PDA

View Full Version : Daelkyr Half-Blood

Paganboy28
2009-12-22, 07:18 PM
Opinions on this as a race?

What class would they best suit?

What are their long term prospects like as a playable character?

AslanCross
2009-12-22, 09:36 PM
They seem very basic as a race despite their Aberration type. Darkvision is always good, and the lack of ability penalties or bonuses makes them do well in practically any class. I always found the symbionts cute additions to your character's repertoire.

mabriss lethe
2009-12-22, 09:44 PM
I've used them as a DM to pretty good effect, though never had the opportunity to play one.

Kyeudo
2009-12-22, 09:46 PM
Opinions on this as a race?

Awesome.

What class would they best suit?

Something that gets up close an personal with enemies. Rogue, Fighter, Barbarian, etc. The better symbionts are all more useful for melee types, not casters or ranged combatants.

What are their long term prospects like as a playable character?

As long as no one is specifically out to kill your personal symbiont and you have the Con score to grow a new one in an emergency, they should be fine in the long run.

mabriss lethe
2009-12-22, 10:04 PM
The tentacle whip is actually pretty good for casters since you can use it to channel touch spells

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-23, 12:04 AM
For me its always been wizards and rangers... or atleast wizard rangers... ive played three of them and they where all some sort of caster/range that went into impure prince... as that prestige class kicks so much butt.

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-23, 08:36 AM
They do get cool aberration shapes from taking Alter Self.

Fishy
2009-12-23, 12:02 PM
Symbionts are nifty, especially when you start thinking about Share Spells and spells like Produce Flame.

This is the kind of thinking that gets books thrown at you, but hey.

Paganboy28
2009-12-23, 12:43 PM
How about this as a concept?

A half-daelkyr aberration druid? Does that work? Could you have aberration wild-shape from the start?

or an Aberrant familiar from the start?

How do symbionts work in terms of actions? Do they get their own? I am confused as reading from the text it would appear they use your own actions for not very good effects...

Spellwurm seems really weak, stormwurm even more so. Standard action to deal 1d6 damage.....

Have I read this wrong?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-23, 12:46 PM
they get there own actions unless there using there attack...

and its 1d6 and a -2 dex for a minute on the winter one.
There is a stat penaly on most of them.

AslanCross
2009-12-23, 06:03 PM
Ragnarok is correct. The Symbionts don't lose their own actions, but they act on their host's turn. They're still their own creatures that happen to be stuck to you.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-23, 06:10 PM
thats what is great about impure prince... is that you can have two symbiots plus a familar... and when you cast alter self or polymorph they all change... which can get pritty awsome.

Paganboy28
2009-12-24, 01:43 PM
Ok two things:

1) I like the idea of the "impure prince". ranger or druid i guess druid is the obvious answer.

Though ranger would be good concept wise.

2) So symbionts still get to attack by themselves but they do so at your initiative?

So if I have say 3 stormstalks, then i could make 3 stormstalk attacks plus my own?

Coidzor
2009-12-24, 04:31 PM
If you can have 3 storm stalks. Is like the mechanic that has familiars and animal companions act on your turn in the initiative order.

Can't recall if cohorts do the same or if they are demi-character enough to have their own init.

Ranger or druid depends on what you want to eventually end up doing with it, really. If ranger might consider the mystic or wildshaping flavors. Wildshaping ranger is better suited to a master of many forms or other shape-changing focused build than druid, since it doesn't lose as much in the way of casting that a full caster would.

Keld Denar
2009-12-24, 04:48 PM
Suel Arcanamach + Impure Prince is a pretty awesome combo. You don't really have to worry AS MUCH about the loss of caster levels, since SA only has 10 total.

You could go 1/2 Blood Duskblade3/Hexblade3/Suel4/IP5/AbjChamp5 or similar. You'd end up with 13/10 Spellcasting progression which wouldn't affect your spells, but would still add to your Caster Level, which is good. Abj Champ is just too good to not take.