PDA

View Full Version : Gear for an illusionist boom boom caster

Matamane
2009-12-21, 08:38 PM
This is the part I always have trouble with, any suggestions for good gear?

AslanCross
2009-12-21, 08:51 PM
As a caster, your spells do most of the work for you. Some essentials:

1. Infinite Scrollcase. It's not really infinite, but it helps you with scroll retrieval and makes casting easier. 2800 GP, Magic Item Compendium.

2. Eternal Wands of Shield or Mage Armor (unless you banned Conjuration/Abjuration.)

3. Handy Haversack. Every adventurer should have one, seriously.

4. Other utility items. Robe of Useful Items is a good way of carrying a lot of gear without it weighing you down.

5. The Robe of Arcane Might is kind of expensive (21k GP), but if you get an Illusion-attuned one you get a +1 competence bonus to CL with Illusion spells.

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-22, 12:53 AM
Level, build, optimization desired, houserules?

Zaydos
2009-12-22, 12:57 AM
2. Eternal Wands of Shield or Mage Armor (unless you banned Conjuration/Abjuration.)

Eternal wands don't require the spell to be on your list so banning them doesn't matter.

AslanCross
2009-12-22, 05:47 AM
Eternal wands don't require the spell to be on your list so banning them doesn't matter.

I always miss that. In any case, the suggestion still stands.

Keld Denar
2009-12-22, 06:12 AM
I love the Circlet of Rapid Casting. More actions mean more fun. Sure, it limits you to low level spells, but there are some pretty bad 1-2 punch combos that you can pull, the least of which includes True Strike + attack spell. I'm personally fond of Ray of Clumsiness + Freezing Fog for a near autowin against anything that can't teleport or is immune to cold. Otherwise, you can NEVER have too much Glitterdust in a round, and this item helps you bring MOAR!

Munchkin-Masher
2009-12-22, 11:23 AM
I love the Circlet of Rapid Casting. More actions mean more fun. Sure, it limits you to low level spells, but there are some pretty bad 1-2 punch combos that you can pull, the least of which includes True Strike + attack spell. I'm personally fond of Ray of Clumsiness + Freezing Fog for a near autowin against anything that can't teleport or is immune to cold. Otherwise, you can NEVER have too much Glitterdust in a round, and this item helps you bring MOAR!

Also if you're going the super shadow gnome illusionist route, you can use it to make MOAR silent images every round.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-22, 12:33 PM
An old standby is to grab a heandband (I prefer them in glasses format, just because there are so many wonderful head-slot items) of intelligence +X, where X is whatever you can afford at the time.

Head of Conscious Effort will help you basically auto-save against any fort save 1/day by subbing Concentration for the actual save. You could get a few more of these on rings, via the ToB maneuvers which do basically the same thing, but at once/encounter.

Rings will probably be a tight bit. Sustenance is great, if nothing else is found, but Rope Trick kind of kicks it in the pants, a little. Anticipation (Drow of the Underdark) should mean you always go first in initiative. Arcane Mastery is also great for boosting your Caster level.