PDA

View Full Version : Is their knowladge of the rules natural of learned?

Gamerlord
2009-12-22, 02:43 PM
By this I mean, do the people in this web comic naturally know the rules to D&D (AoO,feats, etc.) or did they learn it over time? Roy apparently had to learn the AoO rules in fighter collage or whatever it was called, and yet, they seemed to almost instantly know the rules to 3.5 after converting from 3.0. Maybe I just am taking this comic too seriously....

silversaraph
2009-12-22, 02:53 PM
You're taking this just as too seriously as the rest of us. I personally think that everyone knows the basic rules of what you can and can't do, but the monster manual, for example, is not memorized.

Just my 50 bucks.

Edit: Haha! I ninjad!

bluewind95
2009-12-22, 02:54 PM
I think it's a mix of both. Maybe they know the basic rules naturally, but the ways in which they apply are learned.

Edit: EEK! A NINJA! :smalleek:

Gamerlord
2009-12-22, 03:03 PM
That makes sense, they know what a D20 does, but it takes some time to figure out what great cleave does (Probably figured out by some scientists and then taught at that fighter collage.)

Ehra
2009-12-22, 03:24 PM
I'd assume most is learned. We saw Kubota taking a peak at the DM guide (I think that's what it was, anyway), after all.

Random832
2009-12-22, 04:09 PM
I'd assume most is learned. We saw Kubota taking a peak at the DM guide (I think that's what it was, anyway), after all.

It was a fourth edition book - so he would have advance knowledge and be able to prepare for an edition change, rather than waiting until everyone suddenly learns the new rules when it happens.

Remember, Elan knew he'd be getting more skill points right after the edition change happened.

However... we've also seen non-core books being used (by Redcloak, for instance - or Elan learning his third-party PrC), and a reference to Celia not being able to find the entry for 'Human' in the Monster Manual.

Larkspur
2009-12-22, 04:34 PM
It's both. The rules control their world, so I think they have a natural understanding of things like turn lengths, their personal stats and HP in the same way we have a natural understanding of gravity and our own endurance.

But it's not absolute- it took people a while to catch onto complicated things like the new attack of opportunity rules when the edition switched, and obviously they refer to the Monster Manual.

I think the basic principle is, if it's a physical law of the game they understand it through trial and error in infancy, the same way we found out about gravity by repeatedly dropping our pacifiers, but everything else they have to look up.