PDA

View Full Version : Weapon in the Playground 2009/'10

Athaniar
2009-12-22, 12:51 PM
Please read the thread before posting. We are no longer in nomination, we are in the final round. Didn't you notice the thread has six pages? That usually means both nomination and Round 1 are long gone.

I really do enjoy these contests. This time, I've decided that we'll focus on weapons. Do nominate, but please read the rules first:

Basically, anything used to bring harm to something can be called a weapon. I'm going to be a bit more specific here.

First, the weapon must be designed to be wielded and used by a single individual. Second, the weapon must be unique. This also means no "indirect" weapons, such as the Atomic Football or a Death Note. This means it must be either created as a unique weapon or customized enough to such an extent that it can be considered unique.

EDIT: If you need a vehicle to use it, it DOES NOT comply with the rules!

Let's use Star Wars to show what I mean. A standard TIE Fighter fits neither criteria, being a mass-produced spaceship. The E-11 blaster rifle is hand-held, but hardly unique. The first Death Star is unique, but cannot be wielded one a personal scale. Palpatine's lightsaber, however, is both hand-held and (to my knowledge) unique.

Special exception: a pair of weapons meant to be used together (i.e. dual-wielded) is acceptable, as long as it meets the other rules (hand-held, uniqud). Example: the Twin Blades of Azzinoth (Warcraft).

Also note that weapons do not have to be fictional.

Any one forumite may nominate up to ten (10) weapons qualifying as per the rules above. Nomination will stop once 128 weapons (no more, no less) have been nominated. Voting will then begin.

Please, please use the same format as I use when nominating. It makes it easier for me. The format is Weapon (Franchise).

EDIT: If you do not state the franchise (or at least give some indication of the weapon's origin), the nomination will be disqualified.

List of Nominees (128/128):

#
88 magnum (Johnny Dangerously)

A
Aegis-Fang (Forgotten Realms)
Aeglos (Tolkien Mythos)
Anakin/Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber (Star Wars)
Anaris, the Blade of Dawn (Warhammer 40k)
Annihilator 2000 (Beverly Hills Cop)
Arm Cannon (Metroid)
ARMS Anti-Midian Cannon 'Harkonnen' (Hellsing)
Ashbringer (Warcraft)
Auto-9 (Robocop)

B
BANG! Harpoon Gun (DC)
Bardiche (Mahou Shoujo Lyrial Nanoha)
Batarang (Batman)
BFG 9000 (Doom)
Big Baby (Hellboy)
Biggoron's Sword (The Legend of Zelda)
The Black Axe of Gothmog (Tolkien Mythos)
The Boss's Customized Patriot Carbine (Metal Gear Solid)
Buster Sword (Final Fantasy)

C
Callahan Full-Bore Autolock "Vera" (Firefly)
Callandor (The Wheel of Time)
Captain America's Shield (Marvel)
Carsomyr the Holy Avenger (Forgotten Realms)
Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead 2)
Chewbacca's Bowcaster (Star Wars)
Cluivnarihe (Keychain of Creation)
Coinspinner (The Book of Swords)
Colada (El Cid)
The Colt (Supernatural)
The Core Drill (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Count Dooku's Lightsaber (Star Wars)
Cross-Punisher (Trigun)

D
The Divider (The First Law trilogy)
Domodred's Heron Mark Blade (Wheel of time)
Double Helix Blade (The Legend of Zelda)
Dragon Slayer (Berserk)
Durandal (The Song of Roland)

E
Excalibur (Arthurian Legend)
Excellion Blade (Beet the Vandel Buster)
The Eyelander (Team Fortress 2)

F
Frostmourne (Warcraft)

G
Gae Bolg (Irish Mythology)
Gladstone's Staff (Bartimaeus Trilogy)
Glamdring (Tolkien Mythos)
The Godspear of All-Searing Noon (Exalted)
The Golden Gun (James Bond)
Graf Eisen (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise)
Gravity Gun (Half Life 2)
Green Destiny (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)
Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick)
Grond (Tolkien Mythos)
Gungnir (Norse Mythology)
Gurthang (Tolkien Mythos)

H
Han Solo's Blastech DL-44 (Star Wars)
Harkonnen Cannon II (Hellsing)
The Heron Spear (The Second Apocalypse cycle)
Highlander's Katana (Highlander)
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (Monthy Python and the Holy Grail)
Hrunting (Beowulf)

I
Ice (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Ice 9 (Cat's Cradle)
Icingdeath (Forgotten Realms)
Iron Man's Repulsors (Iron Man)
Ivory and Ebony (Devil May Cry)

J
The Jackal/13mm Anti-Freak Handgun (Hellsing)
Jaws's Teeth (James Bond)

K
Kring (Discworld)
Kusanagi (Japanese Mythology)

L
Laevateinn (Norse Mythology)
Lance of Longinus (Christianity)
The Lassiter (Firefly)
The Lawn-Mower (Braindead/Dead Alive)
Longclaw (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Longicolnis (Tactics Ogre)

M
Mace Windu's (Purple) Lightsaber (Star Wars)
Macguffin (Deep Series)
The Male Choeden Kal (The Wheel of Time)
Masamune (Final Fantasy)
The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda)
Mjolnir (Norse Mythology)
Mournblade (Elric of Melnibone)
Murasame (Japanese Mythology)

N
Narsil/Anduril (Tolkien Mythos)
New Moon (Elfquest)

O
Oddjob's Hat (James Bond)
Omnisword (Final Fantasy)

P
Padan Fain's ruby dagger (The Wheel of Time)
The Piecemaker (Discworld)
Prince Nuada's Spear-Dagger (Hellboy)

Q
The Queen's Sword (ICO)

R
Rand's Heron Mark Blade (Wheel of Time)
The Reaper's Scythe (Folk Mythology)
Rebellion (Devil May Cry)
Ringil (Tolkien's Legendarium)
The Rod of Asmodeus (Dungeons & Dragons)
Ronon Dex's Particle Magnum (Stargate Atlantis)
Ruyi Jingu Bang (Chinese Mythology)

S
The Saint of Killers' Walker Colts (Preacher)
Sakabatō (Rurouni Kenshin)
Samaritan (Hellboy)
Sasha (Team Fortress 2)
The Scythe of the Slayer (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
The Seed (The First Law trilogy)
Shieldbreaker (The Book of Swords)
Silver Surfer's Board (Marvel)
Soul Edge (Soul Calibur)
Sparda/Force Edge (Devil May Cry)
Spider-Man's Web Shooters (Marvel)
Star Dragon Sword (Suikoden)
Stormbringer (Elric of Melnibone)
The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials)
Sunsword (Thundarr)
The Sword of Kas (Dungeons & Dragons)
The Sword of the Rivan King (The Belgariad)
The Sword of Shannara (Shannara)
The Sword in the Stone (Arthurian Legend)
The Sword of Truth (Seeker of Truth)

T
Kaos' Sword (Thief of Time)
Thorn (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)
Tizona (El Cid)
The Twin Blades of Azzinoth (Warcraft)
Twinkle (Forgotten Realms)

U
Ultimate Nullifier (Marvel)

V
Vajra (Hindu Mythology)
The Vorpal Blade (Jabberwocky)

W
Winona (Farscape)
Wonder Woman's Lasso (DC)

X
Xena's Chakram (Xena/Hercules)

First, my own votes:

Excalibur (Arthurian legend)
Frostmourne (Warcraft)
Ashbringer (Warcraft)
The Twin Blades of Azzinoth (Warcraft)
Grond (Tolkien Mythos)
Gurthang (Tolkien Mythos)
Mjolnir (Norse mythology)
The Golden Gun (James Bond)
Count Dooku's Lightsaber (Star Wars)
Green Destiny (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)

Nerd-o-rama
2009-12-22, 01:56 PM
Hm.

The Holy Avenger (Dungeons and Dragons) (not technically unique, but more than one would be a Monty Haul)
The Boss's Customized Patriot Carbine (Metal Gear Solid 3)
Graf Eisen (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise)
Laevateinn (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha franchise)

5/10 nominations

QUESTION! Wouldn't unique vehicles piloted by a single individual (to counter your TIE Fighter example, Darth Vader's TIE/In) qualify for this? If not, what about unique vehicle weapons like, say, the Colossal Blade from the Super Robot Wars series?

Eddums
2009-12-22, 02:15 PM
Glamdring (Tolkien Mythos)
Aeglos (Tolkien Mythos)
13mm Anti-Freak Handgun, aka the 'Jackal'. (Hellsing)

More to folllow. :smalltongue:

Athaniar
2009-12-22, 02:23 PM
The Holy Avenger (Dungeons and Dragons) (not technically unique, but more than one would be a Monty Haul)

"Not technically unique" isn't good enough. The Holy Avenger appears to be a type of weapon craftable by any mage-smith (unless the full book has more on the subject than the SRD does).

QUESTION! Wouldn't unique vehicles piloted by a single individual (to counter your TIE Fighter example, Darth Vader's TIE/In) qualify for this? If not, what about unique vehicle weapons like, say, the Colossal Blade from the Super Robot Wars series?
One of my main ideas with this is to avoid vehicles. Hence, "the weapon must be designed to be wielded and used by a single individual". If it's vehicle-mounted, it's hardly designed to be wielded and used by a single individual.

Joran
2009-12-22, 02:24 PM
Narsil/Anduril (Tolkien): Sword of Elendil, used by Isildur to cut the One Ring from Sauron's finger. Later reforged by the elves for Aragorn to signify the return of the King of Gondor.

Lance of Longinus (Holy Lance: Christian mythos): The spear that stabbed the side of Christ during the Crucifixion. It's used in various fictional applications as well.

Buster Sword (FFVII): Sure, it's the size of a freakin' bus, and surely, our spiky haired protagonist can't be compensating for something...

Masamune (FFVII): The sword longer than Sephiroth. Surely our long haired, bishonen can't be compensating for anything...

sakabatō (Rurouni Kenshin): Emblematic of the protagonist, this is a sword that has the blunt end on the front, and the sharp edge on the back to prevent him from killing anyone. On the other hand, it doesn't prevent him from beating the ever loving heck out of anyone he faces.

Cross-Punisher (Trigun): Seriously, it's a gigantic cross with a missile launcher on the back, a machine gun on the front, and a rack of pistols hidden with in it. It's legendary.

Monkey King's Staff Ruyi Jingu Bang: (Chinese mythology): It's made of black iron with two gold bands at the ends. It can shrink or expand as the wielder wishes and weighs 7.5 tons.

Oddjob's Hat: (James Bond): It's a hat that can slice off someone's head! Who throws a hat?!

Gungnir: (Norse mythology): It's Odin's spear, that never misses when thrown. It also ended up embedded in his side one time, which sucked.

Not sure if these are considered "unique", but they are iconic.

Gunblade (FFXIII): Combination of a gun and a sword... What could possibly go wrong?

Keyblade (Kingdom Hearts): Combination key and sword... What could possibly go wrong?

Athaniar
2009-12-22, 02:31 PM
Votes tallied.

Not sure if these are considered "unique", but they are iconic.

Gunblade (FFXIII): Combination of a gun and a sword... What could possibly go wrong?

Keyblade (Kingdom Hearts): Combination key and sword... What could possibly go wrong?
Is there only one of each? If so, they are unique. If not, they are not unique.

Joran
2009-12-22, 02:37 PM
Votes tallied.

Is there only one of each? If so, they are unique. If not, they are not unique.

In the latest Kingdom Hearts, everybody and their mother got keyblades, so technically no. But it's akin to lightsabers; they're iconic of the universe. Likewise with Squall; I think the main antagonist also has a gunblade.

ApeofLight
2009-12-22, 02:42 PM
Hmm... I suggest the Rod of the Monkey King.

Athaniar
2009-12-22, 02:44 PM
In the latest Kingdom Hearts, everybody and their mother got keyblades, so technically no. But it's akin to lightsabers; they're iconic of the universe. Likewise with Squall; I think the main antagonist also has a gunblade.
I might be horribly wrong on this, but isn't each lightsaber crafted by its user (unless it's inherited)? If that is the case with the keyblades or the gunblades, you are allowed to nominate specific instances of the weapons (X's Keyblade, Z's Gunblade...).

Zeta Kai
2009-12-22, 02:51 PM
The One Ring (Tolkien Mythos): Not exactly a weapon per se, but it can be used to rule the world. What more could you ask for in a weapon?

The Skywalker Lightsaber (Star Wars): The blue one that was lost on Bespin.

Little Boy & Fat Man (RL): A little big to be wielded personally, but for better or for worse, they are the greatest weapons that have ever been used in war.

Prince Nuada's Spear-Dagger (Hellboy II): I'm sure that it has a better name, but it escapes me at the moment.

Wolverine (X-Men): There's only one of him, & with a Fastball Special, Colossus can "wield" him quite effectively.

The Reaper (Folk Mythology): Death's scythe kills anyone that touches its blade.

The Rod of Asmodeus (D&D): If you ever see this coming at you, then abandon all hope.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-22, 02:54 PM
This is the centerpiece of my collection. I call her Vera!

mlkjhgfds
2009-12-22, 02:57 PM
The Vorpal Blade (Jabberwocky)

Murasame (jap story, FF series)

Gambit's cards if they qualify ? (X-men)

The Antlion Pheropode from half-life 2 ? edit - not unique;

Gordon Freeman's Crowbar ?

Also you can find Laevateinn in many games but originally it's from a norse legend, not a magical girl show

Exarch
2009-12-22, 03:13 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Caliburn (Arthurian Legend, the Sword in the Stone) or Gae Bolg (Irish mythology. Their stuff is nuts; DUDE PUNCHED THAT DUDES HEAD OFF!).

I'm trying really hard to think of something that starts with an X or Z. Or Y for that matter.

The Masamune is kind of weird, since it's in so many RPGs now and there is no real original other than what Masamune the swordsmith himself has made.

Edit: OH! How could I forget Callandor from the Wheel of Time? The sword of crystal, amplifies one's magical powers. And we all know magic is busted.

Dienekes
2009-12-22, 03:23 PM
Anton Chigurh's captive bolt pistol from No Country for Old Men (this probably doesn't count but it deserves mentioning, the item isn't unique but it's particular use is)
Gae Bolg from cuchulainn myth (aww Exarch, stole my thunder with my favorite spear)
Thunderbolts of Zeus, greek myth
Gungnir, Odin's spear, norse myth (not as glamorous as Mjollnir, but I like spears)
Medusa's Head, greek myth, a rather unique weapon.
The Black Axe of Gothmog, Silmarillion (It was used to kill Feanor, it'll always find a place on my list just for that)
BANG! Harpoon Gun, the Joker's gun, DC comics (I almost put down Laughing Gas but I don't think it can be wielded by a single individual, or at least, not in the way intended)
Master Sword, Legend of Zelda series
Soul Edge, Soul Caliber series
The Sword of Truth, Richard Dahl, Seeker of Truth series (heh, had to add the "Really Angry Sword" this is a joke, please affirm my faith in humanity and not vote for it)

Mercenary Pen
2009-12-22, 03:24 PM
The Lassiter (Firefly) being the first prototype laser pistol IIRC.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-12-22, 03:38 PM
Hehehehe...Vera FTW, seeing as it's been nominated.

I think that one good criterion is requiring the weapon to have a unique name, or a unique association with an individual. What we're going for is not just a unique weapon, but also a weapon with a mythos, an individual warrior's mythos.

Anyhow, seems the good ones are pretty much covered, but here's a couple from the Song of Ice and Fire series...

Ice, Eddard Stark's sword
Longclaw, Jon Snow's bastard sword

So that would be...
Ice (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Longclaw (A Song of Ice and Fire)

The_JJ
2009-12-22, 03:56 PM
The Piecemaker, Discworld

Kurien
2009-12-22, 04:54 PM
Icingdeath and Twinkle (Legend of Drizzt)
Ivory and Ebony (Devil May Cry)

Nerd-o-rama
2009-12-22, 05:20 PM
"Not technically unique" isn't good enough. The Holy Avenger appears to be a type of weapon craftable by any mage-smith (unless the full book has more on the subject than the SRD does).Well, everything's like that in 3.5 and 4th Ed. D&D, although I suppose you could heighten your restrictions to needing to be an Artifact in this case.

Although...come to think of it, there are singular, named, unique Holy Avengers, so let's disqualify my earlier entry and replace it with:

Carsomyr the Holy Avenger (Baldur's Gate 2)

One of my main ideas with this is to avoid vehicles. Hence, "the weapon must be designed to be wielded and used by a single individual". If it's vehicle-mounted, it's hardly designed to be wielded and used by a single individual.You and I have a very different definition of "single individual". You may want to say what you actually mean and add in the qualifier "on foot".

The Demented One
2009-12-22, 05:25 PM
The Godspear of All-Searing Noon (Exalted)

Cluivnarihe (Keychain of Creation)

The Eyelander (Team Fortress 2)

The Colt (Supernatural)

thompur
2009-12-22, 05:35 PM
The Scythe of the Slayer from season 7 of Buffy.
New Moon - Cutters sword from Elfquest.
Stormbringer - Elric of Melnibone.

Would the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Count?

Isak
2009-12-22, 05:45 PM
The Core Drill (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

While it's primary use is that of piloting Lagann, and thus, Gurren Lagann (And it's bigger cousins :smallbiggrin: ); It has been shown to be a very powerful, if unorthodox, weapon.

Simon did, after all... Deal a killing blow to Lord Genome with a single attack

mallorean_thug
2009-12-22, 05:45 PM
So, we need a little more epic fantasy in here:

The Male Choeden Kal(The Wheel of Time)
Callandor (The Wheel of Time)
Padan Fain's ruby dagger (The Wheel of Time)
The Heron Spear (The Second Apocalypse cycle)

And some less powerful anime/video game weapons:

Extra Long-Range Bombardment Firearm system for Localized defensive use "Harkonnen Cannon II" with explosive incendiary grenades for wide-area field dominance "Vladimir" (Hellsing)
The Lance of Loginus (Evangelion version)
The Queen's Sword (ICO/ unlock in Shadow of the Colossus)
The Dagger of Time (Prince of Persia)

Isak
2009-12-22, 05:47 PM
The Lance of Longinus (Evangelion version)

Not exactly hand held :smalleek:

The Lance, as it is in Evangelion, is a few hundred feet tall and can only be used by a similarly sized being. And once thrown, extends to be even LONGER...

mallorean_thug
2009-12-22, 06:00 PM
Does it have to be specifically hand held? I thought that it was just required to be, (quote)

"First, the weapon must be designed to be wielded and used by a single individual."

if that is the case, the Lance of Loginus can be wielded on a personal scale, albeit only while piloting a giant mecha. If that doesn't qualify, I will of course withdraw that nomination for another.

TheBST
2009-12-22, 06:36 PM
Sasha (Team Fortress 2)
Crowbar (Half Life)
Gravity Gun (Half Life 2)
Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead 2)
BFG 9000 (Doom)
Holy Hand Grenade (Monty Python and The Holy Grail)
Swordchucks (8 Bit Theater)

Seppl
2009-12-22, 06:52 PM
The gravity gun from Halflife 2. I'm not sure, but I think it is unique in the HL-Universe.

Mace Windu's purple lightsaber.

The teeth of the Jaws assassin from the James Bond movies.

Ultimate Nullifier from the Marvel universe.

Kaos' sword from T. Pratchett's Thief of time

Aegis Fang from the Drizzt saga.

Talkkno
2009-12-22, 07:08 PM
Anaris, the Blade of Dawn (Warhammer 40k)

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-22, 09:56 PM
Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick) My eyes must be failing today, because the only other option is that no one has nominated it yet, and that simply cannot be!
Chewie's Bowcaster (Star Wars) Built personally from a stormtrooper rifle. Also, it's a Crossbow that shoots lasers ((blah blah energy wrapped metal bolts blah)). Does it need any other explanation?
Gladstone's Staff (Bartimaeus Trilogy) Also known as awesome in a can. Or stick. Or... whatever.
Chekov's Gun (Star Trek) Okay, this one was for the lulz.

skywalker
2009-12-23, 01:47 AM
Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick) My eyes must be failing today, because the only other option is that no one has nominated it yet, and that simply cannot be!
Chewie's Bowcaster (Star Wars) Built personally from a stormtrooper rifle. Also, it's a Crossbow that shoots lasers ((blah blah energy wrapped metal bolts blah)). Does it need any other explanation?

I'll see your one bout of nerdrage, and raise another. How could we forget about:

Han Solo's Customized Blastech DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol (Star Wars). Although there are many, many DL-44s in the world, Han's is unique in having the scope and being carried by the man.

I also nominate:

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials).

Livor
2009-12-23, 02:21 AM
Winona (Farscape)

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-23, 05:55 AM
I'll see your one bout of nerdrage, and raise another. How could we forget about:

Han Solo's Customized Blastech DL-44 Heavy Blaster Pistol (Star Wars). Although there are many, many DL-44s in the world, Han's is unique in having the scope and being carried by the man.

I also nominate:

The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials).

Point. I was considering putting that in there, but I wasn't sure how 'unique' it was, compared to a normal DL-44.

Setra
2009-12-23, 06:15 AM
I'd like to nominate..

Dragon Slayer (Berserk)
Star Dragon Sword (Suikoden)

GreyVulpine
2009-12-23, 06:47 AM
Callahan full-bore autolock "Vera (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/lostncybr/Fire%20Fly/FireFly%20TV%20show/Jayne%20Cobb%20-%20Jayne/Jaynes%20TV%20Guns/Jaynes%20TV%20Vera/vera-large.jpg)" (Firefly)
Auto-9 (Robocop)
"Samaritan" or "Big Baby" (Hellboy)
"Annihilator 2000 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ies19ottlBU)" (Beverly Hills Cop III) - I'll laugh if anybody votes for this.
"The Sword of Kas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vecna#Sword_of_Kas)" (Dungeons and Dragons, all eds)
Ronon Dex's Particle Magnum (http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Particle_magnum) (Stargate Atlantis)
Sephiroth's Masamune nodachi (FFVII)

Brother Oni
2009-12-23, 07:59 AM
The Saint of Killers' pair of Walker Colt revolvers (Preacher).

Forged from the Angel of Death's sword, any blow stuck by them will be mortal.
He's used them to shoot tank crews while they're inside their tanks. :smallbiggrin:

Athaniar
2009-12-23, 09:33 AM
I have one thing to say that I did not think I needed to say:

READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Thank you. Also, I would really like it if you would point out non-qualifying nominees already on the list (I don't research every nomination, I tend to trust people around here).

Oh, and nominations tallied, of course.

mlkjhgfds
2009-12-23, 07:01 PM
Need more ?

Kusanagi (Jap legend)
Vajra (Hindu legend)
Mournblade (Elric of Melnibone)

Zocelot
2009-12-23, 07:13 PM
Power Suit (Metroid)

Lupy
2009-12-23, 07:21 PM
Rand's Heron mark blade (Wheel of Time)

Domodred's Heron mark blade (Wheel of time)

Thorn (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

The Sword of Shannara (Shannara)

Ringil (Tolkien's Legendarium)

thompur
2009-12-23, 11:14 PM
Captain America's Shield
Silver Surfer's Board
Spider-Man's web shooters
Wonder Woman's Lasso

grolim
2009-12-24, 08:22 AM
1. The Sword of the Rivan King, from the Belgariad

2. Batarang

3. Shakrum from Xena

4. Coinspinner from the Book of Swords

5. Shieldbreaker from the Book of Swords

6. Omnisword from Final Fantasy, 7 I think

7. Highlander's Katana

8. Iron man's suit

9. Sunsword from Thundarr

10. 88 magnum from Johnny Dangerously, it shoots through schools.

Joran
2009-12-24, 10:59 AM
Man, I can't believe I forgot this from Star Trek.

The Sword of Kahless: The first bat'leth, forged in the fires of a volcano from the hair of the blessed Kahless. Floating somewhere in space.

Athaniar
2009-12-24, 11:37 AM
Votes tallied, just 13 more weapons to be nominated before we can start. Also, I say this once again: please inform me if there are any nominees on the list who should not be there.

UnChosenOne
2009-12-24, 11:48 AM
Rebellion (Devil May Cry)

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-24, 11:58 AM
Roland St. Jude's Mighty Banhammer (Giant in the Playground Forums) That counts, right? :smalltongue:

It should be noted that the Samaritan and the Big Baby are two different weapons, the Samaritan being a large revolver... and the Big Baby being a larger revolver. You have them listed as one.

Athaniar
2009-12-24, 12:02 PM
It should be noted that the Samaritan and the Big Baby are two different weapons, the Samaritan being a large revolver... and the Big Baby being a larger revolver. You have them listed as one.

See, that's the sort of input I'm looking for.

golentan
2009-12-24, 12:20 PM
I second Simon's Core Drill.

I would also like to nominate the Macguffin from A Deepness in the Sky (or a Fire upon the Deep, It's one of the Deep novels by Vinge). That little cube thing. It was unique. It was wielded by a single individual. And it wiped out a post singularity threat (capable of slaughtering other post singularity beings by the dozens, no less) to the universe, and half of galactic civilization, in a single shot.

Obrysii
2009-12-24, 12:27 PM
Frostmourne (http://www.wowwiki.com/Frostmourne), Runeblade of the Lich King, Warcraft universe

Hrunting, Longsword from Beowulf

Glamdring, Gandalf's longsword.

UnChosenOne
2009-12-24, 12:33 PM
Obryysi: Frostmourne and Glamdring are allready in list.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-12-24, 12:36 PM
Kring: Annoying, sapient magical sword from the Discworld. (More specifically, from Colour of Magic)

Drascin
2009-12-24, 12:49 PM
With all the requisites, many things are rather excluded, and since what candidates from mythology I was going to mention have already been nominated, I only have one more candidate to suggest:

Bardiche, Intelligent Device, property of Fate Testarossa. From the show Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha. A magical staff/poleaxe that can turn into a laser scythe and then a BFS lightsaber. You really don't get much cooler than that, it's empirical fact :smallbiggrin:.

Athaniar
2009-12-24, 02:19 PM
Nominations tallied, 7 left.

UnChosenOne
2009-12-24, 02:25 PM
Sparda/Force Edge (Devil May Cry)

TheBST
2009-12-24, 03:36 PM
Ice 9 (Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut)
The Lawn-mower (Braindead / Dead Alive)
Power-loader (Aliens)

mlkjhgfds
2009-12-24, 05:38 PM
Aren't Excalibur and the Sword in the Stone the same ?

(or maybe Excalibur is the sword out of the stone :smalltongue:)

Brother Oni
2009-12-24, 05:48 PM
Power-loader (Aliens)

The Power Loader's disqualified according to the OP's rules as it's a mass produced vehicle (you can see two colonial marines using them to arm the drop ship in the background when Ripley is in the Sulaco's loading bay).

skywalker
2009-12-24, 06:08 PM
Point. I was considering putting that in there, but I wasn't sure how 'unique' it was, compared to a normal DL-44.

Well, I'm a "movie canon" type of guy, and you can see lots of DL-44s (or what can be assumed to be them, they're based off broomhandles and have the same basic shape) without the scope, etc.

If you want to go into the... more vague forms of canon, Han's is described as being "highly customized."

The_JJ
2009-12-24, 06:12 PM

Nope. Arthur loses the Sword from the Stone in a fight with... either Lancelot or the Black Knight. Then some watery tart lobs a scimitar at him.

Kurien
2009-12-24, 07:44 PM
Tizona (El Cid)
Colada (El Cid)
Xena's Chakram (Xena: Warrior Princess) Just noticed-- it's already nominated.
Biggoron's Sword (The Legend of Zelda)
Double Helix Blade (The Legend of Zelda)
Tetsusaiga (Inu Yasha)
Carrot's Sword (Discworld)
Death's Scythe (Discworld)
Space Sword (Avatar: the Last Airbender)
The Axe of Prissan (Goblins: Life Through Their Eyes)

Athaniar
2009-12-25, 07:06 AM
We now have 128 nominees, but I'm going to delay the start of Round 1 for a few hours so you nice Playgrounders can point out any "errors" on the list.

The Demented One
2009-12-25, 12:31 PM

Nope. Caliburn was the sword pulled from the stone; Excalibur was given to Arthur by the Lady in the Lake.

GreyVulpine
2009-12-25, 01:06 PM
One of my main ideas with this is to avoid vehicles. Hence, "the weapon must be designed to be wielded and used by a single individual". If it's vehicle-mounted, it's hardly designed to be wielded and used by a single individual.

With this in mind, should Iron man's suit and Metroid's suit still be considered a hand-held weapon, and not a weapon mounted on a mobile platform or vehicle? If we let those suits in, why not certain battlemechs/protomechs from Battletech, or Gundams, or other suit platforms?

Athaniar
2009-12-25, 05:05 PM
With this in mind, should Iron man's suit and Metroid's suit still be considered a hand-held weapon, and not a weapon mounted on a mobile platform or vehicle? If we let those suits in, why not certain battlemechs/protomechs from Battletech, or Gundams, or other suit platforms?

I'm not quite sure of this myself. Big mechs are large and vehicle-like, but Stark's and Samus's armors are more like standard equipment. Perhaps I should only allow the weapon part of each armor, like Samus's arm cannon?

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-25, 09:47 PM
Yeah, that's a good idea. I mean, compare Han's blaster to Iron Man's suit.
Han's blaster is a gun. It can shoot blaster bolts.
Iron Man's suit has repulsor rays, micro-missile launchers, precision guided shoulder guns, flamethrowers... It's a weapons platform, not a weapon itself.

grolim
2009-12-25, 10:28 PM
I kinda agree but I put it in because it fit the criteria of made for/ meant to be wielded or used by one person and it is unique. Sure, there are other mecha out there but how many were built expressly for the user and not a base design that was modded? Tony Stark specifically built it for himself only to use, though that was alot due to the only powersource for it is installed in his chest.

skywalker
2009-12-25, 11:01 PM
Yeah, that's a good idea. I mean, compare Han's blaster to Iron Man's suit.
Han's blaster is a gun. It can shoot blaster bolts.
Iron Man's suit has repulsor rays, micro-missile launchers, precision guided shoulder guns, flamethrowers... It's a weapons platform, not a weapon itself.

Well, you know, I don't particularly care about the powersof the various equipments, since from my perspective it didn't appear to be a vote on "who would win," but rather "who's coolest?"

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-25, 11:04 PM
You misunderstand me. I don't care about the power of the weapons either, especially when it's clear that something like Frostmourne or Mjolnir could beat the Greenhilt Sword any day.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-12-27, 01:49 AM
Icingdeath is listed under "F".

Athaniar
2009-12-27, 08:13 AM
Brief pre-game voting: should I allow whole power armors or just the weapon parts?

Also, yes, this is a popularity contest. All "in the Playground" contests are this, to my knowledge.

GreyVulpine
2009-12-27, 08:36 AM
Brief pre-game voting: should I allow whole power armors or just the weapon parts?

Also, yes, this is a popularity contest. All "in the Playground" contests are this, to my knowledge.

I'd say just the weapons. The Iron man's suit has that energy blast. The Metroid suit is a bit more difficult to narrow down, since it can be fitted to fire different weapons.

The Demented One
2009-12-27, 09:47 AM
I say let power armors in. They're iconic, and they fit most of the qualifications, really.

Joran
2009-12-27, 05:12 PM
I say let power armors in. They're iconic, and they fit most of the qualifications, really.

I'd vote against letting power armors in. I agree that they're iconic, but then we'll be one step removed from letting in Gundams or larger vehicles.

They're more than just weapons, they're also armor and transportation.

P.S. Is there anything special about Duncan MacLeod's katana? Does it have a name or something else that makes it unique?

P.S.S. Wonder Woman's Lasso belongs to the D.C. Universe.

Voldecanter
2009-12-27, 05:56 PM
What about the Rod of Balefire from the Wheel of time ? That is a very Devistating Weapon , I mean it could destroy everything in the Universe if in the proper hands ?

Or Callindar the sword that is not a sword

or even the keystones , I would consider those weapons ...and apparently they have the power to rival the creator .

mallorean_thug
2009-12-27, 09:03 PM
Ellardin, nominations are full unless weapons are disqualified and Callandor was already nominated, as was the Male Choedan Kal, which I believe you were referring to as a "keystone".

I would also be against letting power armor in. Besides the fact that it makes too close to much larger things with a very fine line, power armor is much harder to distinguish from the user, and thus harder to judge on its own merits. I mean, Iron Man basically is his power armor.

Athaniar
2009-12-29, 10:33 AM
Individual parts it is, then. Iron Man's energy blasters and Samus's arm cannon?

P.S. Is there anything special about Duncan MacLeod's katana? Does it have a name or something else that makes it unique?
No idea, I didn't nominate it.

Joran
2009-12-29, 02:12 PM
Individual parts it is, then. Iron Man's energy blasters and Samus's arm cannon?

I'd support Iron Man's repulsors and Samus' arm cannon.

Athaniar
2009-12-30, 05:36 PM
And so it shall be. I'll give you a few more hours to correct any errors on the list.

Athaniar
2009-12-31, 09:50 AM
Since everything appears to be fine, I will now start Round 1. You should know the rules by now: you may vote for one weapon in each group of eight, and the top weapon in each group goes through to Round 2. Round 1 is expected to end Tuesday January 5.

Supergroup 1

Group 1-1
Oddjob's Hat (James Bond) [4]
Stormbringer (Elric of Melnibone) [1]
Rand's Heron Mark Blade (Wheel of Time) [2]
The Colt (Supernatural) [1]
Sasha (Team Fortress 2) [7]
The Lassiter (Firefly)
Macguffin (Deep Series) [1]
Han Solo's Blastech DL-44 (Star Wars) [1]

Group 1-2
Shieldbreaker (The Book of Swords)
New Moon (Elfquest) [1]
The Sword of Shannara (Shannara) [1]
Arm Cannon (Metroid) [1]
Callahan Full-Bore Autolock "Vera" (Firefly) [8]
Ruyi Jingu Bang (Chinese Mythology)
Hrunting (Beowulf) [1]
Anakin/Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber (Star Wars) [5]

Group 1-3
Lance of Longinus (Christianity) [2]
Xena's Chakram (Xena/Hercules) [4]
Ringil (Tolkien Mythos) [1]
Gurthang (Tolkien Mythos) [2]
Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick) [5]
The Sword of the Rivan King (The Belgariad) [2]

Group 1-4
The Twin Blades of Azzinoth (Warcraft) [2]
The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials) [3]
Annihilator 2000 (Beverly Hills Cop)
Bardiche (Mahou Shoujo Lyrial Nanoha) [1]
The Black Axe of Gothmog (Tolkien Mythos) [4]
Callandor (The Wheel of Time) [3]
Winona (Farscape)
Count Dooku's Lightsaber (Star Wars) [2]

Supergroup 2

Group 2-1
Thorn (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn) [1]
Padan Fain's Ruby Dagger (The Wheel of Time) [2]
The Golden Gun (James Bond) [5]
Cross-Punisher (Trigun) [6]
The Piecemaker (Discworld) [3]
Auto-9 (Robocop)
The Boss's Customized Patriot Carbine (Metal Gear Solid)
Domodred's Heron Mark Blade (Wheel of time)

Group 2-2
Highlander's Katana (Highlander) [2]
Iron Man's Repulsors (Iron Man)
Mjolnir (Norse Mythology) [10]
Laevateinn (Norse Mythology)
BANG! Harpoon Gun (DC)
Mace Windu's (Purple) Lightsaber (Star Wars) [1]
The Jackal/13mm Anti-Freak Handgun (Hellsing) [1]
Gungnir (Norse Mythology) [2]

Group 2-3
Kring (Discworld)
Ashbringer (Warcraft)
Soul Edge (Soul Calibur)
The Eyelander (Team Fortress 2) [1]
Gae Bolg (Irish Mythology) [1]
Captain America's Shield (Marvel) [4]
Frostmourne (Warcraft) [8]
Samaritan (Hellboy) [1]

Group 2-4
Sakabatō (Rurouni Kenshin)
Prince Nuada's Spear-Dagger (Hellboy) [1]
The Sword of Kas (Dungeons & Dragons) [4]
The Scythe of the Slayer (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
Kusanagi (Japanese Mythology)
ARMS Anti-Midian Cannon 'Harkonnen' (Hellsing) [5]
Icingdeath (Forgotten Realms) [2]
Cluivnarihe (Keychain of Creation) [3]

Supergroup 3

Group 3-1
Star Dragon Sword (Suikoden) [1]
Batarang (Batman) [9]
Spider-Man's Web Shooters (Marvel) [1]
Biggoron's Sword (The Legend of Zelda) [2]
The Heron Spear (The Second Apocalypse cycle) [1]
Rebellion (Devil May Cry) [1]
The Sword of Truth (Seeker of Truth) [1]

Group 3-2
Buster Sword (Final Fantasy) [2]
The Queen's Sword (ICO) [1]
The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda) [9]
Aeglos (Tolkien Mythos) [3]
Ivory and Ebony (Devil May Cry) [1]
Chewbacca's Bowcaster (Star Wars) [1]
Ultimate Nullifier (Marvel)
Kaos' Sword (Thief of Time)

Group 3-3
Aegis-Fang (Forgotten Realms)
Mournblade (Elric of Melnibone) [1]
The Vorpal Blade (Jabberwocky) [3]
Tizona (El Cid) [1]
Vajra (Hindu Mythology)
Longclaw (A Song of Ice and Fire) [1]
Gravity Gun (Half-Life) [9]
Narsil/Anduril (Tolkien Mythos) [2]

Group 3-4
Ice 9 (Cat's Cradle) [1]
Anaris, the Blade of Dawn (Warhammer 40k) [1]
Coinspinner (The Book of Swords)
Masamune (Final Fantasy) [4]
Ice (A Song of Ice and Fire) [3]
The Saint of Killers' Walker Colts (Preacher)
Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead) [5]
Graf Eisen (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha) [1]

Supergroup 4

Group 4-1
88 Magnum (Johnny Dangerously)
Silver Surfer's Board (Marvel) [3]
Murasame (Japanese Mythology) [4]
The Male Choeden Kal (The Wheel of Time) [3]
Colada (El Cid) [1]
Twinkle (Forgotten Realms) [2]
The Lawn-Mower (Braindead/Dead Alive)
Jaws's Teeth (James Bond) [3]

Group 4-2
Dragon Slayer (Berserk) [1]
Gladstone's Staff (Bartimaeus Trilogy)
Wonder Woman's Lasso (DC)
The Godspear of All-Searing Noon (Exalted) [1]
Excalibur (Arthurian Legend) [3]
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (Monthy Python and the Holy Grail) [9]
Carsomyr the Holy Avenger (Forgotten Realms) [2]
Ronon Dex's Particle Magnum (Stargate Atlantis) [1]

Group 4-3
The Reaper's Scythe (Folk Mythology) [6]
Harkonnen Cannon II (Hellsing) [1]
Sparda/Force Edge (Devil May Cry) [1]
Sunsword (Thundarr)
The Rod of Asmodeus (Dungeons & Dragons) [1]
Grond (Tolkien Mythos) [5]
Big Baby (Hellboy) [4]

Group 4-4
Omnisword (Final Fantasy) [1]
The Sword in the Stone (Arthurian Legend)
BFG 9000 (Doom) [5]
The Core Drill (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann) [2]
Glamdring (Tolkien Mythos) [4]
Green Destiny (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) [3]
Double Helix Blade (The Legend of Zelda) [2]

Also, note that any weapon found to be in violation of the rules (at least in Round 1) will be immediately disqualified. If you have already voted for it, you may vote again in the same group.

mallorean_thug
2009-12-31, 10:30 AM
My votes are:
1.1 : Sasha
1.2 : Arm Cannon
1.3 : The Sword of the Rivan King
1.4 : Callandor

2.1 : Cross Punisher
2.2 : Gungnir
2.3 : Frostmourne
2.4 : ARMS Anti-Midian Cannon 'Harkonnen'

3.1 : The Heron Spear
3.2 : The Queen's Sword
3.3 : The Gravity Gun
3.4 : Masamune

4.1 : The Male Choeden Kal
4.2 : Excalibur
4.3 : The Reaper's Scythe
4.4 : Double Helix Sword

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-31, 10:43 AM
1.1 : Han Solo's Blastech DL-44
1.2 : Hrunting
1.3 : Greenhilt Sword
1.4 : Callandor

2.1 : The Golden Gun
2.2 : Mjolnir
2.3 : Frostmourne
2.4 : Nuada's Spear-Dagger

3.1 : Batarang
3.2 : The Master Sword
3.3 : The Vorpal Blade
3.4 : Masamune

4.1 : Murasame
4.2 : The Holy Handgrenade of Antioch
4.3 : The Big Baby
4.4 : Glamdring

UnChosenOne
2009-12-31, 12:47 PM
Group 1-1
Oddjob's Hat

Group 1-2
Anakin/Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber

Group 1-3

Greenhilt Sword

Group 1-4
The Black Axe of Gothmog

Group 2-1
The Golden Gun

Group 2-2
Mjolnir

Group 2-3
Frostmourne

Group 2-4
Icingdeath

Group 3-1
Rebellion

Group 3-2
Ivory and Ebony

Group 3-3
Mournblade

Group 3-4
Anaris, the Blade of Dawn

Group 4-1
Jaws's Teeth

Group 4-2
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

Group 4-3
Sparda/Force Edge

Group 4-4
BFG 9000

TheBST
2009-12-31, 12:50 PM
1-1: Sasha
1-2: Lightsaber

2-1: The Piecemaker

3-1: Batarang
3-2: Master Sword
3-3: Gravity Gun
3-4: Ice 9

4-2: Holy Hand Grenade
4-3: Reaper's Scythe
4-4: BFG-9000

GreyVulpine
2009-12-31, 01:11 PM
1-1 : Sasha
1-2 : Callahan Full-Bore Autolock "Vera"
1-3 : Xena's Chakram
1-4 : Count Dooku's Lightsaber

2-1 : The Golden Gun
2-2 : Mjolnir
2-3 : Samaritan
2-4 : ARMS Anti-Midian Cannon 'Harkonnen'

3-1 : The Sword of Truth
3-2 : Buster Sword
3-3 : Gravity Gun
3-4 : Masamune

4-1 : Twinkle
4-2 : Ronon Dex's Particle Magnum
4-3 : Big Baby
4-4 : BFG 9000

SlyGuyMcFly
2009-12-31, 01:21 PM
This is very nicely organized :smallsmile:

1-1 Sasha
1-2 Vera
1-3 Xena's Chakram
1-4 Bardiche

2-1 Cross-Punisher It's full of mercy.
2-2 Jackal/13mm
2-3 Frostmourne
2-4 ARMS "Harkonnen"

3-1 Batarang
3-2 Master Sword
3-3 The Vorpal Blade
3-4 Chainsaw Hand

4-1 Silver Surfer's Board
4-2 The Holy Hand Grenade
4-3 The Reaper's Scythe
4-4 BFG 9000

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-12-31, 03:44 PM
1.1: Rand's Heron Mark Blade
1.2: Vera...oh YEAH! (Shame it's up against Hrunting, though)
1.3: Gurthang!!! Most tragic and awesome weapon in the Tolkien mythos...
1.4: The Black Axe of Gothmog

2.1: The ruby dagger
2.2: The Purple Lightsaber of Samuel...er, Mace Windu
2.3: Captain America's Shield
2.4: Icingdeath

3.1: The Web-Shooters
3.2: Aiglos
3.3: Longclaw
3.4: Ice

4.1: Murasame (mythology)
4.2: The HOLY HAND GRENADE OF ANTIOCH!!! (Oh, I pity the poor weapon that must go up against this the first round)
4.3: GROND! GROND! GROND! GROND!
4.4: Glamdring (sorry, Green Destiny)

Remmirath
2009-12-31, 04:37 PM
Group 1-1: Stormbringer (Elric of Melnibone)
Group 1-2: Callahan Full-Bore Autolock "Vera" (Firefly)
Group 1-3: Ringil (Tolkien's Legendarium)
Group 1-4: The Black Axe of Gothmog (Tolkien Mythos)

Group 2-1: Padan Fain's ruby dagger (The Wheel of Time)
Group 2-2: Highlander's Katana (Highlander)
Group 2-3: No vote.
Group 2-4: The Sword of Kas (Dungeons & Dragons)

Group 3-1: No vote.
Group 3-2: Aeglos (Tolkien Mythos)
Group 3-3: Narsil/Anduril (Tolkien Mythos)
Group 3-4: No vote.

Group 4-1: The Male Choeden Kal (The Wheel of Time)
Group 4-2: Carsomyr the Holy Avenger (Forgotten Realms)
Group 4-3: Grond (Tolkien Mythos)
Group 4-4: Glamdring (Tolkien Mythos)

Kurien
2009-12-31, 10:52 PM
Supergroup 1

Group 1-1-- Sasha (Team Fortress 2)

Group 1-2-- New Moon (Elfquest)

Group 1-3-- Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick)

Group 1-4-- The Black Axe of Gothmog (Tolkien Mythos)

Supergroup 2

Group 2-1-- Cross-Punisher (Trigun)

Group 2-2-- Mjolnir (Norse Mythology)

Group 2-3-- Captain America's Shield (Marvel)

Group 2-4-- Cluivnarihe (Keychain of Creation)

Supergroup 3

Group 3-1-- Biggoron's Sword (The Legend of Zelda)

Group 3-2-- The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda)

Group 3-3-- Tizona (El Cid)

Group 3-4-- Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead 2)

Supergroup 4

Group 4-1-- Twinkle (Forgotten Realms)

Group 4-2-- Excalibur (Arthurian Legend)

Group 4-3-- The Reaper's Scythe (Folk Mythology)

Group 4-4-- The Core Drill (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

Athaniar
2010-01-01, 09:45 AM
Votes tallied.

The Demented One
2010-01-01, 05:23 PM
1.1: The Colt
1.2: Vera
1.3: The Lance of Longinus
1.4: The Subtle Knife

2.1: The Piecemaker
2.2: Mjolnr
2.3: Gae Bolg
2.4: Cluivnarihe

3.1: Batarang
3.2: The Master Sword
3.3: The Vorpal Blade
3.4: Chainsaw Hand

4.1: Murasame
4.2: The Godspear
4.3: Big Baby
4.4: Green Destiny

Blas_de_Lezo
2010-01-03, 05:44 AM
Here we go! :smallbiggrin:

1.1 : Glamdring (Tolkien Mythos)
1.2 : The Black Axe of Gothmog
1.3 : Dragon Slayer (Berserk)
1.4 : Captain America's Shield (Marvel)

2.1 : Colada (Cid)
2.2 : Durandal (The Song of Roland)
2.3 : Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick)
2.4 : Gael Bog (Celtic)

3.1 : Tizona (Cid)
3.2 : Excalibur (Arthurian)
3.3 : Gungnir (Norse Mythology)
3.4 : Han Solo's Blastech DL-44 (Star Wars)

4.1 : Jaws's Teeth (James Bond)
4.2 : The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda)
4.3 : Hrunting (Beowulf)
4.4 : Masamune

Setra
2010-01-03, 06:21 AM
Group 1-1 - Sasha (Team Fortress 2)
Group 1-2 - Anakin/Luke Skywalker's Lightsaber (Star Wars)
Group 1-3 - Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick)
Group 1-4 - The Twin Blades of Azzinoth (Warcraft)

Group 2-1 - Cross-Punisher (Trigun)
Group 2-2 - Gungnir (Norse Mythology)
Group 2-3 - Frostmourne (Warcraft)
Group 2-4 - ARMS Anti-Midian Cannon 'Harkonnen' (Hellsing)

Group 3-1 - Star Dragon Sword (Suikoden)
Group 3-2 - Buster Sword (Final Fantasy)
Group 3-3 - Gravity Gun (Half Life 2)
Group 3-4 - Graf Eisen (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)

Group 4-1 - Murasame (Japanese Mythology)
Group 4-2 - Dragon Slayer (Berserk) (I know I will be the only one to vote for this :smallfrown: To be put in there with Excalibur and the Holy Hand Grenade..)
Group 4-3 - Harkonnen Cannon II
Group 4-4 - Green Destiny (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon)

Don Julio Anejo
2010-01-03, 06:21 AM
1.1 : The hat
1.2 : "Vera"
1.3 : Lance of Longinus

2.1 : The Golden Gun
2.2 : Highlander's Katana
2.3 : Captain America's Shield

3.1 : Batarang
3.2 : Chewie's Bowcaster
3.3 : Gravy Gun

4.1 : Colada
4.2 : Carsomyr
4.3 : Grond
4.4 : BFG over 9000

Athaniar
2010-01-03, 10:58 AM
Votes tallied. Well, most of them...

Here we go! :smallbiggrin:

1.1 : Glamdring (Tolkien Mythos)
1.2 : The Black Axe of Gothmog
1.3 : Dragon Slayer (Berserk)
1.4 : Captain America's Shield (Marvel)

2.1 : Colada (Cid)
2.2 : Durandal (The Song of Roland)
2.3 : Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick)
2.4 : Gael Bog (Celtic)

3.1 : Tizona (Cid)
3.2 : Excalibur (Arthurian)
3.3 : Gungnir (Norse Mythology)
3.4 : Han Solo's Blastech DL-44 (Star Wars)

4.1 : Jaws's Teeth (James Bond)
4.2 : The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda)
4.3 : Hrunting (Beowulf)
4.4 : Masamune

I'm not going to tally those until you put them in the correct order.

Lupy
2010-01-03, 03:49 PM
1.1 Rand's Heron Mark Blade (Wheel of Time)

1.2 The Sword of Shannara

1.3 Gurthang (Tolkien Mythos)

1.4 Callandor (The Wheel of Time)

2.1 Thorn (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

2.2 Mjolnir (Norse Mythology)

2.3 Frostmourne (Warcraft)

2.4 The Sword of Kas (Dungeons & Dragons)

3.1 Batarang (Batman)

3.2 Aeglos (Tolkien Mythos)

3.3 Narsil/Anduril (Tolkien Mythos)

3.4 Ice (A Song of Ice and Fire)

1.1 The Male Choeden Kal (The Wheel of Time)

1.2 Excalibur (Arthurian Legend)

1.3 Grond (Tolkien Mythos)

1.4 Glamdring (Tolkien Mythos)

golentan
2010-01-03, 04:03 PM
Group 1-1 Macguffin (Deep Series)
Group 1-2 Callahan Full-Bore Autolock "Vera" (Firefly)
Group 1-3 The Sword of the Rivan King (The Belgariad)
Group 1-4 The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials)

Group 2-1 Cross-Punisher (Trigun)
Group 2-2 Mjolnir (Norse Mythology)
Group 2-3 Frostmourne (Warcraft)
Group 2-4 Cluivnarihe (Keychain of Creation)

Group 3-1 Batarang (Batman)
Group 3-2 The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda)
Group 3-3 Gravity Gun (Half-Life)
Group 3-4 Ice (A Song of Ice and Fire)

Group 4-1 Jaws's Teeth (James Bond)
Group 4-2 The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (Monthy Python and the Holy Grail)
Group 4-3 The Reaper's Scythe (Folk Mythology)
Group 4-4 The Core Drill (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)

Joran
2010-01-03, 11:30 PM
Group 1:

1-1: Oddjob's Hat: Very distinctive, everyone remembers the scene where he cuts off the statue's head
1-2: Anakin/Luke's lightsaber: A weapon for a more civilized time
1-3: Xena's Chakram: Aye aye aye aye!
1-4: The Subtle Knife: Cuts through any material and can cut portals into alternate worlds. Plus it maims its user!

Group 2:

2-1: Cross-Punisher: It's a machine gun, rocket launcher, a rack of pistols and is the size of a man!
2-2: Mjolnir: Very distinctive, more so than Odin's Spear.
2-3: Captain America's Shield: Iconic.
2-4: Harkonnen: When I first saw it, I was awestruck. Then it fired.

Group 3:

3-1: Batarang: Also iconic.
3-2: The Master Sword: Iconic in video games
3-3: Gravity gun: I had many a fun time with this gun.
3-4: Weak field, I'll go with...: Masamune

Group 4:

4-1: Another weak field: Silver Surfer's Board
4-2: Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: Awesome!
4-3: Big Baby: You made him cry!
4-4: Omnisword: Why have 1 sword when you can have 6!

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-03, 11:37 PM
Group 1:
1-1: Sasha
1-2: Callahan Full-Bore Autolock
1-3: Greenhilt Sword
1-4: Count Dooku's Lightsaber

Group 2:
2-1: The Piecemaker
2-2: Mjolnir
2-3: The Eyelander
2-4: The Sword of Kas

Group 3:
3-1: Batarang
3-2: The Master Sword
3-3: Gravity Gun
3-4: Chainsaw Hand

Group 4:
4-1: Silver Surfer's Board
4-2: The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
4-3: The Rod of Asmodeus
4-4: Double Helix Blade

Athaniar
2010-01-04, 01:01 PM
Votes tallied.

Athaniar
2010-01-06, 01:35 PM
Oh, right, Round 2. But not yet. First, Endgame! There are groups which are yet to be decided. You may now vote again in these groups, and the first vote to balance a group in favor of one nominee decides that group's outcome. The Endgame is over when all groups have been decided.

There are two pairings in this endgame:

Masamune (Final Fantasy) vs Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead)
and
The Reaper's Scythe (Folk Mythology) vs Grond (Tolkien Mythos)

The first one who votes will decide! Note: you do not have to vote for both, or any at all. Nothing in this contest forces you to vote.

EDIT: Wasn't there a vote here yesterday? Well, since it isn't here now, the Endgame is still open.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-07, 07:22 PM
Group 1 - Chainsaw Hand
Group 2 - The Reaper's Scythe

Athaniar
2010-01-08, 08:57 AM
Excellent. Here is Round 2 (ends January 13):

Supergroup 1
Callahan Full-Bore Autolock "Vera" (Firefly) [8] vs Sasha (Team Fortress 2) [5]

Greenhilt Sword (Order of the Stick) [7] vs The Black Axe of Gothmog (Tolkien Mythos) [7]

Supergroup 2
Mjolnir (Norse Mythology) [12] vs Frostmourne (Warcraft) [3]

ARMS Anti-Midian Cannon 'Harkonnen' (Hellsing) [3] vs Cross-Punisher (Trigun) [6]

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life) [10] vs Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead) [5]

Batarang (Batman) [3] vs The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda) [9]

Supergroup 4
Murasame (Japanese Mythology) [1] vs The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (Monthy Python and the Holy Grail) [14]

The Reaper's Scythe (Folk Mythology) [8] vs BFG 9000 (Doom) [6]

UnChosenOne
2010-01-08, 09:13 AM
Supergroup 1
Sasha (Team Fortress 2)

Supergroup 2
Frostmourne (Warcraft)

Supergroup 3
Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead)
Batarang (Batman)

Supergroup 4
BFG 9000 (Doom)

TheBST
2010-01-08, 11:19 AM
1: Sasha
Greenhilt Sword

2: Mjolnir
Cross-Punisher

3: Chainsaw Hand
Master Sword

4: Holy Hand Grenade
BFG 9000

golentan
2010-01-08, 11:29 AM
It's sad. Some of my favorites were eliminated right off the block. Oh well.

Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Cross-Punisher (Trigun)

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

Supergroup 4

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-01-08, 11:51 AM
Supergroup 1
Sasha (Team Fortress 2)

And

Supergroup 2
Mjolnir (Norse Mythology) [I]

and

Cross-Punisher (Trigun)

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

and

Supergroup 4

and

Remmirath
2010-01-08, 02:31 PM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2
no vote

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)
no vote

Supergroup 4
BFG 9000 (Doom)

The Demented One
2010-01-08, 02:52 PM
1.1: Vera
1.2: Greenhilt Sword

2.1: Mjolnr
2.2: Cross-Punisher

3.1: Chainsaw Hand
3.2: Master Sword

4.1: Holy Hand Grenade
4.2: BFG 9000

Joran
2010-01-08, 02:57 PM
1-1: Sasha: "She weighs one hundred fifty kilograms and fires two hundred dollar, custom-tooled cartridges at ten thousand rounds per minute. It costs four hundred thousand dollars to fire this weapon... for twelve seconds."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHgZh4GV9G0

1-2: Greenhilt Sword: This is the OotS forum after all

2-1: Mjolnir: Hammer of Thor, everyone knows Thor, everyone knows his hammer.

2-2: Cross-Punisher: It's three weapons in one!

http://crimsonsguns.tripod.com/wolfwood_7_07.jpg

3-1: Gravity Gun: It's not just a weapon in of itself. It makes normal stuff like sawblades, barrels, crates into weapons!

3-2: Batarang: Tough matchup, but I associate Link more with his shield than his sword. The sword is too plain.

4-1: Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch: It's one of the best scenes in Monty Python!

4-2: Reaper's Scythe: Somehow it turned a normal farming implement into a menancing symbol of death.

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-01-08, 03:45 PM
Supergroup 1
Gotta go with Vera. "Six men came to kill me. One of 'em was holding this gun."

The Black Axe of Gothmog. An axe of darkness, wielded by a creature of fire and shadow...sorry, Roy.

Supergroup 2
Mjolnir is just classic.

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun

Master Sword

Supergroup 4
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch will prevail again!

The Reaper's Scythe

Dienekes
2010-01-08, 04:02 PM
Group 1
The Black Axe of Gothmog (Tolkien Mythos) [I honestly didn't expect this thing to make it past the first round when I suggested it]

Supergroup 2
Mjolnir (Norse Mythology) [This needs more mythological weaponry]
[I don't really care about these two]

Supergroup 3
Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead) [groovy]
[and I can't decide between these]

Supergroup 4
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (Monthy Python and the Holy Grail) [blow Thine enemies into tiny bits, in Thy mercy]

Hardcore
2010-01-08, 04:20 PM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

Supergroup 4

BFG 9000 (Doom)

skywalker
2010-01-08, 10:14 PM
I vote for Narsil, and Captain America's shield. They got robbed!

GreyVulpine
2010-01-09, 03:45 AM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

Batarang (Batman)

Supergroup 4

BFG 9000 (Doom)

Seppl
2010-01-09, 08:42 AM
Supergroup 1
Callahan Full-Bore Autolock "Vera"
The Black Axe of Gothmog

Supergroup 2
Frostmourne
no vote

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun
The Master Sword

Supergroup 4
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch
The Reaper's Scythe

Lupy
2010-01-09, 10:13 PM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda) [1]

Supergroup 4
Murasame (Japanese Mythology)

Athaniar
2010-01-10, 02:41 PM
Votes tallied (finally).

Also, because I am in no way impartial, here is a desperate attempt to make you Mjolnir fans change your opinions: Frostmourne awesomeness!

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/9/9a/Frostmourne_in_the_Halls_of_Reflection.jpg
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/c/c0/Arthas_Cinematic.png
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/1/14/NEWFrostmourne_wc3.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/b/b0/WotLKArthasPose.jpg

Kurien
2010-01-11, 08:46 PM
Supergroup 1
Sasha (Team Fortress 2) [4]

Supergroup 2
Cross-Punisher (Trigun)

Supergroup 3
Chainsaw Hand (Evil Dead)

Supergroup 4

Pfft. Frostmourne? I have no idea of it's power level, but it looks bulky, unrealistic and what are those projections above the crossguard?

Athaniar
2010-01-12, 06:17 AM
Votes tallied.

Pfft. Frostmourne? I have no idea of it's power level, but it looks bulky, unrealistic and what are those projections above the crossguard?

Warcraft weapons are powered by the Rule of Cool. See also: Thunderfury, Ashbringer, the Warglaives of Azzinoth, the majority of high-level weapon in World of Warcraft.

Also, Forstmourne's power level, in (sort of) D&D terms:

In Manual of Monsters, Frostmourne is a unique and indestructible item — an artifact-level bastard sword with the following abilities: an increased chance to hit, increased damage, an increased chance of scoring a critical hit, an increased attack speed, the ability to strike incorporeal creatures as though they were fully corporeal, the ability to cause bleeding wounds and reduce the victim's stamina, bonus damage against good-aligned beings, bonus damage against living beings, and a life-draining effect that heals its wielder when he deals damage.

Plus, it is has the ability to steal souls; but its real purpose is to corrupt the wielder (read: Arthas) as part of the Lich King's Xanatos Gambit.

Lupy
2010-01-13, 07:20 PM
Votes tallied (finally).

Also, because I am in no way impartial, here is a desperate attempt to make you Mjolnir fans change your opinions: Frostmourne awesomeness!

Mjolnir is the hammer of the gods man.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-01-13, 07:56 PM

Another crossguard. Because two crossguards are better than one.

Athaniar
2010-01-14, 03:48 AM
Congratulations, guys, you broke Frostmourne (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/b/ba/Icecrown_Wallpaper.jpg).

Ehm, anyway, it's endgame. The Greenhilt Sword or Gothmog's Axe? Whoever votes first decides!

golentan
2010-01-14, 03:49 AM
Gothmog's axe.

And good riddens to frostmourne. The masses have spoken.

Athaniar
2010-01-14, 05:06 AM
Guess that means it's time for Round 3, which will end on January 19.

Supergroup 1
Callahan Full-Bore Autolock "Vera" (Firefly) [5] vs The Black Axe of Gothmog (Tolkien Mythos) [8]

Supergroup 2
Mjolnir (Norse Mythology) [12] vs Cross-Punisher (Trigun) [1]

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life) [5] vs The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda) [8]

Supergroup 4
The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (Monthy Python and the Holy Grail) [9] vs The Reaper's Scythe (Folk Mythology) [4]
Next year, Playground. Frostmourne hungers for revenge...

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-01-14, 05:56 AM
1: Vera
2: Cross-Punisher
3: Master Sword
4: Reaper's scythe

Eldan
2010-01-14, 06:20 AM
1: Black Axe of Gothmog
2: Mjölnir
3: Gravity Gun
4: The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

Dienekes
2010-01-14, 09:00 AM
The Black Axe of Gothmog

Mjolner

Master Sword

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

Comet
2010-01-14, 09:53 AM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Supergroup 3

Supergroup 4

Soepvork
2010-01-14, 11:25 AM
Vera
Mjolnir
Master Sword
The Reaper's Scythe

golentan
2010-01-14, 12:11 PM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

Supergroup 4

Remmirath
2010-01-14, 01:57 PM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

Supergroup 4

UnChosenOne
2010-01-14, 02:13 PM

Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

Athaniar
2010-01-14, 02:39 PM
Votes tallied.

TheBST
2010-01-14, 03:35 PM
Black Axe
Mjolnir
Master Sword
Holy Hand Grenade

Kurien
2010-01-14, 04:50 PM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Supergroup 3
The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda) [5]

Supergroup 4
The Reaper's Scythe (Folk Mythology) [2]

What is the power level of The Black Axe of Gothmog?

Lupy
2010-01-14, 05:41 PM

GreyVulpine
2010-01-16, 08:22 AM
Supergroup 1

Supergroup 2

Supergroup 3
Gravity Gun (Half-Life)

Supergroup 4

Athaniar
2010-01-16, 11:22 AM
What is the power level of The Black Axe of Gothmog?

I don't think it was ever stated to have any specific powers. However, it is very important to remember that this is a popularity contest, not a "who would win?" contest.

Athaniar
2010-01-19, 02:56 PM
What, we're here already? Ehm, I mean Round 4, Semifinals! Ends January 24.

Mjolnir (Norse Mythology) [6]
vs
The Black Axe of Gothmog (Tolkien Mythos) [2]

The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch (Monthy Python and the Holy Grail) [3]
vs
The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda) [4]

Remmirath
2010-01-19, 03:04 PM

Lupy
2010-01-19, 03:17 PM
Mjlonir

The master sword

golentan
2010-01-19, 03:35 PM
Mjolnir

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

TheBST
2010-01-19, 05:09 PM
Mjolnir

Master Sword

Soepvork
2010-01-19, 06:18 PM
Mjolnir and Master Sword

Kurien
2010-01-19, 06:23 PM
Mjolnir and Master Sword

Athaniar
2010-01-20, 11:18 AM
Votes tallied.

UnChosenOne
2010-01-20, 11:37 AM

Athaniar
2010-01-26, 02:25 AM
Oh, right, the final. Well, without further ado:

Mjolnir (Norse Mythology) [7]
vs
The Master Sword (Legend of Zelda) [4]

If I don't forget about it again, it ends January 31.

golentan
2010-01-26, 03:14 AM
Mjolnir FTW.

Though I might actually be willing to pit Link w/ MS versus Thor w/ Hammer. Link's beaten up gods, god killing monstrosities, and the like with the aid of solely his trusty blade. Okay, and an arsenal that would make batman blush.

Teutonic Knight
2010-01-26, 03:53 AM
Master Sword, I'd have to say.

Just cause it can destroy evil. Mjolnir can only destroy what Thor makes it. Plus Mjolnir was destroyed (probably) in Ragnarok, while the Master Sword withstands multiple uses by people named Link.

Temotei
2010-01-26, 03:58 AM
Buster sword, durandal, mjolnir, omnisword.

Seriously. The omnisword is a must. :smallamused:

Buster sword just because it's so huge.

The others because of their myths.

Soepvork
2010-01-26, 04:35 AM
Master Sword all the way!

Athaniar
2010-01-26, 04:36 AM
Votes tallied.

Buster sword, durandal, mjolnir, omnisword.

Seriously. The omnisword is a must. :smallamused:

Buster sword just because it's so huge.

The others because of their myths.

Mjolnir is the only one of those actually in the final. You wanna vote for it or not?

Temotei
2010-01-26, 04:39 AM
Votes tallied.

Mjolnir is the only one of those actually in the final. You wanna vote for it or not?

Sure? :smallconfused:

Athaniar
2010-01-26, 04:44 AM
Sure? :smallconfused:

What's confusing? There are two weapons in the final round: Mjolnir and the Master Sword. You started mentioning four random weapons like this is some kind of second nomination round. This is the final. Mjolnir and the Master Sword are the only weapons you can vote for.

Temotei
2010-01-26, 04:46 AM
What's confusing? There are two weapons in the final round: Mjolnir and the Master Sword. You started mentioning four random weapons like this is some kind of second nomination round. This is the final. Mjolnir and the Master Sword are the only weapons you can vote for.

Yeah. I missed that. I only read the first post. :smallamused:

Mjolnir it is, because the master sword is overrated. It's great, but I like having a better history than "defeated Ganon(dorf) several times."

Killer Angel
2010-01-26, 06:01 AM
I saw the thread only now, but not so late for not voting.
Mjolnir. Thor rulez!

TheBST
2010-01-26, 06:31 AM
Master Sword

Kurien
2010-01-26, 10:05 AM
Master Sword

Bagelz
2010-01-26, 10:20 AM
i'd like to write-in vote or nominate
Samuel Colt's revolver from Supernatural AKA "The Colt"
"The Glaive" from the movie Krull (a five pointed throwable disc)

Kurien
2010-01-26, 10:25 AM
Sorry, but we are way past the nominating stage. This is the finals. Vote for Master Sword!

UnChosenOne
2010-01-26, 10:46 AM
I vote for Mjöllnir.

Athaniar
2010-01-26, 11:54 AM
You'd think people would realize that a thread that's on its sixth page isn't in nomination anymore (if they for some reason don't check what's on the last page before posting), but no...

Also, votes tallied.

Lupy
2010-01-26, 07:12 PM
Mjolnir!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0b/Thor_by_Johannes_Gehrts.jpg

Temotei
2010-01-26, 07:14 PM
You'd think people would realize that a thread that's on its sixth page isn't in nomination anymore (if they for some reason don't check what's on the last page before posting), but no...

Also, votes tallied.

Edit your first post.

UnChosenOne
2010-01-27, 12:27 AM
Edit your first post.
What you think that he meant by this.

List of Nominees (128/128):

To me this looks like extremely clear way to pointout that you can't nominate anymore.

Temotei
2010-01-27, 01:07 AM
What you think that he meant by this.

To me this looks like extremely clear way to pointout that you can't nominate anymore.

I wasn't nominating. I was voting. The first post has no hints at all to tell that we're in the finals. It just says the nominees, and lists his votes.

Eldan
2010-01-27, 04:33 AM
Mjöllnir!

Tenchar!

UnChosenOne
2010-01-27, 05:12 AM
I wasn't nominating. I was voting. The first post has no hints at all to tell that we're in the finals. It just says the nominees, and lists his votes.

My mistake then. But it causes rise of question: why you didn't read fith page. It shouldn't be so hard to miss Lord Xavius post where he present the voting choises.

horngeek
2010-01-27, 05:15 AM
Mjolnir.

Definitely.

Athaniar
2010-01-27, 05:18 AM
If you think it will help, I'll edit the first post. Still think you should read the thread itself before posting, though, not just the first post.

Also, votes tallied.

GreyVulpine
2010-01-27, 07:09 AM
+1 for Mjolnir.

Temotei
2010-01-27, 10:03 PM
If you think it will help, I'll edit the first post. Still think you should read the thread itself before posting, though, not just the first post.

Also, votes tallied.

I didn't have the time. :smallannoyed: :smallsigh:

Dienekes
2010-01-27, 10:31 PM
Oh Black Axe of Gothmog, you got farther than I ever imagined.

To the vote, Mjollner. Thunder hammer is just cooler than an odd looking sword of time.

Lord of Syntax
2010-01-28, 01:40 AM
Moljner, so much.

Athaniar
2010-01-31, 11:33 AM
By quite a large margin, the winner is Mjolnir!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Mjollnir.png

Now, just give me a few several minutes hours days to think of a concept for the next contest...

Lupy
2010-01-31, 05:36 PM
Woo! Mjolnir! Go Thor! :smallbiggrin:

Temotei
2010-02-03, 03:29 AM
Woot. :smallcool:

Master sword deserves to be thrown back into that ripoff of a sword in the stone concept...sword in the pedestal.