PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Caster Help

Exthalion
2009-12-23, 02:06 AM
Thank you for answering this question. To explain my rather odd request I will include the context of the question if you don't mind or have time to read it.

I have found my first tabletop D&D campaign so I am kind of unsure about most things in the game. I have the core rules and some supplements because I have been wanting to play for a long time.

We are playing with 3.5 rules in ancient Faerun, before Karsus' folly. The primary caster, a wizard who came back with the other characters from 'modern times' has had to leave the game so I am allowed to replace her.

There are two parties that are being played, that are working in the past and present (I left my misgiving about that to myself.) Each one is a different group of people with the same DM. Each week we find out how the other group did.

My group is the one in the past. I am starting at level 1 and the average party level is 7.

Because this and the setting the DM has asked me to play this Arcanist (http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=356) class for the time being.

If we ever go to the present all those levels will change to wizard levels.

For the time being I am going to be on something of an accelerated XP track so getting to level 7 will not take very long.

My question is this: What prestige classes should I take to maximize my power and versatility.

Cheese is very much allowed. I have heard of Incantatrix and Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil. Any other suggestions?

If anyone would be willing to, what would be a good progression along these lines up to say level 60? I have heard this DM's campaign run for months and almost always end with characters over 40.

Thank you again for answering.

Grumman
2009-12-23, 02:11 AM
My group is the one in the past. I am starting at level 1 and the average party level is 7.
You're a 1st level character, facing 7th level adversaries?

Start off with a level of Warblade just so you don't die instantly, then go arcane and go for gish PrCs.

Exthalion
2009-12-23, 02:15 AM
You're a 1st level character, facing 7th level adversaries?

Start off with a level of Warblade just so you don't die instantly, then go arcane and go for gish PrCs.

Well, the I am being introduced as important to the plot so I suppose the other PC's will try to keep me alive like they would a low level NPC. Wow, I am being treated like an NPC. I feel...dirty. (Bonus points if people remember that reference [though I did change it slightly.])

Thank you for answering so quickly.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-23, 03:23 AM
If you want all of your buff spells to last all day long, grab Persistent Spell, go Incantatrix, boost Spellcraft through the rough with whatever resources you have and laugh. Item Familiars are a good pick for that end. It would also help you catch up, level wise.

Other prestige classes of note, as already mentioned, are Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil, since it stops antimagic fields from clouding your day. I'm partial to Malconvoker, but that's heavily summoning focused and probably not what you're looking for.

Mage of the Arcane Order can help in a pinch. Archmage, while a ways off, certainly is delightful.

Kylarra
2009-12-23, 03:25 AM
if your campaign is going to epic levels, it really doesn't matter what you end up taking on the way as long as you end up with epic casting...

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-23, 03:28 AM
if your campaign is going to epic levels, it really doesn't matter what you end up taking on the way as long as you end up with epic casting...

Considering that the character is before the fall of Netheril, that also means "true" 10th level+ spells, which blow "epic" spells out of the water. See also: that's saying something.