PDA

View Full Version : Journey to the Center of the Mind [3.5]

Fortuna
2009-12-22, 06:45 PM
Yet another bizarre question from me. How would you guys stat/run someone using magic to do this? We've done it once, and I basically improvised, but I would like ideas on relatively solid rules which can be adapted to different minds fairly quickly.

If I keep this up, I'll get a name as the guy who posts the most bizarre questions ever.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-23, 12:01 AM
There is an 8th level spell in Manual of the Planes (formally an epic spell) that planeshifts people to the dreamscape plane, which, to be fair, is a little ill-defined in 3.5. It's a start, at least.

Haven
2009-12-23, 12:02 AM
Use rules as if you were on the Astral Plane. Int is Str, Wis is Dex, etc.

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 12:23 AM
Although that is an excellent idea, I would really love to be able to have them meaningfully impact on the mind, and vice versa, rather than having it just be a slightly different astral plane.

arguskos
2009-12-23, 12:29 AM
Well, the Plane of Dreams is basically a realm of dreamscapes, which are landscapes created by dreaming people. Theoretically, going in and changing those dreamscapes would alter the person some, since they'd wake up with that dream having happened... in their head. That'd mess someone up I'd think.

Fishy
2009-12-23, 12:43 AM
Heroes of Horror has the Dream Walk line of spells, and a few interesting ideas on how to DM a session that occurs inside of someone else's subconsious. Highly recommended.

Eberron has Dal Quor, the Plane of Dreams, and while I'm sure there are interesting rules and ideas for this, I don't remember where they actually are.

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 12:43 AM
Any ideas for how to put that consistently in rules? Like "Dealing X damage to Y point deals Z Charisma damage" or similar?

arguskos
2009-12-23, 12:47 AM
Any ideas for how to put that consistently in rules? Like "Dealing X damage to Y point deals Z Charisma damage" or similar?
Just say they are affected by a nightmare (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/nightmare.htm) spell they can't save against.

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 12:48 AM
Excellent. Thank you very much.

Coidzor
2009-12-23, 01:51 AM
We think you might be better off conceptualizing/dealing with it from a quest perspective/Victory Point-esque system rather than a pure mechanics perspective. Or possibly both.

bosssmiley
2009-12-23, 09:19 AM
Use rules as if you were on the Astral Plane. Int is Str, Wis is Dex, etc.

This + Psychonauts = win.