PDA

View Full Version : Adventuring Party Names!

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 04:31 PM
Hey everybody!

Just curious, and interested, in what everyone's parties are called.

I'd start, but...

Our Half-Elf Cleric, Dalan, wants to call us 'Half-Elf Worshipping Multiclassing Cleric-Bard Ultra Force'. Our Dwarven Fighter, McDumgle, wants to call us 'PWBT' (People Who Bash Things). Our DM has no preference. As for me, well... I'm Chaotic Neutral :biggrin: .

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-21, 04:36 PM
My group can never decide on a name.

In a superhero campaign half the group wanted to be called the Phoenix Force and the other half wanted to be the Omega Force. We ended up being the PO force.

At the moment the group from the fantasy campaign we're in has half settled on The Trouble Shooters.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-21, 04:40 PM
"Oh god the maniacs are back!" At least, that's cheered every time we enter a region.

Granted, we have survived the destruction of multiple cities, but it's not our fault that the dragon refuses to aim his breath away from civilians.

arguskos
2009-12-21, 04:42 PM
"Oh god the maniacs are back!" At least, that's cheered every time we enter a region.

Granted, we have survived the destruction of multiple cities, but it's not our fault that the dragon refuses to aim his breath away from civilians.
Haha, that fight was lulzy. :smallcool:

drengnikrafe
2009-12-21, 04:45 PM
... Names? For a whole party?
I... Uhh... I've seen two named parties in my whole life. One was called "The Order of the Stick", and the other "The Order of the Scribble."

EDIT: I forgot an NPC team I made once. It consisted of the 11 base classes, each at level 11, with all stats at 11 except one at 22. I called them... "The Order 11."... I need to work on my naming.

FrozenOcean
You have a superhero campiagn?

Anyway, maybe non-naming is more common than we thought... There's another party we know, although our DMs hate each other, so we won't combine.

Anyway, they have no name either. They consider it unimportant.

Anyone?

Another_Poet
I had an NPC squad named the Ivy Arms League. Their names were Harvey, Darmuth and Cornall.

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 04:47 PM
I... Uhh... I've seen two named parties in my whole life. One was called "The Order of the Stick", and the other "The Order of the Scribble."

Lawlz, and is it uncommon?

Optimystik
2009-12-21, 04:48 PM
"The Collective" for an all-psionic party. (Wilder, Egoist, Psychic Rogue, PsyWar and Ardent.)

I had an NPC squad named the Ivy Arms League. Their names were Harvey, Darmuth and Cornall.

What you did there; I see it.

Kallisti
2009-12-21, 04:49 PM
My players named their party Existance, so they could call themselves things like "The smartest man in Existance" or "The finest warrior in all Existance!" Or, in one case, "The only good man in Existance." Our poor, poor beleaguered paladin, trying to ride herd over fools and madmen...

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 04:50 PM
"The Collective" for an all-psionic party. (Wilder, Egoist, Psychic Rogue, PsyWar and Ardent.)

What you did there; I see it.

Finally! And, cool name.

What who did where? Is this your psychic abilities showing you posts from... from THE FUTURE!?

Zaydos
2009-12-21, 04:55 PM
I had one campaign where the players were part of a semi-secret knightly order (okay knightly is a loose term as it was led by mages and even the knights had magical powers) called the Order of the Seal, and they were not above name dropping. I've had campaigns where they were pirates and let themselves be known as the Crew of the White Gull (the ship they inherited from legendary heroes when the King of the Shark Men came and killed everyone leaving two PCs that were presumed dead) and again were not above name dropping. I've had another where I know they gave the group a name, and some joking names, but no truly permanent ones.

My roommate is taking over my old campaign and my new character being a chaotic good wild mage might suggest the party take a name and come up with a long list of ones. Otherwise... the party would have a similar reputation to Sstoopidtallkid's except they never go back just leave everyone probably dead/eaten by ghouls (the town still doesn't know what caused all those ghouls).

Lapak
2009-12-21, 04:57 PM
I... Uhh... I've seen two named parties in my whole life. One was called "The Order of the Stick", and the other "The Order of the Scribble."The Swanmays, the Knights of Myth Drannor, the Fellowship of the Ring, the Heroes of the Lance, Acquisitions Inc., the Silver Blades, the Company of Seven... there's plenty of precedent for such a thing. Some of them call themselves by a name, some of them get named by others; in some settings there's even legal paperwork you can do to register an adventuring company officially.

For you guys, FrozenOcean, I'd grab an appropriate noun from either a significant early adventure or your place of origin. 'The Three from Westmeet' if you're from there, say, or 'The Broken Swords' if you only survived your first adventure because the fighter sundered the BBEG's weapon. Something relevant to your experience.

Satyr
2009-12-21, 05:00 PM
Back in the days when I regularly played Shadowrun, the different teams of 'Runners usually had a distinct name, even though they sounded more like rock bands than adventurers. I remember the Edelstahlratten ("Stainless Steel Rats"), the Sewer Pirates, and Blood Money. Otherwise, party names have only appeared in pirate games.

dob
2009-12-21, 05:06 PM
I've been a part of the Moving Targets and the Flatliners, but I was always most proud to be a member of the Tinker Trading Company. Hey, what can I say, we spent a lot of time in Cormyr and were way, way too paranoid to actually register as adventurers.

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 05:21 PM
Thanks Lapak, although I'm not after inspiration. Thinking about naming sparked an idea in me, and I found myself compelled to ask others. It's interesting.

Here's some info about our party, if you want:

We're doing the 'Scales Of War' questline. We meet in a tavern. Dalan, our half-elf Cleric, has been following the dwarven Fighter, McDumgle, around the town for better part of a day, trying fruitlessly to 'bring him under the light Pelor'. McDumgle, trying his best to ignore the cleric, goes to the tavern for... Well, what else? Dalan seats himself at the single, lonesome table McDumgle posts himself at.

Bla, stuff happens.

Later, a young, pale man dressed in black leather is thrown out of the tavern. (Me!)

More bla and fluff.

Later, Dalan realises his holy symbol is gone. Somehow (DM will decide), he realises it was stolen, and several of the tavern's customers noted that their items had also vanished. The owner, knowing from experiance that the young man from before was the culprit. He recruits Dalan and McDumgle, who are in need of gold, forming their first quest together. They search for the thief, who eventually gets caught when he tries to return the symbol (Out of guilt), along with a substantial amount of stolen goods, to Dalan. Unsuccessfully.

For whatever reason, Dalan decides to recruit the thief, and they form the party, and the story continues from there. (I know it's crap, but the DM is to fill in the details as it happens).

Also, Dire Llamas.

jiriku
2009-12-21, 05:23 PM
In honor of their destructive nature, I have named my current group 'The Cherry Nobles'. Our group's symbol is the mushroom cloud.

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 05:29 PM
Our group's symbol is the mushroom cloud.

Epic win. If any of your members ascend via the DemiGod Epic Destiny, make that a holy symbol for the next campaign.

Cleric: Time to test out my new ability!
Rogue: Which is?
Cleric: *Casting* ATOMIC ERUPTION!
Fighter: What's it do?
Cleric: No idea. It has a 5 round delay time, though.
Wizard: Oh. Um, radius?
Cleric: I don't really know... the power entry only says 'Radius: Large'.
Goblins: Can we attack now?
Goblin Chieftain: No! I wanna see what it does!
Cleric: Okay, delay's over!
Everyone: Awes-KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
DM: You all... died. Fallout RP, anyone?

Aron Times
2009-12-21, 05:37 PM
I have ten players in my campaign, "The Cabinet of Faces." They are divided into two parties of five, named the Left Hand and the Right Hand. The Left Hand is currently in Breland while the Right Hand is in Karrnath, near the Mror Holds border. The two Hands coordinate through a dreamscape, the Rainbow Falls Cafe, in the Plane of Dream, a.k.a. Dal Quor, which can be accessed by going to sleep with a Sleepweaver, a magic ring that projects the wearer's mind into the Rainbow Falls.

I basically stole this idea from the Wheel of Time series.

Allanimal
2009-12-21, 05:38 PM
One of my groups is called "the homewreckers" because in each of the first few sessions, at least something has been broken at my house.
Chairs, coffee pot, coffee mugs, etc.
It's tapered off now that there isn't anything left in the house to break. :smallannoyed:

For a while, our Ranger/Scout kept fumbling her bow attacks and the DM ruled in 3 or 4 cases that she shot a comrade in the back :smallmad:, so we toyed with changing the name to "Friendly Fire".

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 05:42 PM
changing the name to "Friendly Fire".

Or 'Americans'.

Sorry. Anyway, that is such an awesome idea, JSilver.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-21, 05:46 PM
The Swanmays, the Knights of Myth Drannor, the Fellowship of the Ring, the Heroes of the Lance, Acquisitions Inc., the Silver Blades, the Company of Seven... there's plenty of precedent for such a thing. Some of them call themselves by a name, some of them get named by others; in some settings there's even legal paperwork you can do to register an adventuring company officially.

Don't forget the Justice League, Fantasic Four, Avengers, Justice Friends, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, for non Tolkenesque groups.

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 05:47 PM
Don't forget the Justice League, Fantasic Four, Avengers, Justice Friends, and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, for non Tolkenesque groups.

They aren't D&D parties, though. Or at least, RP parties. And so forth.

Bob
2009-12-21, 05:50 PM
in my experience, parties tend to be named after their first important achievement. Because back then, they were a loose association of miscreants, and not the stolid loyal heroes that they are in the present.

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 05:57 PM
So, something like 'The Dragon Councilors' (For those Heroes who convinced the dragon that life was not pain, and that angst is for silly people. The dragon lived a happy life after that, getting married, burninating cottages, and devouring small children only on Wednesdays. The town rejoiced.).

Foryn Gilnith
2009-12-21, 05:58 PM
Epic win. If any of your members ascend via the DemiGod Epic Destiny, make that a holy symbol for the next campaign.

Or, if you're in 3e, use Major Creation to summon plutonium.

Oracle_Hunter
2009-12-21, 06:00 PM
This is actually an issue I had been thinking about.

Reading over TSR D&D sourcebooks, adventuring party names were incredibly common. As has been noted here, fantasy literature is chock full of them - yet I have never been in a game where the name felt... right.

I think this is partially because modern fantasy literature isn't too big on "naming groups" - as opposed to naming Big Scary Organizations or Superhero Teams. You play RPGs with the same folks you hang out with normally - naming the PCs' group is kind of like naming your group of friends.

That said, I am trying to "bring back" the naming of adventuring parties. It's hard, but here's some thoughts:

(1) Name them after a formative event
An example is "The Heroes of Winterhaven" - used by a party whose campaign journal I read on the forums. They're loosely following the 4E adventure paths, and Winterhaven is the "beginner town." Their first major success came out of this sleepy town - so naturally, they'll be associated with it.

(2) Name them after a group mascot
Maybe you have an awesome ship or banner or some sort of communal item. Easily recognizable, it is understandable that it'll become the symbol of your group. Think "The Crew of the Narwhal" or somesuch.

(3) (Leader)'s (noun)
Traditional in military literature, you take the unit's leader's name and then use a fierce noun to describe his men. "Rico's Roughnecks" as an example.

Anyone else have a good system?

FrozenOcean
2009-12-21, 06:02 PM
I know! The Epic Fellowship of Banjo The Clown!

That'd be awesome if Elan had an adventure daydream.

But really, it seems to me that not many parties name themselves...

Also, drengnikrafe, didn't you forget... Someone?

:nale::sabine::thog:

EDIT: System?

I base it on:
Party members. Who are they? How many are there, etc.

Goals. What are they trying to ultimately accomplish?

Achievements. What is their Gamerscore have they previously done of note?

Ecalsneerg
2009-12-21, 06:03 PM
They aren't D&D parties, though. Or at least, RP parties. And so forth.
Mutants and Masterminds objects to your not classing superhero games as RP.

comicshorse
2009-12-21, 06:05 PM
THE WAYWARD WILLOWS ( the party came from the village of Willow Creek)

THE CRIMSON FIST ( Eberron group, monk who used his hands, Shifter who used claws and Warforged who had claws builtinto his hands)

THE ORDER OF THE TRAVELLING TOWER ( base was a wizard's tower which could teleport to certain pre-set locations)

Thurbane
2009-12-21, 09:30 PM
Current party name: Toad's Heroes (much to my chagrin - Toad is the alias of our Grey Elf Beguiler who got reincarnated as a Goblin, and picked up the nickname when he got Baleful Polymorphed into a toad).

Previous party names:
The Hammers (from the village of Littleham)
Damage Inc.
The Flying Squad (aka the B*stard Squad)

DabblerWizard
2009-12-21, 09:35 PM

Star Trek references FTW.

Guilliaume
2009-12-21, 09:45 PM
In my group, we didn't come up with one until we were level 15 or so. We were tracking down a copper dragon in the desert somewhere. We kept coming upon signs that said "Turn Back!" and the like. The final one we found read "Last Warning..." Our dire flail dual wielding ranger picked up the sign and carried it with us, and when we got to the BBEG he planted in his skull; From that point on he carried 20 or so signs for planting in people we defeated and our name was born.

oxinabox
2009-12-21, 09:49 PM
we were playing an elite militairy unit.
our leader was a cleric of pelor.
we were known as Pelor's Fist

UserClone
2009-12-22, 04:43 AM
The Shattered Swords Mercenary Company.

Cherubim
2009-12-22, 05:33 AM
In our first session the rogue in my group that I DM became obsessed with describing his attacks as "penetrating this and that"...
the others caught up quickly...therefore sprang the groupname "SPARTA" into existance...

standing for "Super Penetration Army, Reluctantly Targeting Anus"...i hate them :smallbiggrin:

BWM
2009-12-22, 06:23 AM
Party Part E

Talyn
2009-12-22, 01:32 PM
The Sons of Stormhaven (my very first campaign - Stormhaven didn't survive the third session, sadly, but the PCs kept the name)
The 13th Legion (named after an ancient battle standard they found in their first dungeon)
The Wild Arms Mercenary Company (don't remember the origin of that name)
The Gaslamp Ghostbusters (a 19th century game using the Savage Worlds ruleset, we were basically Victorian-era Ghostbusters)
The Order of the Crimson Dawn (party leader is a crusading paladin of Pelor)
The King's Men (actually a traveling show, not endorsed by any king)
The Star Patrol (superhero organization)

Yukitsu
2009-12-22, 01:37 PM
My current group that has a group name are referred to as "The necromancers three." as we're a trio of necromancers.

Every other group lacks a name, as we consider it unimportant.

Isak
2009-12-22, 01:47 PM
My current game is Rifts.

We're apart of a... fairly large Mercenary Organization.

Our name? Team FTW!

:smallbiggrin:

Xuincherguixe
2009-12-22, 02:13 PM
Most of the time, my parties tend not to have names.

But there were a few things LIKE adventuring parties that for whatever reason a name kind of was required.

Back when I was playing on a Shadowrun MUSH, there was an all adept initiatory group. I... don't really know where to begin explaining it but it was kind of like a martial arts group. Filled with Criminals for hire. Oddly enough we were all fairly nice people. Anyways, that group was "The Fractured Warriors."

On a different MUSH (one of my old pals from the above dragged me in), we made this group of... actually I don't even know what the hell it's purpose is. It's at least some what revolutionary. We're "The Rabble".

Optimystik
2009-12-22, 02:23 PM
What who did where? Is this your psychic abilities showing you posts from... from THE FUTURE!?

His "Ivy Arms League" consists of Ivy League universities.

Harvey - Harvard
Darmuth - Dartmouth
Cornall - Cornell

Telonius
2009-12-22, 02:27 PM
My previous adventuring party was called The Bad News Drop Bears. The group I'm currently trying to kill DM'ing for is called The Order of the Hungry Frog (named after the Druid's Dire Frog animal companion).

Vizzerdrix
2009-12-22, 02:29 PM
Anyway, they have no name either. They consider it unimportant.

Anyone?

This. Honestly I hate naming groups.

Or if someone in the group insist, I'll find a suitably silly name and enforce it amongst both npcs and the group. Go Fluffy Pink Bunnies! :smalltongue:

Duos Greanleef
2009-12-22, 03:00 PM
We were a gang of kobold raiders named the Tunnel Rats.
--We established our launching pad Echo Base
--Our arch rivals were the Gut Punchers.

I once was in a group where the major goals of our characters were to find the fanciest capes, cloaks, and other assorted neck drapery.
--Our name was The OCAPE clan.

Kinda lame, yeah... But they stuck.

Zom B
2009-12-22, 03:13 PM
Haven't named too many adventuring parties but I've played in faaaar too many WEG Star Wars games and had so many ships that I felt compelled to name. My favorite? A slow-moving freighter named The Sitting Duck.

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-22, 03:22 PM
Mutants and Masterminds objects to your not classing superhero games as RP.

As does Hero System. Also I does so better. :P

As far as party composition goes:

The PO Foce had 10+ members-

Power Line- Electricity manipulating hero with all manner of electric powers and the ability to transform into a ball of lightning.

Paladin- Ironman-equse armored crusader.

"Shotgun" Rosey- Barbie doll sized cape crusader with lethal energy blasts.

Tank Girl- Superhero with abilities similar to Superman, but with an intense aversion to anything that might cause her to break a nail.

Siberian Tiger- Semi-soviet sniper/archer with catlike claws agility and strength.

Mr. E- Incredible trench coat wearing shape shifter.

Others- We had allot more members, and some characters changed as they died off/where retired but I can't remember all the names right now.

Trouble Shooters has 12-13 I think

Professor Farnsworth- Mad Wizard
Darian Mankiller-Priest/Palidin
Dr. Stange- Slightly less mad Wzard
Lando- Changeling Night
More but names escape me.

Zom B
2009-12-22, 03:25 PM
My previous adventuring party was called The Bad News Drop Bears. The group I'm currently trying to kill DM'ing for is called The Order of the Hungry Frog (named after the Druid's Dire Frog animal companion).

I bet I know someone (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/search_result.php?d=%22death+of+being+sat+on+by+a+ giant+frog%22&in=s&t=0&c=) with whom he should be acquainted by now.

Kylarra
2009-12-22, 03:28 PM
We're "Team Gravity" named for a predilection for pushing enemies off of cliffs, into pit traps, and other environmental hazards.

Magnor Criol
2009-12-22, 03:32 PM
The Peanut Gallery.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-22, 03:35 PM
You people name your parties? Generally we're just a bunch of folks who go around fightin' evil and breaking stuff.

Kylarra
2009-12-22, 03:38 PM
You people name your parties? Generally we're just a bunch of folks who go around fightin' evil and breaking stuff.
For us it's more of an unofficial/OOC thing. Whenever we successfully knock someone into a pit or somesuch we say, "go team gravity!" .

Xuincherguixe
2009-12-22, 04:02 PM
We were a gang of kobold raiders named the Tunnel Rats.
--We established our launching pad Echo Base
--Our arch rivals were the Gut Punchers.

I once was in a group where the major goals of our characters were to find the fanciest capes, cloaks, and other assorted neck drapery.
--Our name was The OCAPE clan.

Kinda lame, yeah... But they stuck.

Tunnel Rats RULE!

Magnor Criol
2009-12-22, 04:25 PM
For us it's more of an unofficial/OOC thing. Whenever we successfully knock someone into a pit or somesuch we say, "go team gravity!" .

This is basically how we come up with our names. It's not that we sit down and think of a name before we start, it's just something we come up with naturally as we adventure.

BobVosh
2009-12-22, 04:51 PM
My favorite team name is still Cormyr Coin Collectors Club. Or quad-C.

We also has the Bright Burning Brigade.

Obviously alliteration is important.

Optimystik
2009-12-22, 05:07 PM
http://shamusyoung.mu.nu/images/comic_lotr23.jpg

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-22, 05:10 PM
Y'know, my parties' names tend to be chosen by the NPCs - and thus, in essence, the DM. The logic for sticking with them is always the same - if that's the name we're known by, then we'll use it to introduce ourselves and let the fame take care of the rest. That being said, my characters have been members of:

The Butchers
Mephisto's Few
The Lords of Wrath
The Portland Seven
The Bloodbound
Down Street Pact
The Lord Protector's Men
Defenders of the Realm
The Souldrinkers

And my personal favorite,

F.A.T.E. Incorporated
We're inevitable

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-22, 05:20 PM
Our party is called "Those who Serve" though i'd be happy to rid myself of that title. Heronious is kind of a downer and a bit of an *******. Not to mention bloodthirsty. He really is just as bad as Hextor, and at least he's honest about it.

FrozenOcean
2009-12-22, 06:53 PM
*Win*

That's so awesome! :smallbiggrin:

Grommen
2009-12-22, 07:47 PM
The Bloody Fist (was given to the party after the party's palidian lost a hand in a fight).

Dammage inc. (We were either dishing it out in mass or receiving it in bucketloads).

Can't think of party names that we all settled on.

Lioness
2009-12-22, 08:17 PM
(3) (Leader)'s (noun)
Traditional in military literature, you take the unit's leader's name and then use a fierce noun to describe his men. "Rico's Roughnecks" as an example.

This ended badly for us. The only thing we could come up with was Himil's Harem

And that wasn't happening.

So, we have a boat, so we named ourselves after the boat. It is the Sea Wyvern. We are the Shadow Wyverns.

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-22, 09:27 PM
This ended badly for us. The only thing we could come up with was Himil's Harem

And that wasn't happening.

So, we have a boat, so we named ourselves after the boat. It is the Sea Wyvern. We are the Shadow Wyverns.

Wouldn't "The Wyvern's Shadow" make more sense? or perhaps "The Wyvern's Soul"? I mean, since you guys are the people behind The Sea Wyvern, You would be an extension of it.

Gorilla2038
2009-12-22, 10:44 PM
I got the party to name itself the Serial Peacemakers. That suggestion that could NOT come from my LG knight, who was a prig up his butt type. :)

Fires of Orion(my characters name) was not excepted.

ondonaflash
2009-12-23, 11:58 AM
A group consisting of a Tiefling Rogue, an Aasimir Paladin of Freedom devoted to Olidammara, an Elven Monk, and a Human Cleric of Talos. The Name: Holy Hellfire