PDA

View Full Version : Whats A "Good" Worldwide Ranking?

Koury
2009-12-22, 06:28 AM
What counts, in your opinion, as a "good" or impressive rank, when measured against the world? What about on a statewide level?

Is being, say, 10,000th in the world at something good? 5,000th? 500th? Or do you only consider it to be something worth mentioning if you are ranked extremely high? Say top ten or so.

What about on a more local level? 500th in your state? 50th?

What the rank is in is irrelevant, I'm just curious as to what peoples views are.

KuReshtin
2009-12-22, 08:13 AM
Apparently, one of my co-workers is in the top 100 world-wide in Forza Motorsport 2 on the 360.
I thought that was pretty good.

Player_Zero
2009-12-22, 08:14 AM
Best or nothing!

paddyfool
2009-12-22, 08:16 AM
Y'know, I saw this, and starting thinking of things like the UN Human Development Index.

But in answer to your question: anything better than yours was last year. Improvement is always good.

Riffington
2009-12-22, 08:20 AM
What the rank is in is irrelevant, I'm just curious as to what peoples views are.

False. The thousandth-best soccer player is a spectacular soccer player; the thousandth-best curler is something you could probably become in a weekend.

SurlySeraph
2009-12-22, 08:37 AM
Depends very much on the activity in question. Being the 100th best competitive cup stacker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0YgrUKfTcA) takes effort, but isn't nearly as impressive as, say, being the 100th best fighter. Or 100th best politician. Or 100th best lawyer. The more people compete about something, the more impressive it is to have reached a high level in it.

GoC
2009-12-22, 08:47 AM
1000th smartest person in the world vs 1000th best grobots player in the world...

btw: I'm the world grobots champion.:smallbiggrin:

Johel
2009-12-22, 08:51 AM
I'd say that to be among the top 10% is impressive, whatever the discipline.
To be among the top 1% is amazing while being the first is just awesome, period.

Now, some kind of competitions are valued more than others but, really, whatever the field is, it's still about being the first out of X people. The more people "X" represents, the more impressive the feat.

Koury
2009-12-22, 08:55 AM
Well if we must give an "out of how many" number (which is understandable) lets do a few different ones.

Out of 100 (aka, what percentile is good)

Out of 1 million (like being in a given high school sport)

Out of, say, 15 million (similar to, say, certain video games. Halo or Rock Band)

Out of, literally, the world.

Telonius
2009-12-22, 10:53 AM
#1 or 2 in your town/city is worth mentioning. (Add two for each 2 million population your city has; 19th-best in Tokyo would be worth mentioning; 19th-best in Davenport, Iowa, would not be).
Top 20 in your state/province/(whatever sub-national division).
Top 100 in your country.
Top 200 in your continent (unless you're in Australia; sorry, guys, you get "country" for these purposes).
Top 1000 in the world.

paddyfool
2009-12-22, 11:03 AM
And even that depends on the size of your country. To be in the top 100 in Tuvalu merely makes you in the top 1%, whereas to be in the top 100 in China makes you in the top 0.000007%. (And if you count Pitcairn as a country, or Sealand (http://www.sealandgov.org/About.html), then you've got countries where there is no top 100, because there just aren't that many people).

Emperor Ing
2009-12-22, 11:16 AM
in my point of view, worldwide, the rankings work like this. (By worldwide I mean there are millions of people participating)

Top 10,000: You're very good
Top 1000: You're amazing
Top 100: Your skill level is unreal
Top 10: You're the best
around
noone's gonna ever bring you down.

Ponce
2009-12-22, 11:31 AM
Second place is just the first loser.

Riffington
2009-12-22, 12:08 PM
And heck, it's not just percentage - it depends on your specific town/nation.
India has way more people than Ireland, and way more people who try to play soccer than Ireland. But India's best team still can't beat Ireland's 10th best team...
Similarly, for many endeavors the top 5% in NYC may be better than top 1% in many other areas. It's not just how many people compete, it's how hard they try/how competent they are/what the activity is.

SDF
2009-12-22, 04:48 PM
Well, it would be completely dependent on how many people in the world participate. If you make up your own game you may be the best at it in the world, but that doesn't really mean anything.

Setra
2009-12-22, 05:54 PM
I'd say that to be among the top 10% is impressive, whatever the discipline.
To be among the top 1% is amazing while being the first is just awesome, period.

Now, some kind of competitions are valued more than others but, really, whatever the field is, it's still about being the first out of X people. The more people "X" represents, the more impressive the feat.
This is about how I feel as well.

Koury
2009-12-22, 06:47 PM
How good does someone have to be before you would mention to someone you met them?

Like my buddy is 97th 92nd overall in the world in Rock Band on guitar. Hes freakin good.

EDIT: I just double checked (http://www.keldon.net/rockband/leader.cgi?platform=Xbox&game=RB2&type=RB2&instrument=GUITAR) and hes went up a few ranks since I last looked. That jerk.:smallmad: [/jealous]

Riffington
2009-12-22, 09:58 PM
How good does someone have to be before you would mention to someone you met them?

Like my buddy is 97th 92nd overall in the world in Rock Band on guitar. Hes freakin good.

EDIT: I just double checked (http://www.keldon.net/rockband/leader.cgi?platform=Xbox&game=RB2&type=RB2&instrument=GUITAR) and hes went up a few ranks since I last looked. That jerk.:smallmad: [/jealous]

Rock band?

Koury
2009-12-22, 10:13 PM
Well, Rock Band 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_2), technically.

Video game franchise that's topped 1 billion in sales (http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/19228/Rock-Band-Surpasses-1-Billion-Dollars-in-Sales) in North America as of last March.

skywalker
2009-12-23, 12:35 AM
Apparently, my best friend's roommate was the #2 Tekken player in the world a couple years ago. We talked about it last night. I think it's funny that it came up now.

I'd like to be in the top 1% of anything. That seems like a pretty good number. Top 10% is a bit meh, in my opinion.

It really does depend on the discipline, tho.

SDF
2009-12-23, 12:38 AM

Don't you just hit all the notes perfectly after a point? Anyway a machine could do it better.

Don't forget children, no matter how good you are at something there is a machine that is better.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-23, 01:20 AM
Don't you just hit all the notes perfectly after a point? Anyway a machine could do it better.There are ways that one could improve their score over just not missing a note. And besides, I doubt very many people get 100% on the Expert setting on very many songs very often.

Koury
2009-12-23, 01:36 AM
I can 100% a good half of the songs in the game. Hitting the notes is not even half the battle in terms of score, as Zeb said. Finding the correct path to use your power, where you can get the most notes in (the power doubles points), wheither or not those notes are chords, what type of chords they are, when to start, if you can manage to combo in more power to make it last longer, speed of notes vs amount of notes in a chord (its better to hit six fast notes then two slow three note chords if the six pass by faster then the two), if you can manage to manipulate your whammy bar on power phrase sustains and still not drop combo, making sure you actually use all your power and any number of other things.

I wish all I had to worry about was getting the notes right. In my ~4 years of playing (between GH and RB) I've never had a tied match because of all these variables.

Heh, thats all off topic anyway, I suppose :smallbiggrin:

For the record, my opinion on this matter is along the lines of what percentile you are in, modified by how many people do what you're doing. Being the best at [activity] between your friends is cool. Best in your city? Not bad. State? I'm personally impressed and don't doubt your skills. Country/Continent/World? Thats awesome. I'd tell everone I knew about the time I met the #1 crocheter in the world.

chiasaur11
2009-12-23, 01:50 AM
Don't you just hit all the notes perfectly after a point? Anyway a machine could do it better.

Don't forget children, no matter how good you are at something there is a machine that is better.

Tell that to John Conner, quisling!

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-23, 02:08 AM
I can 100% a good half of the songs in the game.:smallsigh:
And here I thought I was starting to get the hang of it. I can't 100% anything on anything harder than medium. I can play solidly on hard and I can muck through most songs on expert. I know I'm not great at it, but my rate of improvement seems to be severely lacking, since I've been playing as long as Guitar Hero has been around.

More on topic...

I'm the, ermm, number one fake plastic drummer in my whole, eehhh, house.

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:25 AM
Zeb: When I started playing I couldn't do Medium well. I could pass the easier songs, but the hard ones took many tries.

After I finally conquered GH II on medium I stepped up to hard. Learning to be able to shift my hand between index green and index red was the most difficult thing for me, followed by getting my pinky to work the way I wanted it to, followed by the basics of HO/POs.

Stepping up between Hard and Expert was less of a challenge for me. A majority of most songs are unchanged between these difficulties. Its just the fast/tricky parts get charted how they should be on expert. On Hard it will glaze over the fast/tricky with something easier.

Major obstacles in Expert? Probably just mastering HO/POs and getting your timing/rhythm correct. Learning when and how to alt strum and being able to transition into and out of it is another thing, though that starts in Hard too. Some stupid transfers you need to learn too. Going from any chord to a G/O split sucks.

The Extinguisher
2009-12-23, 02:32 AM
I've pretty much neutered myself on GH/RB because I've never used my pinky really. I can master the transitions of index on G to R to Y pretty easily, but some of the harder songs kill me for lack of pinky. (I still have a pinky, I just don't use it. It's pretty awkward to use. My hands are weird.)

But anyways, I'd say top 10% is probably pretty impressive no matter what it is.

skywalker
2009-12-23, 02:47 AM
Learning when and how to alt strum and being able to transition into and out of it is another thing, though that starts in Hard too. Some stupid transfers you need to learn too. Going from any chord to a G/O split sucks.

What is "alt strumming?"

I stopped playing the guitar part when Rock Band came out and switched to drums. Guitar is boring to me now. I realized, 20 years into my life, that I really liked drums. Too bad my parents would never let me have them in the house, or I could've been in a band (and maybe even gotten some girls!) in high school.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-23, 02:48 AM
Zeb: When I started playing I couldn't do Medium well. I could pass the easier songs, but the hard ones took many tries.

After I finally conquered GH II on medium I stepped up to hard. Learning to be able to shift my hand between index green and index red was the most difficult thing for me, followed by getting my pinky to work the way I wanted it to, followed by the basics of HO/POs.

Stepping up between Hard and Expert was less of a challenge for me. A majority of most songs are unchanged between these difficulties. Its just the fast/tricky parts get charted how they should be on expert. On Hard it will glaze over the fast/tricky with something easier.

Major obstacles in Expert? Probably just mastering HO/POs and getting your timing/rhythm correct. Learning when and how to alt strum and being able to transition into and out of it is another thing, though that starts in Hard too. Some stupid transfers you need to learn too. Going from any chord to a G/O split sucks.Yeah, I did pretty much the same thing, except that I wasn't able even dabble in hard until last year.

You're forgetting something else that makes Expert trickier than Hard, though, and that's the 3-note chords. Those kick my tail every time, especially when the three notes aren't adjacent. Even worse when the two adjacent notes are the pinky and ring finger (GYB or RBO).

Alt strum? What is this and why do I need it?

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:53 AM
Alt strum = strumming up/down/up/down/up/down instead of all down (like I do naturally) or all up (like my sister).

As for why? YouTube East Jesus Nowhere or Creep or, for a song on the disc, A Jagged Gorgeous Winter or Almost Easy. Or any number of songs that are slipping my mind at this moment. You will murder your arm trying to do these fast enough all one direction.

skywalker
2009-12-23, 02:54 AM
Alt strum = strumming up/down/up/down/up/down instead of all down (like I do naturally) or all up (like my sister).

As for why? YouTube East Jesus Nowhere or Creep or, for a song on the disc, A Jagged Gorgeous Winter or Almost Easy. Or any number of songs that are slipping my mind at this moment. You will murder your arm trying to do these fast enough all one direction.

Oh. I have been doing this for quite a while. It doesn't really help as much as I might like it to. Or maybe, I don't play often enough. No, it couldn't be that I don't practice enough. Not at all. Thanks for the explanation tho.

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:57 AM
I'm more accurate when I DON'T alt strum, but I murder myself. Everlong or any other chord-fest song will kill me if I don't alt strum. However, if I'm going for score, I subject myself to it for the points.

P.S. Am I allowed to thread-jack my own thread?

Riffington
2009-12-23, 08:04 AM

"A man, he ain't nothing but a man,

Before I'd let that steam drill beat me down,

Oh, I'd die with the hammer in my hand."

bosssmiley
2009-12-23, 09:34 AM
in my point of view, worldwide, the rankings work like this. (By worldwide I mean there are millions of people participating)

Top 10,000: You're very good
Top 1000: You're amazing
Top 100: Your skill level is unreal
Top 10: You're the best around
noone's gonna ever bring you down.

Wait, did you just Esposito-roll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qae_TUTeGo) the thread there? :smallconfused:

Zovc
2009-12-23, 11:58 AM
I think being the very worst (as in, ranked 100 out of 100) at something is pretty impressive.

GoC
2009-12-23, 05:32 PM

Not in what I'm world champion at! :smallbiggrin: