PDA

View Full Version : Building a ranged bard

DragonKnight
2009-12-23, 01:24 PM
Just wondering if anyone could offer some assistance for a build in an upcoming campaign.

Basic idea is the dragonfire inspiration bard deal, with Master Thrower sprinkled in. I'm temped to take bard for a few levels, I think 4 - 7(Sticking with it until seven so I can get Haste) would be the cutoff. All five of master thrower.

The problem I'm facing is taking any bard prestige classes, they don't state that they stack with the bard levels for Inspire Courage. If they do, and I'm reading it wrong, could someone correct me? If not, would it kill me to stick with bard until level 7 to get Haste, or would I be better off stopping sooner.

I know about the Vest of Legends, Song of the Heart, and Words of Creation. Are there any other items/feats that boost Inspire Courage? Any classes that would go well with this would be appreciated too.

So, yeah. A slew of questions to look over, thanks to anyone in advance.

I have access to all 3.5 books, so no real restrictions. Homebrew is subject to approval.

As it stands right now(just used fighter for empty levels), at max level I've got about eight attacks(two weapon fighting), throwing sixteen weapons with one of the master thrower abilities. Still finding a way to visualize that working in my head... lol. I know to aim for getting more bonus damage since I'm almost forced to use daggers.

Ubergeek
2009-12-23, 01:32 PM
Step 1:Ask your DM if you can replace singing or playing an instrument with interpretive dance.

Step 2: Multiclass into monk or similar.

Step 3: Profit!

Maybe not the best option from a power gaming standpoint, but one of the most fun. Imagine the personality that would go with a quirky, energetic, dance-fighting hero.

Fai D. Fluorite, anyone?

Signmaker
2009-12-23, 01:35 PM
I have but one suggestion, for I was once in your shoes and desiring the best of two worlds. It comes in one word form, and requires the Ghostwalk supplement:

Skullmarbles.

Ignoring that, Inspirational Boost and Badge of Valor are missing from your list. Both are swift actions. And yes, a bard PrC only progresses Inspire Courage if it explicitly states some form of bardic music progression OTHER than uses/day.

Fai D. Fluorite, anyone?

Stepford Smile. No Want. Especially after backstory.

Ubergeek
2009-12-23, 01:48 PM
Perhaps, but I liked him with the smile. The real him was just depressing.

He got better, though.

And now to rerail this...

PinkysBrain
2009-12-23, 01:57 PM
If not, would it kill me to stick with bard until level 7 to get Haste, or would I be better off stopping sooner.
You can always just get boots of speed.

Aldizog
2009-12-23, 04:45 PM
You can always just get boots of speed.
Haste helps the whole party. Boots of speed just help the user.

Signmaker
2009-12-23, 10:22 PM
Haste helps the whole party. Boots of speed just help the user.

Which is why War Weaver is made of awesome.

Asbestos
2009-12-23, 10:58 PM
{Scrubbed}

tahu88810
2009-12-23, 11:01 PM
I believe Dirgesinger from Libris Mortis specifically states somewhere that the levels stack. Otherwise, I'm not sure. I don't pay much attention to most bard PrCs

Inhuman Bot
2009-12-23, 11:09 PM
You could always just play 4e instead. Revenge!!

Sure. But that helps him by... Well, not at all.

Keld Denar
2009-12-24, 05:30 AM
Behold! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11)

A ranged approach to your standard Bardblade build. Rather feat intensive, so I hope your DM allows flaws. Oh, and ToB, which helps.

Signmaker
2009-12-24, 10:05 AM
Behold! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11)

A ranged approach to your standard Bardblade build. Rather feat intensive, so I hope your DM allows flaws. Oh, and ToB, which helps.

You can reduce the feat number a smidge by taking Gloves of the Balanced Hand and Helm of the Hunter, if I recall correctly. May I ask what the purpose of the Warblade levels near the end are for?

DragonKnight
2009-12-24, 11:03 AM
No 4e for me, thanks, hah.

He is allowing flaws, which I am taking advantage of, but no ToB sadly, so still trying to find a class for those last levels.

Signmaker
2009-12-24, 11:22 AM
If you go halfling, there are whisperknife levels to take. If not, perhaps some form of mounted prc so you can sling stuff from horseback?

I also really suggest you check out the skullmarbles in conjunction with Keld's build. Even if your DM only allows them to work on undead, they're still situationally QUITE useful.

Keld Denar
2009-12-24, 04:35 PM
The Warblade levels are there because they advance your Bard IC (via Song of the White Raven) while maintaining full BAB and progressing manevuers to get to Raging Mongoose.

Raging Mongoose adds 4 extra attacks, which, with all the d6s you get from Dragonfire Inspiration is pretty badass.

Without ToB, you could maybe go Bard4/Paladin4/MasterThrower5/WhisperKnife5/X2 with Devoted Performer. This would net you a +2 base IC, +3 with a Vest of Legends, which, combined with Insp Boost, Badge of Valor, and Song of the Heart would get you a +6d6 Bard song. Then you can add in Divine Might to add your Cha to damage with all attacks.

Overall less effective, but still pretty good.