PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Creation thread

Zom B
2009-12-21, 01:01 PM
A spot for people to put magic items they have created, so that others can point out if the gold piece calculation of the item is incorrect or if the item needs adjusting.

So, first up is me, in my first attempt to create a magic item:

Silver Tongue

This oblong silver ring is made to slip around the tongue, where it stays until the wearer wishes to remove it. While in the mouth, it feels almost as if it is not there at all and indeed does not hinder its wearer in any way. A silver tongue grants its wearer a +2 competence bonus on Bluff checks and any Perform checks related to the voice, such as Poetry, Singing, or Chant. In addition, the user can activate the silver tongue to grant themselves Glibness, as the spell, once per day.

Moderate transmutation; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, glibness; Price 15,000 gp

Here is the breakdown of cost:

Perform bonuses +1200gp (Although there are a wide variety of perform subskills, I guessed that the average character would not really take more than three individual perform subskills. If this should just be +400 for the Perform skill overall, let me know)
Bluff bonus +400gp
Glibness 1/day: +8400gp ((3 (spell level) x 7 (caster level) x 2000gp (use-activated or continuous use item)) / 5 (5/x, x=charges per day)) x 1.5 (Uncustomary space limitation)

dsmiles
2009-12-21, 01:15 PM
I would post some items, but the majority of the items I create fall into the realms of minor or major artifacts that cannot be recreated by characters using conventional crafting rules.

DracoDei
2009-12-21, 02:51 PM
I can repost some stuff that only got responses from one person or whatever...

Would people like that?

Stegyre
2009-12-21, 05:00 PM
Silver Tongue
Perform bonuses +1200gp (Although there are a wide variety of perform subskills, I guessed that the average character would not really take more than three individual perform subskills. If this should just be +400 for the Perform skill overall, let me know)
Just the 400. While there may be multiple sub-categories of Perform, they all do essentially the same thing. A saavy player might even argue for a discount, since this doesn't improve all Performances.

Bluff bonus +400gp
Yes.

Glibness 1/day: +8400gp ((3 (spell level) x 7 (caster level) x 2000gp (use-activated or continuous use item)) / 5 (5/x, x=charges per day)) x 1.5 (Uncustomary space limitation)
No.
Use-activated or continuous is for items that break the action economy, as they don't require a separate action to make them work and/or they are essentially "always on" (or "on whenever you want them on"). Your items sounds like it's supposed to be a command word item:

Command word/thought/whatever (requires a standard action to activate) (1,800) * SL(3) * CL(7) * charges per day (1/5) = 7,560. Adjustment for the slot is problematic. I'd argue this should be increased 100%, rather than 50%, as "tongue" is not a recognized slot, and unless this item prevents the character from using an item in another recognized slot, it is essentially "slotless."

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-21, 05:27 PM
Two of my favorites that I've seen on these boards:

Withering Embrace
Market Price: 8,000gp. Create: 4,000 + 320 XP, CL 1. Requires: Craft Wonderous Item and chill touch.
Description: These gloves look like long black leather, and are studded with small bone-shaped metal braces along the fingers, leading into small claw-like tips along the fingers (these are only decorative, and deal no damage). The gloves feel cool to the touch, and always seem skin-tight when worn.
Effect: These gloves grant the continual benefit of a Chill Touch spell to the wearer. This grants the wearer a touch attack that deals 1d6 negative energy damage. Creatures so damaged must make a DC 11 fortitude save or suffer 1 point of strength damage. Against undead, these gloves deal no negative energy or strength damage, and instead force the undead to make a DC 11 will save or flee as if panicked for 1d4+1 rounds. Both gloves must be worn for their magic to work.
Creation Notes: Priced as continual use magic item, caster level 1st, with a duration measured in rounds (2000 * 1 * 1 * 4 gold pieces).

Heart Stealer
Market Price: 120,000gp. Create: 60,000gp + 4,800XP, CL 5th. Requires Craft Wondrous Item and vampiric touch.
Description: These blackened gloves bond to their wearer's flesh, extending tendrils deep into their hands and forearms when worn. Red veins seem to pulse and convulse across the surface of the gloves when worn. The gloves feel warm and slick to the touch.
Effect: These gloves grant the wearer the benefits of a continual vampiric touch spell. This grants the wearer a touch attack that deals 2d6 points of damage against any living creature. After each strike, the wearer gains temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt. These temporary hit points last for one hour. Temporary hit points gained from multiple touch attacks do not stack, using the highest value instead.
Creation Notes: Priced as a continual use item, 3rd level spell, 5th caster level, with a duration measured in rounds (2000 * 3 * 5 * 4 gold pieces).

Zom B
2009-12-21, 05:33 PM
I'd argue this should be increased 100%, rather than 50%, as "tongue" is not a recognized slot, and unless this item prevents the character from using an item in another recognized slot, it is essentially "slotless."

While it creates a whole new slot, it prevents you from using any other tongue slot items. While this is the only one I am aware of, that alone prevents you from wearing 10 of these things at a time and having 10 uses of Glibness per day (the other bonuses wouldn't stack). Not sure why you'd want to, but hey.

Stegyre
2009-12-23, 12:45 AM
While it creates a whole new slot, it prevents you from using any other tongue slot items. While this is the only one I am aware of, that alone prevents you from wearing 10 of these things at a time and having 10 uses of Glibness per day (the other bonuses wouldn't stack). Not sure why you'd want to, but hey.
That's not really a limitation, and as long as there is no adjustment period for the item, there is actually nothing to stop a character from wearing ten of them per day, just switching them out each time he has used the Glibness function. (Slotted or not, the skill enhancements would not stack: bonuses of the same type or the same source do not stack, and this is both.)

varto
2009-12-29, 12:21 PM
Hi every one!
My question is harder, because i would like to know what creation feats, XP and gold should cost my sorcerer to create a pair of bracers that can give the player the following spells: Dragon skin (draconomicon, lvl 3 wiz/sor spell), Dragon might (draconomicon, lvl 5 wiz/sor spell). All that 3 times a day.
If you know of a similar object that already exist or a cheaper way to get mora AC and buffs i´m all ears (well, in this case it should be "eyes" since i´m reading it)
Edited: In any case, you can always make 2 or 3 items that give you the same buffs.