PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Help me pick which build to try.

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 04:52 PM
Hey, I was considering (Note the "considering" part) taking a break from being DM at being a player, and was looking at my options, and I am stuck between my favorite options:
Kobold Swarm Druid
Goblin Wild sorcerer
Kenku Trickster Rogue
Deva Centered Breath Monk
Gnome Battlesmith Artificer
Dwarf Rageblood Barbarian
Changeling Dark Warlock
Revenant Battlerager Fighter

I cannot figure out which to pick, any advice? At the very least, do you know which build is poor? I don't want to sacrifice power for fluff.

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 05:17 PM
No one coming to my aid?
One more:
Minotaur Ardent paladin

Blackfang108
2009-12-23, 05:24 PM
I'd say do the Kenku. An additional +1 to hit when you have combat advantage, making Sneak Attack just that much more likely to go off.

Yay!

Saintjebus
2009-12-23, 05:25 PM
With 4e, it's hard to make a really bad character, especially if you pick any of the PHB1 class/race combos. The PHBII combos are a little easier to mess up, but still difficult. Since there are no penalties for race, any race can do any class.

That being the case, where most "power for flavor" issues come up in 4e is in Feat and power selection. For example, the Fighter utility Boundless endurance give regen while you are bloodied. The same level Fighter utility Unstoppable gives some temp HP. Obviously, Boundless Endurance is much better- if you chose Unstoppable, you have sacrificed some staying power. But you still get some temp HP, which aren't bad.

Anyway, to sum up- just pick one that you like. Try coming up with a backstory independant of the class/race combo and then see which one matches. Or, see what the rest of the party needs, and pick which one fills the role that is needed.

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 05:29 PM
The problem is, I can think of good backstory for all of them, and all of them sound like awesome builds. I am truly stuck.

Kurald Galain
2009-12-23, 05:33 PM
Goblin Wild sorcerer
This one. Because wild sorcerers are awesome.

Guy
2009-12-23, 05:35 PM
that's the problem with 4e. Everything owns too much and you can't pick what to play.

Thajocoth
2009-12-23, 05:38 PM
If these are all equally good options for you, and the party isn't missing any roles, roll a die.

1d10

1 - Kobold Swarm Druid
2 - Goblin Wild sorcerer
3 - Kenku Trickster Rogue
4 - Deva Centered Breath Monk
5 - Gnome Battlesmith Artificer
6 - Dwarf Rageblood Barbarian
7 - Changeling Dark Warlock
8 - Revenant Battlerager Fighter
9 - Minotaur Ardent paladin
10 - Re-roll

Kurald Galain
2009-12-23, 05:39 PM
10 - Re-roll

10 - roll twice and create a hybrid or multiclass based on that.

CarpeGuitarrem
2009-12-23, 05:46 PM
I've always thought that the wild sorcerer looked rather fun for dice-throwers. It's a very chaotic, random class...it even has powers that do better or worse depending on if your attack roll was odd or even, which can be cool if you go for that.

Battlerager fighters are also nice, considering that they get temporary HP tacked on, which can be good if you like getting boosts like that.

The fluff and concept for the swarm druid is very awesome, although I haven't seen it in play.

I'm all for that 1d10 idea, though.

erikun
2009-12-23, 05:48 PM
10 - roll twice and create a hybrid or multiclass based on that.
There was a cave-in; the dwarf and the kobold were trapped inside. Neither one thought they would make it, so there were no concerns for the future. Nine months later, though...

Gamerlord
2009-12-23, 06:23 PM
There was a cave-in; the dwarf and the kobold were trapped inside. Neither one thought they would make it, so there were no concerns for the future. Nine months later, though...

Ze brain bleach!!! It burns!!!