PDA

View Full Version : So, I just started DMing a war...

BarbarianNina
2009-12-22, 11:42 AM
We switch off who DMs. I was originally planning a relatively short palace-intrigue interlude in which the other two characters (a rogue and a bard) could be stealthy and social, while my barbarian hid in the corner. There was going to be a side plot in which Yuan-Ti invaded a provincial border area.

So, um, yeah... I didn't consider the fact that the PCs were entering the kingdom THROUGH the provincial borderlands, and that the humans there have a powerful sense of hospitality, and that the PCs would be grateful. Nor that the Tiefling would reveal his demonic nature, impressing the Yuan-Ti into trying to use him as an assassin and bragging about their plans. Now the PCs are determined to save the doomed Highlands from the Yuan-Ti invasion, and the Tiefling is developing what may become a father-son relationship with a local Clan chieftain who didn't originally have a first name.

The Yuan-Ti are smart, and they have been planning this invasion for years. They provoked the local Lord into attacking first, so that they can do a massive land-grab in the Highlands and then claim it was self-defense. They are technically outnumbered by the humans in the Highlands, but the humans include children, old men, and women (very, very few of whom can fight). The Yuan-Ti are currently using the non-fighting portion of their own population as a food source, so they aren't spending resources defending their own civilians. Meanwhile, they've successfully killed off about a third of the fighting humans in a massive ambush. They are also much more dangerous than humans. They do have a few weaknesses: they are deeply overconfident and proud of their superior intelligence; they are led by three Yuan-Ti who do not always agree; and their leaders are Lawful and Neutral, while most of the Yuan-Ti are Chaotic and a bit sick of taking so many orders.

The PCs are a small, level 8 party with above-average equipment. If they could fight the Yuan-Ti one at a time, they could take on any but the three ruling Abominations... but the Yuan-Ti aren't about to let that happen. I'm having a hard time imagining how the PCs could win this, but I don't want to make them massively fail, either. Should I go ahead and make them cut their losses, retreating as a rear guard for the refugee civilians, and then coming back to fight with reinforcements and additionally levels? I really hate to do that. Should I cut back the power level of the Yuan-Ti? I don't think they would have attacked yet if they weren't confident of victory. I'm thinking the PCs might fetch reinforcements, but that doesn't seem quite heroic enough for mid-level characters.

Also, does anyone have advice about running battles between humans (mostly fighters and barbarians) and Yuan-Ti (rangers, druids, and clerics, with a few fighters, rogues and sorcerers)? Or about running wars, in general?

Thrawn4
2009-12-22, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't let the players throw back the enemy forces on their own, as it would turn your campaign into a joke if you cherry-picked the fights in such a drastic manner. But there are a lot of things they can do instead.

They can scout ahead and search for safe escape routes, or attack the hostile scouts. They can also try to enforce the defenses at the same time by building new walls, deriving new tactis and persuading fugitives to stay. This could also do as a distraction for the enemy army which expects a longer siege or an ambush if done right. Of course it would be helpful to have an escape tunnel or something, with a daring escape ensuing.
Probably the best idea is to do it all at the same time, with the players deciding when they should abandon a strategy. For example, attacking the scouts is quite useful to slow down the enemies if they can't be sure whether or nor there is an ambush awaiting them. But at some point, they will enforce the scout teams to the point where they can easily take out the players. So it is up to them when they abandon this tatic and prepare the defenses or the flight.

You could give them credit for their successes in the form "Defense Points" or stuff, and if they have reached a certain amount in the end, you can present them a certain ending. Yeah, like mini-quests.

Asgardian
2009-12-22, 03:05 PM
Nor that the Tiefling would reveal his demonic nature, impressing the Yuan-Ti into trying to use him as an assassin and bragging about their plans. Now the PCs are determined to save the doomed Highlands from the Yuan-Ti

they are led by three Yuan-Ti who do not always agree; and their leaders are Lawful and Neutral, while most of the Yuan-Ti are Chaotic and a bit sick of taking so many orders.

Just reading that, it sounds like you have the beginnings of civil war amongst the Yuan ti if the players just "nudged" things in the right direction.
You've got a player with an "in" and it would give plenty of opportunity for stealth and social skills to be implemented

Surgo
2009-12-22, 03:13 PM
As far as "running a war" goes, there are simple and balanced rules for large-scale battles here (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Races_of_War_%283.5e_Sourcebook%29/The_Mass_Combat_Minigame). I imagine you'll have at least a couple of those in a war -- if you want to get your players involved in large-scale battles, at least. I couldn't tell if that's what you meant, or you meant more normal party vs party style things.

Thrawn4's advice is really neat. Write up a bunch of "ending scenarios/movies" ahead of time, and at the end of the day see how the PCs actions stack up against what would be required of all of them.

AslanCross
2009-12-22, 05:44 PM
Thrawn4's advice is really neat. Write up a bunch of "ending scenarios/movies" ahead of time, and at the end of the day see how the PCs actions stack up against what would be required of all of them.

This is pretty much the advice Heroes of Battle gives: Having the PCs deal with nitty-gritty logistics and tactics turns the game into an actual wargame. If the PCs are instead the focus of the outcome of each skirmish, fighting important missions such as assassinating enemy leaders, taking out supply lines, destroying bothersome defenses and/or siege works, they can rack up a certain amount of victory points that are necessary in determining the outcome of the battle.

Storm Bringer
2009-12-22, 06:38 PM
factionalise the yaun-ti.

mr. tiefling sweet talks one of the big three into hiring him as a helper, using a 'humans are doomed, I want in on the winning side' sorta approach.

due thier overconfidence, one of the leaders suffers a minor-ish setback (walked into a trap, lost some troops, etc). the player seizes of this as a way to drive a wedge between that leader and the others, working behind the scenes to make him seem imcompetant.

then, go to that scorned leader and offers to help him set up a big win to show the other two how good he really is. some sort of big, daring strike with most of his forces. somthing risky, but with a big reward. talk him into it, then sabotage it so he falls flat on his face, loosing status with the others and a large part of his manpower.

go to the other two and see if you cam talk them into getting rid of thier 'useless' third leader, in a 'for the greater good' sort of way. tip off the soon to be deposed leader. watch as the yaun-ti start ripping into each other.

the key to this is to make sure the yaun-ti are conviced that they can walk over the humans at any time. that they will win has to be an article of faith to them. they are assured victory over the humans, so they can concentrate on their own internal power struggles without comprimising their war effort. to that end, the humans need to spend most of the time either 'losing' or 'apprantly losing', with only a few victorys here and thier.