PDA

View Full Version : Epic Shenanigans that DON'T Involve Epic Spellcasting?

subject42
2009-12-21, 05:10 PM
Pretty much every thread that involves the word "Epic" on this board inevitably devolves into a discussion of the mechanical issues that plague epic spellcasting and how it overpowers pretty much everything else at that point.

That's already been covered.

Assuming a level 30ish character, what kind of absurd shenanigans can you get into without epic spellcasting?

The best that I've seen so far is a build that used Improved Grapple, Throw Enemy, and Distant shot to HURL PEOPLE INTO THE SUN.

Can anyone top that?

Douglas
2009-12-21, 05:16 PM
Improved Spell Capacity x8 + Innate Spell = Miracle at will.

Optimystik
2009-12-21, 05:22 PM
Epic Diplomacy.

/thread

DragonBaneDM
2009-12-21, 05:56 PM
{Scrubbed}

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-21, 05:58 PM
Epic Diplomacy.

/thread

Epic skill checks in general.

Two epic rogue steal each other across the world in six seconds! The bard fits his head through a keyhole! The monk walks on air!

Epic skill checks are insane.

Douglas
2009-12-21, 05:59 PM
{Scrubbed}
No Epic Spellcasting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicSpellcasting) is not the same thing as no spellcasting.

Signmaker
2009-12-21, 06:03 PM
Completely undetectable rogues? Very few epic-level things have a spot check actually worth a damn when you factor in +40 Hide magic items. Of course, the trap in that situation would be to shoot for invisibility, which you absolutely do NOT do in epic. Invisibility is BAD.

The Tygre
2009-12-21, 06:10 PM
You wanna' give specific examples? Any particularly humorous? Horrifying? Awesome? Any that stand out at all? Entertain me, mortals!

Well golly gee, emphasis mine.

EDIT: Crap. Triple ninja'd.

Douglas
2009-12-21, 06:13 PM
Well golly gee, emphasis mine.
Your point? The OP excluded the Epic Spellcasting feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicSpellcasting) and the utterly broken system that comes with it (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm), not spellcasting in general.

Eldariel
2009-12-21, 06:14 PM
Completely undetectable rogues? Very few epic-level things have a spot check actually worth a damn when you factor in +40 Hide magic items. Of course, the trap in that situation would be to shoot for invisibility, which you absolutely do NOT do in epic. Invisibility is BAD.

There's still Mindsight, Touchsight, Metal Scent, Arcane Sights of various kinds and such that make complete invisibility rather hard to achieve.

Hmm, well, most other classes don't really get anything worthwhile. That's why people homebrew epic. I mean, Exceptional Deflection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#exceptionalDeflection) is a great feat, but only defensive and thus not in any ways broken, and Distant Shot (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#distantShot) has some rather silly uses and Dire Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#direCharge) finally makes some degree of Pounce available for non-Barbarian non-casters and Epic Skill Checks mean non-casters can finally start doing some of the stuff casters have been doing since level 3.

Casters, on the other hand, get more good stuff. Multispell is pretty bonkers (combined with Automatic Quickens or Improved Spell Capacities), Spell Stowaway has some uses (TIME STOP!), etc. So...yeah. Even without Epic Spellcasting, casters get the longer stick (though since everything begins to become immune to everything, their offensive toolbox begins to sharply decline meaning they'll soon need to be Gating stuff to kill anything, and with the power of defensive contingencies on this level, intelligent creatures dying is EXCEEDINGLY rare).

Signmaker
2009-12-21, 06:17 PM
There's still Mindsight, Touchsight, Metal Scent, Arcane Sights of various kinds and such that make complete invisibility rather hard to achieve.

Telepathy Block, Incorporeality, usage of non-metals, usage of non-precious metals (for treasure scent), and Nystul's Magic Aura. All of which are pretty easy to get at epic levels.

raitalin
2009-12-21, 06:20 PM
Storm of Throws + Distant Shot + The Master Thrower's Trip Shot + Pile of Gravel= Tripping an entire army

erikun
2009-12-21, 06:23 PM
Not epic, but 896d8 damage per round (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19539114/Psychic_Warrior_Build_Guide_38_Compendium_RevisedP sychic). Also, Hulking Hurler can technically throw people into the sun at an earlier level. Or throw a Returning magical weapon dipped in sovereign glue at the sun, grab it as it returns, then throw the sun at someone.

Fun stuff.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-21, 06:26 PM

Can't do that at level 30ish though. Too many feats.

EDIT:
Not epic, but 896d8 damage per round (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19539114/Psychic_Warrior_Build_Guide_38_Compendium_RevisedP sychic). Also, Hulking Hurler can technically throw people into the sun at an earlier level. Or throw a Returning magical weapon dipped in sovereign glue at the sun, grab it as it returns, then throw the sun at someone.

Fun stuff.

Probably melt/burn before it got close enough to touch the sun. Besides, the sun is a chemical reaction, not an object.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-21, 06:36 PM
Probably melt/burn before it got close enough to touch the sun. Besides, the sun is a chemical reaction, not an object.

Er...

Fire is a chemical reaction, not an object.

Stars are very, very much objects - freaking large ones, too. They're mostly made of hydrogen, and are the source of all matter heavier than helium.

The sun is not a freaking ball of fire, no matter what cartoons might tell you.

The Tygre
2009-12-21, 06:39 PM
Aaaand, we're done here. I wash my hands of this madness. Gentlemen, I've spent my time at DiceFreaks. I've heard enough railing against the current Epic system for one lifetime as it is.

Your point? The OP excluded the Epic Spellcasting feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#epicSpellcasting) and the utterly broken system that comes with it (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm), not spellcasting in general.

Ah, you seem to have me at a disadvantage, sir. Touche.

Signmaker
2009-12-21, 06:47 PM
Also, Hulking Hurler can technically throw people into the sun at an earlier level.

Psh, Kensais can punch the sun for a little under half of pre-epic.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-21, 06:47 PM
Aaaand, we're done here. I wash my hands of this madness. Gentlemen, I've spent my time at DiceFreaks. I've heard enough railing against the current Epic system for one lifetime as it is.

But you've made such great contributions to the thread.

chiasaur11
2009-12-21, 07:05 PM
Er...

Stars are very, very much objects - freaking large ones, too. They're mostly made of hydrogen, and are the source of all matter heavier than helium.

Although the sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.

Lapak
2009-12-21, 07:06 PM
The sun is not a freaking ball of fire, no matter what cartoons might tell you.Can't state that outright; it's campaign-dependent. It could be a hole in the sky, or a chariot with a (now very angry) Sun God in it, or it could be a ball of fire. :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2009-12-21, 07:12 PM
Using the Sun God's Chariot as a personal cab is up there with the pan-Mechanus Inevitable as things worthy of Epic levels.

appending_doom
2009-12-21, 07:17 PM
Immortality through Extended Lifespan? (I know, it's a waste of feats, but it's an amusing waste of feats.)

Tracking creatures across water (Look at this wavelet! It suggests a party of four creatures swam this channel three days ago -- two halflings, a gnome, and a drow. They were traveling southeast.).

Now, I know it's spellcasting, but Spell Stowaway has always been a personal favorite. If your opponent starts off the battle with time stop, you can get the same amount of preparation.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-21, 07:26 PM
Although the sun is a mass of incandescent gas, a gigantic nuclear furnace where hydrogen is built into helium at a temperature of millions of degrees.

Yep. Decidedly an object. A very hot object, but still an object.

subject42
2009-12-21, 07:42 PM
To those who have been arguing back and forth, Epic level characters casting spells is fine; I'd like to hear about stuff that you can do without that feat.

I've never played an epic game, so it has always interested me.

The bard fits his head through a keyhole!

Wait, what?

taltamir
2009-12-21, 07:49 PM
you throw your sovereign glue dipped returning axe at the sun, it takes several billion HP fire damage, destroying it (and thus, the enchantment), it fails to return.

the sun is hot because of a nuclear (not chemical) reaction. The sun itself is still an object...

"fire" is hot because of a chemical reaction, but it is a chemical reaction between reactants which are an object...

IRL, when you burn propane, you still have propane gas and air, both of which are objects with mass, having a chemical reaction to produce a "flame".

Part of the problem is that the word fire predates chemistry, so fire should literally mean "the light that comes from a head source"... which would be the chemical reaction.

Krazddndfreek
2009-12-21, 07:49 PM
Er...

Unless I've remembered it wrong, a star is a constant fusion of Helium and Hydrogen which causes the combustion. But I have been wrong before, and Wikipedia isn't a very reliable source, so don't quote that if you're trying to prove me wrong.

EDIT: Bleh, serves me right for not reading the thread.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-21, 07:54 PM
Hulking Hurler + Distant Shot + Blood Wind Richochet. At night, take your projectile or enemy of choice, and throw them at every single star in the sky simultaneously.

Actually, you'd need a way of getting infinite attacks to pull that off. Still you can throw it at multiple stars, each on opposite sides of the sky if you want, and it'll reach them all in six seconds before coming back.

subject42
2009-12-21, 07:55 PM
Given the standard D&D cosmology, isn't the sun Pelor's face? If that's true, and you did the throwing+returning+fire immune axe trick, wouldn't you essentially be beating people up with a god's head?

If that's what Epic levels are about, I need to try a game.

Ormur
2009-12-21, 08:02 PM
You can ride your mount while standing with a DC 40 check. I heard of an epic party that traveled everywhere standing on Griffons.

Somewhere
2009-12-21, 08:19 PM
You can ride your mount while standing with a DC 40 check.

Reminds me of the Sengoku Basara anime. What's the DC for standing up on a pair of mounts while they're running up a castle wall?

SurlySeraph
2009-12-21, 08:39 PM
Exceptional Deflecton + Infinite Deflection + Reflect Arrows = immunity to anything that requires a ranged attack roll, plus sending it back at the caster. Batting back Enervations seems pretty reasonable for epic, right? How about throwing a beholder's eye rays? How about throwing back the eye rays of six hundred beholders, several dozen hurled boulders, ray spells, and a barrage of arrows all in the same round? Because you can do that.

Improved Combat Reflexes + Sneak Attack of Opportunity + Spell Opportunity + Robilar's Gambit. Every time you're attacked in melee, no matter how many times, you get an attack of opportunity. On every attack of opportunity you can cast a touch spell, and you get full sneak attack damage on it. This is great for an Arcane Trickster. Add in Fell Drain Fire Shield or Fell Drain Death Armor or both (everything that hits you takes a negative level; with both, they take two), Lingering Damage (which repeats all SA damage you do next round), and Karmic Strike (another AoO against anything that hits you) to make attacking you in melee mean immediate death. Especially nice against things that make silly numbers of attacks, like the Hecatoncheires. Oh, and remember that trick I mentioned above? The one where anyone who makes ranged attacks on you attacks themselves? Heh.

And if you're a Rogue, you can add in Dexterous Fortitude and Dexterous Will to make Reflex saves against things that require Fort and Will saves. Once per round, granted, but immunity to attack rolls and good saves against everything is a bit much to ask.

Self-Concealment + epic Hide and Move Silently ranks. Whenever you have your Dex bonus to AC, you can be always invisible, all the time, without magic.

Death of Enemies and Devastating Critical are fun. Take a ranger with both those feats and Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting dual-wielding kukris. Add in Bless Weapon to auto-confirm crits. Every time he gets a threat, a.k.a. 1/4 of his 8 or more attacks per round, the target must make two Will saves or die. Add in Slashing Fury, Haste, Whirling Frenzy Barbarian, and various other ways to get more attacks and the odds of your enemy rolling a 1 get pretty high pretty fast. Granted, it's easy to be immune to critical hits at epic level, but still. 4 or more Fortitude saves vs. death per round just by stabbing something. Naturally, this could get extremely silly with Lightning Maces and Aptitude Kukris.

Vorpal Strike + lots of attacks, for much the same reasons. You can decapitate gods and dragons and dragon gods with your bare hands. And with enough attacks per round, you're going to roll a 20 eventually.

Colossal Wild Shape + Magic Beast Wild Shape, Abberation Wild Shape, etc... do I even have to explain this to you? You have to be level 48 before you can wildshape into the Tarrasque, unfortunately, but there's plenty of lower-HD stuff that you can use. And of course combining it with Planar Shepherd allows great things.

Improved Alignment-Based Casting + other caster level increases. Makes Holy Word abuse even easier.

Inspire Excellence. You can sing so well that you make everyone around you prettier or smarter or tougher.

Leadership abuse gets completely ridiculous at epic levels. Epic Leadership + Legendary Commander + Leadership 40 (which is not very difficult to get with epic charisma-enhancing items) = 12,020 followers. You have an entire army following you everywhere. On the other hand, since massacring low-level people is so trivial at epic levels, maybe that's not so overpowered.

Eldariel
2009-12-21, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah, and Ignore Material Components + Ice Assassin (or a number of less ridiculous options).

SparkMandriller
2009-12-21, 09:25 PM
Well, there's always crawling inside people using Escape Artist.

Dixieboy
2009-12-21, 09:37 PM
Ever seen/read spiderman?
That's what you can do with epic climb.

Then there's sleight of hand which makes it possibly to steal a guys pants, while he is wearing them.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-21, 09:40 PM
A DC 80 Sleight of Hand check lets you omit the need for Hide in Plain Sight, with a little cooperation. Epic Sense Motive is mind-reading. If you can make a DC 120 Survival check, you can figure out how to get anywhere just from hearing it described. DC 60 Autohypnosis gives you DR 2/-; you are literally concentrating so hard that swords stop working on you.

One thing that annoys me is that it's DC 60 Survival to "Identify race/kind of creature(s) by tracks." Seriously? In Lord of the Rings Aragorn doesn't need more than a second of observation to tell apart orc and human tracks. By RAW, Why does DnD require a DC 60 check to do the same?

jokey665
2009-12-21, 09:41 PM
Then there's sleight of hand which makes it possibly to steal a guys pants, while he is wearing them.

It's more fun to steal your own pants while you're wearing them without yourself noticing.

Leewei
2009-12-21, 09:46 PM

Fantastic ancient people wrote music about the sun. In their time, it was said that they might be elves, they might be dragons, or that they might be giants.

Masaioh
2009-12-21, 10:03 PM
Tearing through a 30-foot thick wall made of adamantine (or something stronger) barehanded, without levels in monk, as a human.

Also, seeing through the back of your head, and then through the wall behind you with a spot check.

Dixieboy
2009-12-21, 10:14 PM
Also, seeing through the back of your head, and then through the wall behind you with a spot check.

Well there really isn't any facing rules in D&D

Arakune
2009-12-21, 10:45 PM

The roll is so epic you MAKE those rules.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-21, 10:50 PM

I beg to differ. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/combatFacing.htm) Not that anyone ever uses them, granted.

Dixieboy
2009-12-21, 11:11 PM
The roll is so epic you MAKE those rules.Making up rules just to ignore them does indeed sound like epic skillz.

@SurlySeraph: Curse you!
Actually I might just bring those to the table. :smallconfused:

Koury
2009-12-21, 11:16 PM

I love you.

golentan
2009-12-21, 11:36 PM
Craft (Trapmaking) with sufficient cheese (and maybe epic leadership) to make an invulnerable, mobile "Trap" with you riding in the center that autokills everything for miles... in six seconds (note, the warm up takes a couple rounds from when it's finished).

Then give one each to all the minions you have for epic leadership, and keep the best stuff for yourself.

Oh yes. It can be done. I've done it.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-22, 05:26 AM
Wait, what?

It's only a DC 80 Escape Artist check to fit through a space smaller than your own head.

DC 120 and you can walk through a wall of force.

Myrmex
2009-12-22, 05:29 AM
It's only a DC 80 Escape Artist check to fit through a space smaller than your own head.

DC 120 and you can walk through a wall of force.

These things are too nice. I think I will have to remove them. Otherwise someone might do something cool without using a spell. :smallannoyed:

Cyclocone
2009-12-22, 06:33 AM
Multispell gets bonkers pretty fast once you can fuel it with Improved Spell Capacity and Imroved Metamagic (or Automatic Quicken Spell if you're using the pre-errata version).

Couple that with Epic Counterspell (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ei/20020915a) and the Archmage's Mastery of Counterspelling.

Now try to imagine an epic spell duel.

Roderick_BR
2009-12-22, 07:11 AM
Hulking Hurler + Distant Shot + Blood Wind Richochet. At night, take your projectile or enemy of choice, and throw them at every single star in the sky simultaneously.

Actually, you'd need a way of getting infinite attacks to pull that off. Still you can throw it at multiple stars, each on opposite sides of the sky if you want, and it'll reach them all in six seconds before coming back.
Uh, now I remembered that Xena episode where she makes her fresbee ricochet the whole town...

For more attacks, you could get that PrC from Tome of Battle that lets you play Captain America with throwing objects. One ability allows you to get additional "ricochet" attacks by spending ready maneuvers.

Kaiyanwang
2009-12-22, 07:20 AM
One thing that annoys me is that it's DC 60 Survival to "Identify race/kind of creature(s) by tracks." Seriously? In Lord of the Rings Aragorn doesn't need more than a second of observation to tell apart orc and human tracks. By RAW, Why does DnD require a DC 60 check to do the same?

I definitively agree with this. At least, there should be a list of facilitation to drop the DC (blood traces, and similar things). I admit that they can be added by DM part as circumstance bonuses.

Indon
2009-12-22, 08:03 AM
Monk + Kensai + Throwing enchant on your body/unarmed strike + Distant Shot = Line of Sight teleportation contingent on a ranged Sunder attempt. Add Returning for the round trip.

SparkMandriller
2009-12-22, 08:36 AM
These things are too nice. I think I will have to remove them. Otherwise someone might do something cool without using a spell. :smallannoyed:

Now how am I supposed to crawl into an anus?

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-22, 08:39 AM
Play a Petal like everyone else.

SparkMandriller
2009-12-22, 08:40 AM
Those sound pretty out of core and overpowered to me.

Project_Mayhem
2009-12-22, 09:05 AM
Well, there's always crawling inside people using Escape Artist.

best /tg/ thread ever

SolkaTruesilver
2009-12-22, 09:08 AM

The sun is hot. The sun is not a place where we could live. But here on Earth there'd be no light without the light it gives.

We need its light, we need its heat, the sunlight that we see. The sunlight comes from our own sun's atomic energy.

firechicago
2009-12-22, 09:09 AM

See, if you were more up to date you'd know that the sun is a miasma of incandescent plasma. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkGSV9WDMA)

Which, incidentally, basically does make it a giant ball of flame, since the flames of a fire are air and burned bits heated until they ionize into an incandescent plasma. And while the sun is definitely an object, it is not a solid object. So you can no more attach a returning weapon to the sun with sovereign glue than you could use sovereign glue to attach a handle to a lake and lift it out of its bed.

Epic throwers will have to content themselves with throwing moons or whatever rocky planets happen to be in the vicinity.

Optimystik
2009-12-22, 09:16 AM
You wanna' give specific examples? Any particularly humorous? Horrifying? Awesome? Any that stand out at all? Entertain me, mortals!

Epic skill checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm) are really all you need. Diplomancer is built around the epic application of diplomacy. You can do more with that than you can even with Dominate Monster.

"Hi Mr. Pit Fiend! You like me, right?"
"Why, yes amazingly persuasive mortal, I do!"
"Good! Tell me your true name, let me have your 1/year Wish, agree to serve me and my descendants for all time without ever trying to rebel or do harm to us, slay this dragon for me, donate your sword to charity, and spend my retirement working with me and these commoners in the field."

Epic Balance - you can now fly permanently without magic - walk on the water vapor in the air.

Epic Bluff - never detect as evil again!

Epic Climb - Spiderman, spiderman...

Epic Escape Artist - You can now fit through arrow slits, and phase through walls of force - let's see a ghost do that!

Epic Autohypnosis - Forget you're poisoned, forget you're bleeding to death (followed by convincing yourself that you're really not bleeding - it works), and then forget that you failed your will save on that enchantment.

Ridiculous enough for you?

Duke of URL
2009-12-22, 09:37 AM
Oh yeah, and Ignore Material Components + Ice Assassin (or a number of less ridiculous options).

I like Ignore Material Components and Dread Necromancer. With a little optimization, you could literally raise an army of undead on a daily basis.

chiasaur11
2009-12-22, 06:00 PM
See, if you were more up to date you'd know that the sun is a miasma of incandescent plasma. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLkGSV9WDMA)

I now owe you one.

Thanks.

Dilb
2009-12-23, 12:48 AM

Which, incidentally, basically does make it a giant ball of flame, since the flames of a fire are air and burned bits heated until they ionize into an incandescent plasma. And while the sun is definitely an object, it is not a solid object. So you can no more attach a returning weapon to the sun with sovereign glue than you could use sovereign glue to attach a handle to a lake and lift it out of its bed.

Epic throwers will have to content themselves with throwing moons or whatever rocky planets happen to be in the vicinity.

A plasma is really a type of gas, rather than a distinct state of matter. You can have liquids of charged particles, like liquid salt, and everyone still calls them liquids. Plenty of plasmas are called gases anyway, like the electron gas in metals. Calling the sun a miasma is way worse than calling it a gas. While breathing in the sun's vapours may be bad for your health, I can assure you it won't cause cholera.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-23, 04:32 AM
No, plasma really is a different state of matter.

By the way, there's more than four - I think seven was the last count. Not every material can naturally be in all seven - in fact there are none that can be in all seven. But there you go.

"Miasma" was just a word used in a song because it rhymes.

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 04:36 AM
Seven? I only know five off the top of my head (solid, liquid, gas, plasma, Boze-Einstein condensate).

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-23, 04:48 AM
There's also fermionic condensate, quark-gluon plasma, and actually a couple others now I look it up.

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 04:53 AM
Fair 'nuff.

Volthawk
2009-12-23, 01:37 PM
Well, I like Swim. Going up waterfalls!
Spot can see completely invisible enemies, not moving, not even alive...

Adumbration
2009-12-23, 01:55 PM
I've always liked epic Binders. It's something, summoning a sphere of annihilation. Not to mention the other abilities.

Narazil
2009-12-23, 02:05 PM
Epic tracking is always fun. DC 120 or 150 to track something through the air.
*Sniff sniff* the hummingbird went southeast in a 50 degree angle!

Can you use Epic Spot to look around the curve of the planet? Epic Strength check to punch the air so hard it turns into plasma?

FatR
2009-12-23, 02:55 PM
Epic skill checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/skills.htm) are really all you need. Diplomancer is built around the epic application of diplomacy. You can do more with that than you can even with Dominate Monster.

"Hi Mr. Pit Fiend! You like me, right?"
"Why, yes amazingly persuasive mortal, I do!"
"Good! Tell me your true name, let me have your 1/year Wish, agree to serve me and my descendants for all time without ever trying to rebel or do harm to us, slay this dragon for me, donate your sword to charity, and spend my retirement working with me and these commoners in the field."

Epic Balance - you can now fly permanently without magic - walk on the water vapor in the air.

Epic Bluff - never detect as evil again!

Epic Climb - Spiderman, spiderman...

Epic Escape Artist - You can now fit through arrow slits, and phase through walls of force - let's see a ghost do that!

Epic Autohypnosis - Forget you're poisoned, forget you're bleeding to death (followed by convincing yourself that you're really not bleeding - it works), and then forget that you failed your will save on that enchantment.

Ridiculous enough for you?
Except for Diplomancy everything else is just slightly better (or considerably worse) versions of things that the real characters could do, like, 15 levels ago.

Optimystik
2009-12-23, 03:05 PM
Except for Diplomancy everything else is just slightly better (or considerably worse) versions of things that the real characters could do, like, 15 levels ago.

I agree that casters are superior, but not because they can do do those things, or even do them earlier. Casters are broken because of the other things they can do, that make walking on air, swimming up waterfalls and forging handwriting you've never seen look like parlor tricks.

The epic rules are silly because none of the things I listed are magical, or supernatural, or even extraordinary, minus a few specific exceptions.

Indon
2009-12-23, 03:05 PM
Except for Diplomancy everything else is just slightly better (or considerably worse) versions of things that the real powerful characters could do, like, 15 levels ago.

In case you weren't aware, which seems to be the case, D&D 3.5 consists of more than Horizon Walker Druids, DMM Clerics, and Batman Wizards.

Bagelz
2009-12-23, 03:07 PM
pretty much any epic skill check.
Wasn't it only a 120 escape artist to squeeze through a wall of force?

anyhow not sure if its by lvl 30 as the original post, but i know i've built a pretty crazy lvl 40 before.
- rogue/shadowdancer/invisiblade + some other shennaningans:
hide in plain sight, feint as a free action to get sneak attack (+60-90 bluff) and ignore all armor/natural armor bonuses to ac +sneak attacks of opportunity + karmic strike + tumble check to shrug off damage.

assuming something is attacking you, you end up averaging about 3 sneak attacks per round and you only take damage if you are attacked 3 or more times per round.

Eloel
2009-12-23, 03:08 PM
In case you weren't aware, which seems to be the case, D&D 3.5 consists of more than Horizon Walker Druids, DMM Clerics, and Batman Wizards.

DMM Cleric is powerful. Check.
Batman Wizard is powerful. Check.
Horizon Walker Druid? Seriously, qualifies as a faildruid.

There's a 99% chance you meant Planar Shepherd, but making fun is, well, fun :)

Indon
2009-12-23, 03:08 PM
Horizon Walker Druid? Seriously, qualifies as a faildruid.

Oh, is that not the one that stops time?

Eloel
2009-12-23, 03:09 PM
Oh, is that not the one that stops time?

My edit came a bit late. The PrC you're looking for is Planar Shepherd. Horizon Walker is a core PrC that doesn't do anything nice for a Druid. Ranger? Maybe.

Indon
2009-12-23, 03:11 PM
My edit came a bit late. The PrC you're looking for is Planar Shepherd. Horizon Walker is a core PrC that doesn't do anything nice for a Druid. Ranger? Maybe.

Ah, okay.

Yeah, I meant Planar Shepherd Druid. Taking an arbitrary amount of actions is how you know you're playing a real character.

JeenLeen
2009-12-23, 03:19 PM
I like Ignore Material Components and Dread Necromancer. With a little optimization, you could literally raise an army of undead on a daily basis.

I prefer True Resurrection for free. We hit epic and, before ending the game because it got unwieldly, the cleric said he planned on getting a list of all important NPCs who died and True Res'ing them with any leftover castings each day.
Not utter cheese, but rather useful.

If you have Craft Scroll + Ignore Material Components, could you make scrolls without adding the components needed by a spell? That would decrease cost and perhaps break economy if you sell at full price -- but it doesn't require epic to get infinite money loops.

At level 21, a wizard's familiar gets the ability to cast a spell as a bonus feat. Obtain Familiar gets a nice add-on.