PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Granting Feats? [3.5]

Fortuna
2009-12-22, 05:48 PM
How much would a magic item that granted a bonus feat cost, assuming that you have to meet the prerequisites to use it, and that removal of the item loses the feat?

Roland St. Jude
2009-12-22, 06:09 PM
It depends on the feat.

arguskos
2009-12-22, 06:18 PM
It depends on the feat.
STILL FREAKING ME OUT MAN.

Also, there are other issues. The feat in question, what happens if you qualify for something with the feat, can you qualify for PrCs with it? Too many issues, too much potential for abuse. I'd say pass.

Keld Denar
2009-12-22, 06:21 PM
Some guides are the Ioun Stone that grants Alertness, the Rod in MIC that grants Precise Shot and a few others.

It depends on whether or not its slotted, or slotless. I'd imagine it should also have something to do with how effective the feat is.

Fortuna
2009-12-22, 06:43 PM
Great. A friend of mine is looking into playing a diviner/artificer kind of role, involving no less than 3 homebrewed prestige classes, and he wants a hard'n'fast number for it. I'll just eyeball each one as it comes along. Thanks!

The Glyphstone
2009-12-22, 06:44 PM
Great. A friend of mine is looking into playing a diviner/artificer kind of role, involving no less than 3 homebrewed prestige classes, and he wants a hard'n'fast number for it. I'll just eyeball each one as it comes along. Thanks!

Yeah, I think you're going to have bigger balancing issues than feats granted by items at that point. Good luck.

Fortuna
2009-12-22, 06:46 PM
Oh? Like what?

UglyPanda
2009-12-22, 06:49 PM
The homebrew for one thing. And then he's making custom magic items.

He might have wanted to know so that he can try to qualify for Prestige Classes by using items rather than feats.

That player is going to be at least a handful if not a headache.

The Glyphstone
2009-12-22, 06:54 PM
Pretty much....at least for me, 'Homebrew prestige class' sets off immediate warning bells, and adding 'multiple' upgrades them to air-raid klaxons. It'll be enough work making sure one such class is balanced, let alone three...and if he's trying to buy his way into them with custom feat-granting items, the problems are compounded.

BenTheJester
2009-12-22, 07:12 PM
The homebrew for one thing. And then he's making custom magic items.

He might have wanted to know so that he can try to qualify for Prestige Classes by using items rather than feats.

Not more than you can qualify with an attribute-enhancing item on a PrC requiring a certain attribute.

Fortuna
2009-12-22, 07:17 PM
Thankfully, he will be essentially playing the role of party buffer via magic items. He has assured me repeatedly that he is past his powergaming phase. That said, I will be keeping an eye on him.

Grumman
2009-12-22, 07:27 PM
Some weak feats like Iron Will or Agile Athlete are effectively costed at 3,000 gp by special locations (you visit the site, do some encounters, and you get the feat instead of 3,000 gp worth of treasure).

Crafty Cultist
2009-12-22, 07:30 PM
The arms and equipment guide says that 10000gp+5000gp per feat required as a prerequisite is a good base for feat granting magic item

deuxhero
2009-12-22, 07:52 PM
Someone deconstructed the costs from a lot of items and put them on some comcast page (I assume it's free hosting they had access to)... At least my recalling part of domain name will help search for it.

edit:and it doesn't give me it.

Evard
2009-12-22, 11:45 PM
I vote for making them items at the beginning of your dungeons or any other place the party are going into, maybe stones...make it a give and take system where you gain 1 feat of your choosing (must meet prerequisites) but you suffer a -1 to something (or you cant perform a certain action? like you cant pull levers or cant use magic devices).

tyckspoon
2009-12-22, 11:57 PM
Some weak feats like Iron Will or Agile Athlete are effectively costed at 3,000 gp by special locations (you visit the site, do some encounters, and you get the feat instead of 3,000 gp worth of treasure).

Some other feats can also be effectively priced by the formulas for stat-raising items; something that granted Dodge (probably the #1 candidate for buying your way past if possible) would be "AC Bonus- Other", so 2,500 GP base price. Then adjust up/down for the fact that Dodge still sucks and the significant value you gain by not having to use an actual feat choice on it.