PDA

View Full Version : Edgeboy's New World

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 11:45 AM
Join me as I create my new world. You can add input, suggestions, and help to shape the new world of <yet to be named>

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 11:48 AM
Okay.
The first thing to do in my New World, is to decide the races. Well, this is a low-magic setting. Hmm....Difficult. Well, obviously humans. I do like dwarves, so they'll be in. But they'll be different.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 12:06 PM
I have dwarfs already thought out.

Dwarves

The dwarfs are highly respected by humans, as the dwarfs taught the barbaric human tribes how to forge weapons, how to build walls and settlements, and even how to channel magic.There are 3 main dwarf clans: One is a Mason/Smithing Clan, who lives underneath the mountains, so they can be close to their materials. There is a Warrior Clan, who have no central base, but are rather within every clan. Finally, there is a Knowledge/Farming Clan, who live in the hills and plains. They are the most open, and it is they who helped out the fledgling human race the most. It is very important for dwarfs to APPEAR honorable, but alot actually aren't (think DragonAge dwarfs, or Eragon dwarfs). The dwarfs feel paternal towards humans, and meddle in their affairs and politics when they make a decision that the dwarfs view as foolish or wrong. Also, dwarfs consider dwarf-made items to be "borrowed", no matter how much the person payed, or how long ago the transaction took place. In their minds, these items should be returned to their original makers. As such, most dwarfs will go to great lengths to insure that these items are returned, giving the dwarfs a general reputation of being "untrustworthy". Note: Not all of my dwarfs are great fighters, or great smiths, or grumpy and secretive. Each clan has its own general values. E.G, the Knowledge/Farming Clan are NOT Bruenor Battlehammers, or Gimli's just because they are dwarfs.

So, what do ya think?

Sanguine
2009-12-22, 12:17 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Hombrew forum?:smallconfused: Also you must have Halflings or Kender.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 01:59 PM
Ya well...I am posting the descriptions of those. And I didn't really know where to post, so I did it here. To make you happy, here's my halfling schtick:

My halflings are distinctly different. Halflings used to be very civilized, and are thought to be the most attuned to the winds of magic. The halflings loved to excavate ruins of ancient kingdoms, discovering many artifacts and items of magical power. Many halfling cities used to be located near ruins of older societies. But, no matter how powerful their magic, the barbarian humans and orcs overran them. With no place to call their own, and a sorely diminished and scattered population, the halflings slowly degraded into feral tribes, ambushing any who trespassed in their lands.

But a small number of Halfling Magi have managed to retain some of their humanity. They have dedicated their lives to protecting ancient magical artifacts, and trying to help their now feral kin. These halflings make themselves virtually undetectable, and they have been doing so since the rise of the elven empire.

How 'bout dat? Any thoughts?

SilverSheriff
2009-12-22, 02:06 PM
Your world is now shaped like a disc...it is situated on 4 Elephants which are, in turn, situated on the back of a Turtle.:smallamused:

Your world is now shaped.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 02:17 PM
Umm, okay then. How about....No f@#$ing way? My world is a sphere. Like earth and every other planet out there. Funny though. Nice avatars.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 02:18 PM
Seriously peoplez, any suggestions on things I should change about does 2 races?

SilverSheriff
2009-12-22, 02:20 PM
Umm, okay then. How about....No f@#$ing way? My world is a sphere. Like earth and every other planet out there. Funny though. Nice avatars.

what's wrong with Discworld (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld)? :smallfrown:

Ozreth
2009-12-22, 02:21 PM
Your world is now shaped like a disc...it is situated on 4 Elephants which are, in turn, situated on the back of a Turtle.:smallamused:

Your world is now shaped.

somebody is reading too much pratchett : P

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-22, 02:34 PM
I'd definitely play up the dwarves' paternalism towards humans. They taught them weapon smithing and how to build cities and civilizations.

To most dwarves humans are bound to look like giant blundering simpletons. Simpletons that don't even grasp the concept of ownership, at least by dwarven standards. I'd expect dwarves to be slightly haughty and condescending, but not necessarily unfriendly. Probably using small words when talking to humans, and talking slowly when trying to make a point.

I'd also expect them to meddle in human affairs allot, because humans are to shortsighted and naive to be left to their own devices.

As far as halflings go I'd definitely use them as a replacement for goblins. The orcs that invaded their lands are bound to use them as slave labor and their small stealthy nature is bound to complement the orcs' more brutal straight forwardness.

What else you got?:smallbiggrin:

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 02:46 PM
Thanks. K. I will edit the dwarfs part. But I do not want the arrogance, because that's my elves schtick.

Elves
The elves are arrogant, selfish, and view humans as inferior and bumbling. Whereas the dwarfs helped us to grow as a race, the elves shunned the humans, and oft raided us for building on their land, or for simply settling too close to their lands. Elves will readily kill any human who trespasses on their land, and only recently have started to trade with us. It is rumored that some of the more traditionalist elven houses keep human slaves. The elves also view dwarfs as slow, and lesser because they are not as refined as them, and helped the humans. The only race that the elves respect is the halflings, who showed both the elves and the dwarfs the ways of magic.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 03:05 PM
So, that's why the dwarfs are not arrogant, cos de elves are! I was always tired of those pointy-eared b@%^$#*s being so wonderful anyway. It's nice to make them mean.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 03:35 PM
Any thoughts? I said I could use suggestions, so please suggest away :belkar:

Thatguyoverther
2009-12-22, 03:46 PM
If you want the Elves to be mean evil nasty types I'd turn it up about four notches.

Maybe have the Elves be a remnant of an even bigger Eleven Empire that collapsed. Humans where kept as cattle, and dwarves where to few in number to do anything more than hold their own. Until the dwarves managed to stage a slave uprising and topple a large portion of the Elven kingdom.

Elves consider all humans to be little more than escaped property and believe that the entirety of human territory is theirs by right. Some of them might be old enough to remember the Elven Empire when it was at it's height. Allot of them are still bitter, and plan vengeance even after a thousand years. Think Post WWI Germany.

I'd also consider throwing in a demonic element, using human slaves for labor and as sacrifices.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 04:08 PM
Thanks! I will make some changes, but I do not want any race here to be evil. It's LOW fantasy.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 04:15 PM
Elves
The elves are arrogant, selfish, and view humans as inferior and bumbling. Whereas the dwarfs helped us to grow as a race, the elves shunned the humans and enslaved us. We were used as fodder in their wars with the dwarfs, and as builders of their cities. When the elven empire fell to the dwarfs, the humans were finally free. We eventually pushed them back from all open land, until they resided only in the deepest of forests. We now have a grudging peace with the elves, and they have only recently started to trade with us, though some young radicals have not accepted that the time of the elven empire is over, and launch raids. It is rumored that some of the more traditionalist elven houses keep human slaves. The elves also view dwarfs as slow, and lesser because they are not as refined as them, and helped the humans. The only race that the elves respect is the halflings, who showed both the elves and the dwarfs the ways of magic.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 04:26 PM
Thank youz! That's done. Also we gots goblins, who are basically tomb robbers, who hire themselves out as guides to those who seek treasure. Usually, once close to the treasure, the goblin will "accidentally" trigger a trap, leaving the loot all to him/herself. Goblins are very cunning, and have a powerful lust for gold. Goblins can also "smell" when an area has a high magical concentration.

There are also orcs, who are alot like World of Warcraft orcs, in that they have a deep sense of honor. They are not savage or dumb like DnD orcs, but are still overfond of war. Orcs recently have been working with humans, trading with them and even allying themselves with human kingdoms, in exchange for better weapons and armor. It is said that an orc would rather die a thousand deaths than break his/her word.

And......Ya. If there are elves, then there are half-elves. That's cool, cos I like half elves. There is also half-orcs I guess; I never liked half orcs.

Gnomes? HELL NO!!! I always hated those crazy inventors. I mean, come on! It's a medieval setting, and they invent stuff WAY too advanced. Plus, I always like halflings a hell of a lot better than crazed inventor midgets. No thanks.

Planetouched? Eh. I cannot really see a link for them, because there is no elemental planes in my world.

Tieflings? I don't know. I haven't decided if Demons fit into my world yet.

Any suggestions?

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 04:38 PM
Oh, also, my world DOES have magic items. They're just not as powerful as normal, or as common. There are gods in my world, but they are just not involved like in DnD. There is no divine magic. There is no psionic magic. It's all one source. Kinda like Eragon, in that everything has a name in an arcane language, but unlike Eragon, depending on how you conjugate the words, add prefixes, suffixes and the like, the spell reacts differently, so you still need spell slots. Example: if a mage casts a fireball spell on the fly, with no memorization, then it probably will act differently depending how he said it. If a spell is written down in a spellbook, then the mage would memorize it, and could use it for as long as he could. My magic system involves a caster being drained each time they use magic. If a mage casts lightning bolt, say 3 times, then he's going to be very drained and very tired. If he casts too many spells in a row (aka more spell than he's memorized) then he will pass out, or even die.

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 04:41 PM
Suggestions? Critiques? Thoughts? Comments?

SilverSheriff
2009-12-22, 05:16 PM
I suggest editing your posts instead of posting 4 in a row, thats what the button that says 'edit', next to the 'quote' button, is for.:smallannoyed:

edgeboy13
2009-12-22, 06:01 PM
Ah. Any thoughts on the races?

Inyssius Tor
2009-12-22, 06:16 PM
I like everything except the noble-savage orcs. Bleah.

So you don't have elemental planes, or equivalents, and you're not sure about demons? What is your world's cosmology like?

edgeboy13
2009-12-29, 11:01 AM
Erm, the what now? If you are talking about gods, yes, their is a panetheon and churches and temples and such, but the gods are largely impersonal, and do not get involved in the mortal world. Also, about my maguc schtick, scratch that. It's going to be like Wheel of Time: there is one arcane source, and you tap into it to control fire, water, earth, wind and void (aka spirit). NO divine magic source. That means that the cleric class must go. Eh. Also, because it is LOW magic, mages are not uncommon, but they have no true power (e.g, a mage cannot level a city with a single spell). To have a grasp of true power, you have to be born with it, or have someone who is born with it to teach you. To prevent an inlux of uber-mages, I'll say that only seven individuals have been born with this. Seven Arch Wizards. Ya, that makes sense.

On honorable savage-orcs, let me explain. An orc will never break his oath, and orcs are considered savage because much of their culture revolves around physical strength. For example, to be considered eligible to take a mate, both male orc and female orc MUST have killed at least three foes. Orcs also have a code when raiding: no rape, never kill children, and give a wounded enemy an honorable death.

I don't know about goblins though....I think my world is getting too crowded. What do you guys think? Cut goblins or no?

Salz
2009-12-29, 11:30 AM
But a small number of Halfling Magi have managed to retain some of their humanity.

This entertained me.

~~~

Also, because it is LOW magic, mages are not uncommon

You mean they are uncommon right?

bosssmiley
2009-12-29, 11:34 AM

When you can imagine anything you want why limit yourself to the mundane?

The Spelljammer setting had hollow, cubic and moebius planets, as well as one moon that was crescent shaped and a couple of planets that were collections of orbiting rocks in a surrounding atmosphere.

I know one guy whose game world is the shape of a d20, simply because that's the shape of the little globe he's made of it.

When presented with two options a courageous worldbuilder picks the wilder of the two, rationalising it later.

Another_Poet
2009-12-29, 12:11 PM
there is one arcane source, and you tap into it to control fire, water, earth, wind and void (aka spirit).

To me, this sounds boring. Once upon a time the ancient Greeks and most other Indo-European cultures beleved the world and its creatures to be made of a set of fundamental substances called elements. One Greek Philosopher, Empedocles, encoded these as fire, water, earth, and wind. Meanwhile hundreds of other philosophers continued rational discourse and came up with the concept of the "atom." One dark age, 2500 years and a few hundred bad theories later and we've got the periodic table.

So why does every anime, game setting, novel, cartoon and comic book decide to go with fire/eart/air/water and "something else"?? It's not new, cool, creative and it doesn't even make much sense. If you like an elemental system, why not grab from a different culture that hasn't been as widely exploited, er, *ahem* I mean overused? The Chinese elements are nice. The medieval Irish listed as many as 11 elements including grass and the sun and they treated rock as different than soil. Plus they have a cool system where each element corresponds to part of the human body or soul. You could rip off Secret of Mana and add Moon, Darkness, Light, and Plants as elements. You could go very primeval and have Fire and Ice as the only two elements. You could use the four seasons. You could foresake elements altogether and go for a different set of qualities that determine magic such as Changing, Preserving, Invoking, Banishing, Increasing, Depleting, Creation and Destruction. You could make up a set of magic laws.

You're making a whole world... you can do better than fire, water, earth, air and void.

Just my two crotchety cents :)

edgeboy13
2009-12-29, 12:24 PM
Fine. I am killing da goblins!!!!

:belkar::belkar:

<dying screams of innocent goblins>

Well, now that that's done.....My magic works LIKE Wheel of Time, not the exact same though, cos dat would be plagiarism. Like wheel of time, you have to reach out to the source, but it's the Winds of Magic, not the One Power. Also, magic drains you the more you use it, and demons (yes, they are finally in, I will elaborate on them later) can sense when someone is reaching into the Winds, and will sometimes even try to wrest control of the caster's mind. A mage whose mind has been possesed is dangerous indeed, but mercifully, their appearance begins to warp and change within an hour of possession, making it hard for a Possessed to hide among regular people.

edgeboy13
2009-12-29, 12:26 PM
To me, this sounds boring. Once upon a time the ancient Greeks and most other Indo-European cultures beleved the world and its creatures to be made of a set of fundamental substances called elements. One Greek Philosopher, Empedocles, encoded these as fire, water, earth, and wind. Meanwhile hundreds of other philosophers continued rational discourse and came up with the concept of the "atom." One dark age, 2500 years and a few hundred bad theories later and we've got the periodic table.

So why does every anime, game setting, novel, cartoon and comic book decide to go with fire/eart/air/water and "something else"?? It's not new, cool, creative and it doesn't even make much sense. If you like an elemental system, why not grab from a different culture that hasn't been as widely exploited, er, *ahem* I mean overused? The Chinese elements are nice. The medieval Irish listed as many as 11 elements including grass and the sun and they treated rock as different than soil. Plus they have a cool system where each element corresponds to part of the human body or soul. You could rip off Secret of Mana and add Moon, Darkness, Light, and Plants as elements. You could go very primeval and have Fire and Ice as the only two elements. You could use the four seasons. You could foresake elements altogether and go for a different set of qualities that determine magic such as Changing, Preserving, Invoking, Banishing, Increasing, Depleting, Creation and Destruction. You could make up a set of magic laws.

You're making a whole world... you can do better than fire, water, earth, air and void.

Just my two crotchety cents :)

Ooh! Kewl! I like! Elements are now: Earth, Fire, Water, Wind, Light, Darkness, Thunder, Wood, and Void. That's better!

edgeboy13
2009-12-29, 12:29 PM
This entertained me.

~~~

You mean they are uncommon right?

Yes, sorry, I my vocab is kinda out to lunch lately, but yes I do mean this. Also, I used "humanity" because i could not think of any other word.