PDA

View Full Version : [4e] The Cabinet of Faces - The Left Hand

Aron Times
2009-12-21, 02:50 PM
One by one, the members of the Left Hand make their way to the Brelish capital of Wroat to rendezvous with the rest of the group.

((Please describe how you arrive at the Tangle Inn.))

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-21, 05:45 PM
Cassidy wakes up in her room at the Firegod's Fancy in Sharn. She grins to herself - finally, a mission. She is in the form of the human seamstress persona she has been using while staying in Sharn. She sleeps the rest of the night mundanely and then, in the morning, packs her things and takes the form of a cleaning boy she had seen the previous day. She leaves the inn confident of her disguise and then assumes the form of a small-time merchant looking to buy up product in Wroat. She joins a caravan, and is in the Brelish capitol swiftly. Assuming the guise of the barbarian woman, she finds the Tangle Inn.

A tall woman with long, raven coloured hair strolls into the Tangle Inn, a massive flail slung across her back. She takes a seat at the bar and orders a strong mead. She appears to be waiting for someone.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-21, 10:03 PM
Io awakes in the academy, and quickly grabs his pack and says farewell to his master, Cyan.

I'm sorry Master, but my destiny awaits me. I have no choice. Io says, and a sad Cyan presents Io with a small package, with clear instructions on when to open it.

A Brelish Messenger is seen on a fast horse riding from Cragwar to Market.

An ugly female dwarf rides the lightning rail south to Wroat, though spends much of it napping.

A male elf with long white hair wearing a brown robe enters the Tangle inn. Aloofly he sits down at the bar and orders a red wine.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-21, 10:13 PM
Seeing Io's persona enter, Cassidy moves a few seats down the bar to sit next to him.

Good evening, sir. rumbles the powerfully built woman. I am Maela Swiftmace, world-class barbarian. May I have the pleasure of your name? To make sure Io knows it is Cass, she flashes the Sleepweaver just so he can see.

OOC: Do I need to make a bluff or stealth check to make sure no one else notices the Sleepweaver, or is the Inn busy enough that there is no chance someone else will see the small gesture?
Also, pardon the Fire Emblem reference.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-21, 10:59 PM
The elf swirls his wine glass nonchalantly. I am called Ianmorn Loreweaver.

Hashmir
2009-12-21, 11:03 PM
After waking with a start, Nit returned to a restful sleep. When morning came, he rifled through a variety of cloaks and insignias until he found the symbols he wanted -- the coins and scales of Kol Korran. He attached the cloak to his otherwise nondescript armor, then adopted the appearance of a handsome and clean-cut young man.

His new appearance was notably different from the way he had looked in the bar. His changeling form was tall and stout, without muscle or fat to speak of; Nit was one of the few who could honestly call themselves "big-boned." His new form was ... well, almost cute.

The fact was, Nit had unconsciously taken to adopting forms that were fairly small and lithe some time ago. With the proper disposition, finding lovers was as easy in one form as another, and it just felt more natural, insofar as a changeling feels at home in any body. Once he had taken up residence at the Temple of the Traveler, though, it was almost a necessity -- fitted plate armor does not resize well. This led to a rather amusing situation where his armor actually would not fit his birthform.

No matter, though. A trickier issue was that of inconspicuous travel -- full suits of plate mail were hardly common garb. To solve this, Nit had begun collecting cloaks and insignias that marked him as a paladin of any deity he chose. He was particularly fond of the more neutral deities, such as Onatar and Kol Korran, as they were generally unlikely to inspire random strangers to ask him for help (or flee in terror). Plus, it was simply in his nature to hide his appearance, as a changeling or follower of The Traveler. It was odd now to join the company of others who had seen his true self, all the more so because he had never before met another (known) changeling -- at least in person. This had some potential...

As Nit pondered the possibilities of changeling romance, he stepped outside and headed to the lightning rail. He shifted to his "usual" face to match his ID for the train ride, then shifted back before setting about finding the inn.

--------

After entering the inn, it took all of three seconds for Nit to identify his companions. Flashing them both a winning smile, he pulls up a stool and sits.

I'd check for identification, but 22 passive insight has to count for something, right?

Belobog
2009-12-22, 02:17 AM
It was the face Dolores awoke to that scared her the most. It was not the act that scared her - at least, not enough that she hadn't thought to dread it. She had changed in her sleep sometimes, during good dreams or bad dreams or any dream at all. No, it was the face - the face she had in no dreams, the face she came to fear. It greeted her in the mirror, stalked her around the room, like a hyena chasing prey.

It took her half an hour to calm down, for the face with the smile to come back. Yes. That was who she was now. Soon, she remembered her mission, and sooner still, a red headed, freckled human woman replaced Dolores. The woman walked downstairs, ordered a light lunch, and by early afternoon, was off to the docks.
~~~~~

Around late afternoon of the same day, a elven woman walks into the establishment known as the Tangle Inn. She is small, around 5'2", with bright blond hair, and wears a colorful outfit of blue, black, and gray under a plain set of leather armor. An earring in the shape of a serpent eating itself hangs from her left ear, and a familiar smile is set upon her face, pressing a spade-shaped birthmark to the top of her cheek. Approaching the bar, she orders a cranberry juice, and takes a seat beside that of the heavily armored, 'cute' man.

Aron Times
2009-12-22, 10:52 AM
The innkeeper is a young halfling man with fiery red hair and a X-shaped scar on his left cheek. He looks at the group that just arrived, wondering if they are the ones he was waiting for. No, they probably aren't. Looks like he will have to wait much longer for the right group to arrive.

CrazySopher
2009-12-22, 11:02 AM
A different man, clad in heavy boots, a tricorn hat, and a long, leather overcoat, took his seat next to the "elf". His face, thought a little swarthy, and certainly scruffy, is handsome and well kept, and his long, black ponytail is tied back with an old bandanna. His fingerless gloves and white shirt are the same that Pax wore back at the Cafe', and his drink is a lemonade. A cutlass hangs by his side, and daggers fill his belt.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-22, 12:26 PM
Seeing all four of her companions arrived, Maela Swiftmace turns to the comparatively tiny barman. We are looking for Berem of the Emerald, barman. My companions and I were told that you could... what is the word... she mumbles, her terrible grasp of her native Common togue evident. ... direct us? she says, unsure of her choice of words, and looks to her companions for confirmation that her words are correct.

Aron Times
2009-12-22, 02:26 PM
The innkeeper looks up at you and hands you a key. "This will open one of the private rooms in the basement. I will be there shortly to serve food and drink."

The food is good, worthy of the Ghallanda Seal of Approval, and the drink rivals that found in the Cafe. The innkeeper waits for you to finish before introducing himself.

"I am Berem. I presume the Bartender sent you. Your horses will be ready tomorrow. I'm not going to ask you what your business is here in Wroat, but I would like you to tell the Bartender that I have learned my lesson, and that I don't want to be stuck like this forever."

Belobog
2009-12-22, 06:12 PM
"We kin do tha' fir ya," The elf speaks up, wiping her mouth with a napkin. Ye've done us'a service, le'st we kin is'a service 'n turn." She flashes a toothy smile, to try and put the proprietor at ease.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-22, 06:19 PM
Indeed. We can convey your message, Sir Berem. affirms Maela. I will convey the message myself, barbarian's honour she proclaims, smacking her upper-left chest with a closed right fist.

Hashmir
2009-12-22, 06:36 PM
"Yes, on my honor as a paladin of..."

Nit squinted at the emblem currently affixed to the front of his armor.

"...Kol Korran, we shall let him know."

With the meal finished, he made to rise and retreat to their lodgings for the night.

No reason to wait for five unique confirmations of message-taking, right? :smallsmile:

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-22, 06:46 PM
Io lowers his eyes at Berem.

What did you do to earn such an unimpressive form?

Aron Times
2009-12-22, 07:11 PM
Berem laughs. "Unimpressive form? This is my true form, friend. Just remember not to sign a Geas if you don't intend to fulfill the obligations. But that is a story for another time."

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-22, 07:32 PM
Maela stands up and retreats to their lodgings, eager to get a good night's sleep.

OOC: Do we need to specify lodging arrangements? Because, while she likes them enough as people, I doubt Cass would want to spend the night in the same room as Pax or Nit :smalltongue:.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-22, 07:37 PM
Io laughs at the Innkeeper.

Duly noted good sir.

Then he retires to his room.

CrazySopher
2009-12-22, 10:07 PM
Pax grins. "No worries, sir. Everything'll be taken care of in due time." With a last gulp of lemonade, Pax climbs upstairs and retires to his room... but not before clapping his companions on the shoulders, leaning in with a whisper.

"Alright, mates, now let's be careful, hmm? Too many times, I've been jumped in an unfamiliar inn by people who don't know what you're capable of... or, worse, people who do. The way I figure, if someone else came first, and they got offed in their sleep here, then we'd have heard about it beforehand, but that doesn't mean we should be lazy, yes? I... really enjoy my privacy, but we should try to bunk up when we can afford it. I say, two to a room. And no funny business, of course." The scruff along his face and neck almost made the following grin a little more comical than usual, but the hoarse chuckle that accompanied it almost made it seem... off-putting.

Aron Times
2009-12-22, 11:04 PM
A good night's sleep refreshes your mind and body after all that traveling. It is an odd, dreamless sleep, seemingly instantaneous; you remember going to bed at night, and a moment later, you wake up and the sun is up.

The ruins of Glyphstone Keep lies on the eastern bank of the Dagger River to the northwest of Wroat. Glyphstone Keep once housed Breland's finest warmages, ready to teleport to the front lines wherever they were needed. A magical accident (though some whisper sabotage) in the middle of the Last War leveled Glyphstone Keep. Fortunately, the Keep was evacuated swiftly enough to prevent any casualties. With its location not having any strategic value, Glyphstone Keep was abandoned and the warmages were scattered all over Breland to prevent another catastrophe from wiping out the country's magical arsenal.

Glyphstone Keep is very old, dating back to before the Dhakaani Empire. The Dhakaani found it abandoned and used it for themselves, and the people of Galifar did the same. The name comes from the mysterious dragonmark-like rock formations surrounding the Keep, which marks its importance among scholars who study the Draconic Prophecy.

As you approach the ruins, the wind slowly dies down and the sounds of nature slowly cease. By the time you reach what remains of the gate, there is no wind at all and no animal calls to be heard. There is also no sign of the missing adventurers whose identities you have taken, no tracks in the dirt or anything to indicate that anyone had been here in some time.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-22, 11:11 PM
As they approach the Glyphstone Keep, Maela's features soften, her muscles slacken and her hair shows a greenish shimmer. A dark intelligence that was absent before sparks in her eyes, and the greatmace on her back unravels into a long length of spiked chain.

Cassidy grins. Finally, some real fun. So, we gunna open this gate or what? she says cheerily in tones the others recognize from the Rainbow Falls Cafe. She still superficially looks somewhat like Maela, but she also definitely looks like Cassidy.

CrazySopher
2009-12-22, 11:29 PM
Pax sighed, the corner of his mouth pulled into something resembling worry. While he was sure that he and his allies were competent enough for the job, this was his... first real try with his new powers, and he was completely out of his element. There weren't any people around. There weren't any crowds to blend into. And something told him that whatever was still up in that keep wouldn't care if he didn't look like himself. A dagger in the back is a dagger in the back, no matter who you are, and teeth probably didn't make much of a distinction either.

Then again, whatever was in there probably played with the same rules. The corner of his mouth tugged into a smile, and he fingered the hilt of his sword idly before strolling up to the gate. Well then! Looks like this place hasn't exactly been heavy with traffic now, has it? Makes you wonder where this supposed other team went. Hell, the gate might even be locked, for all I can tell."

Pax bent over the gate to see if there was any sort of lock on it, and if he'd need to open it. As he turned back to see his fellows, the old grin was on his face, and his facial hair had grown away. Already, his hair was lighter, his body was slightly thinner, slightly paler. He chuckled, and tossed a glance at Cass. "I hope you don't mind the imitation, 'Maela'. Never thought of mixing them like that before while on duty, y'know? And would you guys mind keeping an eye out for me while we're in there? This whole dungeon crawling deal usually isn't my bag; I'm a little new at this."

If the gate needs a Thievery check to open, Pax rolls a [roll0]. If not, then hey, no roll needed.

Hashmir
2009-12-22, 11:44 PM
Nit grinned, his teeth positively gleaming in the bright sun.

"Just keep me between you and any nasties we might find, and you should be ok."

He moved to the front of the group, drawing his sword and shield.

"You know, it's not often I go looking for trouble. It usually finds me. I think I like it."

With that, he went through the gate.

I'm assuming that the 24 is good enough to beat any lock the gate has; otherwise we'd just Aid Another/Strength check it to death anyway. I'm also assuming there are no objections to the paladin leading the way.

By the way, is there a place where we have everyone's character sheets together? I'd really like to know the specifics of everyone's builds if we get into combat. Mine is in my sig for convenience.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-22, 11:52 PM
No objections at all, gentlemen, on either count. laughs Cassidy, getting off her horse and unraveling her chain, setting it into its deadly rhythm. If things got ugly... and she was pretty sure they would... she wanted to be prepared. Her mind focused to a sharp point of clarity, she was ready to meet whatever came. That intense focus and readiness extend outwards from her, and her companions felt their minds and senses sharpen as Cassidy's enveloping mantle of clarity reached out to them, unmuddling their thoughts.

OOC: Everyone gets +2 Insight and Perception while within 5 squares of Cassidy. So, unless you're scouting ahead, you're getting that bonus. Keep that in mind when we get jumped by zombies or something. Might just save us from a nasty surprise round.

Also, I think we should all post links to our sheets in the OOC thread, and ask JS to compile them in the OP of the OOC thread. Does that make sense?

CrazySopher
2009-12-23, 12:24 AM
The good nature of his companions was getting to him, and in the most delightful way. Pax couldn't help but display a full grin, even chuckling as he swung the gate open, following close behind the Paladin. "Hey, if you mates just point at something you need dead, I'm pretty sure I can knock it out as fast as you need me to. I just need to get used to the whole 'I can't just run into the market square and shift' thing, y'know? I figured we'd be working in a more... populated area, where more of my talents other than a strong throwing arm and talented fingers might come in handy."

Good idea there, Shadow. Pax is in my signature, so quick and easy access is right down there if we need it until then.

Belobog
2009-12-23, 02:45 AM
Dolores, still in the guise she had worn as they left the inn, had just finished tying her horse to a nearby piece of crumbling masonry before she catches up to the rest of the group. "Aaah, ye'll be fine," she says, joining in on the conversation. "A man like ye'self mus'ta ma'na talents...like "peggin' a'swall'a a'thirty paces" o' "keepin' pace o' tha mob fo'h t'ree days". 'Sides, tha place blee's a'kinda...potentia'. Don't ye'think?"

She seems fully 'in character'.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-23, 09:57 AM
Io stands calm and nods to Nit.

Lead the way friend, and try to corner any opposition so my power becomes unescapable.

OOC: driving home for xmas today, so Io will be light on conversation until tonight.

CrazySopher
2009-12-23, 10:23 AM
Pax cocked an eye at the "dwarf" and raised a finger, letting his jaw drop just a little before picking himself up. "Erm... I do want to keep up appearances, but... would you mind paring down the accent just a tad? I'm not used to Dwarven company."

Belobog
2009-12-23, 01:57 PM
The elf gives a confused smile to Pax in return. "Wherever would the fun in that be?" The smile drops in surprise, her gaze drifting off while her brow furrows. "Seems I've lost...Clever." She turns a sharp-eyed grin to the rogue. "But I'm on to you, now." With that, the still-elven Dolores follows after Nit, her smile now its normal, placid self.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-23, 02:12 PM
Cassidy laughs. Well, what are we waiting for? We've got a keep to explore and group of less than competent adventurers to save! Nit, if you'd be so kind as to open the front door?

CrazySopher
2009-12-23, 03:35 PM
Pax mirrors the grin, leisurely flipping a dagger in his hand. "A score? So we're keeping points now? I must be pretty damn good at whatever it is if I'm winning a contest I don't even know about. But ahh, yes, the front door. It isn't locked now, is it? I could jimmy it open if need be."

Hashmir
2009-12-23, 07:37 PM
After a deep bow to Cassidy, made rather awkward by the full plate and shield he wore, Nit turns around and opens the door -- hard.

I'll edit if it's locked, but why waste the time? :smallwink:

Aron Times
2009-12-24, 07:10 AM
The rusted gate falls apart when you try to open it. As soon as you step inside, you feel an dreadul, enervating chill running down your spine. Those of you who have been to the Mournland know this feeling. It doesn't feel as bad as the Mournland, though.

Those of you trained in Arcana feels the strong ambient magic in this place. The magical presence grows stronger until you feel it directly above you. Seven glowing orbs slowly descend upon you...

((Roll for Arcana to determine what they are and Initiative to determine which order you get to act. Also, post the action that you plan on taking.))

CrazySopher
2009-12-24, 09:54 AM
Pax gazed up at the orbs and felt a cold shivver run down his spine. "And those things up there are... what now, exactly?"

[spoiler] [roll0]

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-24, 10:13 AM
This doesn't look good...

Initiative:
[roll0]

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-24, 11:33 AM
Oh, guests! I was starting to get bored! laughs Cassidy, setting her chains into their deadly dance. Io, Dolores... either of you know what these are?

Initiative: [roll0]

EDIT: In terms of formation, might I recommend Nit in front, max slightly behind, Dolores and Cass in the middle and Io in the back?

Hashmir
2009-12-24, 01:09 PM
Nit raises his sword and shield, glancing at his companions for any information on what is going on.

[roll0]

I don't really have an action until I know something about the situation, so...

[roll1] ... to see if the orbs seem hostile? :smallconfused: Couldn't hurt...

Belobog
2009-12-24, 01:28 PM
Dolores's good mood drains from her face, leaving a wide-eyed stare in its absence. Her heart quickens in her chest, and her breath races in and out at a frantic pace. The grips on her weapons tighten. She knows this cold.

Init: [roll0]
Kno (arcana): [roll1]
Kno arcana info will be edited in, pending result.

Dolores will start the round tossing a Resistive Mixture to Nit, then...I dunno, she'll zap one of them with Static Shock? Hard to tell, with out knowing where they are in relation to her.

Aron Times
2009-12-24, 02:53 PM
The floating orbs are very weak versions of the living spells that ravage the Mournland. They seem to be attracted to the group's magical ability, but are not immediately hostile, unlike living spells found in the Mournland. They begin orbiting around individual party members.

Those trained in Arcana feel that they can dispel the living spells. The seven living spells are linked to each other, and dispelling one with weaken the whole group. However, such use of magic around them would draw them like a moth to a flame. Attempting to dispel the living spells requires three successes on Arcana, each attempt a standard action. However, doing so will cause them to attack you. There is no penalty for failure other than a wasted standard action.

The seven living spells can be destroyed as normal, much like their more powerful brethren in the Mournland.

What do you do?

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-24, 03:45 PM
Dolores, do you think you can get rid of these things? asks Cassidy. If you have any doubts, I am happy to simply have them meet both ends of my chain.

Belobog
2009-12-24, 04:23 PM
Dolores snaps out of her reverie, enough to force a smile into her features. "I can...they're living spells, I can manipulate the energy, force them to split apart. It will take time to finish, and...they won't react well." The smile falters again, if only for a second. "...Be ready to defend yourselves."

When the group is ready, Dolores will start the attempts. First result below.

Kno(arcana): [roll0]

One question: are three attempts for the lot of them, or just one of the group?

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-24, 04:29 PM
Unfortunatly my magic is natural, not from booksmarts. Dolores seems to be the expert here.

Aron Times
2009-12-24, 04:56 PM
Anyone trained in Arcana, regardless of power source, can try to unravel them, and multiple characters can work together to dispel one of them. Divine characters can use Religion in place of Arcana to channel divine magic, while primal characters can substitute nature to channel primal magic.

The living spells are insubstantial. One success removes this trait, and each succeeding success deals half its max HP in damage to it.

You effectively get a surprise round to dispel some before they go off. Dolores has spent her surprise round trying to dispel one of them, resulting in one success against one of them.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-24, 05:35 PM
Ah, I can sense their being now, I shall assist Dolores.

arcana:
[roll0]

CrazySopher
2009-12-24, 09:11 PM
Pax bites his lip tentatively, already drawing the sword as he reaches for a dagger with his other hand. "They're living spells, you say? But how does that work?" Already, the grip tightens on his weapons. He hadn't quite expected something like this.

Aron Times
2009-12-25, 11:06 AM
In a moment of clarity, Nit realizes that these living spells wouldn't harm them unless they acted directly on them. Furthermore, they probably cannot leave this place or influence anything outside it, considering no living spells have ever been encountered outside the Mournland (and this place feels like a less deadly version of it).

Since Insight checks are free actions (and it's Christmas and I'm feeling nice), Nit can stop Dolores before she sets them off.

Hashmir
2009-12-25, 02:22 PM
As Dolores begins to weave her magic, Nit has a sudden realization.

"Wait! They don't want to harm us!"

He glances uncertainly at his companions and the lights.

"At least, not unprovoked. We don't need to kill them. Why waste the life?"

Aron Times
2009-12-25, 02:46 PM
The living spells orbit around you, attracted to your magical abilities but not hostile.

Belobog
2009-12-25, 04:30 PM
As Dolores begins to weave her magic, Nit has a sudden realization.

"Wait! They don't want to harm us!"

He glances uncertainly at his companions and the lights.

"At least, not unprovoked. We don't need to kill them. Why waste the life?"

Dolores halts, looking to Nit and the spells and back again. She finally settles a glare on one of the lights, arcane energy sparking in her hands...before she lets go, the energy falling harmlessly to the floor. "Alright. If you're...sure." Her gaze eventually drops away, and the smile returns, if faded. "We should move on, then. We have company that's waiting on us.

Hashmir
2009-12-25, 04:37 PM
Nit nods his agreement and begins to move slowly forward. As he moves, he looks warily at the lights on either side of him.

"We should be fine. I think. Just don't hit them with anything if you can avoid it."

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-25, 04:41 PM
Unfortunate. I was so looking forward to finally cracking some skulls... err... nuclei? moans Cassidy dramatically. Her chain stops its deadly spinning, but she does not wrap it around her waist, keeping it at the ready. But I sense the clarity of your conviction, Nit, and I trust your judgment. Shall we proceed?

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-25, 05:13 PM
Io eyes them suspiciously So long as they can't follow us too long

Aron Times
2009-12-25, 05:41 PM
The living spells continue orbiting around you while you explore the ruins of Glyphstone Keep. After an hour of exploration, you find the remains of the adventurers you are currently impersonating. There are four dead bodies which form a line towards the only intact structure in the Keep, as if they were running towards it for cover. The woman Dolores is impersonating is nowhere to be seen.

The standing structure is in pristine condition, seemingly untouched by the ravages of time, and looking out of place amongst the spell-damaged ruins of Glyphstone Keep. As you approach it, you notice that the living spells do not follow. Once you cross a certain radius, they go back to their random wanderings in this miniature Mournland.

Hashmir
2009-12-25, 06:51 PM
Nit grimly surveys the bodies, a look of sadness on his face.

"That's...unfortunate."

He leans over the first body and inspects it.

Is the cause of death obvious (huge bloody wounds)?

If not, I'll try [roll0] to try and identify the cause of death. I don't think RAW outlines CoD checks as anything else.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-25, 07:53 PM
Ah, Miss Strongmace. Your death, while untimely, has provided me with a wonderful alias. The least I can do in return is determine your cause of death, says Cassidy out loud. She moves to inspect the body, to see if she can figure out how it was that Maela perished in this place.

Checks that may be relevant:
Heal Check: [roll0]
Insight Check: [roll1]
Perception Check: [roll2]

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-25, 08:51 PM
Io looks at the corpses, wondering if any magical force destroyed them.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-25, 08:55 PM
Arcana: [roll0]

Aron Times
2009-12-26, 11:35 AM
Your examination reveals that they were definitely killed by the living spells. They probably attacked the living spells on sight, setting them off. Good thing you didn't do the same.

The double doors in front of the building are unlocked. Approaching it, you notice that the whole building is enclosed by a large, broken Magic Circle. There is no magical aura left, but you can see the half-erased runes that encircle the structure.

The doors lead to a reception area, with a desk labeled, "Citadel Research Group." The interior of the building looks pristine except for a thin layer of dust on the surfaces, giving the look that the place had not been used for a week. The first floor contains offices filled with abandoned paperwork dating back to fifty years ago, before the accident that destroy this place. Whatever magic preserved this structure also preserved the documents, as they show no signs of the ravages of time. Going through the paperwork, you find out that the Citadel Research Group was the premier weapons research center in Breland, and that the last weapon they were testing involved "Deathgates", basically weaponized portals. The example stated in the documents involved opening a portal to a hazardous region of the Elemental Chaos to destroy enemy encampments.

The second floor contains the arcane laboratories and the storage vaults. Here you find more information about Project Deathgate. The researchers were concerned about how difficult it was to control the Deathgates, fearing that losing control of even a small one would prove disastrous. You also find something that the researchers don't need anymore:

A pair of magic daggers weapons which are required to control the Deathgates, a Pact Blade Dagger +1 and...
A Sunblade Dagger Longsword +1.
About 2500 gold worth of alchemical reagents (useful for Alchemy or Arcana rituals).

There is one large laboratory, labeled the "Dhakaani Antiquities Department", enclosed by a Magic Circle. This Magic Circle is intact, but you can pass through it. The inside of the Circle shows signs of heavy spell damage, and scattered throughout are the eerily preserved remains of Brelish soldiers and warmages as well as some strange creatures that you've never seen before. Aside from the Magic Circle, those trained in Arcana can sense two other powerful auras within.

Skill Checks

An Arcana check can reveal information about both Magic Circles (the large, broken exterior one and the one on the second floor).
Heal can determine how the corpses were killed.
An Arcana or Dungeoneering check can identify the strange creatures (need a success on both of them).
An Arcana or History check can identify one of the auras.
An Arcana or Religion check can identify another one.
Don't bother with Perception checks; I assumed you took 20 on the whole area.

Hashmir
2009-12-26, 01:18 PM
Nit was uncomfortable. He was no stranger to violence, but always with a clear purpose, and never on this scale. Gang wars in the cities could get nasty, but this...what in the Nine Hells happened here?

He set about examining the bodies.

[roll0]

CrazySopher
2009-12-26, 02:57 PM
Pax sighed, wincing at the corpses. "I guess it's a good thing we didn't try to do anything against the spells, huh..." His voice echoed somewhat inside the laboratory, and he fingered a dagger awkwardly before his eyes set upon the daggers. His lips curved into a pleased grin, and his eyes practically danced as he carefully picked up the Pact Dagger with his thumb and forefinger, by the tip of the blade. "Oooohhh... this is a rather interesting little toy. Pact Dagger, by my mark. I hope nobody minds if I keep this-... ac-tually, speaking of which, has anyone checked the bodies yet? Y'know, for anything useful? Someone else look them over with me, I miss the little things sometimes."

Pax left the room, smiling. The bodies were unfortunate, yes, but this was an opportunity. Waste not, want not, right? Besides, they should at least be checked over for anything pertaining to the mission.

Pax checks over the bodies for weapons, armor, useful items, and anything important or strange. In case a Perception check is required: [roll0] His perception score is 0, so no modifiers.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-26, 03:11 PM
Oh, well isn't this just peachy? Look around everyone, but stay close. I doubt that this battle came to a perfect tie - one side of this conflict has got to still have someone or something lurking around.
With that, Cassidy goes about examining the bodies, looking not only for cause of death but for anything that may aid she and her companions in their quest.

Good find, Pax, she laughs as her eccentric companion picks up the Pact Dagger. I reckon none of us would be able to use that, so enjoy it, I suppose.

She uses one hand to turn and examine, but keeps her chain bundled up in one hand, ready to use.

Checks:
Heal to determine cause(s) of death(s): [roll0]
Insight to determine how the conflict transpired: [roll1]

OOC @ Joseph Silver:
A quick search in the Compendium tells me that a Dagger cannot be a Sunblade, as it is a heavy blades only enchantment. Was just wondering if you were aware of this?

Belobog
2009-12-26, 03:45 PM
Dolores keeps her eyes away from the bodies. She keeps focused on the building, on the sigils and the portals and the remains of the conflict held years ago. It keeps her mind off things.

Kno(arcana): [roll0]

Belobog
2009-12-26, 03:48 PM
That didn't work like I thought it would. Rolling again.
Kno(arcana): [roll0] (large magic circle)
Kno(arcana): [roll1] (small magic circle)
Kno(arcana): [roll2] (creature one)
Kno(arcana): [roll3] (creature two)
Kno(arcana): [roll4] (aura one)
Kno(arcana): [roll5] (aura two)

Aron Times
2009-12-26, 06:56 PM
The exterior Magic Circle was made to block all creatures. Such a Circle is harder to create than one made to block specific types of creatures, such as undead or elementals. The magical residue left over shows that this Magic Circle was staggeringly powerful when active. In game terms, creatures lower than level 21 cannot pass nor affect anything on the other side of the Circle.

The interior Magic Circle was made to block creatures from Xoriat, the Realm of Madness. Circles made to block specific types of creatures are easier to create, and this one blocks aberrations lower than 26th level. However, any non-aberrant creature of any level can breach the Circle as a standard action.

Within the interior Circle is a freestanding planar portal sealed with Arcane Lock. The seal is as powerful as the two Magic Circles, and keeps whatever is on the other side from getting in.

What apparently happened fifty years ago was that the Project Deathgate researchers accidentally created a permanent portal to Xoriat, the Realm of Madness. The soldiers who lie dead inside the interior Circle probably sacrificed themselves to buy enough time for the warmages to seal the portal, the laboratory, and finally the entire building itself. However, the damage has been done, and the entire area is now a minor manifest zone of Xoriat.

Amidst the broken furniture and laboratory equipment, you find a bejeweled scepter covered with calligraphy in a language you can't read. Considering that this is where they kept the Dhakaani relics, this is most likely the item you were supposed to bring back to Ambassador Guile.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-27, 11:54 AM
Io slowly picks up the scepter.

Could it be so easy? Or will the living spells have something to say about us returning with this? We best be cautious.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-27, 01:08 PM
Io, my friend, if there's one thing I have learned from working for the Cabinet its that it is never this easy says Cassidy, deadly serious in contrast to her typically bubbly nature. Stay alert, everyone. The mission dossier reported that there were no casualties in the Mourning of Glyphstone keep. It was wrong. I don't doubt that our intelligence on this place may be wrong in other ways too.

Aron Times
2009-12-27, 03:27 PM
The living spells do not attack you when you exit the building. It begins raining when you leave Glyphstone Keep, starting off as a light drizzle and then turning into a heavy downpour in less than an hour. You pull up your hoods and huddle in your cloaks to keep you dry. 1Fortunately, the old road that leads to the Keep is mostly intact; you do not have to deal with slow travel through mud and rain.

Everyone please make a Perception check and an Insight check. A Passive Perception or Insight of 17 is an automatic success.

CrazySopher
2009-12-27, 03:41 PM
"Well, wasn't that pleasant. But we still have our scepter, we've figured out what was going on - or, well, you guys have anyways, I don't know enough about portals to make any sense of it - and we're heading home. I'll admit I was hoping for a bit more of an adventure though... going on a glorified errand run isn't exactly my style." The young "human" fingered his new dagger as he walked, running a finger along its ornate crossguard before shivering and pulling his greatcoat tighter about him. "Though I admit, I'm still somewhat vexed we didn't run into any trouble. Jobs like these aren't supposed to be easy; otherwise, they'd go do it themselves. If our, erm, 'counterparts' were as intelligent and capable as we were, how come they figured it'd be a good idea to smack the spells around? It just doesn't leave a good taste in my mouth... oh, and who has the scepter thing? We need to keep track of it, right?"

[roll0] [roll1]

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-27, 04:03 PM
On your toes everyone. I still don't like the feeling of this mission. I get this strange sensation that we're not out of the woods yet, mutters Maela, her large human frame hunkered down under the downpour.

OOC: Everyone, remember that you get a +2 bonus to Insight and Perception because of my Mantle of Clarity.

Checks:
Insight: Auto-Success. Perception: [roll0]

CrazySopher
2009-12-27, 04:22 PM
Oh! Then the rolls are a 22 for Perception and a 17 for Insight! Sweet, looks like I hopefully made the checks!

Aron Times
2009-12-27, 05:14 PM
Perception: Despite the heavy rain, you notice that you are being followed. Your pursuers are very stealthy, but they are no match for your psionic-enhanced senses.

Insight: They are not aware that they have been noticed, and it should be a simple task to lure them into a position where you can ambush them.

Hashmir
2009-12-27, 05:26 PM
Assuming I need not bother rolling my Perception now.

With his sword shining brightly, Nit whispers to his companions -- or close enough, in the heavy rain.

"I don't know who that is, and they may not want to hurt us. Still, I'd rather confront them on our terms than on theirs. You guys should move ahead of me, and when we go around the next corner, I'll kill the light and we'll all stop. That way, we'll catch them by surprise and I'll still stand between them and the rest of you."

Nit began slowly dimming the light from his blade, so the pursuers would not be so suspicious when it cut out entirely.

I'm quite open to any other plans; this just seems like the easiest to do (only needs a corner) and to prevent from turning into unnecessary bloodshed. After all, who really cares if I take a surprise round hit? :smallbiggrin:

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-27, 06:13 PM
Io nods at Nit.

Sounds good, but perhaps Sir Pax will want to hide in such a way that they pass him before confronting you.

Io then walks briskly to the 'front' of the party.

Aron Times
2009-12-27, 07:23 PM
You successfully lure your pursuers into the open. They are a party of five goblinoid warriors, two goblins, two hobgoblins, and one bugbear. You may reposition yourselves freely before anything happens, and you get a surprise round on them. If you speak to them, you will lose your surprise round.

CrazySopher
2009-12-27, 08:16 PM
Pax barely glances back at the incoming party before nodding a quick assent to the suggestion, whispering in hushed tones. "I know what being shadowed feels like. Changing shape just to throw them off the scent won't work if they recognize our clothing. But maybe killing them is a little... harsh? I mean c'mon, they're obviously new to the whole 'Don't be seen' thing, right? We're messing with newbies here. If we're going to deal with them, lets at least toy with'em a little bit. Hide in the bushes and spook'em, y'know?" Pax's smile shifted into an expression of playful thoughtfulness and concentration, furrowing his brow and biting on a knuckle, before raising his eyebrows, eyes dancing with delight. "Oooohh.... or, we could change our faces and genders, and our clothes a little bit! Make them think that they're ambushing the wrong people! Give us an edge, maybe even make them back off, right? Then we can follow'em and see where they go, or grab one and interrogate him!"

The way I see it, we've all got good Bluff checks, and someone has to have Intimidate. Our entire party has the opportunity to change their face and body at will. I won't be in another party that can do all of that at once in a long time. I think an ambush is a good idea, but there's no reason to let them know we are who we are... or, well, pretending to be. :smallbiggrin: Also, are we assuming that we can hide on the side of the road and that they'll move down it, coming into range of our attack? Or are we positioning ourselves far enough down the street, attacking immediately, and what have you? Or we could even hide, let them pass, and shadow them if they keep going... though I'm of a mind to snag'em now while we can, honestly. Grab one, kill the others, or intimidate them into submission.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-27, 09:22 PM
Io furrows his brow.

While I appreciate your desire to avoid confrontation, they are likely after the scepter, not us. They likely know we left the keep, changing our appearences may not deter them, and talking to them would ruin the ambush, adding more risk to the mission. I say we should take them down quickly, and do nothing to indicate the Cabinet may be involved, like possibly giving evidence we can change forms.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-27, 10:19 PM
Were they treasure hunters, or other adventurers, I would agree with you, Pax. But these are goblins, more than likely bandits, and I suspect they may be after the scepter. Call me a racist, but I don't want to treat with goblins. I say we let Nit walk ahead as we fade into the bushes, and then when they move for him, we leap in from the sides.

OOC: My recommendations regarding tactical ambush placement are
Cassidy: G0
Io: N7
Nit: J7
Pax: N-1
Dolores: H6

That gives us all ample chance to run in and attack or lure them into Nit, depending on their counter-counter checks. It gives Io and Dolores room to blast, and Pax, Nit and Cass room to flank. I am pretty sure I can keep Pax and Cass alive, and Dolores can keep Nit alive, so this should be a breeze.

Hashmir
2009-12-27, 10:37 PM
"Agreed."

Sounds fine to me. You know, I think I'm going to like being the sole defender in a party with lots of healing.

Belobog
2009-12-28, 03:55 AM
Dolores nods to Cassidy, smiling serenely; she seems to have recovered, now that they had vacated the keep itself. "A fine plan. I would like to offer something first, though." Dolores pulls a container of some sort from a side pouch, a small glass vial brimming with an orange 'liquid' and attached to a tangle of gleaming metal wires: a construct mosquito. She turns to the paladin, her smile becoming expectant. "You will feel a little prick, Sir Nit, but afterward, pain will be a distant memory."

Dolores will use resistive formula on Nit before the group splits up, if she has the time. If not, she will use on the following turn, distance and time permitting.

CrazySopher
2009-12-28, 10:34 AM
Pax frowns, almost pouting. "Mmmph! Fineeee... we'll just kill them then. It's probably a better idea anyways... ruining all my fun. I still say we leave one alive and ask him whats up, though. We can kill him afterward, but the Cabinet might wanna know that someone else knows we took the scepter thingy. But thats your guys' call, I suppose, yeah? I'll head off into the bushes so we can catch'em unawares."

Pax smirked, bounding into the bushes and hunching down low, drawing his shiny new dagger in one hand, the other one in his other hand. Fingers squeezed the Pact Blade's grip tightly... when he remembered that this was his first real fight with his new powers. Suddenly nervous eyes ran along the blade, ending at its wickedly curved tip, before he began keeping his eyes on the approaching Goblins. He'd only have one shot at this before they knew where he was... hopefully the others could keep'em tangled up while he waited.

Taking Shadow's advice, and positioning myself at N1.

Aron Times
2009-12-28, 10:42 AM
Accidentally posted the map in the wrong thread...

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7583270&postcount=44

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-28, 04:02 PM
Well then, its settled. We're fighting, which is great by me! laughs Cassidy, carefully setting her chain into its lethal spin. One suggestion though - we don't know which one is the brains of this operation, so I vote we knock them all out, question them all, and then finish them off if we deem it necessary.
Cassidy sharpens her mind once more to a point of brilliant clarity, channeling the chaos of her tumbling thoughts into her chain. Time to split some skulls.

OOC: My actual suggestion for Pax was N "-1", because I thought that N0 and N1 were not legal places. If they are legal, then those are better spots.

Aron Times
2009-12-28, 05:26 PM
The three in front are melee combatants. The bugbear has a heavy flail, the goblin has an axe, and the hobgoblin has a sword. The two in front are a goblin javeliner and a hobgoblin mage.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-29, 12:59 AM
Io sees the goblin party reach the ambush position and smiles. Around him the soft wind stops, and strange odor arises in the air.

His eyes begin to glow, and he rhythmically moves his hands in a circular motion.

He shuts his eyes for a moment, and then opens them shouting Ventus!

Suddenly a swirling cloud engulfs the goblins.

Io uses Whirlwind, centered at J0. Attack is against fortitude. On hit target falls prone.

K1: [roll0]
J1: [roll1]
I1: [roll2]
K0: [roll3]
I0: [roll4]

Dmg: [roll5]

Also, Io's horse had the scepter, unless anyone objects.

CrazySopher
2009-12-30, 12:49 PM
Pax composes himself, keeping his eyes steady on the caster, pulling free a different dagger hanging from his hip... however, instead of gripping it by the handle, he holds it firmly inbetween his thumb, forefinger, and middle finger by the blade, frozen in mid-pitch... before flinging it at the caster slightly to his left with a sly grin, pointing at the bugbear just in front of him with an outstretched hand, and giving a quick laugh as a bit of glammer settled in his target's mind

Pax throws a regular dagger at the red goblinoid using Sly Flourish.[roll0] [roll1]+[roll2]

Pax also puts his Warlock's Curse on the nearest target, the Bugbear, and pulls out a separate dagger from his off-hand.

Shadow_Elf
2009-12-30, 01:58 PM
Cassidy, seeing Pax make his move, attacks the goblin javelineer standing just in front of her. KIAI she shouts, shoving her breath out of her body and her thoughts into the spines of her weapon. If the spines connect, they use the goblin's body as a conduit to leap to Pax with happy, healing thoughts.

Crunch:

Energizing Strike
Attack: [roll0]
Hit: Damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7597715&postcount=475) and Pax gains 4 Temporary Hit Points.
((Sorry, Tags broke and after initial post I could not go back and fix them))

Hashmir
2009-12-30, 06:23 PM
Upon closer inspection, the goblins appeared to be a hunting party of some sort. Seeing his companions begin the assault, Nit leapt into the fray, swinging his shining sword with such force of will that he was impossible to ignore.

Free: My Sunblade deals radiant damage until I stop it.
Move: Walk to J2
Standard:

Valorous Smite

[roll0]
[roll1]

On hit: All enemies are subject to my Divine Sanction until the end of my next turn. They take 7 radiant damage the first time each round they make an attack that does not include me as a target.

Minor: Divine Challenge J1

This overwrites the Divine Sanction on J1. J1 is marked and takes 7 radiant damage the first time he makes an attack that does not include me as a target. I am "engaging" him by ending my turn next to him, so the challenge succeeds.

Hashmir
2009-12-30, 06:44 PM
Free: My Sunblade deals radiant damage.
Standard: Charge (with Virtuous Strike as my basic attack)
Move to J2
[roll0]
[roll1]
On hit: I gain a +2 bonus to saving throws until the end of my next turn.

Belobog
2009-12-30, 11:45 PM
Dolores pouted once the fight began in earnest, more at her position than the fact it came to blows. She was too far away to use anything! Seeing her allies lay into their foes with gusto, an idea formulates, and she grins with its conception. Yes...We shouldn't let them get away.

-----

A neon green beam lashes out from a nearby shrub, and fails to hit anything but the ground. Seconds later, cracks run down the stone path, and the ground rumbles until it gives way to vents of acidic gas, each as tall as a man.

Dolores casts Caustic Rampart, which takes place at I-1, J-1, K-1, K0, L0. All creatures that start their turn on or adjacent to a square of effect take 1d6+5 acid damage, and the effect squares count as difficult terrain.

SpearchuckerJoe
2009-12-31, 01:06 AM
Round 1

As the surprised goblins screamed in panic, Io showed no mercy. He grimaced as he summoned powers he had not used in days. His eyes glowed blue with rage, as he shouted again. Ignis!

Burning rocks fell from the sky onto the doomed goblins.

Io then takes two steps back for safety.

Standard action
Io uses Blazing starfall, centered on J0. Attack against reflex.

J1: [roll1]
I1: [roll2]
K0: [roll3]
I0: [roll4]

Fire Radiant Dmg: [roll5]

Move action
Io moves to O9

CrazySopher
2010-01-09, 01:28 PM
Pax points the dagger out towards the bugbear and flings it again with a grin, practically chuckling as the gleaming thing returned to him. This was nice. This was very nice. Like a boomerang, but sharp and easier to throw. He could enjoy this. But first, he needed to move.

Pax uses Sky Flourish against the Bugbear. [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + Sneak Attack Damage: [roll2]

Pax moves two squares to the right and makes a stealth check to hide. [roll3] If I made any mistakes, let me know and I'll rectify immediately. Sorry about the wait.

Shadow_Elf
2010-01-09, 05:04 PM
As the startled goblins prepare to move, Cassidy strikes again. KIAI. This time, as the spines connect with her foe, the healing thoughts jump to Nit. After her attack, she moves into a more favourable position, ready to cut them off should they try to escape.

Crunch:
Empowering Strike on Goblin @ I0
Attack: [roll0]
Hit: [roll1] damage and Nit gains 4 Temporary HP.

Then, move to H(-1) (as opposed to H1). End turn.

Aron Times
2010-01-11, 06:00 PM
Each goblinoid takes [roll0] acid damage.

Aron Times
2010-01-11, 06:12 PM
A furious preemptive strike by the Left Hand leaves the would-be ambushers in a bad position. Their leader, the hobgoblin mage, screams something in Goblin which probably means, "No retreat, no surrender!"

1. Hobgoblin Mage

Move Action: Get up from prone.
Standard Action: Force Lure on Cassidy

Force Lure
Attack: [roll0] vs. Fortitude
Hit: [roll1] damage and the target is slid 3 squares.

Aron Times
2010-01-11, 06:13 PM
2. Bugbear Wardancer

Standard Action: Flail Assault on Nit and Cassidy

Flail Assault
Attack: [roll0], [roll1] vs. Fortitude
Hit: [roll2] damage and the target is pushed 2 squares and knocked prone.

Aron Times
2010-01-11, 06:25 PM
3. Goblin Javeliner

Move Action: Move away from the prone warriors.
Standard Action: Throw javelin at Cassidy.

Javelin Throw
Attack: [roll0] vs. AC
Hit: [roll1] damage.

4. Hobgoblin Swordsman
Standard Action: Attack Nit.

Longsword Thrust
Attack: [roll2] vs. AC
Hit: [roll3] damage and Nit is marked and slowed until the Swordsman's next turn.

5. Goblin Skullcleaver
Standard Action: Move towards Nit.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/Joseph_Silver/Left_Hand_Map.png

Belobog
2010-01-17, 01:46 PM
Dolores nods at her handiwork, noting the chaos that had been sown amongst the supposed 'ambush party'. However, her trap soon turns against them, her own allies dragged into the trap she had set. They might even fall, the way they were now. This was unacceptable. Darting out from her cover, she lashes out with an empowered stab at one of the goblins, before letting loose one of the potions carriers she had made. The construct flies to Cassidy, giving an energizing prick that would hopefully carry the ardent through the battle.

Dolores moves two steps southwest to J4, uses Magic Weapon on I3. She takes a minor action to use Resistive Formula on Cassidy: she gains a +1 to AC, which may be expended as a free action to gain her Healing Surge +2 in temp hp. I suggest she do that ASAP.

Attack Roll:[roll0] (Int+1(Magic Weapon)+2(Combat Advantage)+2(Spear))
Damage Roll: [roll1]

SpearchuckerJoe
2010-02-05, 07:30 PM
Io continues his reign of destruction on the clumped enemies. He glows with a blue energy, electricity crackling around him.

I know the games on hiatus but I'll go anyway. Io should also be at O9

Blazing starfall centered at J0:

I1: [roll1]
K0: [roll2]

Dmg: [roll3]