PDA

View Full Version : Bounty for Various Monsters [4e]

Fuzzie Fuzz
2009-12-22, 09:41 PM
The Level 2 party I'm DMing for is in a large town trying to raise money. They found out that there's a bounty for killing various monsters that live in the swamp/lake near the town. I'm planning on having various settlements of Bullywugs, Myconids, Lizardfolk, Sahuagin, and Kuo-Toa, getting progressively higher-level the farther from town they are. (There will also be snakes, vine horrors, etc., but there won't be a bounty for them.) I'm not planning on the players actually fighting any Kuo-Toa, and possibly not any Sahuagin, but I want the prices to be available if they come back at a higher level.

So my question is, what do you think the bounty for each of the above should be, keeping in mind that the party is only level 2? (Possibly separating them into types, like greenscale, blackscale, and poisonscale Lizardfolk.)

RebelRogue
2009-12-22, 09:53 PM
The Level 2 party I'm DMing for is in a large town trying to raise money. They found out that there's a bounty for killing various monsters that live in the swamp/lake near the town. I'm planning on having various settlements of Bullywugs, Myconids, Lizardfolk, Sahuagin, and Kuo-Toa, getting progressively higher-level the farther from town they are. (There will also be snakes, vine horrors, etc., but there won't be a bounty for them.) I'm not planning on the players actually fighting any Kuo-Toa, and possibly not any Sahuagin, but I want the prices to be available if they come back at a higher level.

So my question is, what do you think the bounty for each of the above should be, keeping in mind that the party is only level 2? (Possibly separating them into types, like greenscale, blackscale, and poisonscale Lizardfolk.)
Assign a treasure parcel (or maybe even two) to each. They're there for a reason :smallsmile:

awa
2009-12-22, 09:58 PM
well from a role playing perspective as opposed to a mechanical perspective
Various creatures should have bounties based in part on their power but more importantly on how much damage their doing to the town (assuming the monsters are the aggressors)

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-12-22, 10:04 PM
Bounties are given based on how strongly the authority wants the target monster dead. That can be based on aggressiveness of said monster, damage capability of said monster, and personal dislikes of the authority.

DabblerWizard
2009-12-22, 10:16 PM

The level 2 treasure parcel value suggested by the DMG 1, is 1040gp.

--- You could figure out a mechanically appropriate bounty by dividing 1040 with X number of encounters, and then divide it again by Y number of monsters in each encounter.

E.G. : If they only fight one type of monster, and you assume they'll do all three encounters... 1040 gp, 3 encounters, 5 monsters per encounter: 69.3 or about 70gp per monster.

--- You can make an in-game decision based on how much money the town has, who is paying the players, whether the players can diplomance more money out of the leader, etc.

FoE
2009-12-22, 10:39 PM
1 level-appropriate treasure parcel for bullywug mud lords and 10 g.p. for each mook. 50 g.p. for each lizard man and 1 level-appropriate treasure parcel for their shamans. 100 g.p. for the basic sahaugin mook and 1-2 level-appropriate treasure parcels for a baron. 500 g.p. for any kuo-toa. Nothing for myconids, unless you can bring back proof of a colony's destruction (in which case that should equate to a quest reward).

I just pulled these numbers out of my head. They shouldn't necessarily be considered reasonable.