PDA

View Full Version : Words that don't exist, but should

Lioness
2009-12-21, 07:05 AM
I've realised, I use a lot of words that really should exist, but don't.

embiggen
shouldn't've (and other double contractions)
Scaredified

And others that don't come to me right now but that will probably pop up later.

What are yours?

Mercenary Pen
2009-12-21, 07:10 AM
Wikipede- used to refer to any person who uses wikis as their only leg to stand on when making their case.

Other than that, I stick to real languages and technobabble (the latter only when appropriate).

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-21, 07:12 AM
Positivalyze, and its counterpart, Negativalyze, though mostly the first, when talking about the Absolute Value function.

Quincunx
2009-12-21, 07:18 AM
Doubleplus cromulent.

How can a phrase which makes no sense be so meaningful?

Dogmantra
2009-12-21, 07:36 AM
I love making verbs out of adjectives and whatnot, or nouns out of verbs, or nouns out of adjectives.
I think the process of turning them into verbs should be called verbification, and the results of making nouns should be called nonisms.

An example nonism: hap, from happy.

This is the sort of thing that goes on in my head, all the time.

EDIT: Oh, and taking "prefixes" off words that don't have an opposite, like "may" from "dismay", or "gusting" from "disgusting"

Double Edit: Ironical. I love it so much more than ironic. I wish it was a real word. It's really hard when I have to write proper essays for exams, because I have to resist adding that extra "al".

GrlumpTheElder
2009-12-21, 08:22 AM
Enshrunkle, the opposite of embiggen.

smellie_hippie
2009-12-21, 08:33 AM
Glomp.

I mean c'mon... it's used around here enough. :smallamused:

ghost_warlock
2009-12-21, 08:50 AM
Whiloplenulent

I assume the meaning is self-evident.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-21, 08:55 AM
Enwarmening is one I use. Like, "it's cold, I should go to the coffee shop and get an enwarmening beverage."

KuReshtin
2009-12-21, 08:58 AM
Anywhen, Somewhen and Everywhen.

"When did you last see your lost item?"
"Somewhen last night."

Trog
2009-12-21, 09:27 AM
Sniglet (snig'lit) - n. Any word that doesn't appear in the dictionary, but should.

Here's a bunch. (http://bertc.com/subfour/truth/sniglets.htm) :smallbiggrin:

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-21, 10:20 AM
He entirity of both 'Meaning of Liff' books, while we're on that subject.

Dogmantra
2009-12-21, 10:36 AM
He entirity of both 'Meaning of Liff' books, while we're on that subject.

Which is basically just the entire contents of The Deeper Meaning of Liff, since that has all of the entries from the first as well. :smalltongue:

Urbek
2009-12-21, 10:45 AM

How about: Squozen

Grimlock
2009-12-21, 11:52 AM
Therapise.
As in, I've just been to therapy and been therapised.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-21, 12:03 PM
Hugga Bubba Love. (http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=1620)

Tirian
2009-12-21, 12:45 PM
Wikipede- used to refer to any person who uses wikis as their only leg to stand on when making their case.

I take the root in a different direction, and describe the self-appointed police of Wikipedia's editorial policy as Wikipedants.

I am a believer in "ept" to mean "satisfactorily competent". There are also a number of internetty words like "elsenet" and "meatspace".

And just to second the OP, I have found a lot of times when I was searching for the right synonym of "enhance" and concluded that "embiggen" was exactly the word I was looking for. I'm shocked and a little disappointed that it isn't even in Dictionary.com, even though "cromulent" is.

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-21, 02:32 PM
Ok, I'm from Spain and I've also thought this about my language! That was some time ago, but anyway, I "created" some new words and aceptions for me to use in spanish, that of course, could be translated to english (hopefully, we share lots of words with latin origin, so this will be easy).

Pateticist - a person who willingly tries to influence and/or dominate another by being pitiful.

Fluctuant - a person who doubts and considers two or more things at the same time, and cannot decide between any of them, and goes permanently jumping from one option to another, never staying in one and always analizing pros and cons, without having any final decision.

Kneenibble
2009-12-21, 02:43 PM
I am a believer in "ept" to mean "satisfactorily competent".

Instead of apt? Why?
It's only an e in inept because in Latin prefixion usually causes vowel morphology. (aptum/ineptum)

SDF
2009-12-21, 02:50 PM
Tadaftemer - The day after tomorrow.

Tirian
2009-12-21, 04:48 PM
Instead of apt? Why?

Because "apt" doesn't mean "not inept". It's a narrow band on the other side of the quality spectrum. An apt pupil is the star of the class, an apt response is one that is remarkably appropriate to the situation. I'm looking for a word to describe the C student, and IME people hone in quickly that that is what "ept" conveys.

I am now reminded that "meh" should also be a word.

Setra
2009-12-21, 04:51 PM
I have a word I invented

Cvor

It basically means "So bored that doing anything isn't fun"

Dr. Bath
2009-12-21, 05:18 PM
Hiding: A bell you can't reach

Fondue: An affectionate sheep

Posthumous: The act of delivering Greek food by mail

Perenelle
2009-12-21, 05:26 PM
I think that the word "Christmassify", originally said by Dr. Bath, should definitely be a word. :smalltongue:

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-21, 05:33 PM
Chuch- A shortening of church, used to claim that the preceding statement is in fact the gospel truth.

Lesigh- Frenchy statement of resignation.

Frenchy- Something that bears french characteristics.

Kneenibble
2009-12-21, 07:46 PM
Because "apt" doesn't mean "not inept". It's a narrow band on the other side of the quality spectrum. An apt pupil is the star of the class, an apt response is one that is remarkably appropriate to the situation. I'm looking for a word to describe the C student, and IME people hone in quickly that that is what "ept" conveys.
Oh.
Now that you've explained it, I quite like that. Two votes to coin ept.

DraPrime
2009-12-21, 07:52 PM
I've always been a fan of the word "auhwibble." It's just so fun to say!

Auhwibble!

Gem Flower
2009-12-21, 08:42 PM
Paisphobia: The fear of one's childhood, not for any traumatic or terrifying event, but for other reasons, ex. the lack of any concrete memories in this period of one's life.

Froogleyboy
2009-12-21, 08:45 PM
If it hasn't be said:
Hisself
Theirselves

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-22, 05:43 AM
I always was shocked that english language doesn't use two diferent words for you (singular) and you (plural). So here's another new word:

Yous: 2nd person plural

Emperor Ing
2009-12-22, 05:53 AM
An old favorite of mine

Magnatuidous: Something of magnitude, great effect
"His speech had a very magnatuidous effect on the audience"

Jimorian
2009-12-22, 05:59 AM
I'm'n'a
Snab

I'm'n'a snab the last cookie.

X2
2009-12-22, 06:44 AM
"Awfulsome"

A potent brother of So Bad it's Good.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-12-22, 10:18 AM

Heh, that one's mine :smallwink:

Hiding: A bell you can't reach

Fondue: An affectionate sheep

Posthumous: The act of delivering Greek food by mail

I listened to that.
Hundred: Fear of the Germans

I always was shocked that english language doesn't use two diferent words for you (singular) and you (plural). So here's another new word:

We used to (ye) but we got rid of it. Ah, the joys of grammatical simplification.

Shades of Gray
2009-12-22, 10:26 AM

We used to use:

{table]-|Nominative | Accusative | Possessive
Singular|Thou|Thee|Thy
Plural|Ye|You|Thine[/table]

But now we use "you" for everything.

Which is just silly. Why use the plural accusative for everything? That would be like replacing "I, me, and we" with "us"

Quincunx
2009-12-22, 10:46 AM

It's spelled "youse", although the 's' can morph into a 'z' sound for some people, and is only used in Northeastern US urban dialects, so: Yo! Will youse people pipe down, I'm trynna* order a sub & soda!

*"trying to"

Kneenibble
2009-12-22, 11:44 AM
{table]-|Nominative | Accusative | Genitive
Singular|Thou|Thee|Thy
Plural|Ye|You|Your[/table]

Fixed that for thee.
Thine is to thy as yours is to your. :P

I'm all for Youse/Youse/Yourses myself, and I've heard it used in just that context a surprising amount... (as plural second person, not ordering a sub and soda with New Italian impatience).

Weimann
2009-12-22, 05:47 PM
Overmorrow - the day after tomorrow.

Tirian
2009-12-22, 10:54 PM
It's spelled "youse", although the 's' can morph into a 'z' sound for some people, and is only used in Northeastern US urban dialects, so: Yo! Will youse people pipe down, I'm trynna* order a sub & soda!

*"trying to"

Different US regions have their own second person plural. "Youse" is on the Atlantic Coast, but in Pittsburgh you'd say "yinz". And then throughout the south, you've got "you all" or "y'all".

KilltheToy
2009-12-22, 11:57 PM
We used to use:

{table]-|Nominative | Accusative | Possessive
Singular|Thou|Thee|Thy
Plural|Ye|You|Thine[/table]

But now we use "you" for everything

Well, there is "y'all", but you people seem to not like it. Can't imagine why.

Lioness
2009-12-23, 12:44 AM
Spifflical. Fancy, spiffy.

bicyclist. One who rides bicycles

UserClone
2009-12-23, 01:07 AM
Understanderishable: A term that means "you might not totally understand this, but you ought to be able to pick up the basic gist from the context."

Partof1
2009-12-23, 01:30 AM
Sarcasticism.

A sarcastic statement.

Setra
2009-12-23, 05:12 AM
Well, there is "y'all", but you people seem to not like it. Can't imagine why.
Ugh, my entire family uses that.. among other things.

I'm noted for being the only person in my extended family to not have an accent.. This is because I hate my accent and am very good at hiding it..

Ah sound sum'n lahk this when ah let it slip

RandomNPC
2009-12-23, 09:44 PM
exploditate
dramasticly

outside of that, i like adding suffexis and prefixes and things like -afying and whatnot.

also, when did google become a verb?

Anuan
2009-12-23, 10:19 PM
Overmorrow - the day after tomorrow.

This is a good one.

My cousin and I use 'Scungy' (pronounced skunjee) for people/things/sensation that give off a feeling of filth, dirtiness and grit and sliminess.
Like, this guy I used to know, who smoked so much of a certain illegal substance he couldn't afford to feed himself, would be adequately described as scungy.

willpell
2009-12-23, 10:55 PM

Silly Spaniard, we have two perfectly good second-person pronouns! The singular is "y'all", and the plural is "all y'all"! :smallbiggrin:

Kurien
2009-12-23, 10:56 PM
Wrunch: What not to have for a midday meal.

Coidzor
2009-12-23, 10:57 PM
Winningest is one...

onthetown
2009-12-24, 07:52 AM
The local accent dictates that "slippy" should be a word.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard any "aboots" or "hosers" yet. :smallbiggrin:

Blas_de_Lezo
2009-12-24, 08:21 AM
Silly Spaniard, we have two perfectly good second-person pronouns! The singular is "y'all", and the plural is "all y'all"! :smallbiggrin:

LOL!! :smallwink:

Egiam
2009-12-24, 01:09 PM
-Chalantly: Adverb
To perform something theatrically.

-Gratchy: Adjective
Hm... hard to define. Weird, strange, funny, sarcastic...

Example: Farmers wearing overalls are gratchy. Ugly yellow buildings are gratchy. Monty Python's flying circus is Gratchy.

Sneak
2009-12-24, 01:21 PM
Glick- the mysterious disgusting sticky stuff on the bottom of the movie theater floor that may have been there since the dawn of time.

Gamerlord
2009-12-24, 01:37 PM
Word I want to exist:
Awesomesauce

Nomrom
2009-12-25, 08:21 AM
Yesterday I used the word "embodify" instead of "embody" for a whole conversation and never knew I was wrong. So, know I think I'll always say embodify cuz it sounds so much cooler.

Cyrion
2009-12-29, 11:38 AM
I found out the other day that my favorite word that should be a word actually IS a word: concision.

Just as being precise is to have precision, being concise is having concision.

UserClone
2009-12-29, 12:44 PM
Concision is nice, but I prefer specificity. Go on, say specificity with good enunciation and diction, and just TRY not to sound smart. :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2009-12-29, 01:00 PM
As far as I'm concerned, if I use a word, it exists. If I say something and someone asks "Is that a word?" I habitually respond "It is now."

Unless I know it was already a word. Then I just say "Yes." and give a definition.

Dogmantra
2009-12-29, 01:20 PM
Take off the "prefixes" from every word in this list. (http://www.rinkworks.com/words/negatives.shtml)

Also: Flamingeese, the plural of Flamingo. It sounds so much better.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-29, 03:08 PM
Kersplode. It's like explode, but more of an onomatopoeia.

UserClone
2009-12-29, 03:44 PM
Ah, yes. How could I forget about "derstand?" To my group of friends, it only made sense that if we "got it" when you explained something to us, it was understood. So, frequently, when we had no idea what the other was talking about, we'd just say, "Whoa, whoa. Time out, dude, I completely derstand what you're saying to me right now."

Dr. Bath
2009-12-30, 04:48 AM
Couth (curteous, gracious, grateful, civilised, etc. Autonym: Uncouth) is definitely a word, no matter what other people say.

As is Magenpie.

Cyrion
2009-12-30, 12:15 PM
One of my mom's favorites is obnox:

"Obnox not, lest ye be obnoxed."

I used to hear that a lot...

willpell
2010-01-05, 10:10 AM
While I'm normally a bit uptight about correct word usage, lately I've been finding that my internal dialogue contains the word "Annihilicate" instead of its proper "c"-less version with increasing frequency. It just sounds cooler this way, and it is somewhat consistent with words like "masticate" and "inculcate". If nothing else, spell it with a capital K and it makes an awesome supervillainess name: Annihili-Kate

Charity
2010-01-05, 06:53 PM
A friend of mine likes to invent words, two of my favs are

Nunky⋅ [nuhn-kee]

–adjective, nunk⋅i⋅er, nunk⋅i⋅est.

covered with wide undulating lumps, on its surface as found on naan bread.

sausorite   [sos-or-ite]

–noun minced pork, beef, or other meats, often combined, together with various added ingredients and seasonings, usually stuffed into a prepared intestine or other casing and then massively overcooked on a barbeque or similar until utterly carbonised.

Eldariel
2010-01-09, 09:32 PM
Somewhy. I use it constantly, it's self-explanatory and useful. Yet it isn't a word. What gives?

Aedilred
2010-01-11, 01:25 PM
What's wrong with "adept"? Which actually is the opposite of "inept".

I'd just go back to "thou", personally. In fact, I have been known to.

(from the list of "prefixed" words):
debunk
incessant
"bunk" is not usually used as a verb, but "debunk" is coined from the noun "bunk" and means effectively "to take the bunk out of". It should really be spelt "de-bunk" as in, say, "de-louse".
"Cessant" is a word, it's just no longer in widespread use.

I apologise for my unwonted pedantry...

Dogmantra
2010-01-11, 01:33 PM
What's wrong with "adept"? Which actually is the opposite of "inept".

Adept implies that the person doing it is good. I believe "ept" is supposed to imply adequacy but nothing more.

Raiki
2010-01-11, 08:15 PM
Schpadoinkle- Adj. Bringing happiness, sun-shiny, all over good.

Example: "Today is a very Schpadoinkle day."

Dispozition
2010-01-14, 01:15 AM
Terribad: Terribly bad.
"That performance was terribad".

Ridonculous: Overly ridiculous.
"Why, that's just ridonculous!

RobertoBlasini
2010-01-14, 01:17 AM
The result of Scrabble at 1 in the morning with friends:
Gihaeporectumsz: An universal adjective.

Soterion
2010-01-14, 01:47 AM
Drismal: typical description of the weather in Wales or Seattle.
Snubby: Horizontally squashed (by comparison to stubby).
Grudgingness: The condition of doing something grudgingly.

Hell Puppi
2010-01-14, 01:53 AM
Rhinoceratorial-
Of or in some way similar to a rhino. As in 'that car is rhinoceratorial'.

Ginormous-
Very, very large. Usually in such a way as to awe the viewer.

Huh...is 'ginormous' now a word? I'm not getting the red squiggle line under it :smallconfused:

cho_j
2010-01-14, 02:35 AM

I don't usually use "yous" (try saying THAT ten times fast!), but I am an avid uses of "yourguys's," as in "These are ours, and those are yourguys's."

Relatedly, I also love y'all and y'all's. Not sure if those are real words, or only real in the South of the U.S., or what. But I use 'em all the time.

cho_j
2010-01-14, 02:37 AM
Ginormous-
Very, very large. Usually in such a way as to awe the viewer.

Huh...is 'ginormous' now a word? I'm not getting the red squiggle line under it :smallconfused:

Actually, ginormous became a word in the most recent addition of the Oxford English Dictionary! It's ginormously awesomeful.

Juhn
2010-01-14, 03:13 AM
I'm'n'a

I've heard this regularly shortened to both "I'm'a" and some word that sounds roughly like "Ahm", in conversation.

I'm also in favour of reworking the prefixes un- and dis- so that un- conveys neutrality and dis- conveys a negative (or opposite, if the word itself is "negative"), but since it's 3:30 in the morning I can't really come up with a useful example of this.

I really should go to sleep.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-01-14, 06:48 AM
I don't usually use "yous" (try saying THAT ten times fast!), but I am an avid uses of "yourguys's," as in "These are ours, and those are yourguys's."

Relatedly, I also love y'all and y'all's. Not sure if those are real words, or only real in the South of the U.S., or what. But I use 'em all the time.
That's just silly, everybody knows that the multiple form of you is youse.

:smalltongue:

Adlan
2010-01-14, 07:02 AM
I'd quite like ya'll to be real, a plural of you, thats not you (plural).

I use alot of dialect words and grammer, so things that are correct to me, are often assumed by others to be made up by me. Pample, Sosh, Slantendicular, my use of that *That's a nice day today, instead of It's*, use of the prefix a, afore, afront, Hawnser, uses of queer and rum, Squit.

All sorts.

potatocubed
2010-01-14, 07:36 AM
Integrous meaning 'to possess integrity'.

If someone has will, they are willful. If someone has honour, they are honourable. If someone has integrity, they are... what? Not integral, that means something else. It's been bugging me for years.

Killer Angel
2010-01-14, 12:21 PM
Winterized.
You know, when it's really really reaally cold, and the wind blows icy snow, and you come home with fingers almost freezing... "yeah, I've been winterized!"

willpell
2010-01-14, 08:20 PM

Oddly, I use "y'all" and "howdy" frequently in what otherwise bears absolutely no resemblance to a Southern or Western patois.

willpell
2010-01-14, 08:22 PM
Winterized.
You know, when it's really really reaally cold, and the wind blows icy snow, and you come home with fingers almost freezing... "yeah, I've been winterized!"

Winterize actually is a word, but it means "to prepare for winter, such as by adding insulation". For instance you might "winterize" your driveway by adding a special water-resistant coating to keep it from icing up.

Killer Angel
2010-01-15, 02:52 AM
Winterize actually is a word, but it means "to prepare for winter, such as by adding insulation". For instance you might "winterize" your driveway by adding a special water-resistant coating to keep it from icing up.

Really? wow... Ninja'd by the english language! :smallredface:

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-01-18, 01:25 PM
WHATSHIPNESS

I'm sure there would be some use in Epistemology for that. :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2010-01-18, 07:15 PM
Popped into my head as I was waking up, went 'that's not a word...but it should be! ._.'

Politefull, politefully: Excessive politeness, either out of actual courteousness or as an attempt at buttkissery.

Lupy
2010-01-18, 10:43 PM

I propose yall, as a synonym.

Also: Mortard: [N] A person who is both a moron and a retard.

Fiery Diamond
2010-01-18, 11:05 PM
I have so many that I just don't care anymore whether they're words or not.

Awesometastic: Really, really, awesome.
Fatabulous: A synonym for the above.

Gihugic: Much cooler synonym for ginormous.

Failtastic: Describes something that fails spectacularly in a horrible way.

And many more.

TRM
2010-01-18, 11:08 PM
******ry, relating to homosexuality.

"We were sharing our coming out stories and other ******ry."

edit: You may find this shocking and appalling—the board filter certainly does—but I like it and I am part of the group that it refers to, so it clearly is not meant in a derogatory manner.

Art (verb), To art.

"I arted hardcore last night; I finished my final project painting!"

Those are two I use all the time, that I think should be in common usage.

Stompy
2010-01-18, 11:20 PM
Wolf (verb): To be attacked by a wolf.

Man, you just got wolved in the face!

GenPol
2010-01-20, 05:06 PM
Guilting: As in, "He took the less guilting action."

Coatl Ruu
2010-01-20, 08:06 PM
actiony - adj: the quality or property of containing action, usually involving fight scenes and/or explosions.

homodiction - n: a word or phrase uttered by two individuals at the same time.

edit: I got another one.

nuh - a response indicating boredom, in response to a question inquiring what one is doing at the time.

willpell
2010-01-22, 03:57 AM
homodiction - n: a word or phrase uttered by two individuals at the same time.

I should be better than this, but that isn't where my mind went upon seeing the word.

Coatl Ruu
2010-01-22, 06:44 AM
I should be better than this, but that isn't where my mind went upon seeing the word.

:smallsigh: ...I see what you did there.

willpell
2010-02-19, 06:28 AM
Recently I picked up the Static-X album "Shadow Zone", and it has a lyric which I misheard as easily the most epic made-up word of my life: "Disasterbation"! Since it turns out that he was actually using the word it sounds like, instead than coinifying a more awesomer versiant, I'm claiming this as my creation, and releasing it under one of those Open Content License thingies. :smallbiggrin:

Fortuna
2010-02-19, 06:31 AM
Neil Stephenson's excellent bullshytt definitely qualifies, I think.

Sahaar
2010-02-19, 08:05 AM
If they haven't been said already--

lol, rofl, lmao, wtf, XD, hax, ttyl, asap

I mean, people use these more than regular English on chatrooms (and you knowhow many people use them these days)

Edit: Got another

Meef/Shmeh (MEEF/sh-MEH): Words that can mean anything. Used when you're lookign for the right word to say, but can't for the life of you figure it out.

E.G.:
Person 1: What does (word X) mean again?
Person 2: Meef