PDA

View Full Version : How does a contingency disintegrate work?

Sploosh
2009-12-21, 02:28 PM
I was talking to a friend and we were viewing a few threads like the thread about racing to destroy a cube layered with spells and materials like oridium and prismatic sphere.

Anyway, we looked at contingency and saw this line:
The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person

I assume there is some commonly known way around it or some rule or statement that changes this. Could anyone enlighten me?

Douglas
2009-12-21, 02:58 PM
Contingency does not state that the spell must only affect you, so you could, for example, use Chain Lightning and have it arc to nearby enemies or cast a Fireball centered on yourself.

So far as I know, and my rules knowledge of D&D 3.5e is pretty extensive, that is the only way around it, though, and that doesn't help with Disintegrate.

arguskos
2009-12-21, 03:07 PM
I also just checked Craft Contingent Spell, reasoning that it might have a more lax description, and nope, it specifies the spell affects your person or is centered on yourself. Now, if you have a Spellblade keyed to disintegrate and a contingent disintegrate, we're in business. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Temotei
2009-12-21, 05:28 PM
Poof! You're dust. New ability scores:
Str: 0
Dex: 1 (-5)
Con: As before
Int: As before
Wis: As before
Cha: As before - 6

Speed: 5 ft.

New conditions:
Blind
Deaf
Mute

Skills: Penalties from blindness, deafness, and being silent. Anything involving touching, tasting, or smelling take penalties as well:
Touch: -4
Taste: -10
Smell: -20

On the bright side (maybe), your size is changed to however much dust your body creates.

Sploosh
2009-12-21, 05:52 PM
So it IS impossible?

I read all these "I contingency 5 nukes to "Shoot where my middle finger points when I extend my middle finger with all others clenched."

I always assumed there was a way to do it. :smallfrown:

Signmaker
2009-12-21, 05:56 PM
Technically, there IS a way, albeit extremely specific. Gem Magic from Magic of Faerun allows for a proximity trigger. However, allowed triggers for proximity are Creature Type, Race, and Alignment, or Object Type.

You...don't want that to trigger on something else by accident.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-21, 05:56 PM
So it IS impossible?

I read all these "I contingency 5 nukes to "Shoot where my middle finger points when I extend my middle finger with all others clenched."

I always assumed there was a way to do it. :smallfrown:

No, it isn't impossible. It just disintegrates you.

Great for secret agents!

arguskos
2009-12-21, 05:58 PM
Technically, there IS a way, albeit extremely specific. Gem Magic from Magic of Faerun allows for a proximity trigger. However, allowed triggers for proximity are Creature Type, Race, and Alignment, or Object Type.

You...don't want that to trigger on something else by accident.
That's not technically a contingency though, but it IS a good trick. Didn't catch that line there. :smallwink:

Signmaker
2009-12-21, 06:01 PM
That's not technically a contingency though, but it IS a good trick. Didn't catch that line there. :smallwink:

It's...more or less close enough. Typically you use the touch trigger for self-buffs, rather than proximity triggers for offense.

Temet Nosce
2009-12-21, 06:02 PM
So it IS impossible?

Craft Contingent Spell, Greater Arcane fusion, Disintegrate + whatever.