Ray
[roll0]
[roll1]

"You're a coward indeed!" I shout.

Move forward slightly to D5. Ready action again.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 05:52 AM
My readied action interrupts your action. At the time my attack hits you, you haven't yet readied an action. Once my attack is resolved, you then ready your action.

edit: My trigger was "you perform a standard action", btw.

Koury
2009-12-22, 05:54 AM
I guess it come down to what triggered your action for me. If you said on me moving or getting into your LoE or whatever then yeah, that makes sense.

Pointless anyway since I missed. At least I still have the slot. *shrug*

EDIT: Hmm... So my action doesn't go off no matter what. I need to not use that qualifier. I was trying to get some sort of preemptive attack on what I assumed was a readied action.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 05:57 AM
So the last thing that happened is you saw me in D4-south, I hid. It's your turn.

Koury
2009-12-22, 05:58 AM
I took my turn in the same post.

Moved to D5 and readied action.

chilepepper
2009-12-22, 11:31 PM
Move to A1, same ready

Done.

Koury
2009-12-22, 11:37 PM
Move to D1; Ready Action

Cast MM on gaining LoE

End

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 12:02 AM
Move to C3, same ready
Move silently [roll0]

Done.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 12:06 AM
I just realized why you are Ms. Isle instead of Mr. Isle.

Koury
2009-12-23, 12:07 AM
"Back to this, are we?"

Move to I3, same ready.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 12:22 AM
"More accurate than you know."

[roll0] vs. your flat footed and touch AC
[roll1] damage

I appear in C3.

With my readied action I will 5' step to the north half of D4 where I am technically squeezing.

Your turn continues as originally stated, by you readying an action.

On my next turn I hide again (a swift action).
Move silently to A1 [roll2] and ready the same action again.

Done.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 12:42 AM
Oh, wait, I screwed up a bit. I can't take that 5' step. What's the trigger on your Readied action because I'm still in C3?

Koury
2009-12-23, 01:20 AM
Oh, wait, I screwed up a bit. I can't take that 5' step. What's the trigger on your Readied action because I'm still in C3?

I was just gonna ask that. My trigger was "Gain LoE" which I assume triggers.

[roll0]

Assuming your turn doesn't change much by that (though if it does, by all means, retake it. I won't really know and my turn won't change anyway)

My turn:

Move to C3 and ready action Same

End

Edit: I'm at -1/7 (Rageclaws) by the way.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 01:25 AM
That does change my turn actually. I'm now at 2 hp, that was too close.

From C3, eldritch blast you again.
[roll0] vs touch AC edit: Miss
[roll1]

I'll then hide.
and move silently to H9 [roll2]

So you are in I3 and it's your turn.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 01:32 AM
Assuming your turn is the same, moving to C3

Move to L14, ready EB on Standard action.

Done.

Koury
2009-12-23, 01:43 AM
My turn stayed the same.

"I suppose by now I shouldn't be surprised you're running. Where are you, coward!"

If you reply:

Move toward your voices direction (N, NW, W, SW, ETC) 30' and ready action.

Else:

Stand ground and ready action.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 02:23 AM
I do not speak immediately.

Ready the same action.

Done.

When your next turn begins, you hear me say "Down here" from the south east, on the north side of that diagonal wall.

Koury
2009-12-23, 03:06 AM
Move to F8 and ready same.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 03:18 AM
Triggered ready from L14
[roll0] vs flat and touch ac with a +2 cover bonus
[roll1]

5' step south to M14.

Then you ready your action.
Then it's my turn and I assume you don't take your ready action even if it's triggered because you don't have LoE.

I hide.

Move to N16 and ready the same.

Done.

Koury
2009-12-23, 03:30 AM
How are you able to take a 5 ft step on your action?

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 03:52 AM
Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:11 AM
Double move to M16

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 04:20 AM
move silently 1d20+1- to p12, ready same action

Done.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 04:21 AM
Flubbed a roll in my spoiler.

[roll0]

Done.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 04:23 AM
DC 16 Listen check to open this spoiler (a natural 19 or 20)
You hear fading movement to your southeast

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:25 AM
Shout out "Reveal yourself so we can end this, goblin coward!"

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:26 AM
[roll0]

Text.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 04:39 AM
Not talking.

edit: Though you can surrender at anytime.

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:15 AM
Surrender? You're the one on the time limit to defeat me :smallbiggrin: ~90 more rounds and your darkness wears off. and how many do you get per day? If its three, you're out and if its four, well, just the darkness is no big deal. five would suck for me, but still :smalltongue:

Move to O15 and ready.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 05:26 AM
You're joking right? You do realize I can cast darkness at will as a standard action. As in once a round, every round.

Ready same action

Done.

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:35 AM
Warlock, right.

I blame the time :smallbiggrin:

Move to O12 and ready action.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 05:42 AM
Ready to EB if he leave LoE

Done.

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:45 AM
I move to O15 and ready action.

Hopefully you expected me to keep going clockwise and I somehow messed you up.

More likely you're off in some corner laughing at me running around like this.

Oh, I know! [roll0] (joking)

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 05:53 AM
I was actually expecting you to keep going clockwise, but it only delays the inevitable. If you ever decided NOT to move, you'd really throw me for a loop.

Ready EB on standard.

Done

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 06:05 AM
So, I have a question. Why did you take Fell Drain as a feat when you can't use it?

Koury
2009-12-23, 06:14 AM
OK... Let me think this through...

You probably have LoE to me if you want me not to move but assume I'll ready an action.

I can bite and do that, most likely triggering your action, where you'll shoot and run. Assuming you haven't moved.

Wait... You haven't moved. OK, so where can you be that has LoE on me now AND while I was over at the SW tip? The only options are somewhere in the southern quarter.

OK, getting somewhere (or being totally crazy). Now, you like your squeeze moves. To keep with your current pattern AND fit with my guesses, you'd need to be in P12 or P15. Which means you're standing next to me (or were) and are waiting for me to do something to get your move off.

But wait, it can't be P15, can it? If you were expecting me to go clockwise, what could you have done? Triggered on a move? No, it'd have gone off. Triggered on a ready? No, same. Wait.. No... I don't know anymore.

I need a fireball. I guess the closest I have is burning hands. Move south one square. I don't know if I get some sort of sense check if I entered your square.

If I don't then... Uh...

Finish move at R14 and cast spell targeting Q11/12/13, P12/13, O13.

[roll0] Reflex half. DC 14.

And thats all without readying an action.

*crosses fingers and begs Boccob to have let any of this make sense and have your action be triggered on a ready and everything else*

Koury
2009-12-23, 06:17 AM
Why would I be unable to use it? Burn two level one slots via Versatile Spellcaster, gain a level 2. Use said slot to Fell Drain either Acid Splash or Ray of Frost.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 06:22 AM
That's alot of guessing, though it's good you're trying to think it through. The few people I've seen go that in depth thinking about a move have done really well in the Arena. You just have to get used to what's good and what's bad as far as builds.

Unfortunately, all that work didn't work out for you.

Casting a spell triggers my ready and I blast you again.

[roll0] touch and flat
[roll1]

I'm in P12, I take a 5' step to O12.

You fire off you spell as I thumb my nose at you, since it misses me. "Close, but no cigar."

I then rehide again
move K13, ready to move if attacked

Done.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 06:26 AM
Why would I be unable to use it? Burn two level one slots via Versatile Spellcaster, gain a level 2. Use said slot to Fell Drain either Acid Splash or Ray of Frost.

Unless someone did some crazy rules lawyering during my down time from the Arena, Versatile Spellcaster doesn't work that way. It doesn't grant high level spells than you can cast. The only combo I know of that works with VC is Precoucious Apprentice. You could then burn 1st slots to cast the predefined 2nd level spell. There are other ways to use Fell Drain, but they require other feats.

Koury
2009-12-23, 06:27 AM
YOU WERE ACTUALLY IN P12?!?!?

WHAT?

Let me borrow something from another thread real quick...

*deep breath*

NNNOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOO!!!
http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs7/i/2005/178/0/4/Rage_of_the_Red_Dragon_by_VegasMike.jpg

And on that note, I must bow out. That was as close as I will ever come to winning this fight.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 06:28 AM
Much as I hate to start a possible debate and run, it's time for me to go offline and I have a long day of cooking and baking ahead of me. I'll see you again in 18 hours, roughly.

chilepepper
2009-12-23, 06:29 AM
Good game. Taking such a dive on Spot and Listen is generally a bad idea in the Arena.

You may want to bring up that question about Versatile in the waiting room, unless it's already been discussed.