PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Dive

Pages : [1] 2

Koury
2009-12-22, 09:39 PM
You open your eyes. You don't move for a second as you try to figure out whats going on. As your senses return to you you look around and realize you don't know where you are, or for that matter, why you are there. You sit up and look around. You are on a flight of stairs in a cave of some sort. The way back up is blocked by a rock slide. You won't be going that way, it seems. The way down levels off before to long. The natural stone floor and walls have some sort of phosphorescent fungus growing in them which is providing enough light to see by, but it is far from bright.

Map:

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus1.jpg

You are on the top of the stairs. From where you are you can see two doors leading west, the northernmost one made of wood and the one more south made of stone. The hall itself leads south a ways before turning west and out of view itself.

Eurus
2009-12-22, 10:06 PM
Dasha shakes her head to clear it, quickly checking herself for injuries or theft. Realizing that she and her possessions are intact, if lost, she pulls a dagger from one of many sheaths all over her body. She whispers to herself, her voice colored with anxiety. "Oh god, where am I? Please tell me they didn't find me. It would be just like them to throw me into some hell-hole and let me rot or find my own way out again..."

Slowly, she creeps forward to the first door, and crouches down to listen at it and peer underneath it. She searches it carefully before touching it, for any nasty tricks; if she was in some kind of deathtrap, she couldn't possibly be too cautious.

OOC:
Moving up to the first door.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Spending 2 minutes to take 20 on Search, for a 26. Also checking if it's locked, while I'm at it.

Koury
2009-12-22, 10:23 PM
Spoilers are me rolling things. Don't open them unless you're told otherwise.In this case, there is nothing to hear or see

((Do Factotems have Trapfinding? I realize that the question makes this door obviously trapped, but I need to know and don't have Dungeonscape handy.))

((If yes))

Sure enough, you spot a trigger that seems to trip some sort of spell.

((If not))

The door seems untrapped.

((Either way))

From what you can see of the other side of the door, from under the door, it opens into a room. You see nothing of interest though.

EDIT: Also, you have your gear and it is intact. I will be spoiler-ing maps also, but they will be labeled and you can open them always.

Eurus
2009-12-22, 10:30 PM
"A trap, huh? Let's see if I remember how to do this..."

OOC:
Factotums do indeed have trapfinding. Does the trap seem to be triggered by opening the door, or merely touching it? If it triggers on touch, Dasha will just stand back and chuck a dagger at it. Otherwise, she'll try to disarm it.

[roll0]

Also, because I forgot to mention it before, Dasha is in the Child of Shadows stance unless otherwise specified.

EDIT: Ow. That'll probably trigger it. >_>

Koury
2009-12-22, 10:35 PM
Seems to have an area trigger around the handle. As you're attempting to disable the trap, you slip and nearly set it off. Luckily, you manage to avoid doing that, but have failed at removing the trap.

Eurus
2009-12-22, 10:38 PM
Sweat starts to bead on Dasha's forehead from the close call. Steadying herself with a deep breath, she tries again.

OOC:
I knew I should've brought a drill to take doors right off their hinges. :smallwink:

[roll0]

EDIT: And in the future, for convenience, I'll roll Disable Device checks in batches of three or four.

Koury
2009-12-22, 10:43 PM
After a tense moment or two, you manage to interfere with the triggering mechanism. You're reasonably confident it won't go off now. Time to check your work. You reach to check if the door is locked. As you touch the handle...

...nothing. The door seems unlocked.

Openable
XP: 300 for the CR 1 trap.

On that note, your second and third level will kick in automatically, if you live that long, and come with full HP. Future levels require a nights rest and are rolled or averaged, whichever you choose.

EDIT: ((Also, I do that when I DM out of habit. The whole "You do this" thing. I know I'm not supposed to, but it never affects anything mechanically. I wouldn't have had you reach for the handle if it would have gone off, for example))

Eurus
2009-12-22, 10:47 PM
Dasha breathes a sigh of relief and opens the door, dagger again at the ready.

EDIT: ((No problem, especially in PbP it helps add flavor and speed things up.))

Koury
2009-12-22, 11:03 PM
((Sorry about the delay. I play around in Paint sometimes when I make maps.))

The room beyond the door is a large one, if featureless. The phosphorescent fungus continues into this room. On the far wall is the lone item of note in this room, a wooden portcullis, closed. You see no mechanism to open it.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus2.jpg

((Also, what two colors would you like to be? Nothing fancy, a border color and a middle color.))

Eurus
2009-12-22, 11:09 PM
Figuring the opening mechanism to be in another room, Dasha returns to the hallway, and heads for the still-closed door, which she works over just as thoroughly as the first one.

OOC:
Dark blue border and light blue center work for you? Seems simple enough.

Anyway, trying the same look/listen/search routine on this door as the last one. Search is a 26.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

And if it's trapped:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Koury
2009-12-22, 11:15 PM
As you being looking over the door you notice something and smile to yourself. Whoever built this place wasn't that creative, it seems. This door is trapped also, in the exact same fashion as the last one. You manage to disable it easier this time, one your first try. This door is also unlocked. You are unable to see under or around this door though, it is flush with the floor. You hear nothing of note.

Eurus
2009-12-22, 11:18 PM
Starting to feel more confident, perhaps to her eventual detriment, Dasha opens the door, ready for anything.

Koury
2009-12-22, 11:29 PM
You open the door and enter the room. This room slants to the south and is filled with, of all things, mud. Its hard to gauge how deep it gets, if it gets deep at all, from where you are. Opposite of you is a closed wooden door.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus3.jpg

Yeah, I removed the top portion of that room. Sue me.

((Also, +300 XP for that door))

Eurus
2009-12-22, 11:49 PM
Dasha suspects a trap, of course - perhaps a monster, lying in wait - but figures that she'll eventually have to pass this way regardless. So she heads for the door, but keeps a close eye on the mud.

OOC:
If she reaches the door across the room without noticing or being attacked by anything, she'll search it (result of 26).

Koury
2009-12-23, 12:03 AM
She crosses the room and begins searching the door. About halfway through her search she notices a tiny monstrous centipede crawl from the mud next to you. It sees you, but doesn't do anything overtly hostile. Proceed with your checking of the door, or change actions?

Eurus
2009-12-23, 12:14 AM
She will continue searching, but stop if the centipede gets too close or any bigger ones come out.

Koury
2009-12-23, 12:21 AM
You finish searching and conclude there are no traps here. You glance back at the centipede and notice two more have emerged. One of them starts to chitter. The door is unlocked.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 12:26 AM
Dasha slowly opens the door, caught in the awkward position of having to keep an eye on both the centipedes and whatever lies beyond.

Koury
2009-12-23, 01:13 AM
Yeah, no real rolls to make, but its good for you to wonder whats in here.The room beyond is empty. You get the feeling this place is either used extremely rarely or, at the very least, hasn't been maintained for a long time.

The chatter noise behind you grows louder and the other two centipedes join in. You see two more emerge, and think you see the mud stirring even more.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus4.jpg

Eurus
2009-12-23, 01:27 AM
Dasha quickly scampers through the door and shuts it behind her, leaving the centipedes. She checks to see if there is any device to raise the portcullis here, and searches the door to the north regardless.

OOC:
All this rolling gets repetitive, so I'll just do a listen check this time. Feel free to roll hide or move silently for me, if you need to roll spot or listen for any monsters; they both have +5 modifiers. 26 on the search check.

[roll0]

Koury
2009-12-23, 01:51 AM
((Technically, I should be rolling your Listens, Spots, Searches, Diplomacy and anything else you shouldn't know the result of. DD is fine for you to roll because you know if the trap went off or not right away, for example. Climb, Ride, Craft/Profession, knowledge, etc are fine for you to roll. I can make a specific list if you'd like. Am I making sense or just rambling?))

Nothing to hear/be heard by

You study the north door intently. It seems the wood has swollen into the surrounding wall, but it appears to be trap free. Opening it could take some force, however.

You see nothing in this room to open the door, but do notice the chains that seem to do the work run north out of the square with the portcullis, through a hole barely big enough for it to pass.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 01:55 AM
Since there isn't anything currently threatening her, Dasha decides to go ahead and work on prying the door open with a dagger.

OOC:
A list would be nice, actually. Every DM does things differently, so it'd be good to have a reference. :smallbiggrin:

Also, Dasha is taking 20 on a strength check to crack that door open, for a result of... 20. Normally I dislike and avoid overuse of the "take 20" rules, but in PbP it's just so much faster than actually rolling until you make it.

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:14 AM
Skill List:
Go Ahead and Roll
Balance
Climb
Concentration
Craft
Disable Device
Escape Artist
Handle Animal
Heal
Intimidate
Jump
Knowledges
Open Lock
Perform
Profession
Ride
Spellcraft
Survival
Swim
Tumble
UMD
Use Rope

Paranoia Check: [roll0].
Nervous of my rolls yet, Eurus?

It takes some effort, but you manage to free the door. Beyond it is not only another room, but the first you've found to have anything in it. In front of you is a screen which is blocking your vision of the NE corner of the room. In the SW corner there is a bare coat rack. The screen and coat rack look worn and dusty. An odd combination of overuse and disuse.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus5.jpg

Eurus
2009-12-23, 02:20 AM
Like a horror-movie slasher, Dasha slowly and stealthily stalks up to the dusty screen, dagger raised up above her head. With her free hand she slowly reaches out... and swiftly flings open the screen to see what lies beyond.

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:30 AM
((Ahhh!!! :smalleek:

Oh, wait.))

Beyond the screen awaits... nothing beside a door, made of stone.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus6.jpg

Eurus
2009-12-23, 02:36 AM
"Well that was anticlimactic."

Dasha searches the coat rack, then the newly-revealed door, taking 20 on each.

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:42 AM
You find little of interest with the coat rack. However, in the wall behind it you spot a small indentation. You take one of your arrows out and jam it in. You hear a small click and a section of floor pops up. You examine it with care before deciding it is safe to open. Inside of the small recess is a (slightly smaller) box. It seems safe to try and move it.

The door you find no sign of traps. It also does not appear stuck or locked.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 02:43 AM
"A-ha, something interesting. But I swear, if there's a baby gelatinous cube in here..."

Dasha opens the box.

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:47 AM
((Nope, just a baby mimic))

You TRY to open the box. Its locked. ((Skipping a step)) You reach for your handy dandy thieves tools and open it with no difficulty. Inside you find a small pouch contain somebodys stash of coins.

((Gain: [roll0]))

Eurus
2009-12-23, 02:51 AM
"Inexplicably hidden boxes full of money. Cool! That almost makes this worth the trouble."

Cheerily pocketing the coins, Dasha then turns her attention to the as-yet-unopened door, searching it before trying to open it.

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:55 AM
It seems safe.

((You edited your post. So shall I.))

The door opens into a short hall. At the end of the hall you see a chain come from the top of the wall and down into the ground under a lever.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus7.jpg

Eurus
2009-12-23, 02:59 AM
Then she shall open it, if it's unlocked and unstuck. Or force it or pick it, if needed.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 03:11 AM
Dasha is fairly confident that the lever simply opens the portcullis, but she checks it for traps anyway. Getting crushed by a falling stone or dropped into a pit because you got overconfident was not a fun way to go.

If it's not trapped, she pulls it and heads back to the portcullis to check.

Koury
2009-12-23, 03:16 AM
After a good once over, Dasha yanks on the lever. It takes some force to get it going, but once pulled back you head a loud *cluck* followed by numerous loud mechanical *clinks* and the chain descending into the floor.

Upon inspection, the portcullis is indeed open.

((Gain: 50 XP for the chest/opening the gate))

Eurus
2009-12-23, 03:19 AM
Suddenly, Dasha realizes something unfortunate. She had closed the door when she left the mud pit room, but not when she entered it. So the centipedes might very well have spread into the hallway. It is with caution, therefore, that she advances through the portcullis and into said hallway to see if this is the case.

Koury
2009-12-23, 03:25 AM
((You'll learn that I, as a DM, love when PCs do things like this. It was the first thing I thought of when you shut the door in the first place :smallamused: ))

Spot checks irrelevant as the centipedes are not trying to hide. Dasha is, however.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Dasha moves quickly and quietly into the hall. Nothing. However the noise coming from the room if fairly loud.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 03:31 AM
Dagger in hand, she peeks around the corner into the room to try to spot the source of this noise.

Koury
2009-12-23, 03:40 AM
She peeks around the corner and does, indeed find the source. She counts no less then 10 of the monsters.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus8.jpg

You are spotted by the one closest to you. Initiative time.

((Yeah, you actually failed. Check spoiler one post up for numbers. I do roll these things. I'm always worried about people think I'm making them fight :smalltongue:))

Eurus
2009-12-23, 03:43 AM
I don't mind, as long as you don't mind me trying to avoid fights. :smallwink:

[roll0]

Koury
2009-12-23, 03:45 AM
I should have rolled in my post. [roll0]

Only the one near you is aware at the moment. This is a surprise round either way.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 03:52 AM
My surprise round, or theirs?

Koury
2009-12-23, 03:57 AM
You, it.

Next round and all after for this fight, you, it and where ever the rest fall on this roll [roll0]

Edit: So...

You
It
You
Them etc

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:09 AM
Alrighty then. I could just shut the door... but where's the fun in that? So I'll chuck my dagger at the one that saw me.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:13 AM
Crit doesn't matter, as its dead.

You're up again.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:15 AM
Then I shall draw my bow, and shoot at the closest living centipede.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: A 20, then a 1. I suppose luck has a way of balancing out. :smallyuk:

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:23 AM
One of them is able to close with you and enter your square to attack. AoO for you. After that:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Three are in the square w/ the door. Four are one space behind them and two another space from them back.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:30 AM
Nope, since I just switched to my bow I don't get an AoO. And I'm surprised, that was actually a hit. >_> Spending an inspiration point on the fort save.

[roll0]

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:32 AM
I will move 10 feet north, provoking an attack of opportunity but also giving me concealment from Child of Shadows. Then I shall shoot the centipede that bit me.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:41 AM
20 is successful, obviously.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The centipede that bit you lunges at you as you fall back. You manage to swing your buckler around just in time to deflect his attack. You pedal backwards, seeming to fade as you do so.

Four of the monsters manage to enter your square. They bite at you hungrily.

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]
[roll9]

Five feet from you are four more, and one remains behind them.

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:44 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Low is good for you.

:smallconfused: :smalleek:

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:45 AM
Miss chance for the two that hit my AC?

EDIT: Ninja'd. Cool.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:46 AM
Okay, so how about this. I'll shoot one of the centipedes that's 5 feet away, then drop my bow and draw a dagger so I can actually make AoOs.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: ...You know, if these things didn't only have 1 HP anyway, I'd be getting annoyed with these damage rolls.

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:47 AM
I was on it, I was thinking I needed to see how many hits first. Spaced on including them in the original post.

Worked out for you either way :)

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:49 AM
That shot drops another one.

((Might I suggest a 5 ft step back?))

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:50 AM
Ah, yeah. Forgot that part. >_>

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:54 AM
You get an AoO against the first one that enters your square.

You end up with four in your square no matter the result.

1d20+4
[roll1]

1d20+4
[roll3]

1d20+4
[roll5]

1d20+4
[roll7]

No fancy pants concealment this time.

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:56 AM
I'm unsure why I got the red text thing, I didn't even edit that one, but whatever. Must not like ?s

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6]
[roll7]

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:56 AM
Melee is not my strong suit...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2009-12-23, 04:57 AM
[roll0]

Text

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:58 AM
So I get bit twice for another 1 damage each time, and need to make two fort saves. My puny hit points are dwindling fast... will this be death by housecat?! I certainly hope not!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Eurus
2009-12-23, 04:59 AM
Whoops. And I take 3 damage, not 2. Yeah, I'm gonna want to run for it now...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:00 AM
Situation update:

Thats 4 damage total and I need two forts. Your bow is not in your possession and you're down one dagger.

3 of the critters are down, however. You have 4 in your space, four in the next space remaining.

Plus side: Its your turn, and you out speed them.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 05:03 AM
Since I'm kind of in a bind here, I'll use a full-round action to withdraw back into the portcullis room. And shut the door behind me, if at all possible.

...Stupid bugs. >_>

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:08 AM
I believe you can't do that, as closing a door is a move action.

However, you can do a restricted withdraw as a standard and then close the door.

So going by that, you've shut them out.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 05:11 AM
That works.

"...I can't believe I just had to run from centipedes. And they still have my bow, dang it!"

So she'll quickly circle around to the east door to the mud room, and open it, ready to fling a dagger at the first thing she sees with more than two legs.

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:16 AM
Nothing in sight just yet. You can hear em though.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 05:19 AM
She'll shout, then, and see if it attracts them. I don't know if we're still in the same initiative order, but if so, she readies an action to chuck a dagger at the first one that comes within 30 feet.

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:24 AM
The shout indeed attracts some. You see two round the corner into the doorway (and thus within 30 ft)

Your action triggers and you sling a knife at one of them.

[roll0]

Knife misses but you're up.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 05:27 AM
Another knife, then.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Arg, missed. Okay, shutting the door. >_>

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:30 AM
Perhaps aim at the monsters?

One retreats out of sight, the other chitters frantically as it charges toward you. It enters your square and goes for your calves.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Actually that was +6, but either way. Still one damage.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 05:35 AM
Grr. 5-foot step back, chuck a dagger, draw a dagger. Good thing I brought plenty...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Eurus
2009-12-23, 05:36 AM
Aw, come on. Well, I'll pop an inspiration point on the attack of opportunity...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:39 AM
You manage to get a clean blow in as the centipede tries to enter your square, dropping him. Two more enter the room, making it one space west of the door.

You're up.

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:40 AM
Wait, time out. Your thrown dagger connects with the beast (he charged).

You still have that inspiration point.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 05:42 AM
I'll slash at one in melee with one of my quickly-becoming-scarce daggers, and retreat 30 feet (to the middle of the bottom row of the room with the portcullis that opens into the hallway).

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Oh, well that helps. Doesn't really change my action, though.

Koury
2009-12-23, 05:48 AM
I was under the impression you were 5 ft west of the west door. When did you move from there?

They are currently 5 feet from the east mud room door.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 10:37 AM
Ah, sorry. I got a bit confused. Revising my action, then. I'll throw a dagger at one of them, draw a new one, and take a 5-foot step west. I will use an Inspiration point to hit, reducing me to one left.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2009-12-23, 02:43 PM
You expertly sling another blade, silently cursing yourself for dropping your bow. You step back and reach for another blade but come up empty. You've run out of the ones strapped to you sides and the one over your shoulder and the two stored in your bracers and the one you had in your leg sheath. You deftly pull the one out of your left boot and prepare yourself. You've still got the one strapped in your other boot and the two in your belt. You're not down yet.

The centipede you can still see grabs the body of the now dead centipede next to him and begins dragging it into the mud. You see two more round the corner, dragging the body of the one you shot with the arrow with them.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 10:44 PM
"Hmm... maybe they'll be busy for a while, now, and leave me alone long enough for me to get my bow."

Dasha shuts the door, and moves back through the opened portcullis to the door that leads directly to the hallway. She waits a few moments, then opens that door, and if there are no centipedes between her and her bow, she'll grab it.

Koury
2009-12-23, 10:46 PM
There are, in fact, three centipedes. Two living and one half eaten dead one.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 10:54 PM
Hmm. Do they pay any attention to Dasha when she opens the door, or do they just continue eating?

Koury
2009-12-23, 11:00 PM
Pointless paranoia inducing spoiler

They seem to be munching away happily.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 11:05 PM
Hmm... Dasha will slowly creep past them (5-foot step each round, so no AoOs), with a dagger in her hand and a readied action to chuck a dagger at the first one that tries to bite her. If she gets past, she'll pick up her bow and creep back.

Koury
2009-12-23, 11:09 PM
You manage to retrieve your bow. You also pass by two of your throwing knives on your trip.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 11:16 PM
I'll grab them too, then. Also, if you don't mind, a slight change of plans; instead of going back to the portcullis room, once I'm on the other side I'll just shut the door to the mud room.

And then, now that I've got my bow and only have two centipedes to deal with, I'll shoot one and back away 30 feet south.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2009-12-23, 11:21 PM
Mud room is shut. That centipede is blindsided down.

[roll0] for the remaining one.

Eurus
2009-12-23, 11:25 PM
[roll0]

If I go first:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Koury
2009-12-23, 11:30 PM
You manage to draw another arrow and fire it before the other centipede can react but are off the mark due to your haste.

The centipede starts chittering at the activity. It then lunges at... the fresh food near it.

You kill it off next round.

((I'm ready to be done with these guys two pages later))

Eurus
2009-12-23, 11:52 PM
((Tell me about it. I have terrible luck. >_>))

Sighing with relief, Dasha goes to gather up the rest of her daggers that litter the hallway or non-mud-filled rooms. Once she has those, she carefully heads south down the hallway to see what lies around the bend. In her injured state, she's rather twitchy; one more mistake could kill her.

Koury
2009-12-24, 12:00 AM
((Sorry, got caught reading a thread. Side note: You see the end of my match vs Chile?))

You have 7 of your knives I believe.

You're also down 5 arrows I believe.

As you peer around the corner you are greeted with an almost equally long hall.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus9.jpg

Eurus
2009-12-24, 12:09 AM
((The one against his stealth-monkey character? Yeah. :smallbiggrin:))

Happy for the temporary absence of bug attacks, Dasha continues down this hall as well.

EDIT: Oh, and taking 10 on search checks as I do so, for a 16. I'd take 20, but no sane character should have that kind of patience.

Koury
2009-12-24, 12:16 AM
((I don't understand how my crazy was correct. I just... It... ))

Paranoia

You turn the corner and see the hall continues north about 20 ft before cutting east and out of sight.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 12:23 AM
Dasha sneaks up to this next corner, and peeks carefully around it, this time armed with her bow.

Koury
2009-12-24, 12:31 AM
This hall continues east, then cuts south. You approach the next bend and peak around. The south hall splits into an arterial turn. To the west a dead end. To the east a closed iron door.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus10.jpg

Eurus
2009-12-24, 12:33 AM
Finding a random dead end to be slightly suspicious, Dasha thoroughly searches it. If she finds nothing, she goes on to search and listen at the door.

[roll0]

Taking 20 on both the dead end and the door, so that's a 26.

Koury
2009-12-24, 12:43 AM
((Listens usually fall under my realm. That way you can't go "Oh I rolled a 17 and heard nothing. It's probably good." or "Damn, a 6? I listen some more."))

Your examination of the dead end reveals a cleverly hidden lever. You almost missed it.

If you pull it:The area around you rumbles and you hear clicks similar to when you raised the portcullis, but you see no chain and notice nothing different in you immediate area.

The door initially seems free of traps. As you continue examining it, however, you notice it seems to be stuck closed, but intentionally. It is then that you realize the door IS trapped. You find three strips of razor wire laid tight across the door, apparently lying in wait for someone to ram the door open with their body.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 12:48 AM
((Oops, sorry. Forgot about that. For what it's worth, I never retry listen/spot checks unless I can't see or there's someone invisible running around shanking me. :smallbiggrin:))

Since she didn't find a trapdoor or loose block ready to fall on her, Dasha pulls the lever. When nothing visible happens, she turns her attention to the door and simply cuts off the razor wire with her dagger, before working on prying it open.

((Taking 20 on strength to open the door))

Koury
2009-12-24, 01:02 AM
The door opens easily enough, as it was only nominally stuck due to the trap.

((By the way, I was just thinking about it and it would suck to ram yourself through razor wire. I'd much prefer a gout of flame to fly at me))

((Gain: 300 XP CR1 trap, 261 XP 7 CR 1/8's, 39 DM-hates-the-unevenness xp. Door levels you))

The room beyond the door is empty save for the archway leading east into another room.

Hey, an actual check!

[roll0] vs DC 10. The door was opened via force, but not terribly loud (DC 5 +5 for distance.)

Map upcoming. Room is 25x25, archway on northernmost west wall.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 01:12 AM
((Woo! What are the rules for leveling here? Do I heal to full, just the amount by which my max HP increases, or not at all? Regardless, I'm going with average hit points.))

Koury
2009-12-24, 01:16 AM
((Thought I posted something along the 'leveling up' lines but I'm too lazy to go and look.

Gain the HP you gain plus the equivalent of one nights rest in all forms. Spells/IPs/etc refreshed. Or course, normally you need to ACTUALLY rest to level so that last part doesn't stick around, but still.))

Eurus
2009-12-24, 01:18 AM
((Cool. I actually do believe I'll be taking this level in Swordsage rather than Factotum; I'd rather have some maneuvers than one more IP and one cantrip per day. Doesn't capitalize on a high intelligence like Warblade would, but it gets access to Shadow Hand. Which leads to two questions: do you use multiclassing penalties, and fractional BAB/saves?))

Koury
2009-12-24, 01:23 AM
((XP penalties: No. In what way do they add to the game in the least?

Fractional BAB/saves: Is that where 1 level in 4 classes with 3/4 BAB = 3 BAB? If so then yes. Saves are the total the classes say, except you only get the +2 in each one once. I only half nerfed that though, any +2s you should have got are +1s.

Am I being clear? Ask whatever questions. Also level 2 and 3 will be full HP gain. Rolled or average after that))

Eurus
2009-12-24, 01:44 AM
((Oh yeah, I forgot the max at 1st-3rd level. Fractional BAB and saves is indeed as you describe, and multiclassing penalties are indeed lame. Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174720) is updated; I may end up dipping Fighter next level so I can get both Weapon Finesse and Two-Weapon Fighting. But after that, it'll be back to Factotum.))

Koury
2009-12-24, 01:48 AM
((Quick glance reveals nothing major is wrong. Note on a houserule of mine regarding IL. It rounds up. Why this weird seemingly random houserule? Because every (EVERY) example character in ToB does this. Its like they forgot to mention a rule.))

Eurus
2009-12-24, 01:51 AM
((Ah, cool. Makes sense. Anyway, on with the show!))

Dasha slinks along the wall opposite the archway, until she can see what lies beyond.

Koury
2009-12-24, 02:00 AM
Dasha glances in the room and immediately makes eye contact with a huge, viscous looking rat who was on his way into her room, most likely investigating the noise from the door. Dasha spots two more beyond him.

((Huge in the descriptive sense, not mechanical))

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus11-1.jpg

((Has that link in my sig always been broken? I just noticed it.))

Koury
2009-12-24, 02:02 AM
((Note, I fixed the link after I noticed, I'm just asking on the off chance you tried it before and it didn't work))

[roll0]

Surprise round between you and the close one.

[roll1] for the others after this round.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 02:04 AM
((The image link? Yeah, I think so.))

[roll0]

Eurus
2009-12-24, 02:07 AM
Dasha runs backward until she hits the wall, while she opens fire on the rat with her bow.

[roll0]
[roll1]

((Spending an inspiration point on damage if I hit. Not spending it if I miss, obviously.))

EDIT: D'oh, I always forget that surprise rounds are standard action only. So I won't move, which I think means that the rat has cover.

Koury
2009-12-24, 02:14 AM
Despite the awkward angle of the shot, you hit cleanly and forcefully. The rat lets out a squeal as it drops to the floor, confused and, shortly after, dead.

The two other rats jump into action. The first moves around the corner to the square north of you and attacks. The other steps over the body of the other rat and attacks from around the corner.

[roll0]
[roll1] plus fort save

[roll2] (-2 for corner accounted here for ease)
[roll3] plus fort save

Eurus
2009-12-24, 02:20 AM
((Unfortunate rolls, but I'm not complaining. :smallbiggrin: Tumble checks are against a DC of 17, I believe, and I'll be spending an IP on damage again if I hit.))

Dasha backs ten feet away from the rats with a quick ducking jump intended to dodge any parting blows, before attempting to drop a second rat.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Koury
2009-12-24, 02:25 AM
Dasha's separation from melee range isn't as clean as she'd have hoped.

[roll0]
[roll1] plus fort save

[roll2]
[roll3] plus fort save

Her arrow flies true again, however.

((By the way, not one single IP you've spent has affected anything. They either leave you too low still or the regular roll is enough. It's funny to watch :smallbiggrin: ))

The remaining rat seems to realize its time to GTFO, fleeing into the hall and out of sight.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 02:35 AM
((Heh, when you put it like that, it is a bit funny. But hey, I'd rather overkill something than not kill it at all...))

[roll0]

Figuring that she won't be going back that way anyway, Dasha simply closes the door leading back into the hallway that the rat fled down. She advances carefully into the room, suspecting it to be empty simply because anything else in it probably would have attacked already, but still not quite sure.

Koury
2009-12-24, 02:43 AM
The rat room is indeed empty, save for a few small piles of refuse.

[roll0]

No updates to the last map.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 02:47 AM
"Hmm... looks like a dead end. And there's no way I'm sifting through rat dung unless I absolutely have to. Maybe that lever opened something somewhere..."

Dasha re-opens the door she just closed, ready to shoot any vermin that shows its head. If the coast is clear, she will advance all the down the hallway back to the dungeon's entrance, looking for any new passages.

Koury
2009-12-24, 02:57 AM
You begin the lengthy process of examining the hallway. Not long after you begin the long E/W hall (about a half hour later) you see the rat coming back. You dispatch of him quickly and continue your search.

((Gain: 300 xp))

You find yourself near the stairs, just shy of two hours later, with nothing to show for your work.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 03:05 AM
Tired and irritated, but finding searching at least preferable to slogging through excrement or being swarmed by centipedes, Dasha opens the door to the portcullis room, hoping fervently to find something. She gives it a quick glance over before passing west through the open gate, then north into the room where she had found the gold, then into the short hall with the lever. She doesn't bother searching them top to bottom, just looks for anything that might have changed since the last time.

Koury
2009-12-24, 03:15 AM
As she enters the room with the gold cache she notices immediately that a WALL is missing. There is a hallway here that wasn't here before.

Peering down the hall show that it deadends a little ways up, but there is an empty doorway leading south into a room.

((I don't suppose you had a relative fly out from Washington state today, did you? One of my friends just flew home to IL today and the world is small sometimes.))

Eurus
2009-12-24, 03:22 AM
((Washington? No, I don't believe I have any relatives from Washington. Plenty of other states, though... :smallbiggrin:))

"There we are... someone put a disturbing amount of effort into building this place."

Dasha enters the hallway and searches the door (taking 20). If it's not trapped, she listens at it before opening it. If it is...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Koury
2009-12-24, 03:26 AM
Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus12.jpg

There is no door, only an empty door way. I was unclear. In the room there is a single container in the center of the room. Your search on the doorway reveals it to be safe to cross.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 03:28 AM
((My bad.))

The conflicting forces of greed and worry battle in Dasha's head as she carefully checks the container for traps and locks. If she finds it safe and possible to open, she will do so.

Koury
2009-12-24, 03:37 AM
She determines it to be not only untrapped but also unlocked.

She lifts the lid on the 2' by 3' stone chest and finds...

...a fairly small pouch? Confused, she opens it. A piece of papyrus rests atop a decent little heap of coins. Shes about to grab the paper when something in her mind clicks. These coins aren't gold. They're PLATINUM. She counts them up quickly.

[roll0]

Eurus
2009-12-24, 03:42 AM
Mouth practically watering, she pockets the coins - a larger sum than she had ever seen at one time before - and picks up the papyrus sheet to read it.

Koury
2009-12-24, 03:47 AM
"To step forward you must step back. Stimulate the spiral at its source to reveal a new path, of course."

Eurus
2009-12-24, 03:55 AM
Dasha reads the note. Then she reads it again. And a third time, just to be certain. "Well that's wonderfully enlightening. Step back... looking at it literally, it might be telling me to backtrack again. But 'the spiral at its source?' Is that supposed to be literal, or figurative? I think that the main hallway ended in a kind of spiral... but even if that's where I'm supposed to go, I have no idea what to do there. I might as well go check it out, though...

Dasha will head back down the hallway, to the dead end where the lever is that opened this door. She'll search the area again.

Koury
2009-12-24, 04:15 AM
She goes back to the lever at the dead end in the hallway. She finds nothing different or unusual, aside from the level itself being hidden.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 04:16 AM
"Hmm. Maybe if I..."

She tries pulling the lever again, and listens.

Koury
2009-12-24, 04:19 AM
As the lever is pulled the rumble starts again, and the click. There is also a rumble that you didn't hear last time. It came from the east, but you can't tell if it came from the hall or the room.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 04:24 AM
Since it's closer, Dasha starts by checking the room.

Koury
2009-12-24, 04:27 AM
((Well, the HALLWAY is closer, but yeah :smalltongue:))

The first room seems to have no obvious changes. Upon glancing into the rats nest room however...

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus13.jpg

Eurus
2009-12-24, 04:32 AM
"Curiouser and curiouser..."

Bow in hand, Dasha enters the newly opened hallway and peeks around the first corner.

Koury
2009-12-24, 04:39 AM
((I looked a little bit ahead and, well, it'll get curiouser, don't doubt that. I randomly generated this place a long time ago and why I didn't change this one thing, I'll never know. You'll know it when you get there... Mind you, I've added things since dusting it off, like the lever system and I just pulled that riddle out of my ass (was it ok? I know riddles are no-nos but I like them so much...)))

[roll0] vs DC 15. Yes, just 1d20. I've arbitrarily decided you get a 25% chance at this time. If I did the math, you'd end up with less, so be happy

The hallway goes east for about 30 ft before turning south and out of sight.

EDIT: ((tl;dr on that paragraph: Alice in Wonderland references may fit too well.))

Eurus
2009-12-24, 04:52 AM
((It was a pretty good riddle, actually. Made sense, and it was short. :smallbiggrin: Also, I look forward to seeing this strangeness...))

Nervous at the realization that she'll have an open and unexplored section of dungeon to her back whatever way she goes, Dasha decides to head east down this hallway and look around the corner again.

Koury
2009-12-24, 04:54 AM
After turning south the hall dead ends about 10 ft south.

Eurus
2009-12-24, 04:55 AM
She searches the dead end (taking 20).

Koury
2009-12-24, 04:59 AM
As far as you can tell, the is actually a dead end.

Completely unrelated check: [roll0] vs DC 17

Eurus
2009-12-24, 05:03 AM
In that case, Dasha will leave this offshoot hallway and go north to the next unexplored hallway.

Koury
2009-12-24, 05:08 AM
You spot a door down this hall. Closed and wooden.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus14.jpg

[roll0] vs DC 14

Eurus
2009-12-24, 05:23 AM
Dasha goes to the door and searches it (taking 20).

If trapped:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Koury
2009-12-24, 05:26 AM
After investigating it, you find the door to be untrapped. It is locked however.

((I'm out for the night, time to play some MW2 seeing as my buddy just got online. In the middle of a secret back area in front of a locked door. Nice classical end point for a night.))

Eurus
2009-12-24, 05:29 AM
((Heh, alright. See you tomorrow.))

Eurus
2009-12-24, 03:19 PM
Dasha attempts to pick the lock.

((Taking 20, total of 25))

Koury
2009-12-24, 06:38 PM
((This is for quick reference. We can quote this and update it every so often (beginning of battles mostly, and at least once a page).))

Dasha:
Dasha Mal (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174720) Female CG Changeling
Level 2, Init +3, Speed 40ft
HP 10/14
AC 17 (+3 Armor +1 Shield +3 Dex), Touch 13, Flat-footed 14
Inspiration Points ?/?
Fort +1, Ref +6, Will +3
Base Attack Bonus 1
Throwing Knives (7) +5 thrown; -1 wielded (1d4+3)
Shortbow (14) +4 (1d6)
Studded Leather Armor (+3 Armor)
Buckler (+1 Shield)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 17
Condition/Effects Child of Shadows stance
Senses Spot: +4 Listen: +4 Search: +6

Sublime Way
ManeuversCounter Charge
Moment of Perfect Mind
Wind Stride
Nightmare Sapphire Blade
Wolf Fang Strike
StancesChild of Shadow
Step of the Wind
Stance of Clarity

The door lock, while proving slightly tricky, is overcome quickly by Dasha. She stealthily opens the door and peeks inside. This room is similar to all the others in that it is empty and very plain, but different from the other in that it had many door leading out of it. To the south, an iron door. To the north and east, wooden doors.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus15.jpg

((Anything else I should add to the stat block?))

((Also of note: coins DO have weight. Not stupid high DnD weight, but weight nonetheless. 453 grams in a pound, US quarter weights 5.5 grams. comes out to ~82/lb. Coins for us weigh 100 to the lb. I tend to ignore the 'How are you carrying 50,000 coins' aspect though. So... no volume, but yes weight. :smallbiggrin:))

((While I'm editing the hell out of this post, is this (http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:vu4FrA-GWcjsDM:http://www.enworld.org/Pozas/Pictures/Iconics/lidda.jpg) anything like your character concept? It's what I'm seeing her as.))

Eurus
2009-12-24, 07:36 PM
((That picture looks good for her "basic" form, so to speak. :smallbiggrin: Can't think of anything else to add to the stat block right now.))

"One of these things is not like the other..."

Dasha moves to and searches the iron door.

Koury
2009-12-25, 04:45 PM
((Merry christmas! Gain: 150 holiday XP))

The iron door seems unlocked and untrapped.

Eurus
2009-12-25, 08:18 PM
((Merry Christmas to you too. :smallsmile:))

Never one to back down, Dasha opens it right up.

Koury
2009-12-25, 09:10 PM
And she is met with a short hallway ending with the back of a door that appears to be hidden from the other side (connecting to the NE crnerof he room south of you)

[roll0] vs DC 19
[roll1] vs DC 19

As you are looking down the hall you hear a faint moan, barely audable. Its impossible to tell exactly where it came from, but it doesn't sound close.

Eurus
2009-12-25, 09:40 PM
Suddenly nervous, she opens the door - in case she needs to find it later - then returns to the room with the four doors and carefully searches the one in the east wall.

Koury
2009-12-26, 12:20 AM
((I won't be home until tomorrow probably and thus have no access to my maps. However...))

Your usual top-to-bottom inspection of the door reveals nothing out of the ordinary about this door. You DO discover, however, that it is locked.

Eurus
2009-12-27, 12:36 AM
Concentrating intently, Dasha crouches down and goes at the lock with her trusty picks. (Taking 20)

Koury
2009-12-27, 01:51 AM
Dasha grows more and more frusterated working on this lock. After a few minutes she realizes the mechanism holding the door closed is too foreign and she gives up.

Eurus
2009-12-27, 01:12 PM
Giving up in disgust, she goes over to the north door instead. Maybe there would be a key somewhere to the east one.

((Searching, 26. If it's locked and looks untrapped, she'll try to pick it.))

Koury
2009-12-27, 09:21 PM
[roll0] 2 is asleep.
[roll1]vs DC 15 if awake.

The northern door seems to be untrapped and, thankfully, unlocked.

As you are inspecting the door you hear a noise. Its hard to tell what it was but it is big and doesn't seem to be the thing that made the noise earlier.

Koury
2009-12-29, 11:02 PM
((Scary noise behind the door scare you off?))

Eurus
2009-12-29, 11:15 PM
((Oops, I must have missed your post.))

Dasha quickly considers what to do. Open the door, and possibly run into something big and mean, or just move away?

"...I should at least see what it is."

She draws a dagger, and opens the door.

Koury
2009-12-29, 11:58 PM
You open the door, ready for anything. On the other side you find a large black bear, shuffling around. He looks hungry.

The room he is in had one other exit, on the opposit side of you.

((Not near my maps still, but I have what I need for this, should you tru to do this))

[roll0]

((I did a half-assed map for the fight))

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus-1.jpg

Eurus
2009-12-30, 12:09 AM
"Who the hell keeps a bear?! How does something like that even live down here?!"

Covering her fear with outrage, Dasha chucks a dagger. She'd killed wild animals before, so she was fairly confident that she could take this one, plus it was guarding a door that she rather wanted to go through.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Eurus
2009-12-30, 12:10 AM
((...Somehow I forgot the part where I actually, y'know, roll initiative. God I'm dumb. >_>))

[roll0]

Koury
2009-12-30, 12:24 AM
Your dagger flies past the bear and sticking into the stone wall behind him.

The bear roars and advances at you.

[roll0]. You get +2 AC from the doorway.
[roll1]

Eurus
2009-12-30, 01:11 AM
Dasha lets out a positively embarrassing squeak as she ducks, while the claws glance off the corner of the door and barely miss her. Backing up, she throws another knife.

[roll0]
[roll1]

((5-foot step south, and shifting to Stance of Clarity for +2 AC. Spending a point of inspiration on damage if I hit.))

Eurus
2009-12-30, 01:12 AM
Roll to confirm...

[roll0]

Eurus
2009-12-30, 01:13 AM

[roll0]

EDIT: All that work, and it fails to confirm. :smallyuk:

Koury
2010-01-01, 07:40 PM
((How did I miss that you posted? Sorry))

Dasha's knife sinks into the side of the bear. She curses her luck, she could have sworn there was a major artery there on these animals. Apparently not. She didn't have much time to reflect on this though as the bear rounds the corner and swings again, seemingly trying to end this in one blow.

[roll0]
[roll1]

As the bears claw comes down at you time seems to slow. You dodge out of the way in the nick of time. Good thing too, as that blow looked as if it would have been devastating.

((Also, it hasn't come up yet but nat 1s on your attack mean re-roll. If you miss again you give up an AoO. Just sayin' so if it comes up I'm not just dropping it on you randomly.))

Eurus
2010-01-02, 03:18 AM
((Good to know, I'll keep that in mind. Spending another IP on damage if I hit.))

Forcing herself to remember to breathe, Dasha continues to scramble backward while throwing a third knife.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-02, 03:39 AM
Still slightly off-balance from your dodge, your knife misses its mark badly.

The bear advances and tries its best to bring you down.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]

Paws and teeth are flying everywhere, but you manage to keep yourself safe from harm. For now at least. And to make matters worse, you hear the same moaning sound you heard before. You find yourself hoping whatever else is here is used to the bear making noise and won't come investigate.

Eurus
2010-01-02, 03:52 AM
((Doing the same 5-foot step back and throw a dagger routine as last time. Spending an IP on attack, and on damage if I hit. That means I'll be out of inspiration if I do hit, so let's make this one count...))

Dasha forces herself not to yell out again, instead hissing through clenched teeth so as not to draw even more attention to herself. The last thing that she needed was a second attacker...

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-02, 04:30 AM
Dasha lets loose another knife and as she releases it she just knows its going to connect. And not only is she correct, but it strikes the beast in the neck, felling it without it being able to roar in pain. A lucky stroke indeed for her.

((Gain: 600 XP))

((Hmm... Not bad. A lone level two dropped a CR 2 w/o a scratch))

Eurus
2010-01-02, 04:37 AM
((Not bad indeed, but I got lucky. A few decent hits would have dropped me. At level two, there's not a whole lot of leeway between "without a scratch" and "horribly mangled." :smallwink:))

Dasha collects her daggers, then pauses a moment to catch her breath, sliding down the wall to a roughly sitting position. She keeps a keen ear out for any signs of that strange moaning as she takes her breather.

When she feels confident that she won't collapse from exhaustion or have a heart attack from stress, she approaches the door that the bear is no longer guarding and searches it.

Koury
2010-01-02, 04:48 AM
The door seems untrapped and unlocked. It seems stuck shut, but not horribly so, almost as if some large creature had rammed into it or leaned against it a few times.

Eurus
2010-01-06, 08:12 PM
(Sorry, my computer died and I had to get it fixed. Apparently the hard drive literally wore out. I didn't even know they did that. >_>)

(Anyway. Taking 20 on strength to pop that door open.)

Dasha gets to work on the door with her dagger, trying to work it open relatively quietly.

Koury
2010-01-06, 08:25 PM
Dasha is able to pop the door open with minimal trouble. The hall beyond gos on a little ways before turning to the west.

You head that noise again, louder and coming from down the hall.

((Yay, you're alive!))

Eurus
2010-01-06, 08:26 PM
Dasha sheaths her daggers and draws her bow before carefully creeping forward and peeking around the corner.

Koury
2010-01-06, 08:37 PM
The hall turns to the south quickly. The hall goes on for a ways before turning west again. You can see a portcullis blocking the hall where it turns west.

Eurus
2010-01-06, 08:41 PM
Dasha heads back into the room with four doors, and searches the last door; the one on the east wall.

Koury
2010-01-06, 08:43 PM
((You searched this one already. Locked and you couldn't pick it.))

Eurus
2010-01-06, 09:00 PM
((Oops.))

Realizing her mistake, Dasha instead goes back to the north-south hallway and heads all the way to the north, to take the last left turn.

Koury
2010-01-06, 09:14 PM
This hallway heads east a good ways before turning south again. The moaning noise gets louder as you advance down this hall also.

Eurus
2010-01-06, 09:31 PM
Hoping to be on the right track to... er, to somewhere, Dasha slips down this hall, still clutching her bow.

Koury
2010-01-06, 09:53 PM
Paranoia
Dasha turns the corner and and finds the source of the noise. There is a ghoul lurking in the room ahead. It hasn't spotted you yet.

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus18.jpg

Eurus
2010-01-06, 10:07 PM
Like a hunter spotting its prey, Dasha slides an arrow into her bow and draws back, before firing one shot at the ghoul.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]

((Inspiration point on damage if it hits))

Koury
2010-01-06, 10:12 PM
The arrow hits its mark, dealing heavy damage.

The ghoul looks around confused for a second before spotting you. With a terrible shriek, it mobilizes.

[roll0]

Eurus
2010-01-06, 11:01 PM
A thin smile on her face, Dasha swiftly nocks another arrow and fires again before ducking ten feet west.

[roll0]
[roll1]

(One IP on attack, and another on damage if I hit))

Koury
2010-01-06, 11:04 PM
Your second arrow hits the undead with enough force to slam him into the wall behind him, his shriek cut short. He then falls to the floor, seemingly re-dead.

Eurus
2010-01-06, 11:18 PM
"Excellent..."

Dasha peeks around the corner into the room that the ghoul inhabited.

Koury
2010-01-06, 11:22 PM
The room isn't terribly big and its just as plain as the others here. There is a wooden door in the NW corner going west. Upon inspection, it appears untrapped and unlocked.

Eurus
2010-01-06, 11:25 PM
Then she shall open it.

Koury
2010-01-06, 11:32 PM
The room beyond appears... odd.

It looks almost as though it is filled with water, but there is nothing spilling out of the doorway. Floating in the middle of the room appears to be a key.

((Oh yeah. Gain: 300 XP))

Eurus
2010-01-06, 11:48 PM
Suspecting this to be either a test or a trap, Dasha pokes a fingertip into the water to see if it melts off or something. She sniffs the water that beads on her finger, and then tastes it if it seems normal.

Koury
2010-01-06, 11:57 PM
You poke the plane. Its hot. Actually, it kinda burns. It really burns!

((1 damage))

You see the plane seem to pull itself inward, becoming concave. It then suddenly bulges out!

[roll0] vs flatfooted AC
[roll1] plus [roll2]

Eurus
2010-01-07, 12:04 AM
((And here I thought you couldn't possibly be that obvious, and that it would be filled with ingested poison or something. :smalltongue: This is going to be difficult, though, since one failed save against paralysis will kill me...))

Dasha nimbly dodges back, yelping. She scampers away 30 feet and fires an arrow at it.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-01-07, 12:19 AM
((Hehe. I was hoping you didn't just jump in head first. THEN you'd be in trouble (read: dead). As it is, you just won the fight as the doorway isn't big enough for him to get through and there is no rear exit out of that room. Fast forward a few rounds?))

Eurus
2010-01-07, 12:41 AM
((Woo, cool. Yeah, that works. Otherwise this is going to be extremely tedious.))

Koury
2010-01-07, 01:00 AM
An astonishingly high amount of arrows later, you are fairly certain it is finally dead.

Eurus
2010-01-07, 02:45 AM
((I'm assuming the leftover goo left the room somehow once the cube was dead; evaporated, or slid down a drain or something.))

Confidently, Dasha marches into the room and takes the key.

Koury
2010-01-07, 02:56 AM
((I... What DOES a cube do when it dies? Sure, the energy it normally spent holding its form fails upon death. Killing one is like poking a full water balloon, but the acid goo is inert all of a sudden.

I guess... Also, even though circumstances made the fight easier you get full XPs for it. It could have killed you, after all. Gain: 900 XP))

Dasha is now in possession of a key. It is extremely clean and very shiny.

The room is very plain, as all the others here seem to be. ((Its another 3x3 room. I'll map it in a bit)) There are no other doors here.

Eurus
2010-01-07, 03:06 AM
((So Dasha levels up, and this time will take a level in Fighter. Her new feats are Two-Weapon Fighting and Weapon Finesse.))

She will head back to the door with the lock she couldn't pick, and try the key.

Koury
2010-01-07, 03:23 AM
The key fits the lock. After a bit of fidgiting, Dasha pops the lock.

Eurus
2010-01-07, 03:39 AM
Dasha opens the door. :smallbiggrin:

Koury
2010-01-07, 03:52 AM
The hallway goes beyond the door about 15 feet before branching both north and south.

Eurus
2010-01-07, 04:48 AM
Dasha peers to the north and south.

Koury
2010-01-09, 12:09 AM
The north hall continues on for about 20 ft before it deadends.

The south hall leads to a door.

Eurus
2010-01-09, 12:11 AM
For the sake of being thorough, she goes to search the dead end first. Then, if she doesn't find anything, she searches the door.

Koury
2010-01-09, 12:25 AM
The dead end appears to be an actual dead end.

The door appears to be unlocked and untrapped.

Assuming you open it, the room on the other side is empty. There is a hall leading out of the room to the west, then turns north out of sight.

Eurus
2010-01-09, 12:27 AM
Dasha will head down this hall, peeking to the north.

Koury
2010-01-09, 12:36 AM
The hall to the north turns into stairs heading down.

((I'll post the full map (since you've now been everywhere on this floor) in a minute.

Also, I need a little time to finalize the next area. I know what I will have happen, but I need to get it all mechanically worked out.))

Eurus
2010-01-09, 12:46 AM
Alright, cool. When you're ready, Dasha will go on down the stairs. I don't think there's anything I still wanted to do up here right now...

Koury
2010-01-10, 09:57 PM
Just for posterity:

Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Eurus/Eurus.jpg

Just ignore my room numbers and door markings. And the number up top.

I'm waiting on someone else before I can continue this... I'm trying though :smallbiggrin:

Eurus
2010-01-11, 12:30 AM
No problem. :smallsmile:

Eurus
2010-01-14, 04:57 PM
Just bumping this, and wondering what the time frame for continuing is looking like. :smallwink:

Koury
2010-01-14, 05:00 PM
I'm trying to get another player in. He'll know soon (before monday) if he can commit enough time to join or not.

If not, then Monday. I'm already ready already. :smallbiggrin:

Eurus
2010-01-14, 05:13 PM
Cool. :smallbiggrin:

Koury
2010-01-15, 07:25 PM
Eurus:As you descend the stairs you feel a faint breeze. You rush forward excited to get out of this place. The hall turns and you can see the mouth of a cave, exiting to the outside. In your path, however, is a human wielding a scythe. Your eyes meet.

((Feel free to post in the open))

DS:You arrive at the location that shifty man you hate so much told you to go. There is a cave there. As you are just walking through the entrance someone appears from inside the cave. You are fairly certain it is who you were sent to find.

((Feel free to post in the open))

Eurus
2010-01-15, 10:35 PM
Eyes widening, Dasha leaps back and pulls out two daggers. She doesn't immediately throw them, though; this was the first humanoid she'd seen down here. "Who the hell are you?"

Drodic
2010-01-16, 02:05 AM
Drodic steps forward. "I was just about to ask you the same."

I approach cautiously. "Are you by chance Demal?"

Koury
2010-01-16, 02:11 AM
((Note to both of you: Eurus is only level 3 at the moment. I can't bring myself to give a bunch of free XP, but I WILL be awarding XP as appropriate to DS and XP as if he were solo to Eurus until the gap is closed))

Eurus
2010-01-16, 02:48 AM
The woman counters Drodic's step forward with a simultaneous step back, but lowers her daggers slightly as she shakes her head. "Never heard of her. My name's Dasha."

She had briefly considered using a fake name, but decided there wasn't much of a point to it right now. "I don't even know where I am, I just woke up here."

Drodic
2010-01-16, 03:46 AM
Drodic takes a moment to look her over. He decides to believe her for now, but realizes she could still be Demal.

"Drodic," I say, looking less hostile then before, though I'm still wary of her.

I keep an eye out for any suspicious behaviors. I also look for notable features.

Eurus
2010-01-16, 04:24 AM
Dasha is a young looking elf woman, slender and petite, wearing leather armor. She doesn't have any scars or tattoos, but her eyes are heterochromatic; one blue, the other green.

"Well, Drodic, do you know how to get out of this place? If it's money you're after, I can pay you - I just want to get out of here alive."

Drodic
2010-01-16, 10:09 PM
((I have to pick a new dialogue color now >.> :smallwink:))

"Yes, I do...You came out of this cave you say? :smallconfused:" Drodic says, walking towards the way she came from, keeping an eye on Dasha. "About how long have you been in here you think?"

Eurus
2010-01-16, 11:01 PM
She shrugs. "I don't know how long I was out for, but I woke up not that long ago. Spent a while getting through a maze of secret passages and monsters upstairs, I'd guess that took me a few hours."

Drodic
2010-01-17, 03:13 PM
"Hmm.. Well I see no harm escorting you to the city, It will take a few days though, I will take you there later, as I would like to search the area for a while" Drodic says to Dasha. Still wanting to search the general area of where the rather stalker like Shady Man had told him Demal would be, in hopes of leaving with something, rather than empty handed, keeping a close eye on Dasha should she chose to follow.

Eurus
2010-01-17, 07:24 PM
"If you don't mind me asking, why are you looking for this 'Demal' person, anyway?" She looks somewhat suspicious.

Drodic
2010-01-17, 08:51 PM
"I was sent to...find out what happened to her." Drodic says cautiously. "So are you following for the search, or shall you wait untill I return? Either way I am going to start looking."

Eurus
2010-01-17, 11:11 PM
Dasha seems to consider saying something, then changes her mind. She hadn't survived as long as she had by blurting out every little thing, after all, especially to people she didn't trust. But then, she was also curious. "What do you even know about this girl?"

Koury
2010-01-17, 11:41 PM
((Just a note, if it wasn't clear, you are at the exit of the cave. It says so in your spoiler'd post above))

Eurus
2010-01-18, 12:00 AM
((Oh, I must have missed that in all the excitement. Ignore the seemingly nonsensical comments, then; I'm editing my post. >_>))

Drodic
2010-01-19, 04:43 PM
Drodic thinks of a way to put this without revealing too much: "She was exiled by her guild, and considered dangerous" glancing at Dasha. "Make up your mind soon, for I am going to start searching now"

Eurus
2010-01-20, 02:53 PM
"Hey!" she suddenly snaps at him, irritated. "I'll have you know, I'm quite dangerous, but that doesn't mean I'm psychotic."

As she speaks, she quickly begins backing away and raising her daggers into a defensive position. "...I think that's my cue to leave. I doubt you'll listen, but I strongly suggest that you don't try to catch me. I'm more than a match for some merc who doesn't even recognize his target even when he's standing right in front of her."

Drodic
2010-01-20, 07:03 PM
((How far away is she exactly? :smallconfused: and how much XP would I get for killing her :smallamused:))

Koury
2010-01-20, 07:17 PM
((Shes worth 600 XP to you :smallbiggrin: You're worth 2700 to her :smalleek:))

Dasha is about 45 ft away, as shes been keeping her distance from Drodic since they started talking. Dasha is about 120 ft from the entrance to the cave. Drodic is about 165 feet from the entrance ((He walked past Dasha a few posts ago))

Stairs up...Drodic...Dasha...Cave Exit.

Eurus
2010-01-20, 07:26 PM
((Heh. Shame Dasha doesn't have any idea of Drodic's relative strength compared to hers...))

Drodic
2010-01-20, 07:31 PM
((Hmm....))

"Well, I'm not suprised there"

Drodic draws his longbow

"I would rather not have to kill you, as I wasn't planning to in the first place, but I can't let you leave..yet"

Ready Action: Trigger: Dasha makes hositle movement and/or moves towards exit
Action: Attack

Koury
2010-01-20, 07:37 PM
((Eurus: Drodics Sheet (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=31722)))

((DS: Dashas sheet is somewhere on the second page I believe. Where ever he leveled up at.))

Eurus
2010-01-20, 07:43 PM
((Dasha's sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=174720)))

Dasha stops moving, but keeps up her guard. "Planning on bringing me in, then? Because you know I won't come along quietly."

Drodic
2010-01-20, 07:49 PM
"No, actually, I was hopng I could get some information, then I was most likely going to let you go, that is, assuming all would go well"

Drodic smirks

"Although you could be of more use to me, possibly"

Ready Action: Trigger: Dasha makes hositle movement and/or moves towards exit

Eurus
2010-01-20, 08:02 PM
Dasha's expression returns to one of confused suspicion. "Alright... Ask, but I can't guarantee an answer."

Koury
2010-01-20, 08:05 PM
"Are you gonna kill her or not?"

A voice comes suddenly out of thin air, between Dasha and the exit. Both Dasha and Drodic instantly recognize it. It is the voice of...

Drodic The shady man whos been harassing you since you started adventuring, and who sent you on this mission.

Dasha Reyl. Expert tracker and assassin. A rival of yours from the guild for a long time and, you believe, instrumental in your being outcast.

Drodic
2010-01-20, 08:08 PM
"Well, I really don't like the person who told me to find you, and I would like to know what you know about him" Drodic replies, hoping to get some answers

Drodics bow instantly turns to the man: "This is about to be interesting"

Ready Action: Trigger: Dasha/Shady man makes hositle movement and/or moves towards exit

Eurus
2010-01-20, 08:12 PM
Dasha immediately snaps to attention, looking behind her as she yells in anger and fear. "Reyl?! Gah, I should've known it was you!"

Koury
2010-01-20, 08:17 PM
"And I should have known a place like this wouldn't kill you."

As he says this his invisibility fades, revealing him 30 ft from Dasha, rapier in hand.

"You shouldn't have tried to expose me the way you did. You cost me a lot of clout within the guild. Drodic, now is the time! Strike her down!"

[roll0]

Drodic
2010-01-20, 08:19 PM
"God dammit" :smallsigh: Drodic sighs to himself

[roll0]

Eurus
2010-01-20, 08:21 PM
Dasha echoes the sentiment, louder.

[roll0]

Koury
2010-01-20, 08:34 PM
Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Rehl1.jpg

((Dashas up first))

Eurus
2010-01-20, 08:58 PM
Acting quickly, Dasha ducks twenty feet to the north, ready to attack.

Readied action:
If anyone tries to engage her in melee, she'll throw a dagger at them. Spending an IP on damage, if she hits. Also switching to Child of Shadow stance as a swift action.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Drodic
2010-01-20, 09:08 PM
Drodic Fires an arrow at The Shady man, trying to make it look like he fired at Dasha.

[roll0] (+10 from attack bonus +1 from MW Arrow)
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

After Firing Drodic moves 25ft East, and 5ft South

Koury
2010-01-20, 09:10 PM
Dasha quickly heads north so as to not be trapped between two enemies. She is watching both very carefully. Drodic fires an arrow quickly, trying to conceal his target. The deception, however, messes with his aim and he fires wide.

Reyl is the next to act.

"Good bye Dasha. Savor the next few second, for they are to be your last!"

With that, Reyl charges Dasha. As he does so Dasha lets fly a dagger. It flies true, striking Reyl in the arm. His charge seems to lose no momentum, however.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Edited to fix my error (forgot Drodic went before Reyl). Nothing major changed.

Eurus
2010-01-20, 09:16 PM
((Barely missed. You didn't roll concealment, though. ;) And since Dasha's initiative changed to Reyl's from her readied action, it should be Drodic's turn again.))

Koury
2010-01-20, 09:20 PM
((Yeah, I realized I forgot concealment, but he missed so I ignored it :smallbiggrin: And yeah, Drodic is up. Then Dasha then Reyl))

Drodic
2010-01-20, 09:26 PM
((so Reyl is next to Dasha correct? Either way...))

Drodic moves to where Dasha started and fires another arrow at Reyl, this time it is more obvious who he is aiming for...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Koury
2010-01-20, 09:30 PM
((You forgot to take a -4 for firing into a melee, but you hit regardless))

Drodic closes the distance and fires again. This time he doesn't miss. Rehl screams in surprise and pain.

"You fool! Don't you know who you're dealing with?!"