PDA

View Full Version : How common is your name?

Setra
2009-12-23, 05:18 AM
Just an amusing little thought from reading the name change thread.

My name is incredibly common, I went to school with thirteen people sharing my name (First and Last), and many more sharing just my first name (John).

If I type my first and last name into google I get about 87 million results, 37 million if I include my middle name. I think I might have the most common name in the world but I'm not sure, my last name isn't Doe but it's pretty common.

Comet
2009-12-23, 05:20 AM
First name- quite rare
first name and last name combined- completely unique
That's one thing I like about being me. :smallbiggrin:

Solaris
2009-12-23, 05:23 AM
My surname? I know just about everyone in North America who shares my surname. The only ones I don't know are from the branch who came over a bit before Philip James (my great-grandfather) and his family did.
My given name? Steven. 'Nuff said.

Nameless
2009-12-23, 05:24 AM
You'd think my name would be common, however I hardly ever meet anyone with it.

UnChosenOne
2009-12-23, 05:28 AM
There is six persons with same first name than me. Well, atleast last time when I did check, but it was about six months ago. But family name is litel bit more common.

Emperor Ing
2009-12-23, 05:34 AM
Just an amusing little thought from reading the name change thread.

My name is incredibly common, I went to school with thirteen people sharing my name (First and Last), and many more sharing just my first name (John).

If I type my first and last name into google I get about 87 million results, 37 million if I include my middle name. I think I might have the most common name in the world but I'm not sure, my last name isn't Doe but it's pretty common.

Smith? :smalltongue: (http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm)

Setra
2009-12-23, 05:36 AM
Smith? :smalltongue: (http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm)
Huh.. I'm actually past 20 on that list, though before 30, I'm surprised nonetheless.

I'm number 2 here though (http://names.mongabay.com/male_names.htm). My brother is number one though.

John, Paul, and George are pretty common.. but where's Ringo?

Emperor Ing
2009-12-23, 05:43 AM
I know 3 Johns and 4 people with my first name alone. Having a common name sucks. :smallsigh:

Dispozition
2009-12-23, 05:44 AM
39 million for first name, 236,000 for last name. 77 results for first and last, but only two different (a lot of them are mine), and totally unique (no hits) for first middle and last together.

Setra
2009-12-23, 05:47 AM
39 million for first name, 236,000 for last name. 77 results for first and last, but only two different (a lot of them are mine), and totally unique (no hits) for first middle and last together.
Just my first name gets over a billion results :smalleek:

I know 3 Johns and 4 people with my first name alone. Having a common name sucks. :smallsigh:
Well I'm sure there's some benefits.. I bet it's harder to track people down when their name is common.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-23, 05:48 AM
According to NameStatistics.com, my given name is likely to be shared with about half a million other Americans.

My surname is much less common, supposedly shared by only about 35000 Americans.

*looks up 'Zeb' on a whim*

Hmmm, it just says "Very few males have Zeb as a first name" which is the same result I get if I just put in random characters, so it must not be in their database, which has more than 1100 male first names. I can name at least one person who does have that name, though, but I think it's not his real name (Zeb Cook, and no, that's not where I got my username from).

Zar Peter
2009-12-23, 06:02 AM
On name statistic my First name is Nr. 43 in America and my last name is very rare. In Austria I think I know all but one with the same last name as I have.

Dogmantra
2009-12-23, 06:04 AM
I'm not too sure exactly how popular my name (Nicholas) is in the whole world, or the country, but in my year at school, there are 4. It's not that big a school. In one of my classes, I used to sit next to one of them, while the other sat behind us. It was a nightmare for the teacher who would say "Nick" and we'd all answer. Then he started pointing, but since he wasn't that close, it would look like he was pointing just in the middle of the three of us. Eventually he started using surnames too.

I know of a website where someone who shares both my first and last name was trying to plot every person who shares our name on a map. The coding was messed up last time I saw it though.

Destro_Yersul
2009-12-23, 06:05 AM
I have a very uncommon name, apparently. Roughly 9000 Americans with the same name. #803 in rarity, by NameStatistics. Also according to them, my last name is rare.

I do, however, know that my first name is quite common in Scotland, and I imagine there's more than a few Norwegians with similar last names.

Reinboom
2009-12-23, 06:06 AM
Letsee, according to Name Statistics, my first name (Reina) is the 1206th most common female first name with 0.006% of US females possessing it.

My last name (Sweet) is the 932nd most common last name with 0.013% of US people possessing it.

That makes me extremely unique, at least, in the US.

Doing a google search of Reina Sweet, out of the first 10 results, 6 are about me.

A google search of "Reina Tesla Sweet" produces 0 results. Soon, most likely, 1 result.

So, yeah, my name is probably extremely unique in full. :smalltongue:

Mary Leathert
2009-12-23, 06:07 AM
My first name is quite common in Finland (it's the Finnish equivalent of Mary, just change the last letter).

But, my last name is shared only by our family, because some greatgreatgrandfather or something like that changed it from a Swedish surname when that was in fashion. First two suggestions for the Finnish version didn't get through the authorities, this one did. And it doesn't mean anything. Most people mishear the first time. I still like it, because it's unique. Though the Swedish name, Sabel, would have been cool as well.

If I Google my name I get some results, but they're all about me and there aren't much of them.

Interestingly, if I Google my Internet name (which you can all see to the left), most of the results are still about me. (Though there is one old parish record, so apparently, Leathert has actually been a name once).

Emperor Ing
2009-12-23, 06:09 AM
Well I'm sure there's some benefits.. I bet it's harder to track people down when their name is common.

You'd be wrong, everyone knows me. :smallsigh:

Aiani
2009-12-23, 06:10 AM
My first name is very rare because I know I've never met anyone with the same name. Apparently my last name (Walker) is the 25th most common name in the US but that's not really surprising.

Altaria87
2009-12-23, 06:10 AM
My first name is the seventh most common male name in Britain (or eigth, can't remember). Not sure about my surname, but I do know one person who shares both my first and last name.

Setra
2009-12-23, 06:17 AM
You'd be wrong, everyone knows me. :smallsigh:
I meant on the internet.

For example, my name is common enough (John Hall) I feel I could say it without much fear people could find me based purely on my name (Even knowing the state I live in). This coming from a schizo.

Letsee, according to Name Statistics, my first name (Reina) is the 1206th most common female first name with 0.006% of US females possessing it.
Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce your name?

Felixaar
2009-12-23, 06:19 AM
So, I search "josh" because I accidently pressed enter before doing my full name, and I come up with an indian fusion band, Planet Josh (http://www.planetjosh.com). Cool. Very cool.

When I search Joshua I get 81 Mil, when I search Joshua Elliott I get 2.5 Mil, when I search Joshua Thomas Stanley Elliott I get only 1, which is from a post in the "Who are you?" thread. I imagine there'll be two now. I'm surprised I've never said my full name on my blog or something.

Yay for uniquity! Yay for four names!

Roc Ness
2009-12-23, 06:19 AM
My first name is very rare because I know I've never met anyone with the same name. Apparently my last name (Walker) is the 25th most common name in the US but that's not really surprising.

Hey! I know somebody called Walker!

If I googled my name, all I get is some kind of academy award. For about 3 pages. And a martial arts stickman of somekind, too. Which really shows how random my name is.

raitalin
2009-12-23, 06:22 AM
______ is the #1021 most common male first name

0.005% of males in the US are named _______.

Around 6125 US males are named _______!

_____ is a very rare last name

Very few last names in the US are _____

Be proud of your unique last name!

6,710,000 results for my first name, although it is a not-uncommon last name as well.

5,740,000 results for my last name, although it is also a municipality of Finland and a word in other languages.

134 results for both together, almost all of which are things I've put on the internet.

My full name gets no results.

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-23, 06:23 AM
I googled my first and last name and got no results on the first page that were me, but that's because I apparently share a name with a famous Canuckistani drummer. :smallsigh:

EDIT: I had to go to page 4 to find one that was actually me, and that's out of only 63,000 hits.

neoseph7
2009-12-23, 06:29 AM
In spite of my first name being quite common (Charles = #10 for US males) I know very few other Charles'. I am also one of two Chucks, but that is because I have killed all the disbelievers who do not follow the Cult of The Round House and then dare to blaspheme against the Holiest of Names.

That and parents don't want their kids to have nicknames associated with cuts of meat. :smallbiggrin:

I'm not surprised that my last name was on the list, but it's down in the mid 300s.

Reinboom
2009-12-23, 06:32 AM
I meant on the internet.

For example, my name is common enough (John Hall) I feel I could say it without much fear people could find me based purely on my name (Even knowing the state I live in). This coming from a schizo.

Out of curiosity, how do you pronounce your name?

Ray-ee-na, where the 'ee' is spoken quickly.
However, I have given up trying to get people to speak it that way, so:
Ray-na

Emperor Ing
2009-12-23, 06:32 AM
I meant on the internet.

I take no chances, nobody outside of the people outside of the ones I know IRL know my name.

GrlumpTheElder
2009-12-23, 06:33 AM
I have always been the only person in my schools with my first name. COmbined with my surname it is unique (can't find anyone anywhere on the internet etc with it.) I'm special!

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-23, 06:33 AM
Haven't looked anything up, but for my 5 years in secondary school there were 4 of us Mike's in my class alone. Weirdly every branch of my family also has at least 1 Michael (me, my dad, both grandads, uncle on mum's side, cousin on dads side, many second cousins etc.)

Surname is less common, though the second people hear it they all make the same joke. ALWAYS. I'll give you a hint: "So, do you really own that island? <insert real-life trollface>

Setra
2009-12-23, 06:34 AM
Ray-ee-na, where the 'ee' is spoken quickly.
However, I have given up trying to get people to speak it that way, so:
Ray-na
That's about how I thought it was pronounced.

I was curious because if I have a daughter I want her name to be pronounced "Ray-na" but I don't know how to spell it (I was told "Rena" was pronounced "Rih-nah"). Maybe I should just go with Rayna.. but that looks funny to me.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-12-23, 06:35 AM
First and middle names: Relatively common.
Last name: Utterly unique to my family. Though that includes extended family.

If you put the first and last together, there are three including me.
If you put the first and middle together, there are two including me(well, in my family).
If you put all three together, there is only me.

Solaris
2009-12-23, 06:38 AM
I take no chances, nobody outside of the people outside of the ones I know IRL know my name.

I never understood that fear.

Dispozition
2009-12-23, 06:39 AM

Honestly, you never know. I don't like giving out my name on the net, but thanks to facebook it's fairly easy to find now. Before that, I think all of about 10 playgrounders were the only people who I didn't know in real life that knew my name >.>

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-23, 06:42 AM

People can use any info about you in one way or another.

Luckily I have a foolproof defence. I'm broke, have a pre-existing awful credit rating etc, and nothing worth taking. So I fear nothing :smalltongue:

Reinboom
2009-12-23, 06:42 AM
That's about how I thought it was pronounced.

I was curious because if I have a daughter I want her name to be pronounced "Ray-na" but I don't know how to spell it (I was told "Rena" was pronounced "Rih-nah"). Maybe I should just go with Rayna.. but that looks funny to me.

Having met a Rayna, I can tell you that not only was she very pretty, but that her name still looked funny.

So, I would just go with Reina. You will be one of the very few people to think of the "Ray-ee-na" pronunciation. :smalltongue:

Also, Rena can be pronounced "reh-na".

Solaris
2009-12-23, 06:43 AM
Honestly, you never know. I don't like giving out my name on the net, but thanks to facebook it's fairly easy to find now. Before that, I think all of about 10 playgrounders were the only people who I didn't know in real life that knew my name >.>

Yeah, but the really devoted e-stalkers can just hunt you through your IP address. I mean, I narrowed someone down to a portion of a state just because she mentioned three critters in her neighborhood (for lulz, not to stalk). Names are really... well, just superfluous.

Atelm
2009-12-23, 06:43 AM
26,800 google results for my name + last name, on the first page 9 results are about me. Only 2,800 results if I leave out the é in my last name, 7 results about me on the first page.

There are, at present, 277 people in Finland with the same lastname as I do.

52,032 people with the same first name as I do (using my first name which people don't use) including dead people since 1899 in Finland. 6,889 people with my second name (same jazz; since 1899, dead people too, only in Finland), which people do use.

The Rose Dragon
2009-12-23, 06:47 AM
My full name comes up with only me and my facebook friends as a result, because it is the only place I use my full name.

My legal name comes up with only me and my college results.

My first name and my last name separately (as in, not in quotation marks) comes up with several results that are not related to me, but only because my first name has a meaning of a common subject of photography and someone who shares my last name is a photographer.

Kobold-Bard
2009-12-23, 06:47 AM
Also, there's a Facebook group: "you're not cool unless you know a _____".

And there are over 200 members, so there's a few of us, if not loads.

FoE
2009-12-23, 06:51 AM
I do share my name with a Doctor Who special and a horrendous Zelda game, but that's about it.

Reinboom
2009-12-23, 06:59 AM
I do share my name with a Doctor Who special and a horrendous Zelda game, but that's about it.

Odd, I don't know of a Doctor Who special named Wand of Gamelon. :smallconfused:

Adlan
2009-12-23, 07:13 AM
My Last name is very common in my home county, and very rare elsewhere.

It comes as a Norman last name, of a noble who moved into the area in the conquest (1066). It has several distinct families. Those of the Noble, Those of his Servants, and Those it was given too as new lastname (in place of a patrynomic usually) (Preconquest Anglo-Britions). It has an origin in the latin root Duras. And anyone who cares to can find out my first and last names.

It's fairly uncommon outside of Norfolk though, people up north have no idea how to spell it (two r's in my case)

wxdruid
2009-12-23, 07:16 AM
My name (Jennifer) was the most popular female name for my birth year. In elementary school there were at least 2-3 in my classes. (and no, I'm not including links, 'cause then you'd know my birthyear...:smalltongue:)

If my mother had known it was the most popular name for that year, she'd have named me something different.

Zaggab
2009-12-23, 07:21 AM
My first name is the most common male name in Sweden. It is the only name that has been in the top-10 most popular name list since they started doing the lists... So yeah, it's pretty common. However, I haven't been in that many situations were a lot of people have had the same name as me.

My last name is about the 40th most common surname, so it's not that common. The only ones I have ever met in person with my surname has been related to me one way or another.

Searching for my first name + last name gives 233 results on an online directory assistance service.

Quincunx
2009-12-23, 07:25 AM
My present, American surname is small but distinct, thriving, and publicly cursed. (Not my fault! This time! Yet!) Still wending through the paperwork to change to my husband's surname, which is quite rare even within Sweden.

FoE
2009-12-23, 07:30 AM
Odd, I don't know of a Doctor Who special named Wand of Gamelon. :smallconfused:

It was the name of that ill-concieved Doctor Who/Harry Potter crossover from '07. Remember, when the Daleks invaded Hogwarts and Jack Harkness snogged Dumbledore?

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-23, 07:45 AM
My name is the 504th most common name given at birth in the States, with 537 getting named as such every year (average). Also, according to some graphs, my name only started being a common name in the mid 60's, with the most common age for people with said name (using standard US mortality data) being... 13 years old. Apparently I was named 3 years before it became fashionable. :smallcool:
The expected number of Male Kris's (whose first name does not end with -topher, -toffer, -toff or other such bastardizations of 'Christopher', or similar names which do not imply that I am a member of a certain religion) in the US is 0.0061% of the total population, or 14387 making it the 1568th most common name in the US.

Thank you, Wolfram Alpha, for that stunningly boring mass of numbers.

KuReshtin
2009-12-23, 07:48 AM
I've got very common names, both for my first- and surname.

Well, my surname is very common in Sweden, anyways. The 7th most common, according to Wikipedia (and we all trust Wikipedia, right?).

I share my first name with just over 50.000 Swedes (according to a cencus from 2005). It's the same first name as a Nigerian Nightmare (cookie for anyone who gets that reference), a Dark Knight and several historic Danish kings.

I also share my exact (both first name and surname) with a World, and Olympic Triple Jump Champion.

The Vorpal Tribble
2009-12-23, 08:16 AM
http://www.namestatistics.com/search.php?

Let's see, my name, Joshua, is 38th in the U.S.

Last name of Schrader is 2,599th.

...and I don't really care if anyone knows my name. I don't have enough money to be worth stealing, never done anything you'd be able to find out about that I'm ashamed of, and my family is so spread out you can't really threaten them.

You can't talk, type or even write like me. Seriously, my sisters says everything I do is so distinctive they could tell an impostor (we've had this discussion before).

Edit: Also, I don't know if I've ever typed my full name on the net. Can't find anything on Google that is me.

Fan
2009-12-23, 08:23 AM
Well, apparently my name, and it's unorthadox spelling is extremely unique.

Namely, that I switch the position of the "A", and the "E" in the #4 most common name in the US.

This is the exact opposite of how I expected it to happen.

Athaniar
2009-12-23, 08:54 AM
My first name is pretty common, but my last name is unique to my family (although there are similar names around).

...no, I'm not going to tell you either.

RobertoBlasini
2009-12-23, 08:58 AM
I have a feeling Setra your name is like John Michael Young or something like that. That's pretty damn common :P. My name is kind of common, even though I've only actually MET one other person with it, but my spelling is even less common than the name itself. My middle name is really common and my my last name is pretty common, but it has two spellings, and the one I have I see just as often as the other one.

SDF
2009-12-23, 08:59 AM
If the statistics are right, six in one million people share my name. Which would give you ~1800 with my name in the US. Still seems a bit high.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2009-12-23, 09:00 AM
First name: Common; every time I'm out in public I hear my name get called out, referring to somebody else (no, it's not Fred).

Middle name and surname: Relatively rare. People with my surname tend to live in concentrated areas, the nearest one to me being the town of Rye which is full of my distant relatives, and apparently Norfolk is full of people with my surname. If I search it on Google it nearly always comes up as a verb form: "object surname subject", often with humourous results.

Lioness
2009-12-23, 09:02 AM
My last name is rather popular. Probably no.1 everywhere.

My first name is rather old-fashioned (I was named after a great-grandmother) but is becoming more popular.

Ikialev
2009-12-23, 09:10 AM
My first name is really rare, and i like that. :3

HERMAN is the #183 most common male first name
It's actually my middle name, but namestatistics.com doesn't have this option. No way, nobody has this name. :F
And there are 132 people with my last name in Poland, and "Very Few" in america.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-23, 09:13 AM
Very common. In my high school class I was one of 6 Emilys. And I knew like 5 others.

Lord of Syntax
2009-12-23, 09:15 AM
Jonathan is #50
Williams is #3

Pyrian
2009-12-23, 09:17 AM
If my mother had known it was the most popular name for that year, she'd have named me something different.Yeah, but if that information had been easily available, so would the other mothers, and you'd've still ended up with the most popular name. :smallwink:

There's another person with my name who works in the same company I do. Poor guy gets a lot of e-mail meant for me... Occasionally he even passes it on.

Catch
2009-12-23, 09:31 AM
My unwitting parents (bless their heatfelt intentions) wanted for me a strong German, biblical name, and bestowed to me a pair of names shared by one iconic character and one popular actor. To compound this social problem, neither of those people have last names spelled like mine, so the assumption is that they are the same. Imagine my difficulty as a writer (before anyone suggests it, a nom de plume would be too pretentious, even for me.)

Also, most people around my age are impressed by their pop-cultural recognition and excitedly point out the similarity, as if they're the first to discover it.

"Your name is ____!? Like ____?"

Interestingly enough, I can tell a lot about a person by who they remember first.

Jack Squat
2009-12-23, 09:35 AM
My first name is pretty common, last name is much more rare.

Two hits for me show up on a Google search, and I'm gonna go ahead and fix one of those now...the other one's not useful at all.

Eldan
2009-12-23, 09:42 AM
Well... Andreas (Andrew) isn't that rare really.
Thinking about it... I know one other biology student here at university named Andreas. He's living in the same flat as another Andreas. There's a friend of my parent's who have a son a little older than me also named Andreas. I have two professors by that name. And,finally, my uncle is called André. I guess that counts as well.
My last name is probably non-existent outside switzerland, since it's derived from a local expression, and not even that common around here. Still, I've seen it on factories and such a few times, so there have to be others.

Edit:
ANDREAS is the #1110 most common male first name
0.004% of males in the US are named ANDREAS.
Around 4900 US males are named ANDREAS!

Heh. Well, non-english spelling and all that.

Ashen Lilies
2009-12-23, 10:01 AM
My dad is _______, and has two friends called ________.
It gets kind of surreal, having a barbecue at your house where all the men are named '________'.

KuReshtin
2009-12-23, 10:05 AM
Edit:
ANDREAS is the #1110 most common male first name
0.004% of males in the US are named ANDREAS.
Around 4900 US males are named ANDREAS!

Heh. Well, non-english spelling and all that.

You share that name with 43 610 Swedes (31 Dec 2008) as their first name, althougha total of just under 70 000 have it either as first name or middle name.

Mine:

CHRISTIAN is the #236 most common male first name
0.065% of males in the US are named CHRISTIAN.
Around 79625 US males are named CHRISTIAN!

Trog
2009-12-23, 10:09 AM
According to Namestatistics.com:

____ is the #30 most common male first name
0.591% of males in the US are named ____.
Around 723975 US males are named ____!

____ is the #1300ish most common last name
0.009% of last names in the US are ____.
Around 22000ish people have ____ as a last name!

So roughly 133 guys with my both my first and last name multiplying those two results together.

According to howmanyofme.com, however:

There are 912,316 people in the U.S. with the first name ____.
Statistically the 46th most popular first name.
99.83 percent of people with the first name ____ are male.

There are 27,219 people in the U.S. with the last name ____.
Statistically the 1300ish most popular last name.

And it says that there are only 81 in the U.S. with my same first and last name.

I was on the 7th page of Google for my first and last name (2.9 million results). Putting in my full first middle and last name into Google didn't get yield any results that were me that I could find. For the moment I'll assume it's a unique combination.

Though if I searched for images on Google under the shortened version of my first name that I normally use, plus my last name, out of 14.9 million results my mug was on page one.

KuReshtin
2009-12-23, 10:21 AM
Though if I searched for images on Google under the shortened version of my first name that I normally use, plus my last name, out of 14.9 million results my mug was on page one.

If I searched for images on Google using my name, the first five pages are of this guy:
http://www.topnews.in/sports/files/Christian-Olsson1.jpg

He's got the same name as me, but is soooo not me.

KingRexII
2009-12-23, 10:22 AM
My names, both first and last, are apparently quite rare. The only other person I know with that name is my father. And according to him, my grandfather made up that name. Don't know if it's true, though, as apparently, there's a band with that name, which is probably named after the soccer move.

toasty
2009-12-23, 10:24 AM
My given name is fairly uncommon, I'd think. I mean, its not super rare, as I know people with my name, but over because of stuff like the interwebz.

My last name, very common. But I guess that's life in the big city.

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 10:32 AM
My name is a rarity, I have never in all my time seen someone or known someone with the name, and I am not telling you it. Though I bet since it is Greek there is someone in Greece with the name.

X2
2009-12-23, 10:43 AM
My name must be pretty rare, because every time I bring it up, everyone makes a Superman reference.

Do I look like a bald guy or Gene Hackman to you smartass?

DarkLightDragon
2009-12-23, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't say my first name is uncommon, but it's not one of those ones where you get 4+ in each year group at each school with the same name.

My last name, however, is uncommon as far as I know.

Tirian
2009-12-23, 11:43 AM
Namestatistics suggests that my name (Matthew) is the 25th most popular man's name in the United States. I'm not quite certain that I trust their methodology, since it's been in the top 5 boys names for the past thirty years according to the Social Security Administration.

It turns out to rarely be an issue, because I'm the only one I know who actually prefers being called "Matthew" rather than "Matt". On the other hand, there are times when I'm at the mall or an amusement park and some exasperated mother will say "Matthew, get OVER here!" and I'm all "Hey, I'm behaving!"

Brother Oni
2009-12-23, 12:14 PM
169 million hits on Google for my first name
148 million hits for my last name

0 hits for my birth certificate name
75.5 thousand for my common use name (mostly due to an anime character).

3,320 for my name written in original (non-romanised) form.

Flarowon
2009-12-23, 12:28 PM
I am the only person in my entire school with my first name. For two years running. I've also never met (personally, I have heard of people who have my name) anyone else with my name. So I'm guessing it's pretty rare. There are forty two thousand seven hundred hits on google for my exact name.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2009-12-23, 12:46 PM
First name: #520 in the US (surprised! I suppose it is biblical...)
8,860,000 hits on google.

Last name: Very Few people in the US (again, surprised! Than again, alternative spelling...)

305,000 hits on google, not a small amount are my mum's.

Full Name: 4,690 hits, of which 12 on the first page refer to me.

Edit: Also, we have records of relatives going back to the 13th Century, a couple of relatives who served in the Hundred Years War, and we can trace the line back unbroken almost 200 years.

Mythestopheles
2009-12-23, 12:59 PM
Acording to NameStatistics.com

My first name is #440 with roughly 28175 people in the US with that name.

Seems my last name is much less common, #8968, with roughly 2500 people in the US with my last name.

As for hits on google:
First Name: 11,900,000 (Suprised, biblical though, same as the above poster)

Last Name: 4,800,000 (Less, though most are probably about a certain famous guy with my last name)

First and Last: 74 (Forgot to put it in quotes)

Dragonrider
2009-12-23, 01:01 PM
So far as I am aware, I am the only person on the planet with my particular combination of first and last name. Not even taking into account the middle.

My first name isn't in the Name Statistics database.

My last name is the #6757 most common last name; 0.002% of last names in the US.

Middle name is Anna (I'll tell you this because it's a very, very popular middle name); it's the 33rd most common female name in the USA.

But when I google first+last I get four pages (65 hits), all of which are the Real Me (mostly sports articles from the local newspaper); first+middle+last I got nuthin'.

First name got 232,000 hits.

Last name, 4,450,000, because according to Wikipedia it's a really common Norwegian and German (not surprising, given that my grandpa's German) surname.

Fortuna
2009-12-23, 01:11 PM
First and last are really rare. My first name turns up loads of hits on Google, but that is because it has another meaning (I've never met another one). My last name turns up 3300 hits on Google, so that tells you something. My second name is quite common, but my third and fourth names are very uncommon as names.

EDIT: Looking at the Google results, you have to get to page four before you find someone who isn't closely related to me.

xPANCAKEx
2009-12-23, 01:27 PM
first name is pretty damn popular (especially in the UK - its not been out of the top 3 names for baby boys for over a decade now)

surname? theres only 16 of us in the world that we know of

Lord Blace
2009-12-23, 01:36 PM
My name is pretty rare. Haven't met anyone with my exact first or middle name. Variations on the spelling? Sure. But those don't count, do they?

Stupid being an enthusiastic barrel making son of Peter. (With two t's, 'cause it's the Swedish version.)

Shadowbane
2009-12-23, 01:37 PM
I'm unsure how common Graham is for a first name.

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 01:39 PM
Holy google, my name has 13,700,000 hits on google, probably cause the guy I'm named after is so frickin famous.

Zevox
2009-12-23, 01:40 PM
My first name, Jason, is pretty common - according to namestatistics.com, it's #24 among males, with around 808,500 others in the US alone. Oddly though, I didn't meet anyone else with it until High School. I just have weird luck in that regard I suppose.

My last name, though, is rare - apparently not in namestatistics.com's database, as I got the "very few have this name" message.

Zevox

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 01:42 PM
I had this message (Edited to protect my identity) on Name statistics.

*Classified* is a very rare male first name
Very few male first names in the US are *Classified*
Be proud of your unique first name!

CurlyKitGirl
2009-12-23, 01:42 PM
Because of a certain idiotic way of calling for a cat, Googling my first name would be moronic; also it's a very common nickname for Katherine/Catherine/Kathleen/Cathleen/Kate/Caitlyn/Caitlin/Cate/Katie/Katy (annoying, I have relative with the first five of those names). Not Googled. Oddly when I was in Primary there were two other girls with my first name. Secondary School and College revealed no others with my first name as their given name.
Middle name gets 38 900 000 results.
Last name gets 2 980 000 results. One of them on the very first page is an antiquarian bookshop! How delightful. And it's such an intriguing site.

First name + Last name gets 435 000 hits, and I'm on the first page.

First name + Middle name + Last name garners 435 000 Google hits, none of which are me. None of them get the full three names, or spell my last name wrong.
"All three names" gets no results.

Sila Prirode
2009-12-23, 02:54 PM
My name is not really common, but since I'm named after a famous duke it can be heard a lot.
Fun fact: My name is Branimir, which translated means Defending (Brani) Peace (mir), or, if you like it this way, Peace Keeper (Defender).
Yep, I'm that cool :smallcool:

Pika...
2009-12-23, 02:57 PM
I feel sorry for Johns. Boy do I feel sorry for Johns.

Well, I myself changed my name at age 20ish (can't remember actually). I was named Jesus Perez. I remember having three other Jesus in my class once. Plus the weekly issues it would cause...

So I changed it, and named myself after the hero of my first big boy book. When I did I asked the lady who was finalizing everything when she was going through my area's name registry on her PC "Hmm. How many people have my old name?". She said she could not tell me, but with enthuses in her voice and face said "Lots". I then asked about my new one. Not a single one she said. :smallbiggrin:

I recently checked Facebook for my old and new names. The old has SO many. There are only three others with mine. A bit disappointed, but eh.

But it gets worse...

MY family is all Hispanics from South America. I was the first born here. I told them multiple times what my new name would be during the process (in it's English version...more on that later). They were like whatever.

Note that no one in my entire generation, and much of the previous one has a unique name. They kept naming kids after family members, or someone in the family already had the name the parents wanted. I hated it. I even have an uncle named Jesus somewhere. :smallannoyed:

Anyway, when I finally came back from the court office and license place so thrilled I showed my grandma my new ID. She smiled and told the whole family to look.

Note that my grandfather died when my mother was pregnant with my little brother of two years, so she named him after our grandfather. My grandfather had a twin brother who died a few years earlier.

It turns out from freak chance that the character from the BRITISH book I read as a kid had the exact same name as my grandfather's twin brother...

Yes, me and my brother now have that cute twin thing going with hour grandfather and his twin. (Our grandfather's twin was a very sickly man, so it kinda brought up emotions).

I was like UAGHHHHH!!!!!!

I swear they plotted against me. >.> .... <.< ... >.>

ps. Oh, and now it's kinda interesting, because I got the title/nickname of sorts as "The Atheist formally known as Jesus". I have never even heard one of that artist's songs...

Trog
2009-12-23, 02:58 PM
"All three names" gets no results.

Ah, I forgot to do it in quotes. I knew I was doing something wrong. :smallsigh:

My full name in quotes also yields no results.

:smallbiggrin: I'm a beautiful and unique snowflake!

Just like.... uh... everyone else? :smallconfused:

Koury
2009-12-23, 03:00 PM
My name? Common enough. The spelling? Not so much. The spelling of my name is unique enough that I have never not been able to use my name as a username for anything. Hell, even on Xbox Live my tag is just Koury. *shrug*

Koury was my moms maiden name. So I ended up with both parents last names. What're ya gonna do?

The Extinguisher
2009-12-23, 03:08 PM
Andrew is a pretty common first name.

Although my last name is pretty rare. It has the second weirdest spelling of "chuck" I've ever seen.

someonenonotyou
2009-12-23, 03:20 PM
my name is #119 in the us so not that common

Perenelle
2009-12-23, 04:02 PM
I've never liked my name. Due to the fact that there's so many people I know with it, and I just dont like it. my name is Courtney. :smallyuk: Next year I'm considering telling my teachers that I go by another name just so I wont be confused with the other Courtney's. :smallsigh:

Thufir
2009-12-23, 04:07 PM
In London, I was the only person I knew with my name. Then we moved up here to the Newcastle area, and there are rather a lot of them.
Same goes for my surname actually, though to a lesser extent. Possibly makes sense since apparently my family is descended from scots somewhere up the family tree.

Phae Nymna
2009-12-23, 04:24 PM
Just to be mysterious:

My "possible" first names...

JULES 0.006 (% of US Births)
LAUREN[T] 0.004 (% of US Births)

Mine could be Laurent. With a "t". Because it's the french variation.

My "possible" last names...

DELAFONTAINE <0.001 (% of US Births)
VETTER 0.003 (% of US Births)

Ilena
2009-12-23, 05:18 PM
Destra is my first name ...... i have never heard of anyone with that name though apparently theres 1 person, first and last name together? 10 hits of absolutely nothing :P last name i think is relitively common though ... well for german families

Setra
2009-12-23, 05:30 PM
Ah, I forgot to do it in quotes. I knew I was doing something wrong. :smallsigh:

My full name in quotes also yields no results.

:smallbiggrin: I'm a beautiful and unique snowflake!

Just like.... uh... everyone else? :smallconfused:
Ha! I have a common name so I'm totally unique!

... Wait :smallconfused:

Darius Midnite
2009-12-23, 05:30 PM
Well, my real name is Alexander. It is somewhat semi-rare where I'm from. So, blah, there you go. :smalltongue:

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 05:34 PM
*Classified* is the #4455 most common last name
0.003% of last names in the US are *Classified*.
Around 7500 people have *Classified* as a last name!
My first and middle name, on the other hand, are unknown.

Phae Nymna
2009-12-23, 05:46 PM
*Classified* is the #4455 most common last name
0.003% of last names in the US are *Classified*.
Around 7500 people have *Classified* as a last name!
My first and middle name, on the other hand, are unknown.
Really? I'd think Collado would be much more uncommon. Is that Spanish?

evil-frosty
2009-12-23, 05:48 PM
When i googled just my first name i got 189 million results. While my last name got 18 million and together they get 2 million. Guess its a pretty common name.

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 05:50 PM
Really? I'd think Collado would be much more uncommon. Is that Spanish?

What, how do you know that? I censored out all its mentions...

Temotei
2009-12-23, 05:50 PM
TIMOTHY is the #27 most common male first name
0.64% of males in the US are named TIMOTHY.
Around 784000 US males are named TIMOTHY!

TIM is the #170 most common male first name
0.104% of males in the US are named TIM.
Around 127400 US males are named TIM!

TIMMY is the #479 most common male first name
0.019% of males in the US are named TIMMY.
Around 23275 US males are named TIMMY!

PRATT is the #437 most common last name
0.026% of last names in the US are PRATT.
Around 65000 people have PRATT as a last name!

I figure that you'd be able to just look up the rank if you really wanted to know my name, so I'm not going to censor it. I do like how the three versions of my name are all entries, with very different ranks.

Setra
2009-12-23, 05:51 PM
You gave a number to look it up by.. If you really didn't want anyone to know you should have said "Huh? That's not my name" in response.

Or just gave a rough statistic "4500ish"

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 05:52 PM
You gave a number to look it up by.. If you really didn't want anyone to know you should have said "Huh? That's not my name"

DANG IT I DID NOT THINK ABOUT THAT! :smalleek:
At least he does not know my first or middle name....

Temotei
2009-12-23, 05:53 PM
DANG IT I DID NOT THINK ABOUT THAT! :smalleek:
At least he does not know my first or middle name....

Or does he?...:smallconfused: :smallwink:

Phae Nymna
2009-12-23, 05:54 PM
Alas, dahling, we both use the U.S. Census Bureau statistics database.
Oh well. I suppose, to be fair, my last name is Vetter.
I only wish my name were Delafontaine.

Kallisti
2009-12-23, 05:57 PM
My first name is uncommon but not unique, and my last name is relatively common.

Satisfyingly enough, though, the top search result for my first and last name was the Playground Writer's Workshop, because I must have forgotten to edit the author line for a story I posted there to read "Kallisti" instead of my name. So at least for both together the top result is one of my stories.

madtinker
2009-12-23, 06:09 PM
On a google search of my first and last, only three people that were not myself showed up on the first three pages, and they all died over a hundred years ago. Overall, there were 289,000 hits, but that could be because my last name is a dictionary and my first name is Biblical.

Edit: If in quotes, 185 hits, with me, the dictionary, and dead people.

GoC
2009-12-23, 06:13 PM
First name: very common
Last name: very rare (you likely don't know anyone with it)

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-23, 06:21 PM
First and middle names: Relatively common.
Last name: Utterly unique to my family. Though that includes extended family.
[...]
If you put all three together, there is only me.

It's the same for me. Every single male on my dad's side (that I've met or that I've heard about, at least), and thus every male with my last name, has the same first name, since we've never had more than one boy in any given family. Granted, it got Anglicized when some of us came over from Ireland, so there are plenty of folks with the old last name or with different new spellings who don't match the pattern...but we don't talk about them. :smallwink:

We go by various permutations on my first name in public and use our middle names at family gatherings. Also, my particular branch of the family has an (unintentional) pattern with our middle names going--my grandfather had a middle name of William, his cousin is Zachary, my dad is Albert, and I'm Bryan, so we joke that (A) we have long-lost cousins Xavier and Yates out there somewhere and (B) I need to name my son with a C name to keep the tradition alive.

Incidentally, if you put just my first and last name in quotes I get about 1000 Google hits, and if you my full name in quotes, I get precisely 0 Google hits. Yay for internet anonymity! :smallbiggrin:

madtinker
2009-12-23, 06:32 PM
Incidentally, if you put just my first and last name in quotes I get about 1000 Google hits, and if you my full name in quotes, I get precisely 0 Google hits. Yay for internet anonymity! :smallbiggrin:

If you're not on the internet, are you sure you exist? :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2009-12-23, 06:38 PM
I like to think of myself having anonymity through attrition.

Eldan
2009-12-23, 06:58 PM
Ooh. Zero hits as well when I include my middle name. Didn't think of that.

Recaiden
2009-12-23, 07:07 PM
I've never met or heard of anyone with my first name, but it's sometimes a last name.

0 hits that are me when I include 2 or more names. There are a few where my 1st name appears in a list of last names.

arguskos
2009-12-23, 07:23 PM
My name is somewhat common, but interestingly enough, I share my first and last name with Nat King Cole's middle and last name.

Also amusing: I don't show up in Google. :smallamused:

Perenelle
2009-12-23, 07:39 PM
I just realized that I do show up on google, because of placing in a badminton tournament last year. :smalltongue:

DabblerWizard
2009-12-23, 07:57 PM
I've never met another American with my name, whether spelled in the Anglo-saxon tradition, or as I spell it, with a certain European flair.

I didn't choose to have a unique name! :smallredface:

Blue Ghost
2009-12-23, 08:43 PM
My name isn't very common where I live, but it's ubiquitous in literature. That can get annoying.

CrimsonAngel
2009-12-23, 08:45 PM
Huh.. I'm actually past 20 on that list, though before 30, I'm surprised nonetheless.

I'm number 2 here though (http://names.mongabay.com/male_names.htm). My brother is number one though.

John, Paul, and George are pretty common.. but where's Ringo?

Ha hah, 11! I'm sure my last name is very, very unique.

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-23, 08:45 PM
I have checked my city phonebook to confirm it, and no other person in my city shares my name; I've never heard of another person that has my name, either.

onthetown
2009-12-23, 08:48 PM
I just go by Kris for my first name, which is a bit uncommon for a girl. I've met tons of guys called Chris, but only one guy who spells it like I do.

My last name is incredibly uncommon in North America, but very common over in France (where my family is from). The only people I've ever met or heard of with my last name are related to me, even when I haven't personally met them. Including doing Google searches... the first few people are related to me but I've never met them. :smallamused:

Setra
2009-12-23, 09:01 PM
I have checked my city phonebook to confirm it, and no other person in my city shares my name; I've never heard of another person that has my name, either.
Phonebooks don't have everyone, I would think.

PairO'Dice Lost
2009-12-23, 09:06 PM
If you're not on the internet, are you sure you exist? :smallbiggrin:

Indeed I am; the lack of an internet presence is intentional. Let's just say that spending all your time since the beginning of high school with people who might be described as, ahem, computer security avoidance professionals (and having talents in that area oneself) tends to make one a bit concerned about what information goes where....

I like to think of myself having anonymity through attrition.
Ooh. Zero hits as well when I include my middle name. Didn't think of that.
0 hits that are me when I include 2 or more names. There are a few where my 1st name appears in a list of last names.
Also amusing: I don't show up in Google. :smallamused:

We should start a club! Don't know how we'd find each other for meetings, though....

Froogleyboy
2009-12-23, 09:23 PM
First name is pretty common, but my surname is usually a first name (logan)

arguskos
2009-12-23, 09:27 PM
We should start a club! Don't know how we'd find each other for meetings, though....
Through OotS of course! :smallcool:

Also, other folks with my name show up in Google. But not me. I think it's cause I keep my internet presence to a very VERY small amount. I have two names I use online... and that's the only way to find me. Though, it's a good bet that arguskos is me. :smallamused:

Kurien
2009-12-23, 09:29 PM
A search of my full name on Google results in 610 000 hits.

A search on Name Statistics says my first name is the 23 most common name in the US (over 800 000 males have this name). My last name is quite rare, though, with 0.0005% popel in the US sharing this surname. Around 1250 people have it a last name, but I would expect a lot more would have this name in China, being a Chinese surname and all.

cycoris
2009-12-23, 10:59 PM
My first name wasn't in the Name Statistics database. However, its Arabic counterpart was, as it's the title of a well known song. My first name is also often confused with the name of a flower. :smallsigh:

I have two middle names, the first of which is 'Rose', the second isn't in the database either.

Apparently, 0.001% of people in the U.S. share my last name.

My first and last name combination is entirely unique, and you get 26 hits on Google.

Just for interest, my names are:

Farsi, Latin, Farsi, Middle English corrupted by Gaelic :smalltongue:

wxdruid
2009-12-23, 11:54 PM
I don't think the other name would have been very popular, I can't remember what it was now, but it was something horrid. I'd rather be a Jennifer that that...

According to namestatistics, for girl names, my first name is #6 with my Mother and one of my sisters ahead of me. Another is #82 on the list and Annalisa (another sister) is #2966 with 0.002% of females in the US have the same name. That number would probably change if it searched German names.

Deth Muncher
2009-12-24, 12:20 AM
Mine isn't so overly common now, but then again, it was the first name (assuming you're of the Judaeo-Christian belief that Adam was the first man).

Then again, Adam translates from the Hebrew "Adomo," meaning Earth. So...given that we're currently residing on my namesake, that might make it fairly common.

Coidzor
2009-12-24, 12:43 AM
As common as Mud.

So common that very few people believe that it's my name and not short for something else.

Farsi, Latin, Farsi, Middle English corrupted by Gaelic :smalltongue:

Weird, usually it's the Gaelic being corrupted by the English...

And you have something in common with the Rubiyat at least. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2009-12-24, 12:45 AM
My first name? Pretty common.
My last name? There's a facebook group about having it, maybe 60 members.
My first and last name together? I'd have thought unique except one time I got mail for somebody in the north-west with my exact name (including middle initial) whose lawyer's name was the same as my dad's. Freaky thing that.

Falconer
2009-12-24, 12:51 AM
My first name is very common. Seriously, in school there's been, in a single class, two or three other people with the same name as me.

Last name, though? It's a very uncommon corruption of a very common last name. And it sounds really cool, too. Which makes it something of a consolation.

Am I being ambiguous enough?:smalltongue:

starwoof
2009-12-24, 12:56 AM
My first name is Tyler. Its very common. In fact, my roommate is named Tyler.

My last name is a lot less common, Enz. I've never ran into it in person outside of family and I've only heard of people on the internet who share it with me.

Swok
2009-12-24, 01:00 AM
First name is #23.

Last name...Is...Wow. It doesn't even appear on this (http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm)
And name statistics says roughly 1250 people have that last name in the US.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-24, 03:56 AM
I'm quite happy being probably the only person in the world with my name :biggrin: Although spelling my name over the phone gets annoying after a while, let me tell you.

Well, actually, my first name is quite common in Russia, but... The Russian short form (which I share with a certain vampire) makes people think my name is actually Vladimir (which, ironically, has a completely different short form - Vova but for some reason no-one knows that).

As for my last name... If it stayed in its original form, it would be a fairly common Arabic or Farsi name that's probably quite well known to anyone who likes basketball. However, stupid Russian bureaucrats had to twist it beyond recognition. First by adding the mandatory -ov (and keeping it that way for about 4 generations) and then by spelling it in a messed up way in English. How, may you ask? Well, they literally transcribed every letter, forgetting that in English you can use a single letter for the sound that's supposed to be there.

This makes it quite unique (at least in English), even if quite annoying. How unique? Well, looking up my last name in Google yields about a half-dozen pages about my dad's work and then my Facebook page. And that's pretty much it.

Boo
2009-12-24, 06:47 AM
My unwitting parents (bless their heatfelt intentions) wanted for me a strong German, biblical name, and bestowed to me a pair of names shared by one iconic character and one popular actor. To compound this social problem, neither of those people have last names spelled like mine, so the assumption is that they are the same. Imagine my difficulty as a writer (before anyone suggests it, a nom de plume would be too pretentious, even for me.)

Also, most people around my age are impressed by their pop-cultural recognition and excitedly point out the similarity, as if they're the first to discover it.

"Your name is ____!? Like ____?"

Interestingly enough, I can tell a lot about a person by who they remember first.

Felix and Elijah?

Zeb The Troll
2009-12-24, 06:56 AM
Felix and Elijah?According to the links that were previously there, the Popular Actor and the Iconic Figure had the same first and last name.

Boo
2009-12-24, 08:41 AM
Hmm... at the mention of "character" all I can think of is cartoon characters. Damn you Noddy, Postman Pat, Paddington Bear and... really, there's a lot of children's shows that I keep thinking of whenever I start thinking.

While I'm here...

My birth name is common all around.

The name that I go by online, offline, and in line is common separately, but very uncommon together. Antony Molly. >> I got first dibs in Google.

ghost_warlock
2009-12-24, 09:18 AM
As I've said before, my name is James Smith so I'm common as dirt (at least in America).

Statistical References: 1 (http://www.namestatistics.com/) 2 (http://names.mongabay.com/male_names.htm) 3 (http://names.mongabay.com/most_common_surnames.htm)

Eldan
2009-12-24, 09:45 AM
Characters with my name? Apart from the Jesus' disciple, I can't think of any other famous Andreas, actually.

Hyoumu Yau
2009-12-25, 11:11 AM
My first name is pretty common in many countries, although the versions are a little bit different. Last name? Well, it is not rare, at least not in russia.

Yrcrazypa
2009-12-25, 11:49 AM
If I google my full name, I get one result that's actually relevant, and it isn't me. Hooray, I'm unsearchable!

Matthew David Gagnon, for the curious.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-12-25, 02:35 PM
NICOLE is the #68 most common female first name
0.281% of females in the US are named NICOLE.
Around 344225 US females are named NICOLE!

RUSHING is the #1488 most common last name
0.008% of last names in the US are RUSHING.
Around 20000 people have RUSHING as a last name!

When I google, interestingly, I'm not the first one who comes up, which is new. When I googled myself a few months ago, I was...now I'm like the fifth, and it brings up my Twitter.

Haruki-kun
2009-12-25, 02:39 PM
In Mexico, my name is Ridiculously common. Both first, and last. I can say no more than that, since I don't really want to say what my name is.

....My name is Haruki. *nod*

RabbitHoleLost
2009-12-25, 02:54 PM
Haruki is TOTALLY a common Mexican name.
HOW COULD ANY OF US BELIEVE OTHERWISE?

:smalltongue:

Morty
2009-12-25, 02:59 PM
Apparently, my name is the 11th most common in Poland. Ironically enough, I haven't met many people with this name. When I type my full name into Google, I can be found on the first page. Scary.

Tequila Sunrise
2009-12-25, 04:59 PM
First name is uncommon. I share it with a certain 6 movie scifi/fantasy hero. Last name is uncommon in America, though one of our presidents shares it. Last name is probably a lot more common in Ireland.

I've only known one other person with my first name ever, though a guy with my first and last name did cause some banking confusion when an electronic search picked up his name in a neighboring state.

Leush
2009-12-25, 05:21 PM
My first name is pretty common in many countries, although the versions are a little bit different. Last name? Well, it is not rare, at least not in russia.

Oooo, I'd take a guess, but I'd have like a 9/10 chance of being wrong.:smallbiggrin:

As for Leush, Leush's last name is pretty rare. Leush's first name is fairly common, depending on where in the world you are and apparently some people use certain versions of Leush's first name for the wrong gender which maes Leush highly unhappy.

Mystic Muse
2009-12-25, 05:27 PM
my name is somewhere between 400th and 500th most common in the US. Not telling you guys where though.:smallwink:

BudgetDM
2009-12-29, 02:59 PM
Let's see...
First name: 0.009% of males in the US are named _________
Last Name: 0.0005% of last names in the US are _________

I suspect this would be rather higher in German, my name is the German variation of a common name.

Mauve Shirt
2009-12-29, 05:46 PM
Semi-related, we were discussing genealogy today. If my mother had had one of her many ways, I could have been named Weltha Experience, after 2 different ancestors. Which would have been horrifying. Unique, but horrifying.

Castaras
2009-12-30, 05:20 AM
My last name is nonexistant in the USA charts. My first name is the 5th most common (Elizabeth), while the name I most commonly use (Lizzie) is the 631st most common.

Put in Lizzie [last name], and I get an account I never knew I had on flixster (O.o), Some random guy named Matt with my last name (o.O), and a memorial to a guy who died at our school, then my mum and dad's homepage.

Yay.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-30, 08:11 AM
Ivan Ivanov? :amused:

Hyoumu Yau
2009-12-30, 08:16 AM
Ivan Ivanov? :amused:

Nope. Well I don't know how to transcribe it right... It was transcribed as Mikhail Bereznev, but thats not quite right :smallsigh: Don't know how to do it better with the last name, but the first shouldn't have a "k".

Where did you even see an Ivan who is not russian?:smallconfused:

Edit: Well I tried a transcription program and it said Mihail Bereznjov... That would be more accurate :smallwink:

First Name : 26 800 000 Google Entries
Last Name : 21 000 Google Entries (well thats not very accurate, because there are different ways to write it. If you count the other one as well it will be 40 300(+19 300))
Both : 3 610 Google Entries
(Looked it up in russian)

Serpentine
2009-12-30, 08:49 AM
Variants (male and female) of my first are common, but not my actual name. Met a couple of people who shared it. According to cemetaries, it seems to be a fairly old-fashioned one. 21,700,000 Google pages.
My last is so-so. Shared by one famous person, with whom I am apparently distantly related (grandfather's father's cousin's son or somesuch). 13,800,000 Google results, not as many as I expected but I doubt many of them are actually name-related and most of them will be the aforementioned famous person. Also is English slang for fart.
Both, 240 pages, at least a few of which are me. Apparently one's a babysitter with two kids, and I know I found an American netball player once.
Full name, all 4, comes up with 3: Two from my high school, and one from these forums. A Random Banter, in fact. Iames', if you're interested.

So, all in all, fairly rare.

Dihan
2009-12-30, 11:26 AM
My first and middle names are quite rare outside Wales. My surname is common though.

Player_Zero
2009-12-30, 11:50 AM
My first and middle names are quite rare outside Wales. My surname is common though.

Nuh uh. And our name sucks.

Phaedra
2009-12-30, 12:22 PM
My first name is fairly common, especially amongst young girls (it seems to have had a resurgence about 5 years ago). My surname is moderately rare. Put together though, Google only shows me, which is quite cool.

Don Julio Anejo
2009-12-30, 02:39 PM
Where did you even see an Ivan who is not russian?:smallconfused:

Ivan is the same name as John, Jean, Johann, Giovanni, etc. It's a biblical name.

Edit: Well I tried a transcription program and it said Mihail Bereznjov... That would be more accurate :smallwink:
Just to clarify, you mean Михаил Березнёв, right?

Crimmy
2009-12-30, 02:48 PM
In my family, everybody says my name is quite common.
I have yet to know another person with my same name. I only know one other person, and I've lived in 2 states all my life.

I've changed school a lot of times.

And I still can't find another friggin' Joaquin!

As for my last name, well, it's practically non-existant outside of Mexico (and even here, it's reaaaaaaaaaaally hard to find one).

zvbxrpl
2009-12-30, 10:27 PM
I work in a student-run coffee shop with three people who share my first name. I know of at least four more at my school.

Misery Esquire
2009-12-30, 10:30 PM
My given name is common as an oak, not many near me, but many to be heard of, while my surname is surely as plentiful as any tree, but the spelling varies from leaf to leaf.