PDA

View Full Version : V's raven's question to the Oracle in #331

goodyarn
2009-12-22, 10:44 PM
Is the raven's question to the Oracle back in #331 something along the lines of: "How do I get V to remember that I exist so I don't keep poofing in and out of existence?"

The Oracle's answer is "Try ginko bilboa" (sic), which I take to mean "ginko biloba" which among other things is supposed to improve memory.

I had just never gotten the joke before, and had assumed until recently that the raven poofed in and out because V wanted it to. But lately, it's been spelled out that the raven poofs because V forgets about it.

Just wondering.

Conuly
2009-12-22, 10:48 PM
Yeah, that's almost certainly it. We know because previously, when the raven poofed into existence, V would laugh nervously and claim he'd "been at my side the whole time", and also because gingko biloba is reputed to improve memory. Apparently, it's a joke on how many people with familiars in D&D forget about their familiar altogether until and unless they just lost a fight and suddenly go "Wait! My familiar! He should have influenced it! Let's have a do-over!" which is just silly.

AsteriskAmp
2009-12-23, 08:05 PM
Also, in my experience familiars are a great way to be able to use Pluralis Majestatis (Royal We) without being recriminated, tied, gagged and taken to a Psychiatric Inn. I myself am guilty, god save Familiars, and that was long before OotS commented on it, now it has spiraled out of control.

Herald Alberich
2009-12-24, 03:25 AM
Yes indeed, this comic has taught me to always be aware of where my hawk is, and to mention that I have him land on my shoulder when I need Alertness. He gives me a bonus to Spot in two different ways. I try to make sure not to forget it.

ericgrau
2009-12-24, 10:32 PM
That's the common conception, but I don't buy it myself. Ginko Biloba is a common alternative remedy for a wide variety of ails, and "try Ginko Biloba" has a casual style as one might use when recommending an opinion to a friend. Like if you get a sunburn and someone tells you to put some aloe on it. Or you get a cold and they say to take some vitamin C. Not the tone you'd use for a major condition requiring immediate attention. The joke is that the raven would need anything at all, and that it doesn't really matter what the Ginko is for.

Ubergeek
2009-12-24, 10:47 PM
With recent events, I'm doubting the question was "How can I get V to remember me?"

If that was the question, a better answer would be, "Let your master gain Complete and Total Ultimate Arcane Power and then prove it's not enough and she still needs your help."