PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Raystravaganza!

worthlesston
2009-12-23, 01:03 PM
Dear Forum Masters,
I am looking to make a character that is all about having energy explode out of different places. I'm thinking: occular spell, a breath weapon, eldritch blasts, everything. Any thoughts on how to make this work at all? Or is the idea too cumbersome?

All books in 3.5e (and those from 3.0 that weren't redone) are fair game.

Thanks much,
Worthlesston

jiriku
2009-12-23, 01:04 PM
I hear that dragonfire adept is a class that makes a living out of a breath weapon. Might be worth your time.

Signmaker
2009-12-23, 01:13 PM
Deceptive Spell, Cityscape, useful in urban environments as you can have the origin of spell effects be anywhere in your LoS, rather than from you. So you're not limited to just spell effects from you. =P

You can also grab Kensai with your unarmed attacks and nab Spell Storing, so that you're punching/kicking spells too..

Circlet of Blasting is probably a staple too.

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-23, 01:13 PM
well if that is the case then i would play a

Kobold sorcer 5(draconic heritage ACF)/warlock x/eldritch thurge x/spellwarp sniper x

take ocular spell
draconic breath.
O and the heritage ray from dragon magic or races of dragon...

shoot lasers out of your eyes
use a warlocks eldritch blast
breath weapon by sacing a spell.
a status effect ray by sacing a spell.
You can turn any aoe into a ray.
you will have normal rays.

Signmaker
2009-12-23, 01:25 PM
You could always just Mindswitch with a beholder, take some levels in Beholder Mage, and go to town like that, you know. They ARE king of the rayspam.

worthlesston
2009-12-23, 04:17 PM
Interesting, I was thinking of mixing warlock and DFA, but I was trying to see if I could add more rays to the character.

Spellwarp sniper sounds good, but how do I get around the sudden strike / sneak attack requirement?

The kensai was interesting, but sadly not what I am looking for.

Deceptive spell, I don't have Cityscape, care to tell me if it increases the spell slot as well?

Finally, mindswitching with a beholder probably won't be allowed. I doubt my DM would let it happen, but I will certainly check in with him about it. (That said, I'm pretty sure we're doing a monster campaign later, so I might just save that for then).

RagnaroksChosen
2009-12-23, 04:31 PM
Interesting, I was thinking of mixing warlock and DFA, but I was trying to see if I could add more rays to the character.

Spellwarp sniper sounds good, but how do I get around the sudden strike / sneak attack requirement?

I would pick on or the other.
personally I would go

Kobold or any dragonblooded race
Spell thief 1/sorcerer 4/ warlock 4/eldritch theurge 6/spellwarp sniper 5

That way you get your caster skills of course with spell thief so you set there.

I can't remember what arrangement of sorc to warlock ratio is needed as i am away from my books...

But this build also allows you to pick up master spell thief which should help with caster level issues.

Siegel
2009-12-23, 04:35 PM
You could always just Mindswitch with a beholder, take some levels in Beholder Mage, and go to town like that, you know. They ARE king of the rayspam.

Doesn't Beholder Mage take all your Eyerays AWAY for spells ?

tyckspoon
2009-12-23, 05:04 PM
Doesn't Beholder Mage take all your Eyerays AWAY for spells ?

Yes, but it gives you the most ridiculous form of Quicken; when you're done with the class you can cast one spell of each level per round. So.. Ray of Enfeeblement+ Scorching Ray + Ray of Exhaustion + Enervation + Disintegrate + Polar Ray + Energy Drain (you'll have to go out of the SRD to find Rays for a few of the spell levels, or just resort to metamagicing the other rays.) Lots of rays, most of them more useful than the eye-rays you sacrificed.

worthlesston
2009-12-23, 05:07 PM
Spellwarp sniper it is I suppose. Looking into it, it seems like it has the "Rays? You need rays done? Boom, got your rays right there. Rays everywhere, you want rays there too? Boom, rays there too." Thank you for the help!