PDA

View Full Version : complicated gish, need advice

pilvento
2009-12-21, 12:53 PM
hi there,

first of all thanks for helping me optimizing that freaking raptorian last week, im gona post the full build later for you.

now i got ya a new question.
i got a friend who is new to the game and totally fall in love of two well known prc:

arcane archer (dungeon master)
diciple of the bow (complete warrior)

is there a posible balance for combining them both?
have anyone already thought of that?

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-21, 12:56 PM
hi there,

first of all thanks for helping me optimizing that freaking raptorian last week, im gona post the full build later for you.

now i got ya a new question.
i got a friend who is new to the game and totally fall in love of two well known prc:

arcane archer (dungeon master)
diciple of the bow (complete warrior)

Order of the Bow Initiate is a trap: the bonus damage tacks a standard action attack to use, which means now multishooting or anything else.

Arcane Archer, however, as much as it blows with its lack of casting, can usually be used as a 2-level dip without sacrificing ninth level spells. Also means doing silly things like antimagic arrows.

Rough build idea for arcane archer:
Grey or Sun Elf, take your pick, using either Militia or Otherwordly to qualify for Eldritch Knight
Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 4/Arcane Archer 2/Abjurant Champion 5/EK +6

Uses Imbue Arrow to stab people with antimagic field, then dances around them using Orbs of X to kill them. May also use Imbue Arrow to give personal buffs to the rest of the party, if they don't mind a small sting, first.

Pluto
2009-12-21, 02:45 PM
Not really. All the defining abilities of both classes are Standard actions. That means they can't be combined with each other or with archery in general (where the best approach is usually to throw a whole bunch of arrows at the other guy).

If you're going Arcane Archer (I get the impression that this is your main goal with the build, given the word "gish" in the thread title), you can just take the Arrow Mind spell from Spell Compendium (first printed in Complete Adventurer?). It's a level 1 Wizard spell that obseletes what seems to be the most-desired feature of the Order of the Bow class (shooting in melee).

Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster (and their big brothers Abjurant Champion and Unseen Seer from Complete Mage) are much better for Arcane Archers than levels 3-10 in the Arcane Archer class. AA offers little beside Imbue Arrow (the Greater Magic Weapon spell replicates the Arrow Enhancement ability, the other abilities are 1/day and are prodice very weak effects).

If your friend likes the Arcane Archer and Order of the Bow classes' fluff, he might do better to use the Pathfinder Arcane Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/arcane-archer) or the 3.0 Order of the Bow Initiate (I think it's printed in Sword and Fist). They're much better implementations of the classes than their 3.5 counterparts.

Keld Denar
2009-12-21, 02:50 PM
There are a few good Bard/Sublime Chord Arcane Archer builds that are pretty nice. Most of them are rather late blooming though, but they do retain 9th level casting. The better of the 2 requires a little bit of funny rules interpretation on the Harmonious Knight Paladin sub levels from the Champions of Valor web enhancement, but is pretty strong and straightforward all the way through.

Interested?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-21, 04:09 PM
Well as far as arcane archer types go...

I would sugest to your friend that eaither he goes Duskblade or wizard/scout(or rogue)/unseen sear or just strait wizard with caster prc's.

The only feats he needs are smiting spell and easy metamagic... congrats you got the basic channeling ability... the rest can be what ever...

I perticularly fond of wizard 4/scout1/ unseen seer10/arcane trickster5.
though you can add or subtract to that as you see fit... more bab is good.

pilvento
2009-12-21, 07:56 PM
thanks for the advices, ill send him all this info asap