PDA

View Full Version : Easy Question for the Internet Explorer geeks:

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-22, 04:37 PM
At least I hope it's an easy one, but for whatever reason, I'm baffled.

I used to be able to hover over a link, and get a pop-up box telling me where the link would lead to, but now that doesn't work anymore. I'm using IE 8, Version 8.0.6001.18702.

How do I turn this back on?

Oh, and I have used Firefox, and yes I like it. But let's just fix THIS problem. And by fix, I don't mean install Firefox. :smallwink:

Hadessniper
2009-12-22, 04:45 PM
Internet Explorer geek is an oxymoron.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-23, 03:31 AM
Internet Explorer geek is an oxymoron.

No answer, just a snarky coment.

Why am I not suprised? :smallannoyed:

Well? Anybody else? I'm sure it's just a setting problem, but I can't seem to find the correct check box or radio button...

Gaelbert
2009-12-23, 03:37 AM
I'll give it a shot. Is the box in the lower left hand corner? Or is it directly over the link?

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-23, 03:57 AM
I'll give it a shot. Is the box in the lower left hand corner? Or is it directly over the link?

It used to be over the link, but not anymore.

Gaelbert
2009-12-23, 04:17 AM
The version of Internet Explorer I have does not have an option to create a hovering link. However, I am running an old version so it's entirely possible it's something different now.
Sorry for the fail. :smallannoyed:

Thajocoth
2009-12-23, 04:32 AM
I use FF, but, if I remember right, you can access a whole slew of settings by entering about:config into the address bar. I think... But there's a lot in there, if I'm right, that you can really screw up. Not, like, registry-level can-screw up, but more so than any normal settings would allow.

If I'm wrong, then about:config works in FF, which would be completely useless to you. I've only used it to get browsers to stop resizing my images automatically just because they don't fit in the window.

Reinboom
2009-12-23, 06:29 AM
That sounds more like a website using the 'title' attribute, or possibly even IE misusing it, than an actual missing feature.

Searching and testing with IE seems to produce the same result for me.

Go to:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200412/the_alt_and_title_attributes/
and hover your mouse over the "How to specify alternate text." (not that far down the page, should be the second major link in the contents themselves).

Is that the kind of hover you are looking for?
P.S. do us developers a favor and please don't use IE. =P Just saying.

Irbis
2009-12-23, 06:43 AM
At least I hope it's an easy one, but for whatever reason, I'm baffled.

I used to be able to hover over a link, and get a pop-up box telling me where the link would lead to, but now that doesn't work anymore. I'm using IE 8, Version 8.0.6001.18702

Can you give us example of page where this worked?

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-23, 08:10 AM
Can you give us example of page where this worked?

Well, it used to work right here at GiantITP...

If someone includes a link to a comic but uses some sort of text over it like:

Roy falling to his death. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html)

The link would show the actual comic web address of:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0443.html

in the pop-up box. Or if someone is once again pretending to be a bank (oddly enough, they never pick the bank I actually use) but their link directs me to an ID stealiong site, I can tell when the hover link tells me it's a Geocities page or something like that.

Firestar27
2009-12-23, 06:14 PM
Oh, and I have used Firefox, and yes I like it. But let's just fix THIS problem. And by fix, I don't mean install Firefox. :smallwink:

Well, if you don't want to install Firefox, you *can* install Google Chrome. :smalltongue:

And it is possible that the new version of IE doesn't have that feature anymore. I don't know if it does or doesn't, but it's a possibility to consider.
Anyway, I'm sure there's an add-on you can get to fix tha-oh... whoops...

SilverSheriff
2009-12-23, 06:28 PM
instead it comes up in the bottom left corner of the Internet Explorer window.

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-12-23, 09:28 PM
instead it comes up in the bottom left corner of the Internet Explorer window.

No, it doesn't come up there either...
In fact, I don't have the bottom bar on this version of IE. I don't mind not having the bar, a netbook has so little screen real estate to begin with. That's why I liked the "pop up" info. When someone puts a Link to "V's Real Gender, with PROOF by Rich!" and the link is actually to "Rickroll_and ID_Theft.com" I know NOT to click on that link...