PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth $360?

Jacklu
2009-12-23, 03:18 AM
I am in a strange mood. One in which I feel compelled to purchase The Hat. Yes, That The Hat. (http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/indiana_jones_hat.jpg) And possibly the jacket (http://www.wested.com/raiders-of-lost-ark-jacket-authentic-lamb-103-p.asp) to go with it. Why? Well... Because Indiana Jones. The question is, is it worth $360 I could spend elsewhere on more important things, like food or college?

What are your thoughts on it playground? Yay or Ney?

Gaelbert
2009-12-23, 04:00 AM
No. I too have great desires to purchase incredibly stylish items of clothing. And then I realize I could probably use the $360 to feed myself for a month and a half. However, this comes from the person who wears shorts year around in the snow because shorts are less expensive than pants. You are really the only person who can place a value on any of those items. If it were me, I wouldn't, but it's not.

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-23, 04:41 AM
The Jacket? Maybe. It's stylish and functional and full of AWESOME.
The Hat? Maybe. It's stylish and iconic and also full of AWESOME. Plus, you can drop it and grab it just before the door shuts, or something.
Both together? You'll look like you're trying too hard, and it doesn't really work as an outfit, unless you're at a convention or something. So no.
It depends. Are you a hat person? By this, I mean, is wearing a hat your natural state? Is there a union between hat and head? If so, get the hat. If not, you'll inevitably look worse with it on, no matter how awesome the actual hat.
But in the end, it's your choice whether you want a new hat, or a new jacket, or food or whatever.

Vic_Sage
2009-12-23, 04:53 AM
Yeah if you got the cash. But then again I'm the guy who will drop $300 on a pair of shoes.

multilis
2009-12-23, 04:57 AM
IMO no, best but hard to do would be to save the money for a rainy day.

There might be a second hand store near a richer part of your city that carries stuff nearly as nice for many times cheaper, especially in winter months after Christmas.

Frozen_Feet
2009-12-23, 04:58 AM
Depends on whether you'll still have money for food and college after you've bought them. I've been throwing around money like crazy this year, put then again army has been paying my living expenses pretty well.

So, if it's just a temporary tint in your pile of filthy lucre, go for it. If you have to eat canned soy beans for a month because of them, don't.

Setra
2009-12-23, 05:08 AM
Go for it!

If you regret it then it'll teach you to think more about what you buy and the lesson would be worth it. If you don't regret it, then it was worth it anyways because you like it enough.

Felixaar
2009-12-23, 06:22 AM
Give it a week, maybe a month, and see how you feel.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-12-23, 06:35 AM
A friend of mine picked up a jacket like that for £7 in a charity shop.

Don't jump in there, you can probably find one of the same quality for cheaper elsewhere.

Vagnarok
2009-12-23, 09:29 AM
Do it! Do it! Do it!

But only buy the hat, that way you can buy a cheaper and identical jacket to save some cash.

Eldan
2009-12-23, 09:39 AM
Hat usage depends on hairstyle and head-shape. Some people look good wearing hats, others look silly.
The jacket is nice.
And, as said before, I somehow can't see the two of them fitting together. Wasn't Indy's jacket brown?

Jack Squat
2009-12-23, 10:03 AM
The hat should cost $50. The jacket from Crusade was pretty similar to the A2 flight jackets, which can be found cheaper used, but are a little more expensive new than that repro (from a quick Google anyways).

As far as should you get it? Do you have any other obligations (bills, food, other debt) with that $360? If not, then go for it.

Keshay
2009-12-23, 10:16 AM
Sure the hat is cool. Really cool. The problem is, men's hats are out of style. And I mean men's hats, not baseball caps or skullcaps or whatever. Wearing an actual Fedora in public is, well, weird. I know, I bought "the hat" a year and a half ago.

There is a good amount of etiquitte involved in wearing a hat in a dignified fashion. Indoors? Take it off (exception: "open-air" buildings such as a mall or warehouse-style store like Best Buy or Costco). Meeting someone? Take it off. There are others, but you get the idea.

It might seem archaic, or pointless, or you may think you would not care but you'd be wrong. Even though the men's hat has not been a staple of American fashion for awhile, somehow most folks are still aware of the appropriate etiquitte that should be followed. Espically in a professional setting. Compounding the difficulty is the fact that the hats most guys are familiar with, the aforementioned baseball cap, have somehow gotten a pass in regards to etiquitte. Every time they show the crowd at a sporting event while the national anthem is being played I see some yokel too lazy or ignorant to take off thier hat, its pathetic...

Anyhow, I guess what I'm trying to say is If you know how to correctly wear a hat, then its ok to wear it. If however, you're unaware or do not care about the etiquitte, do yourself a favor and don't bother. If you do buy an wear the hat, be aware you will be treated differently. Gentlemen's hats have become a bit of an anachronism, and those who wear them are perceived as eccentric. However, it is a good way to make an impression. just make sure the impression is good, or you'll be "that crazy guy with the Indiana Jones hat".

Lord Herman
2009-12-23, 11:22 AM
I agree with the others. Hat or jacket. Not both.

As for the choice between hat and food, I'd choose hat. Unless I was hungry. Because hats don't taste very good.

thubby
2009-12-23, 12:01 PM
when it comes to cloths, I'm of the mind that unless you will wear it everywhere and it will last years, you shouldn't spend exorbitant amounts of money on it.

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-23, 01:29 PM
nope - definately not. You could find a superior quality fedora elsewhere for MUCH cheaper.

if you buy the hat for that price you are a mug

Tawmis
2009-12-23, 01:33 PM
I'd personally say go for it. But then I am a collector. I bought, for example, something I will never be able to use - Beta Ray Bill's hammer, Stormbreaker. (http://www.actionfigureexpress.com/maberaybistr.html) (Though for more than half of what linked site lists it for).

Jacklu
2009-12-23, 02:59 PM
Thanks all! I'm voting nay for now. Darn you and your logical arguments. I'm probably going to buy a cheaper version of the hat, as they can be found quite plentifully with very little effort, and say no to the expensive jacket. On a side note, I am planning in the near future to lay down some money to buy a nice suit now that my college career is coming to an end. I plan on a suit that is well complimented by a brown fedora. =3

Minstrel Cowboy
2010-01-17, 02:56 PM
I'm all for the Jacket.
It probably smells leathery too.

I LOVE THAT SMELL!:biggrin:

skywalker
2010-01-17, 03:27 PM
Hat usage depends on hairstyle and head-shape. Some people look good wearing hats, others look silly.
The jacket is nice.
And, as said before, I somehow can't see the two of them fitting together. Wasn't Indy's jacket brown?

The jacket OP linked was also brown. Just darker brown.

Personally, I've had one of those hats that was linked, and it is not "The Hat." Indiana Jones certainly didn't wear a little "Indiana Jones" insignia on his hat. This site (http://www.indygear.com/igvendors.html) has a list of people who sell both Hat and jacket, and a lot of insight into how screen accurate and pricey each option is.

Dr.Epic
2010-01-18, 08:56 AM
I'd say no, but then again I want a pair of $120 sunglasses.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-18, 11:24 AM
Unless you're buying the actual hat and jacket worn by Harrison Ford, it's not worth it.

Sneak
2010-01-18, 11:46 AM
Why has this thread returned?

skywalker
2010-01-18, 06:10 PM
Why has this thread returned?

Cuz someone posted to it yesterday, I found the question interesting, and I didn't notice the date before responding?

It's less than a month old, no foul as far as I can see.