PDA

View Full Version : could we see a Scribble prequel?

Acero
2009-12-22, 07:28 PM
now that it appears we will learn a lot more about The Order of the Scribble, does anyone else see another prequel book coming our way, or is it just me?

GenPol
2009-12-22, 07:30 PM
I dunno- but if a prequel is written, i'd totally buy it:smallbiggrin:

The Dark Fiddler
2009-12-22, 07:30 PM
People have been seeing it coming for months. Nothing new.

But I still think it's likely.

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-22, 07:31 PM
now that it appears we will learn a lot more about The Order of the Scribble, does anyone else see another prequel book coming our way, or is it just me?

I imagine, considering how many secrets it may reveal, it may be the last book to be published. But, I'm sure it's going to come out. If Rich doesn't pull a Jordan on us that is. (knock on wood)

Maximum Zersk
2009-12-22, 07:49 PM
I remember a thread about this a little while back, when the fourth book ended.

I think, maybe there might be a prequel book that has a whole bunch of different stuff in it, including the Order Of the Scribble part.

Conuly
2009-12-22, 08:08 PM
That would be awesome, but I agree that, given what it'll reveal, it probably won't appear for a while yet.

SaintRidley
2009-12-22, 08:19 PM
Not that this is in any way going to discourage anyone, but I won't ever convert the black-and-white books to color, for the following reasons:

1.) Cost of printing. Color printing costs about double or triple black-and-white, not because of ink cost but because of plates. The books aren't printed digitally, this is old-school offset printing, which is why they look so much better than anything you could print on a desktop printer. (And yes, the bit in the front of Origins about paying as much for greyscale as full color was a joke. The cost difference is enormous.)

2.) The number of people who would buy color now that the black-and-white versions have been available for two years (for SoD) and four years (for OtOoPCs) is very, very small. This is, in fact, the first time I have ever heard anyone request it. Certainly too small a group to justify the expense of a print run, much less—

3.) The work required for me to change the art from greyscale to color would be about half as much as it would be for me to make another new prequel. The time would be better spent moving forward with a new project than revisiting an old one.

So, it's a nice idea, but ultimately one that won't happen.

Oh, and no, I don't create the artwork in black and white then color it. It's created in whatever format you see it in, so it takes exactly as much time to make the b&w art as it does the color art.

Basically:

3.) The work required for me to change the art from greyscale to color would be about half as much as it would be for me to make another new prequel. The time would be better spent moving forward with a new project than revisiting an old one.

Just to get it out of the way -

[Out of Context]

New prequel announced! You heard it here first, folks!

[/Out of Context]

Porthos
2009-12-22, 08:20 PM
I remember a thread about this a little while back, when the fourth book ended.

There's been many many threads on the idea. :smalltongue:

Some of the speculation comes from No Cure for the Paladin Blues where Rich comments that he had two new prequel books in the works in the style of Origins. One of which was Start of Darkness, which he described briefly in NCftPB. The other book was described as something that he wasn't prepared to reveal yet.

Unfortunately shortly afterwards, Rich cut back on a lot of his work because of his chronic illness. And we have no idea if the second prequel book will even materialize. There have been, quite literally, no mentions of a new book ever since NCftPB.

There are three leading candidates (in no particular order) for this prequel book:

The backstory of the Linear Guild,
The backstory of the Sapphire Guard,
and
The backstory of the Order of the Rift.

All three would be awesome in their own ways. And while it is starting to look doubtful about a SG backstory, I think we are right about at the right time for a LG or OotR book.

And it's a shame that Rich had decided to go away from Pop Culture titles for books, because there is an awesome one if Rich ever does decide to do a backstory about the Linear Guild:

A Brief History of Crime

Which has been mentioned many many times on this board as a possible title.

But only coz it's so damn awesome. :smallcool:

EDIT:: Here's hoping SaintRidley. :smalltongue:

[TS] Shadow
2009-12-22, 08:39 PM
Could we? Yes.
Will we? It's possible.

Allan Surgite
2009-12-22, 08:57 PM
I am of the opinion that Rich can still milk some plot tension regarding the Order of the Scribble; we don't know 100% of what they were up to, after all. I would imagine that if there was an Order of the Scribble prequel, it would be released after the series ends (or at least, after the tale of the Gates is done).

I mean, we're just over half way through this section of the plot~ I'd rather not have the machinations of the Order of the Scribble spoiled just yet.

Optimystik
2009-12-22, 09:04 PM
I hope so. The Epic rules are ripe for parody, and it'd very nice to see a paladin who is both strong and not Miko.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 11:38 AM
I think we're going to see the Scribbler's story in flashbacks and pieces until near the end of the story. If there is a book devoted to it, I would expect it to be concurrent with the very last book.

An LG or SG prequel, on the other hand, seems like it could come out at any time. LG seems particularly likely, given that I fully expect them to show up in the struggle for Girard's Gate (and I feel like the SG has been shuffled off-stage for a while, to reappear later).

Turkish Delight
2009-12-23, 11:51 AM
It's possible there are things about the Scribble backstory that might spoil upcoming revelations in the main comic. Once some of those have been cleared out of the way, assuming they exist, it's very likely we'll see a Scribble prequel. Along with the founding of the Linear Guild, it's one of the most obvious openings for a prequel project the comic has.

DBJack
2009-12-23, 11:58 AM
The problem with an LG book is that the Linear Guild really just has three members, all three of which we know just about everything about. How they meet could potentially be covered in a few bonus strips rather than a 120 page book.

The Order of the Scribble is a larger team with a mysterious past, a long adventure (6 gates conquered all over the world) and they have had very complex interactions. Why do these people hate each other this much? How did these people form a party in the beginning? Only Soon and Lirian were involved at first, before the others. How were the others brought in? And then the epic rules can be made fun of. This could be the next SOD more readily than the Linear Guild.

Of course, either way we can assume quality work and I'll buy it either way, and, as has been mentioned, The Scribble book would have to come out much later in the story than an LG book. Serini must be shown in comic first at the very least, I think. And maybe it'll be a mix of both stories, a Scribble book that opens up to the Linear Guild or something. Or maybe two books... :smalltongue:

Acero
2009-12-23, 12:13 PM
Of course, either way we can assume quality work and I'll buy it either way, and, as has been mentioned, The Scribble book would have to come out much later in the story than an LG book. Serini must be shown in comic first at the very least, I think. And maybe it'll be a mix of both stories, a Scribble book that opens up to the Linear Guild or something. Or maybe two books... :smalltongue:

A Scribble Book, With LG origin as a bonus (like the short films pixar puts befor the movies)

SPoD
2009-12-23, 12:29 PM
The problem with an LG book is that the Linear Guild really just has three members, all three of which we know just about everything about. How they meet could potentially be covered in a few bonus strips rather than a 120 page book.

Huh? We know almost nothing about the Linear Guild, especially when you consider that we have only recently learned that Sabine works for the IFCC--thus opening the book up to be about them as well. Such a book could easily cover:

1.) The circumstances of how Nale grew up
2.) What happened that led the IFCC to think that Nale had evil potential
3.) How Nale met Sabine
4.) How Nale and Sabine met Thog
5.) How they met Hilgya (assuming that Hilgya will return to feature in Durkon's plot in the future and is thus important)
6.) How they met Xykon and came to work for him
7.) How they recruited Leeky
8.) What happened in the months after Azure City and before the next time we see them
9.) What happened to Nale and Elan's father (if the main strip doesn't plan on discussing it)
10.) How Nale and Elan's parents met, fell in love, married, had children, and divorced
11.) How the IFCC formed

It's at least as much story as On the Origins of PCs, maybe more.

EDIT: And OTOPCs is only 80 pages, so there's no need for it to run 120.

Acero
2009-12-23, 12:41 PM
Huh? We know almost nothing about the Linear Guild, especially when you consider that we have only recently learned that Sabine works for the IFCC--thus opening the book up to be about them as well. Such a book could easily cover:

3.) How Nale met Sabine
5.) How they met Hilgya (assuming that Hilgya will return to feature in Durkon's plot in the future and is thus important)
8.) What happened in the months after Azure City and before the next time we see them
9.) What happened to Nale and Elan's father (if the main strip doesn't plan on discussing it)
10.) How Nale and Elan's parents met, fell in love, married, had children, and divorced
11.) How the IFCC formed

6) Xykon hired them as mercinaries
8,9,11, wil most liekly take place in story
leeky has run his course, no need of backstory

all you really get is his childhood (not very long) and how he met Thog. Sabine was just assigned to Nale

MReav
2009-12-23, 12:52 PM

Hilgya was sent by Loki to serve Nale until she could steal Dorukan's Amulet of Outdated Monster Control.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 12:54 PM
6) Xykon hired them as mercinaries
8,9,11, wil most liekly take place in story
leeky has run his course, no need of backstory

all you really get is his childhood (not very long) and how he met Thog. Sabine was just assigned to Nale

OK, the fact that you are incapable of imagining each of these situations being spun into 5-10 pages of entertaining story doesn't mean the Giant is.

You could summarize Start of Darkness as "Redcloak met Xykon, and then they tried to take over a bunch of Gates," but that wouldn't mean that it isn't a good story when you actually read it.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 12:57 PM
Hilgya was sent by Loki to serve Nale until she could steal Dorukan's Amulet of Outdated Monster Control.

Yes, but how did it go down? Why was Loki interested? Was Nale suspicious of Hilgya's double-cross? Is there more to her mission than we have been led to believe? Something that might tie into her eventual reappearance (if that is what Rich has planned)?

It's one thing to say you wouldn't be interested in learning certain things, it's quite another to say that Rich is incapable of making an 80-page book out of them that is funny and informative.

FoE
2009-12-23, 01:07 PM
To be honest, I doubt there's much to the Linear Guild's backstory that would be worth putting in a book. They're secondary villains whose sole reason for existence is to antagonize the Order of the Stick. I'm sure Rich is more than capable of writing their backstory and doing a hella good job, but there are better stories to tell.

The Order of the Scribble, now there's a tale of betrayal and heartbreak for the ages. I'd love to see what happened to those people to have them hate each other so much. If nothing else, I'd love to see the depiction of their battle against Baron Pineapple. :smallbiggrin:

Acero
2009-12-23, 01:09 PM
people seem to forget that the main villans are team-evil, not the Linear Guild.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 01:14 PM
To be honest, I doubt there's much to the Linear Guild's backstory that would be worth putting in a book.

There's as much or as little as the author wants there to be. (He's allowed to make stuff up about it, you know.)

It utterly baffles me that the prevailing argument against a Linear Guild prequel is that there is no story there just because the author has not shown us any of that story until now. Has it ever occurred to anyone that the reason any of you think that there's not more to how they met is because he's saving it for a prequel???

SPoD
2009-12-23, 01:17 PM
people seem to forget that the main villans are team-evil, not the Linear Guild.

Thanks, I didn't forget anything. They don't need to be the main villain in order to get a prequel book. And if they did, that would also invalidate the Scribbler prequel, given that their actual on-screen time is far, FAR less than that of the Linear Guild. They're tertiary characters at best.

FoE
2009-12-23, 01:18 PM
I think Rich could make a story of how he lost his socks in the dryer amusing. But is it worth the investment of time and energy to write a 64-page book on how he lost his socks? Eh. Not when the story of how he set fire to his shirt has a WAY better set-up.

hamishspence
2009-12-23, 01:19 PM
The 3 fiends recruiting Sabine and sending her to serve Nale, for example- going by their activities in the most recent book, they (and the Linear Guild) are more important than it might appear at first.

Morty
2009-12-23, 01:23 PM
Linear Guild is the IFCC's pawn. Ergo, they are pretty much bound to feature in the story rather prominently. Linear Guild aren't any more "secondary" than any of the other possible candidates for a prequel book. One can argue there will be no more prequel books, but not that it can't be about LG if it does appear.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 01:34 PM
I think Rich could make a story of how he lost his socks in the dryer amusing. But is it worth the investment of time and energy to write a 64-page book on how he lost his socks? Eh. Not when the story of how he set fire to his shirt has a WAY better set-up.

Perhaps, but you're assuming that the story of how he lost his socks in the dryer doesn't include, say, aliens beaming them out of there followed by an intergalactic chase across a thousand worlds to reclaim his lost foot garments, culminating in him being crowned Rich Sockfinder, King of the Galaxy.

If I can make that more interesting in one sentence, then Rich can make the Linear Guild's story as interesting as he wants to (and fill as many pages as he wants to doing so).

FoE
2009-12-23, 01:39 PM
The story of how he set his shirt on fire involves real-life dragons.

CHECK AND MATE.

hamishspence
2009-12-23, 01:42 PM
Even if its focussed on one group, that doesn't mean that others won't make an appearance.

SoD had Eugene, not just Team Evil.

Similarly, if there was a Linear Guild-centric prequel, it could still have others appear in it.

I'm hoping for a Sapphire Guard prequel (so we can see what their activities in SoD looked like from their point of view) but a Linear Guild one might also work.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 01:44 PM
The story of how he set his shirt on fire involves real-life dragons.

CHECK AND MATE.

You just proved my point: We don't know how complicated a story may or may not be until it is actually told to us.

FoE
2009-12-23, 01:48 PM
You just proved my point: We don't know how complicated a story may or may not be until it is actually told to us.

Sure, but there's already considerable depth to the story of the Order of the Scribble. The quest was driven by personal tragedy! There's conflict between party members! There's the final battle against the Snarl and the heroic sacrifice of Kraagor!

As far as we know, the Linear Guild all got together when Nale held up his hand in a bar and said "Who here is evil? If so, form a line, as I'm currently hiring."

The Linear Guild could be a great story. But since I've got nothing to base that on, I say the Order of the Scribble's story is the better choice for a prequel.

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-23, 01:48 PM

3.) How Nale met Sabine
11.) How the IFCC formed

It's at least as much story as On the Origins of PCs, maybe more.

EDIT: And OTOPCs is only 80 pages, so there's no need for it to run 120.

1) see strip 50
2) see strip 61
3) see strip 62
4) in a tavern
5) see strip 74
6) see strip 74 again and strip 57 (they were sent to retrieve the artifact, they met Xykon who is the Big Bad in control of the dungeon that has the artifact, and decided to become mercenaries for him, so they can kill Elan and get the artifact)
7) see strip 344 and 345
8) wandering in the desert looking for a big shiny gate
9) see strip 61 again. Nale killed him
10) See strip 50 again
11) has nothing to do with the linear guild, anymore than the formation of the sapphire guard has to do with Miko

A Linear guild prequel would be nothing but recycling old information and old plots. Yuck.

Scarlet Knight
2009-12-23, 01:52 PM

Of course , that is irrelevant, since books are made because people want to read (buy) them. And last I checked, the LG contains Thog , who is incredibly popular. I would dare guess that Thog and Sabine are more popular than all of Team Evil combined.

I wish I knew which character sells the most T-shirts...:smallconfused:

SPoD
2009-12-23, 01:53 PM
As far as we know, the Linear Guild all got together when Nale held up his hand in a bar and said "Who here is evil?"

Yes, and as far as we knew before Start of Darkness was published, Xykon met Redcloak the same way. Except that he didn't.

And the story of how they met is, in my opinion, the best writing that Rich has ever done. I see no reason to doubt that he could do it again with different characters.

A Linear guild prequel would be nothing but recycling old information and old plots. Yuck.

Yeah, just like Start of Darkness was nothing but 100+ pages of Redcloak and Xykon standing around going, "Hey, we're evil, let's work together, 'k?"

I was sort of lukewarm on the idea of a LG prequel, but now I hope Rich does it just to prove that he can.

EDIT: Also, half of your answers are gross assumptions. We have no evidence that Nale killed his father, in that strip or any other, just as an example.

hamishspence
2009-12-23, 01:56 PM
Shojo was, if not very popular, at least interesting in certain ways.

So was Miko- even if you didn't like her.

A Sapphire Guard book might work well as a prequel.

I'm not quite so sure about a Scribble one, though a Linear Guild one might work if done right.

Porthos
2009-12-23, 02:10 PM
We already knew before Start of Darkness came out that Redcloak and the Sapphire Guard hated each others guts.

So nothing new there.

We already knew before Start of Darkness came out that Redcloak was responsible for destroying Lirian's Gate.

So nothing new there.

We already knew before Start of Darkness that a still alive Xykon killed Eugene's Mentor.

So nothing new there.

We discovered just before Start of Darkness that the Sapphire Guard destroyed Redcloak's village and killed his mother.

So nothing new there.

We already knew before Start of Darkness that Redcloak and Xykon eventually ran across the Monster in the Darkness and picked him up.

So nothing new there.

====

<parody>
Man, I bet there was hardly anything worth exploring in Start of Darkness given everything we already knew. If we really need to know anything, I'm sure it can be told in a couple of panels on an online strip. Perhaps even a flashback page or three. But a whole book devoted to this stuff? Not neccessary at all.

We'll see how Xykon hired Redcloak and the MitD and maybe we'll see Redcloak get all pissy over his village getting destroyed. And there will be absolutely no dramatic tension whatsoever at Lirian's Forest since we already know that the Gate will be destroyed.

Maybe if we're lucky, we'll see Xykon killing Eugene's Mentor. That might be worth a laugh or three.

BO-RING!
</parody>

See, anything can be mocked if you look at it just right. :smalltongue:

SPoD
2009-12-23, 02:15 PM
Maybe if we're lucky, we'll see Xykon killing Eugene's Mentor. That might be worth a laugh or three.:

Oh, no, we saw what happened in one panel of strip #78. IT IS PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR THERE TO BE MORE TO THE STORY THAN THAT.

Forbiddenwar
2009-12-23, 02:25 PM
Didn't rich say that the third prequel will have a third crayon sequence, telling another side of the snarl's story?

SPoD
2009-12-23, 02:27 PM
Didn't rich say that the third prequel will have a third crayon sequence, telling another side of the snarl's story?

Not in any of the commentaries, he didn't. That's just forum speculation.

Porthos
2009-12-23, 02:31 PM

Nope. :smallsmile:

As far as I know this is, quite literally, the only thing that Rich has said about another prequel book:

... And that's not even counting any additional original OOTS books. We already have one of those - On the Origns of PCs - with at least two more planned. One will tell the tale of Xykon, from his life through his death to his undeath, including how he met Redcloak and the Creature in the Darkness. The other ... well, that's another year away. I don't think I'm ready to talk about that yet.

That was back in 2006 before Rich cut back on his commitments, fwiw.

Now what you might be thinking about is that in the run-up to Start of Darkness, he mentioned that there would be The Secret Lore of the Crimson Mantle and that it would be done in the style of The Crayons of Time. But that's about it.

Everything else about a supposed Third Prequel Book (including if there's even going to be one) is just a massive game of telephone, I'm afraid. :smallsmile:

Optimystik
2009-12-23, 02:42 PM
While I understand SPoD's perspective, I think a Scribble prequel is much more fertile ground for a book. The LG's backstory is likely to make an appearance in the main strip - especially if, as we suspect, Nale's father has something to do with Haley's father disappearing - and the IFCC are still major players, so Sabine's association with them (and with Nale) will probably be explored online as well.

The Scribble's story, on the other hand, is a closed book - one that's been completed, to boot. With them, there are many more questions than answers. And hamish, with Soon's perspective may come the answer to your question as well.

Plus, it will mean a reappearance of the Holey Brotherhood! Who could say no to that? :smallsmile:

SPoD
2009-12-23, 02:43 PM
Technically, that quote doesn't even say that the then-planned second book would be a prequel at all. It just says that it will be an original OOTS book. It could be anything.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 02:49 PM
While I understand SPoD's perspective, I think a Scribble prequel is much more fertile ground for a book. The LG's backstory is likely to make an appearance in the main strip - especially if, as we suspect, Nale's father has something to do with Haley's father disappearing - and the IFCC are still major players, so Sabine's association with them (and with Nale) will probably be explored online as well.

The Scribble's story, on the other hand, is a closed book - one that's been completed, to boot. With them, there are many more questions than answers. And hamish, with Soon's perspective may come the answer to your question as well.

See, I'm not arguing for one second that a Scribble book wouldn't be BETTER than a Linear Guild book. I wouldn't know. Only Rich knows which of the two stories interests him the most.

I've been arguing with people who are saying that a Linear Guild book is impossible, or at least impossible to make interesting, and would necessarily be nothing but retreading information we already know.

However, I do strongly believe that we will get the answers to the questions you mention in the main comic, which will diminish the necessity for a Scribble prequel significantly. After all, we will need those answers to make sense of the main plot, and Rich has promised that there won't be any information in an original book that is critical to understanding the basic story online.

Also, the Scribblers have yet to prove to me that any of them are in the least bit funny, whereas the Linear Guild has Thog. So on comedy, LG wins until proven otherwise.

Porthos
2009-12-23, 02:50 PM
Technically, that quote doesn't even say that the then-planned second book would be a prequel at all. It just says that it will be an original OOTS book. It could be anything.

Ture enough. I really should keep that in mind, lest I succumb to my own game of telephone.:smallwink:

As for what it could be, as you said it could be anything. It could even be something concurrent, perhaps showing the liberation of Azure City, with flashbacks showing Important Points of History in the Sapphire Guard.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 03:03 PM
Ture enough. I really should keep that in mind, lest I succumb to my own game of telephone.:smallwink:

As for what it could be, as you said it could be anything. It could even be something concurrent, perhaps showing the liberation of Azure City, with flashbacks showing Important Points of History in the Sapphire Guard.

Or a "Rosencranz and Guildenstern Are Dead" style book, with the main plot thus far being seen through the eyes of minor characters in such a way that it reveals new insights into what's been happening.

Optimystik
2009-12-23, 03:17 PM
However, I do strongly believe that we will get the answers to the questions you mention in the main comic, which will diminish the necessity for a Scribble prequel significantly. After all, we will need those answers to make sense of the main plot, and Rich has promised that there won't be any information in an original book that is critical to understanding the basic story online.

Ah, but how will those answers be delivered? Upon meeting Serini, she might explain to the Stick just how all the Scribble hostility came about.

But looking back at another such plot-necessary explanation - namely, why there are two gates destroyed, instead of just one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html) - we see that characters can explain events in the main narrative thoroughly while still leaving plenty of detail for the prequel books.

So the mere fact that the Stick has to learn about the Scribble history online, does not itself make a Scribble prequel any less likely.

Also, the Scribblers have yet to prove to me that any of them are in the least bit funny, whereas the Linear Guild has Thog. So on comedy, LG wins until proven otherwise.

I disagree here as well - pre-dickery Girard, from his one appearance in the crayons, seems to be a quick enough wit to keep the funny flowing (as does Lirian.) Soon and Dorukan make great straight men as well.

Finally, Kraagor might satiate your Thog fix, for all that he is more articulate.

Ted The Bug
2009-12-23, 04:56 PM
Personally, the Linear Guild has probably been my least favourite element in the story, simply because (with the exception of Sabine, as we've recently learned) they seem to not really have much of a goal other than 'beat the OotS', or maybe even 'Antagonize Elan'. Unlike Xykon, who drives the storyline by actively doing something, the Linear Guild actives prevents things instead. While Xykon and Redcloak both have goals that had meaning before the OotS came along, the Linear Guild's existence depends on the Order's (or maybe even just Elan's). A backstory wouldn't be as interesting, since at least two of the members, including the party leader, have no goals that don't require the OotS' involvement.

SPoD
2009-12-23, 05:55 PM
A backstory wouldn't be as interesting, since at least two of the members, including the party leader, have no goals that don't require the OotS' involvement.

1.) Since Nale didn't know Elan existed until he met him, presumably Nale DID have goals before then.
2.) He has goals now, because he's after the Gates too.
3.) If Sabine has a goal, and Nale and Sabine are working together, then Nale has a goal too, even if he doesn't know about it.

Finally, Kraagor might satiate your Thog fix, for all that he is more articulate.

OK, so, we can imagine that Kraagor is a hilarious comedic character on a par with Thog, despite his ONE speech balloon in the comic thus far (which didn't even contain a joke), but no one can possibly imagine that the Linear Guild might have an interesting story attached to them?

Right.

I thought this thread was suffering from a failure of imagination, but I now see that there's no lack of imagination, it's just all biased against the Linear Guild for some reason that I don't understand. So, never mind. I guess we'll see if Rich ever writes either one of them or something totally different.

salinan
2009-12-23, 07:38 PM
I thought this thread was suffering from a failure of imagination, but I now see that there's no lack of imagination, it's just all biased against the Linear Guild for some reason that I don't understand. So, never mind. I guess we'll see if Rich ever writes either one of them or something totally different.
The 'bias' is... well really... that the linear guild just isn't important enough to the story to warrant anything like a prequel. IMHO, of course. They are basically the second string villians, there to offer a bit of variety to just having the OotS vs Xykon. That's not to say that Rich can't or won't do a prequel for them, and I'm sure he would do a sterling job if he did, but I just can't see the point.

For the Scribblers, it's fairly obvious, I would have thought. They were involved in world shaking events (if only the rest of the world knew about it!) which directly result in the quest that the OotS is on - i.e. the whole story being told. It's less about the actual Order of the Scribble, and more about the quest that they took, which would provide more plot-sensitive insight.

Acero
2009-12-24, 12:57 AM
The 'bias' is... well really... that the linear guild just isn't important enough to the story to warrant anything like a prequel. IMHO, of course. They are basically the second string villians, there to offer a bit of variety to just having the OotS vs Xykon. That's not to say that Rich can't or won't do a prequel for them, and I'm sure he would do a sterling job if he did, but I just can't see the point.

For the Scribblers, it's fairly obvious, I would have thought. They were involved in world shaking events (if only the rest of the world knew about it!) which directly result in the quest that the OotS is on - i.e. the whole story being told. It's less about the actual Order of the Scribble, and more about the quest that they took, which would provide more plot-sensitive insight.

this. Listen to Salinan

Herald Alberich
2009-12-24, 02:36 AM
Seems to me it's even simpler than that. The Scribblers are just far more badass than the LG, not least for being epic. Rich can make either story fascinating, I'm sure, but from what we know right now, the Scribblers seem more interesting/cool to the majority of us.

Asta Kask
2009-12-24, 05:41 AM
I think it will be Guy with a Halberd's backstory.

Thanatosia
2009-12-24, 06:40 AM
Rich has numbered all his books in chronological order and placed the number at the bottom of the book's spine.

For example, Dungeon Crawling Fools is 1, No cure for the Paladin Blues is 2. Origin of the PCs is 0, because it happened before DCF. Start of Darkness is -1 because it happened even before Origins. I think the Order of the Scrible would be the logical choice for the next prequel book because it quite naturaly would fall into place as -2. A LG prequel would be awkward, because it would have to be -0.5 or some such.

Silly and arbitrary thing to base predictions on? Yeah, but I just like seeing the numbers on the book spines line up prettily ^_^

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-24, 08:12 AM
I really hope we do see a OotScribble book. I'm not really a fan of the LG, definitely not enough to buy a book about them (there's 3 stereotypes and shifting minions, rather than an actual team).

OotScribble book taking the form of Serini's diary would rock.

Optimystik
2009-12-24, 08:42 AM
OK, so, we can imagine that Kraagor is a hilarious comedic character on a par with Thog, despite his ONE speech balloon in the comic thus far (which didn't even contain a joke), but no one can possibly imagine that the Linear Guild might have an interesting story attached to them?

Right.

"raging makes kraagor a thirsty boy" from SoD is more what I was thinking of, though "I don't think you're the paladin type Serini" is a joke too.

The LG just aren't that interesting to me. Furthermore, the LG and the IFCC found out about the Gates well into the main strip, so there's very little chance that a prequel on them will provide any more insight into the Snarl's nature.

And yes, I guess we will see.

Lissou
2009-12-24, 09:21 AM
I'm afraid a Scribble book, at this time, might reveal too much. It's nice not to know things, you know? Could reveal too much to us and stuff.
But since it's the Giant's story and he does whatever he wants (and I trust him), I guess a Scribble prequel is possible.
He did make Origins while hiding what he wanted to hide, so... he could do the same. Although I think many people would be disappointed by that.

I'm with Spod on the LG thing. Not that I want a book about them, but I don't see how anyone could know that there is nothing to say. As far as we knew, that was the case for the main villains too, and SoD proved it wrong.

I don't know if there will be another "bonus" book anytime soon. And if there is, I don't know if it will be about the Scribble, the LG or anything else. If it will be a prequel or not. If it will be a story taking place in the afterlife of some character, or in the future without revealing the plot, or with characters we don't even /know/ yet but who will be important later on...

Could be anything. But I'm not going to hold my breath. If there is such a project in the works, let the Giant take his time with it. And if there isn't, there isn't.

B. Dandelion
2009-12-24, 09:24 AM
One potential disadvantage of a Scribble Order prequel is that it would have to build to a foregone conclusion -- with the emphasis on conclusion. The OOTS and Team Evil are very much active in the current story, so while their prequels showed us how they got to where they are now, that doesn't give us a guarantee of their ultimate destination. But the bulk of the influence the Scribbles are having now is posthumous or effectively posthumous. They can affect the plot, but they don't have the same capacity for growth or change that the other characters do, they're interesting in no small part because they're fairly mysterious. Spell things out in a prequel and they lose all that, so I would personally put my money on the option that if they get a book of their own, it would not be until the relevant issues have been thoroughly tackled by the main comic, probably closing in on the ending.

Of course, I could be wrong. ::Shrug:: I don't claim to know Rich's mind. But I would think that the IFCC angle, at least, would provide sufficient material for a prequel featuring the Linear Guild, without that additional drawback.

OITS
2009-12-24, 11:45 AM
A scribble prequel would be very interesting, but even if it will be written by one of the best story-tellers of our time, even Rich woulnd't be able to keep vital secrets unrevealed, especially regarding the gates.
Thinking of a LG prequel... I don't really like them, especially after Hilgya has left. I have both pequels, but I didn't think I'd buy one explaining something about Nale and Sabine. Well at least until SPoD changed my mind. Could be interesting, especially combined with some IFCC background. The problem is the same as with a OotScribble prequel - too many secrets.

Optimystik
2009-12-24, 01:10 PM
It doesn't have to come out right away. SoD didn't come out until after many of its own details were revealed in the main strip (e.g. Redcloak being responsible for the destruction of Lirian's Gate, and Redcloak being responsible for Xykon's lichdom.) So a Scribble prequel need not preempt its own plot-relevant details either.

For example, Serini explains to the Order why the Scribble fell apart in just a few panels - the prequel still has room to go into much more depth later. All the plot-critical information will still happen in the main strip, avoiding any holes in the narrative for the online-only reader.