PDA

View Full Version : Crazy/Stupid things you've done that have kept you awake.

Xeluu
2009-12-21, 03:37 AM
Just as the title says folks. :3 I'm curious about the stupid/dumb/crazy things you've decided to do that you may have then regretted that have kept you from going to bed/sleep.

I'll open with the dumb thing I decided I had to do tonight.

After awakening from a nightmare this morning I expected the dream to slowly disappear from my memory throughout the day as they so normally do. Instead, this dream decided to plague me all day, and as it did and I thought about it, I realized it had great potential to be written and added to to make a suspense/horror novel.

So, of course, being the smart thing I am, I decided at 11 PM that I HAD to get it written down (some actually written out, and others into notes) before I went off to sleep. Complete with creepy mood music to set the tone for myself.

And now, of course, I find myself fearful of sleep, knowing full well my mind is running full tilt with all the ideas and thoughts and will surely bring me nightmares tonight. XD The good part is that I can hope that the dream will pick up more or less where it left off, and I will know what further happens in said story.

So, tell me, what silly things have you done that have kept you awake at night? Or simply scary stories/dreams. :3 Those are good too.

KuReshtin
2009-12-21, 04:57 AM
The most stupid thing I usually do that keeps me from going to bed is when I decide to go to bed, and then decide to start channelhopping to see if there's anything on, and then find a tv series or film that I like and haven't seen in a while, so I watch that, and then when that's done, I start channelhopping again to make sure there's nothing else good on, only to find another film that I just have to watch.... And so on, and so on..

Lioness
2009-12-21, 06:42 AM
I started reading Memoirs of a Geisha at about midnight and didn't go to sleep until I finished it. Or rather, I finished it at 5am and decided it wasn't worth going to sleep.

Dogmantra
2009-12-21, 07:59 AM
I clicked a TVTropes link at 3pm. I emerged from my room the next day at midday, having not left my computer...

Also, I was reading The Hitch-Hikers' Guide to the Galaxy for the third time, I think, and I kept telling myself "oh, but it's just about to get to a really good bit." It, incidentally, kept being "just about to get to a good bit", right up until I stopped reading... because I'd finished the entire series. Meh, sleep can wait. My favourite books take precedence.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-21, 09:02 AM
I've definitely done the rereading a favorite book one. :smalltongue: Happened to me just last night with John Dies At The End. Went to bed at 11:00, picked it up as just something to read before I go to sleep, didn't turn out the light til like 1:30-2:00.

Keshay
2009-12-21, 10:10 AM
Stupidest thing done that kept me awake?

Probably drinking 5-6 8oz. Vodka/Red Bulls (1:1 mix). Nothing beats being blasted out of your goard with no hope of falling asleep. Seriously, they should use it as a form of torture.

Dogmantra
2009-12-21, 10:22 AM
Oh yeah, and during the school holidays and on Saturday nights, at midnight, I tend to go downstairs with my brother, make a cup of tea and play Cards (actually some Chemistry game called Atom@tak) or our more recent pastime: "Dice", which is a game I kind of invented on the spot about a week ago.

The caffeine and "excitement" from that generally keeps me awake for a good couple of hours.

thorgrim29
2009-12-21, 11:29 AM
Well when I'm falling asleep at the wheel I hit myself in the thigh or face, not sure if it counts as stupid.... But for stupid... a week or so ago I decided to watch "just one" episode of big bang theory at 11 30, I had to get up at 7 the next morning. Needless to say that if it hadn't been for the cold I would have fallen asleep a few times that day.

Gaelbert
2009-12-21, 02:46 PM
I was going to lend out my copy of V for Vendetta to someone at school, but I wanted to skim through it before I did so. I started it at midnight, and finished at 3 in the morning. The morning my finals started.

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-21, 04:16 PM
Studying History of Philosophy for a whole night, without interruption, with a 2 litres coke bottle at my side that I completely drank down.

At 6 am I had somekind of walkabout hallucination, and I end up running in the street. :smallfrown:

Ilena
2009-12-21, 04:33 PM
Me? Pretty well stupidest thing i do often is finish playing a game, and say oh well ill just see whos on msn or whatever then go to bed ... then end up staying up 3 hours talking to people .... :S

thubby
2009-12-21, 05:13 PM
i get sleep paralysis, so from time to time I run screaming from my room in the wee hours of the morning in my underwear. :smallsigh:

Setra
2009-12-21, 05:15 PM
Whenever I start playing a new game, I tend to play it for a LONG time.

When I first played Lost Odyssey I played it for Eight Hours straight. Mind you I love that game, and beat it in 5 days (8 hours a day).

Decoy Lockbox
2009-12-22, 01:28 AM
I had a final exam today, and I had planned on studying yesterday and today. Instead I slacked off all day yesterday, then watched Battlestar Galactica reruns all night until 7am, went to sleep, woke up at 3pm today and frantically crammed for 2 hours before heading off to take the test.

IncarnumJunkie
2009-12-22, 01:34 AM
The only time i've spent an all-nighter other than my senior prom was with my friend Matt.

We were having a sleep-over at my house, playing Halo 2 and stuff all night (this was a while ago). So we finally decided that it was time to go to sleep. We can't get to sleep so we try talking ourselves to sleep, and I look out the window of my living room and it's getting bright out and i'm like "Dude! The sun's coming up!" So we never went to sleep until later that morning.

Stormthorn
2009-12-22, 02:38 AM
I once intentionaly stayed up for 24 hours to beat my previous (unintentional) record.

I also once freaked out after entering a hypnogogic state while falling asleep and i forced myself to wake up and when i calmed down much later i couldnt fall asleed until almost dawn.
It was a school morning.

Temotei
2009-12-22, 02:42 AM
Pushups. Yep. While watching random television shows or playing a game. I'll just drop and do fifty, go back to watching/playing/reading...drop and do fifty...etc. :smallbiggrin:

My favorite stay-awake formula is a party with friends, though. Obviously.

Decoy Lockbox
2009-12-22, 04:38 AM
One of my old college roomates stayed up for 64 hours coding a project for a class. He failed the class.

rayne_dragon
2009-12-22, 12:43 PM
Worrying over something I can't do anything about is what usually does it for me. That or just keeping odd hours and expecting to switch back to a normal sleep pattern just because I want to.

Whammydill
2009-12-22, 01:44 PM
My gaming group were really into a game I was running and didn't want to stop, but everyone was tired. It's just snowed big-time outside and there are snow-drifts piled up everywhere. So I declare I will award EXP to whoever dives headfirst into snowbanks. Leading by example, I shucked my shirt and dove headfirst into a big snow-drift. I'M AWAKE!!!

Everyone follows suit and we are now charged up enough from the cold and insanity-induced adrenaline to keep gaming. Except poor Bob, he dove into a snow bank that had a wooden sled burried in it. We had to dig him out, I think he must have knocked himself out or dazed himself. We all laughed at him because stuff like that is about par for him.

UserClone
2009-12-23, 12:39 AM
My gaming group were really into a game I was running and didn't want to stop, but everyone was tired. It's just snowed big-time outside and there are snow-drifts piled up everywhere. So I declare I will award EXP to whoever dives headfirst into snowbanks. Leading by example, I shucked my shirt and dove headfirst into a big snow-drift. I'M AWAKE!!!

Everyone follows suit and we are now charged up enough from the cold and insanity-induced adrenaline to keep gaming. Except poor Bob, he dove into a snow bank that had a wooden sled burried in it. We had to dig him out, I think he must have knocked himself out or dazed himself. We all laughed at him because stuff like that is about par for him.

Oh Bob!:smallsigh:

Seriously, I LOLed.

Thajocoth
2009-12-23, 03:47 AM
Clicking the "Forum" button on this website. I should be sleeping right now.

Other, similar things. Basically, if I'm in the middle of something, I have trouble stopping before I'm done, and I've got a horrible sense of time. I'll look at a clock, continue playing a video game, and "5 minutes later" look at a clock again, and see that my "5 minutes" was really 5 hours. No exaggeration...