PDA

View Full Version : Damn You, Murphy!

Eldritch Knight
2009-12-23, 06:26 PM
What are the odds of three separate people buying the same gift for one individual? I, my fiancee's sister, and my twin brother all bought the same gift for my fiancee. Now, I had been told that her sister would be letting me know what she had gotten before Christmas. I found out today, after she got the gift last week. I already yelled at my sibling for not consulting me. So, I'm now in the lovely position of having to pull a gift out of hammerspace, without having ANY budget left at all... Fortunatly, there's the option of returning said gift and finding a replacement.

That said, anyone got Murphy's home address? I have a baseball bat to deliver...

golentan
2009-12-23, 06:37 PM
What are the odds of three separate people buying the same gift for one individual? I, my fiancee's sister, and my twin brother all bought the same gift for my fiancee. Now, I had been told that her sister would be letting me know what she had gotten before Christmas. I found out today, after she got the gift last week. I already yelled at my sibling for not consulting me. So, I'm now in the lovely position of having to pull a gift out of hammerspace, without having ANY budget left at all... Fortunatly, there's the option of returning said gift and finding a replacement.

That said, anyone got Murphy's home address? I have a baseball bat to deliver...

The odds are actually pretty good. If it's a GREAT! gift, it's also probably one of the first to leap to mind.

Anyway, it's called Murphy's law because he was the first victim to codify it. You wouldn't hit a fellow sufferer, would you?

Closak
2009-12-23, 06:42 PM
Murphy and his damn law, it's everywhere :smallmad:

At least it's nowhere near as bad as the things that happens to Spike pretty much 24/7

Come to think of it, i think someone actually statted out Murphys law as a D&D monster somewhere.
It had an ability that made it so that you would ALWAYS get a natural 1 while fighting it regardless of what the roll is for.

Mando Knight
2009-12-23, 08:54 PM
It had an ability that made it so that you would ALWAYS get a natural 1 while fighting it regardless of what the roll is for.

I roll to miss the monster! Oops, natural 1. Guess I hit it. :smalltongue:

AshDesert
2009-12-23, 09:26 PM
Actually, if your fiancee has been dropping hints/it's really obvious what she would want, it's pretty darn likely for that to happen. I don't know if that would really count as Murphy's Law (i.e. after finding out that everyone bought the same gift, all three of you could return it and buy different but still overlapping gifts, if we really want to stretch probability), but, even so, Murphy didn't invent the law, he just put it down on paper and named it after himself.

RandomNPC
2009-12-23, 09:52 PM
when you find this murphy fellow, i've got this hammer see....

anywho, what my wife and i do, is we give our wishlists to eachother, and then I tell everyone what she wants and she tells everyone what i want. I'm not sure exactly how she does it, but i give everyone two or three ideas so nobody doubble gifts if they stick to the plan.

On the flip side, my wife and her brother got eachother the same dragon years ago. His cats like to knock it over and it's been glued together a few times, so this year she framed a drawing of it. It's all nice like.

RabbitHoleLost
2009-12-23, 11:03 PM

My boyfriend?
No, seriously, my boyfriend's name is Murphy.
I could totally get you his address.

golentan
2009-12-23, 11:50 PM
My boyfriend?
No, seriously, my boyfriend's name is Murphy.
I could totally get you his address.

Do I take it you're unhappy with Murphy?

Maybe a few things going wrong?

RabbitHoleLost
2009-12-23, 11:52 PM
Do I take it you're unhappy with Murphy?

Maybe a few things going wrong?
ONLY EVERYTHING THAT POSSIBLY COULD GO WRONG, AGH.

Not really.

Moff Chumley
2009-12-24, 12:33 AM
Hey, Doug Murphy, in Scrubs, makes a lot more sense now... :smallredface: