PDA

View Full Version : This one boss in Dragon Age is So. Freaking. Hard.

Dragonmuncher
2009-12-21, 11:10 AM
So as not to spoil, I will just say that I'm trying to kill the dragon you have to fight out in the wilderness. You know the one I mean?

HARD. Very. Should I rush in with tanks? Try to pepper it with ranged?

I have all the characters except the dwarf, and I'm about level 12.

Cristo Meyers
2009-12-21, 11:17 AM
Come back later, not high enough level. Right now you are nought but appetizers.

Stay at range, she never moves from the platform. Use big spells like Blizzard and Tempest. Spread out so the fire breath only hits one person at a time.

Isak
2009-12-21, 11:49 AM
If you're talking about

Flemeth

Then yes, it is quite a pain of a fight. Not the hardest, but certainly in the Top 5 I'd say.

Come back around level 14ish and it should be a fair bit easier

Myatar_Panwar
2009-12-21, 11:56 AM
At level 14 I went back and did it with literally no mages, as the one mage I DID have was not allowed to come. How did I do it?

-My TWF Rogue
-Alister sword and board
-Sten 2hander
-Ogrhen 2hander

Basically after Alister died within the first 30 seconds, it was Sten and Ogrhen switching aggro around the entire fight. They both have indomitable, which makes them completely immune to all of the cc Bull**** that dragon pulls every 5 seconds.

My rogue would provide damage until he got aggro, was CC'd away, and the other guys would have to get aggro back.

Honestly I'm still unsure as to how I was allowed to beat that fight with 0 ranged, but it happened.

shadow_archmagi
2009-12-21, 04:56 PM
Two mages alternating Blizzard, Cone of Cold, Frost Thingy with Frost Weapons on. Allister and WHOOSADOGGYTHEN were able to chop it up

Jeivar
2009-12-21, 05:03 PM
Hm. If I remember correctly, I beat the dragon on my first go, or at the very least it didn't take many tries. I can't remember the level I was on, but I just had my warrior and Alistair hack at away at it, Leliana spraying arrows, and Wynne binging on lirium potions and healing healing healing.

Wynne is a freaking walking cheat code.

Lifeson
2009-12-21, 06:03 PM
Why do you think you pronounce her "Win"?

Thanatos 51-50
2009-12-21, 06:17 PM
Wynn plays healer-lady, Alistair plays Flanking buddy, any decent TWF Rogue plays Flanker, PC does his/her thing.

I did it with Wynn, Alistair, my PC (A TWF Rogue) and Leliana. No sweat.

Belobog
2009-12-21, 07:32 PM
See, for the wild dragon, I used my normal boss-killing strategy: have my tank taunt, then Force Field the tank and shoot the boss while it wails on the invulnerable wall of your choice.

konfeta
2009-12-21, 07:40 PM
For the record, using the strategy Belo suggested will clear basically every encounter in the game when combined with Taunt. Thanks to whatever A.I. programmers at Bioware were smoking, Force Field doesn't wipe aggro off the target, which means supposedly ancient demi-god beings, powerful mages, and elite veterans will happily whack the guy inside the invulnerable glowing bubble. All while your party kills them without as much as a middle finger towards them.

Don't, it basically takes the fun/challange out of the gameplay part of the game. Unless you are the kind of person who automatically brings up the console and activates Godmode no matter what game you play.

Stormthorn
2009-12-21, 08:03 PM
For the record, using the strategy Belo suggested will clear basically every encounter in the game when combined with Taunt. Thanks to whatever A.I. programmers at Bioware were smoking, Force Field doesn't wipe aggro off the target, which means supposedly ancient demi-god beings, powerful mages, and elite veterans will happily whack the guy inside the invulnerable glowing bubble. All while your party kills them without as much as a middle finger towards them.

Don't, it basically takes the fun/challange out of the gameplay part of the game. Unless you are the kind of person who automatically brings up the console and activates Godmode no matter what game you play.

Or the sort of person who plays for achievments. Or the sort will quit out of a Modern Warefare 2 match if your losing to keep your win/loss record 100% win.

If this is the boss im thinking then A: you dont have to fight her and B: bring a party member that can bring people back from the dead and one that can pull aggro. Have potions to restore mana.

Player_Zero
2009-12-21, 08:19 PM
Spam cone of cold to keep them stunned the entire combat? It's what I did for most of the game.

Dienekes
2009-12-21, 09:03 PM
Pretty much the answer to any problem in the game, spam mage cheese.

Triaxx
2009-12-22, 06:29 AM
It's not just quit, they leap for the XboX if it's close enough and jerk the power. Makes them feel better that it was an error with the power cable.

Toastkart
2009-12-22, 06:44 AM
I actually just beat that fight last night on my second try. At lvl 12, my twf rogue, Alistair with 2h sword, the hound, and Wynne playing support. Most of my rogue stuns seemed to be easily resisted, but the boss was frozen alot, and Wynne only has the first level ice spell.

Holocron Coder
2009-12-22, 05:09 PM
I made it first try. Brought my character (Rogue, TWF), Ogrhen (2HF), the Dog, and Wynne. My character got eaten, Ogrhen died, then I took control of Wynne and healed the dog until it bit the dragon's ankles to death.

Healers having no aggro is win.