PDA

View Full Version : Duel Wielding Tower Shield Fighter

ChakraChanter
2009-12-21, 11:40 AM
Can anyone help me with a build that would be appropriate for such a thing?

SurlySeraph
2009-12-21, 12:01 PM
By RAW, shield bonuses to AC don't stack and you can't shield bash with tower shields, so one of your shields would be useless to you.

With that said, there's some discussion of dual-shielding here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117162) that might be useful. Wielding a tower shield and spiked heavy shield can work.

Duos Greanleef
2009-12-21, 02:16 PM
Doesn't a tower shield grant cover instead of an armor bonus?
(I'm not perfectly familiar with 3.x but I thought I remembered reading that)
Theoretically, the spiked shield + tower shield build could work.
Besides that, it sounds REALLY awesome to imagine, so I'd (as a DM) allow this with all sorts of glee and happiness.
:smallsmile:

Moriato
2009-12-21, 02:20 PM
Are we talking about a fighter who's dual-wielding tower shields, or a fighter who dual-wields while using a tower shield?

Demons_eye
2009-12-21, 02:24 PM
(Took me a while to find but) I once made a guy like this:

http://www.auntiemomo.com/samuraijack/ep25/31.jpg

Person Man's melee guide has some thing on two shield fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123630)

Johel
2009-12-21, 02:36 PM
Just to say, but :

Shield, Tower

This massive wooden shield is nearly as tall as you are. In most situations, it provides the indicated shield bonus to your AC. However, you can instead use it as total cover, though you must give up your attacks to do so. The shield does not, however, provide cover against targeted spells; a spellcaster can cast a spell on you by targeting the shield you are holding. You cannot bash with a tower shield, nor can you use your shield hand for anything else.

When employing a tower shield in combat, you take a -2 penalty on attack rolls because of the shield’s encumbrance.

If you're going to use TWO tower shields, your fighter won't have any attack at all. He'll be a sitting duck.

What you can do is

have Dex 12
have Int 13
have Str as high as possible
get a Tower shield
get a Full-plate armor
get a Scimitar
get Combat Expertise feat
get Improved Critical feat

You can now up your AC up to +14 in melee, without any magic.
Of course, with -7 to your attack bonus, you'll pretty much be useless.
But at least, when you'll touch the target, you'll do a lot of damage.

erikun
2009-12-21, 04:38 PM
Doesn't a tower shield grant cover instead of an armor bonus?
A tower shield can grant you total cover, if you choose, but you can't fight that way - it's effectively creating a wall between you and the target. Well, I suppose some very odd clear tower shield + brilliant energy longbow foolery...

As for the original request, a TWF rogue with an animated tower shield is about as close as I can get. As others have said, you can't shield bash with a tower shield, so holding two towers shields just turns you into a walking 5' square wall.

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-21, 05:16 PM
Does homebrew count? I made a PrC designed to help with dual-wielding shields. It's still Work in Progress (speaking of, I need to update it sometime...) but it might help, if your DM allows it.