PDA

View Full Version : Just how weird is this character idea?

Akisa
2009-12-22, 09:20 PM
I'm looking to play a druid who was once a normal raptor but has received a weird awaken spell. The druid's normal form became that of human but much prefers her original form so she spends her entire in raptor form. If the starting level is below 8 she would head into the wilderness to hide her "true form". Upon meeting the party she (I prefer if my character meets the party in the wilderness on the first post) behaves like a dog.

Pharaoh's Fist
2009-12-22, 09:24 PM
So what you're saying is that she acts like a b*tch.

Akisa
2009-12-22, 09:29 PM
wow I walked into that one ^^'

Sstoopidtallkid
2009-12-22, 11:13 PM
Just fluff Wildshape as returning to your normal form, take the Natural Spell feat, and be happy.

Shadowbane
2009-12-22, 11:32 PM
So what you're saying is that she acts like a b*tch.

Some people find that attractive. Woof!

Akisa
2009-12-23, 11:36 AM
Some people find that attractive. Woof!

Hmm should I be freaked out by that?

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-23, 11:38 AM

yes... very

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 11:39 AM
Wow....thread derailed by post #2, :smalltongue: .
Anyway, not too bad, I have heard weirder.

suryasm
2009-12-23, 11:39 AM

Only if you want to encourage him.

But as for the character concept, I think its freakin' awesome. Tons of RP opportunity. Wish I could see your teammate's faces at the big reveal... or your GM's face when you suggest it. :smalltongue:

If it can be done legally though, then go for it.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-23, 11:43 AM
I too, have heard weirder. It might be a serious challenge to RP, though - animals don't think like humans do. At all.

Duke of URL
2009-12-23, 11:47 AM
I too, have heard weirder. It might be a serious challenge to RP, though - animals don't think like humans do. At all.

Yes we do! When we're "slumming", at least.

Another_Poet
2009-12-23, 11:59 AM
So mechanically your race is Human and you use Wildshape to shift into Raptor form.

But story-wise you were a raptor to start with and sometimes take human form due to being awakened?

Awesome.

Shadowbane
2009-12-23, 12:01 PM
It is pretty awesome, but you have to try not to think like a human being. Your first priority should always be survival and food. Loyalty to your party...not so much. Eating them in their sleep? Talk to your DM. :smallamused:

Akisa
2009-12-23, 12:07 PM
How much different is it from rping a dwarf or an elf? Survival and party loyalty would probably be the main focus.

Talk to your DM. :smallamused:

No DM yet :P...

Shadowbane
2009-12-23, 12:14 PM
Ah, I see. While you're looking for one, I suggest figuring out how to roleplay a raptor. ^^

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-23, 12:19 PM
Quite a bit, actually. Humanoid races in D&D think in very human terms, colored only insomuch as WotC commits horrid generalizations on them with their stupid-ass "racial societies" policy (I blame Tolkein).

Animals, on the other hand...

Animals live in the moment. The past only exists insofar as it alters the animal's instinctive reactions and preferences. Even awakened, an animal likely suffers from impaired planning/memory skills. Animals with a pack instinct - like raptors - also don't treat the group the way humans do. A human leader has to compromise with his followers; their needs, wishes, and quirks must be taken into account if the leader wants to remain the leader for long. A pack, on the other hand, answers to an absolute leader. Disputes are resolved with a fight to the death or, rarely, submission.

Now something that thinks like THAT has to integrate into a humanoid society.

See what I mean?

Keshay
2009-12-23, 12:22 PM
Keep in mind, this is a raptor (I'm not sure if the OP means 'Bird of Prey' or the dinosaur variety) who has recieved the Awaken spell. The spell description specifically states they animal (plant) is awakened to "Human-like sentience". The whole issue on not behaving like a human is moot, the behavior modification is part of the spell. Sure the character can still have quirks that betry their old habits (I had an awakened cat who started every encounter trying to hide in plain sight behind pebbles or a single leaf, and who could not resist attacking dangling objects that made noise) but thier basic though processes will be that of a human being.

Lord_Gareth
2009-12-23, 12:28 PM
Humanlike sentience, not personality. An awakened raptor wasn't raised among humans; it has none of the social training and awareness that humans get from spending their whole lives around other humans. Sentience doesn't mean you get a free pass to integrating with the world around you.

oxybe
2009-12-23, 12:30 PM
eh. i once played a tree, who was really a robot and had a ghost owl living in him. warforged wardens are so much fun.

Keshay
2009-12-23, 12:56 PM
Humanlike sentience, not personality. An awakened raptor wasn't raised among humans; it has none of the social training and awareness that humans get from spending their whole lives around other humans. Sentience doesn't mean you get a free pass to integrating with the world around you.

This is a complex issue that can not be adequately discussed in this setting. Suffice to say that the recipient of an Awaken spell would have significantly different psychology than a typical specimen of its species. The simple fact that the animal can speak Common +Int bonus languages (and therefore comprehend all of the concepts contained in the vocabulary of said languages) suggests that they will have some amount of social awareness.

Moreover, since the spell explicitly states "Humanlike Sentience" and not simply generic sentience, one must therefore attribute all other qualities that accompany a human's ability to have subjective experiences. This includes sapience and humanlike intelligence.

I agree any such awakened character should have significant difficulties assimilating into a larger population, but I disagree that such a character's thought processes would be entirely foreign to that of a human being. I'm just saying that figuring out how to roleplay such a character should not be an endeavor in studying animal behavior (or in this case theoretical paleontological animal behavior), its enough to roleplay a humanlike character with obvious and frequent quirks based on what you think a predatory dinosaur would do.

Optimystik
2009-12-23, 01:36 PM
I agree with Lord Gareth. There's more challenge to this than "I can think and talk, therefore I'm human."

Raptors - any predators, really - are probably going to view the world in terms of a predator/prey relationship. They're going to definitely emphasize the "survival of the fittest" aspect of druidic philosophy.

Many works of fiction - Jurassic Park, for instance - depict raptors as pack hunters; like wolves, only more focused on cunning than community. She should be a quick learner and perceptive, but also a touch ruthless. She shouldn't go out of her way to coddle/protect other members of the party, nor should she expect any such treatment herself. She should be big on offensive teamwork (flanking, debuffing etc.) and unfair tactics, like attacking from the sides and rear. She should believe the biggest source of assistance for her team is weakening the enemy rather than strengthening her allies, and she should hold special contempt for allies that prove weak or incompetent.

Just some ideas.

urkthegurk
2009-12-23, 01:50 PM
Quite a bit, actually. Humanoid races in D&D think in very human terms, colored only insomuch as WotC commits horrid generalizations on them with their stupid-ass "racial societies" policy (I blame Tolkein).

Animals, on the other hand...

Animals live in the moment. The past only exists insofar as it alters the animal's instinctive reactions and preferences. Even awakened, an animal likely suffers from impaired planning/memory skills. Animals with a pack instinct - like raptors - also don't treat the group the way humans do. A human leader has to compromise with his followers; their needs, wishes, and quirks must be taken into account if the leader wants to remain the leader for long. A pack, on the other hand, answers to an absolute leader. Disputes are resolved with a fight to the death or, rarely, submission.

Now something that thinks like THAT has to integrate into a humanoid society.

See what I mean?

Ha ha, how wasteful. While its true that whoever is winning might want to fight to the death, it is rarely practical, both parties could easily sustain mortal or crippling injuries, and there is no real benefit to either party other than establishing dominance. Not so different from humans, except we have a better handle on long-term repercussions and can talk about things.

While wolves can form complex relationships, personality quirks, and pair bonds, you could decide that raptors are less complex, more like clever, social, sharks. We really don't know how they behaved, which is why its great to be living in a fantasy.

I like the point about contempt for weakness. Pack species tend to be more stringent about this, as opposed to merely social creatures like rats, who look after their blind and their crippled. A raptor wouldn't see the point, unless the weakened party had earned their respect in some irrevocable way, could not possibly help their weakness, or had some future purpose.