PDA

View Full Version : Spellcarved Soldier (3.5)

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-22, 04:56 PM
I like the concept, I like...3/5 of the abilities, and I like the flavor, but what do you guys think. It seems underpowered, but I don't mind.

Yuki Akuma
2009-12-22, 04:57 PM
...What book is it in and for that matter what game are you talking about?

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-22, 05:00 PM
sorry, D&D, Races of Eberron.

Optimystik
2009-12-22, 05:02 PM
I only have one thing to say:

"Thou shalt not lose caster levels."

mostlyharmful
2009-12-22, 05:18 PM
I only have one thing to say:

"Thou shalt not lose caster levels."

As a PC, however as an NPC organisation/antagonist it's pretty good. not a walk over anad with some fun abilities to pull out of the hat.

Optimystik
2009-12-22, 05:29 PM
As a PC, however as an NPC organisation/antagonist it's pretty good. not a walk over anad with some fun abilities to pull out of the hat.

When someone asks "what do you think of X class" I generally assume they are approaching that class as a player rather than as a DM.

SS gives up a whopping 5 caster levels for benefits that the right spells could easily duplicate. Do not want.

UglyPanda
2009-12-22, 05:37 PM
Looking over the class, you aren't really getting anything out of it.

You get the ability to carve runes into yourself. At level four, you can have two runes at a time.

The runes, according to level gained:
1: One spell or infusion cast on you is auto-extended. One! A cheap metamagic rod gives you three!
2: +2 on saves for mind-affecting effects or effects that directly affect your armor. Weak but not horrible.
3: Equivalent to heavy fortification armor ability.
4: You can wear three rings at a time and something else involving robes. There's a typo there, so I can't figure it out. Kinda stupid, since artificers can wear four rings just by taking a feat. Having this rune allows Spellcarved Soldier levels to count as caster levels, but not for spells known or anything good.
5: DR 5/Magic - Why, just why? Level 12 and you're getting 5/magic!? It's such a disappointing capstone.

The class is just bad. You're best off staying as a Warforged Artificer. Hell, the fluff is almost the same.

AslanCross
2009-12-22, 05:52 PM
Yeah, it's pretty underwhelming in general. It's a shame too, because the art was kinda cool.

Beelzebub1111
2009-12-22, 06:19 PM
Yeah, it's pretty underwhelming in general. It's a shame too, because the art was kinda cool.
I guess that is what kind of drew me into it...

taltamir
2009-12-22, 10:43 PM
Looking over the class, you aren't really getting anything out of it.

You get the ability to carve runes into yourself. At level four, you can have two runes at a time.

The runes, according to level gained:
1: One spell or infusion cast on you is auto-extended. One! A cheap metamagic rod gives you three!
2: +2 on saves for mind-affecting effects or effects that directly affect your armor. Weak but not horrible.
3: Equivalent to heavy fortification armor ability.
4: You can wear three rings at a time and something else involving robes. There's a typo there, so I can't figure it out. Kinda stupid, since artificers can wear four rings just by taking a feat. Having this rune allows Spellcarved Soldier levels to count as caster levels, but not for spells known or anything good.
5: DR 5/Magic - Why, just why? Level 12 and you're getting 5/magic!? It's such a disappointing capstone.

The class is just bad. You're best off staying as a Warforged Artificer. Hell, the fluff is almost the same.

wow, WOTC works really hard trying to make classes that sound cool and are almost as weak as the commoner...
We have the monk, the psiblade, the spellcarved warrior, the CW samurai, the true namer...
Why WOTC? why?