PDA

View Full Version : Help me build/find this Prestige Class.

barteem
2009-12-23, 06:32 PM
Here is what I need.
The bard in my Pathfinder game uses dancing for her Bardic Performance ability.
She also designed her character to be primarily support for the party.

Recently she came in to possession of a nice magical saber similar to what belly dancers use, and had the idea that she would like to peruse the path a "Blade Dancer".

I've been mulling the idea around in my head for a while now, and have made a few test PrC's to reflect what I thought would look good, but nothing has really excited me yet. I'd like to have something to offer her in the way of a PrC when she hits 6th lvl (Probably end of Janurary).

Anyone interested in giving this a shot? Build a PrC that is a bardic dancer who dances when she engages in combat with her special blade.

To make this more than just a challenge, I'll draw whatever the winner (Decided by me) wants in the style of my Webcomic. (Link to that in my sig)
For that matter, I'll draw what ever the top three contestants want.

Or, if this PrC already exists, the first one to post it will win the drawing.

Thanks for reading my wall of text, hope someone wants to give it a shot!

nekomata2
2009-12-23, 06:40 PM
Uhhh, have you looked at the Dervish from Complete Warrior? Though she would go from support to hitting things...

Kylarra
2009-12-23, 06:43 PM
Cloaked Dancer from Cscoundrel might be what you want.

taltamir
2009-12-23, 06:47 PM
prestiege classes are classes that require you to join an organization, do some quests for them, and get special secret training allowing you to be more powerful than if you took "base" classes (which has no prerequisites).

Your class levels, base or PrC, are not fluff...
that is, a fighter or a barbarian doesn't know they are fighter or barbarian, only that they hit things with a sword...

What you describe is interesting fluff, but you mentioned nothing mechanical about it.

Now, some fluffs require mechanical changes. For example, playing a one armed wizard who wants to still all his spells (without horrible penalty) would need a custom class feature (to avoid the +1 level on all your spells ever penalty).
But what is it mechanically that you want to do that you can't do already?

barteem
2009-12-23, 06:48 PM
The Dervish is pretty good, but I'm looking for something that is less full on warrior and more warrior/bard hybrid.
I do like the Dervish though.

Zemro
2009-12-23, 06:50 PM
Classes and such aside for the moment, the Snowflake Wardance feat from Frostburn might also be of some use here.

It requires the Bardic Music ability and 6 rank in Perform (Dance), and allows you to add your Cha mod to attack rolls with any slashing melee weapon you wield in one hand. Doesn't work if you're wearing a shield and/or medium/heavy armour and load. Lasts for one round for every rank in perform dance, with the downside being 10 minutes of being fatigued afterwards.

barteem
2009-12-23, 06:51 PM
what is it mechanically that you want to do that you can't do already?

I can agree with that. What I'm looking for is a PrC that gives my bard something special mechanically. The Dervish Dance (thanks Nekomata) is a nice beginning to the class, and I'd like to tweak something like that out a bit more for idea, but aside from that, I'm looking for abilities that mesh the Perform (Dance) and combat abilities in to interesting and dynamic class abilities.

Do you think that can be done without a PrC?

Kylarra
2009-12-23, 06:53 PM
Battle Dancer from Dragon Compendium would work, except well you're already into the campaign and all.

check out Virtuoso from C Adv for more bardic music fun.

taltamir
2009-12-23, 06:53 PM
ok, i see now.
You can already do what you want... what you are looking for is char op to make your character better at doing it.

that is, look for existing PrCs, items, classes, and other boosts to your synergy of dancing, bardic ability, and fighting with a sword...

nekomata2
2009-12-23, 06:54 PM
Without a PrC, I'd have to second Snowflake Wardance, from Frostburn, which I had completely forgotten about.

Edit: There is also the Slippers of Battledancing from the DMG2, which, if you have 5 or more ranks in Perform (Dance), and move 10 feet in a round, lets you use Cha for attack and damage with light and one-handers.

barteem
2009-12-23, 06:55 PM
The Dervish and the Blade dancer are both pretty good beginnings, but I've not seen one that meshes with the bardic class very well.
Dervish - Warrior
Blade Dancer - Wizard

I can't find the Battle Dancer.

barteem
2009-12-23, 06:58 PM
Snowflake Wardance is interesting!
Great start. Now with Snowflake Wardance and Dervish Dance/Blade Dance, we have something that's starting to sound good.

barteem
2009-12-23, 07:18 PM
Trying to get my hands on CScoundrel now.

FirebirdFlying
2009-12-23, 07:22 PM
Shameless self-plug, but the class needs work:
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6826096&postcount=10)

Also, this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134667) base class.

A start, maybe, if you want to homebrew something up.

barteem
2009-12-23, 08:46 PM
Shameless self-plug
A start, maybe, if you want to homebrew something up.

Both really cool designs, but a bit off from the Blade focused dance theme I'm looking for.
Here is a good example, River from Firefly during the final battle in the Movie Serenity.
She dances, she spins, and weaves a deadly whirlwind of steel and flesh!
If the Dervish had +1 level of existing spellcasting class built in between the special abilities, it might be a good base for the PrC.

Anyone else?

=)

Darrin
2009-12-23, 09:12 PM
Anyone interested in giving this a shot? Build a PrC that is a bardic dancer who dances when she engages in combat with her special blade.

Sounds like you'll want to take a look at the Sword Dancer PrC in Faiths & Pantheons. Spelldancer in Magic of Faerun might work, too.

arguskos
2009-12-23, 09:18 PM
Hmm. I'd be willing to brew something together for you, actually. Can you give me more details on what you'd want it to look like?

Currently, I'm think a 5 level class with +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting at each level and bardic music progression. Beyond that, I'd need to know more about the character to brew you something.

barteem
2009-12-23, 09:34 PM
Alright, here is the idea so far.

This is a dance based bard with high dex. She was initially designed as a support buffer and minor melee'r.
In the course of her travels she came upon a Gypsy wagon town and was shown some very basic steps to the "Blade Dance" which is similar to the dances that the Eastern European Roma performed with swords.
She was given a scimitar/sabre style sword by her mentor and told to practice and she would unlock the secrets of the Blade Dance.

What the class should resemble is a half and half Arcane Buffing Bard slash Dance based Warrior. He dance is integral to her combat prowess and he dance gives her special abilities because of it. These abilities should be personally combat enhancing and/or group buffing.

I like the Dervish PrC mentioned above, but thought it leaning far to heavily on the Warrior side of things and missing the bardic support role aspects that I think this player would want to retain.

Let me know if you want any more details.

Brendan
2009-12-23, 09:52 PM
Perhaps a dashing swordsman? it fulfills the melee criteria, and has the bardic flashiness, but is technically a homebrew. Do you allow them?
:elan: seems more music based, but you could modify it to be dance focused.

barteem
2009-12-23, 09:59 PM
Humm.
Well, I really like that PrC, but it's missing some of the more elegant swordsmanship elements I'm trying to achieve.
Some good stuff in there though!

tahu88810
2009-12-23, 10:03 PM
Sacred Dancer 6 levels
Prerequisites: 9 ranks in Perform (Dance), Bardic Music, Size Medium, Dex 16, Charisma 18

Base Attack: Great
Fort Save: Poor
Ref Save: Great
Will Save: Average
Skill Points/level: 4+int mod. Skills are as Bard Skills

Spells Known/Per Day: For all purposes regarding spells known and spells per day, every second level in Sacred Dancer stacks with Bard levels.
Bardic Music: Sacred Dancer and Bard levels stack for the purpose of Bardic Music, including gaining new forms of Bardic Music. (ie. Inspire Greatness, Inspire Heroics, etc.)

Level 1:
Sacred War Dance (Weapon of Choice): A Sacred Dancer may activate this ability twice per day per Sacred Dancer level. The Sacred Dancer begins to perform a mystical dance that heightens their capabilities in combat with a single weapon of choice, allowing them to add their charisma modifier to all attack rolls with said weapon. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to a sacred dancer's perform (Dance) rank plus their charisma modifier. The Sacred Dancer chooses their weapon upon taking their first level of this class, and must be proficient with the chosen weapon. They can not change this weapon at any time.

Level 2:
Dance of the Howling Wind: A Sacred Dancer may expend two uses of Bardic Music to, effectively, cast Haste upon any adjacent allies. This effect lasts as long as the Sacred Dancer continues to beat a DC 25 Perform (Dance) check and the allies remain adjacent to the Sacred Dancer. In addition, all allies affected by this ability can not be fatigued, slowed, or exhausted by any means.
Charisma Bonus: At Level 2 the Sacred Dancer gains a +2 to charisma, this increases to +4 at level 4, and +6 at level 6.

Level 3:
Improved Sacred War Dance: Charisma now also applies to damage while performing the Sacred War Dance.
Dance of Health: A Sacred Dancer may expend two uses of Bardic Music in order to give all allies within a 10ft radius 1d6+(cha.mod/2) temporary constitution. This effect lasts till the allies move out of range, or a Sacred Dancer stops dancing. The DC to perform this dance is DC25.

Level 4:
Charisma Bonus +4
Dancer's Grace: A Sacred Dancer may expend a use of Bardic Music in order to provide all allies who can see her with a +4 bonus to any check relying on dexterity, this +4 bonus also applies to jump. This requires a DC25 Perform (dance) check.

Level 5:
Dancer's Sway: As long as a Sacred Dancer beats a DC15 Perform (Dance) check each round, they may add their charisma to their AC as a dodge bonus. If damaged, the DC for the next round becomes 10+damage taken that round. This can be performed alongside of any Bardic Music Ability, Dancer's Grace, Dance of Health, and Dance of the Howling Wind, Dance of Life, and Rain Dance.

Level 6:
Charisma Bonus +6
Perfected Sacred War Dance: A Sacred Dancer applies charisma to all attack and damage rolls made with any weapon while under the effects of Sacred War Dance, they also may perform any Bardic Music Ability, Dancer's Grace, Dance of Health, Dance of the Howling Wind, or Rain Dance while this is active. Additionally, Dancer's Sway is considered to be active without a need for perform checks while this ability is active.
Rain Dance: By expending a use of Bardic Music and succeeding in a DC 30 Perform (Dance) check, a Sacred Dancer may cast Control Weather as a full round action. They may use this ability a number of times per day equal to their Sacred Dancer level.
Dance of Life: By expending a use of Bardic Music and succeeding in a DC 25 Perform (Dance) check, a Sacred Dancer may choose to cast "Cure Light Wounds, Mass" as a cleric who's level is equal to the Sacred Dancer's ECL-3, or cast Cure Critical Wound on an adjacent ally as a cleric who's level is equal to the Sacred Dancer's ECL.
----
Bear in mind, I came up with this on the spot. So it definitely needs a little work.

arguskos
2009-12-23, 10:15 PM
Alright, here is the idea so far.

This is a dance based bard with high dex. She was initially designed as a support buffer and minor melee'r.
In the course of her travels she came upon a Gypsy wagon town and was shown some very basic steps to the "Blade Dance" which is similar to the dances that the Eastern European Roma performed with swords.
She was given a scimitar/sabre style sword by her mentor and told to practice and she would unlock the secrets of the Blade Dance.

What the class should resemble is a half and half Arcane Buffing Bard slash Dance based Warrior. He dance is integral to her combat prowess and he dance gives her special abilities because of it. These abilities should be personally combat enhancing and/or group buffing.

I like the Dervish PrC mentioned above, but thought it leaning far to heavily on the Warrior side of things and missing the bardic support role aspects that I think this player would want to retain.

Let me know if you want any more details.
I will think on this, and perhaps get something together. No promises (I'm busy, it's Christmas), but I'll see what I can do.

barteem
2009-12-23, 10:25 PM
Woah tahu, did you just make that?
If not where did it come from?
It's pretty interesting.

And arguskos, no rush! But anything you put together, I'd love to see.

Thanks all!

tahu88810
2009-12-23, 10:41 PM
Woah tahu, did you just make that?
If not where did it come from?
It's pretty interesting.

And arguskos, no rush! But anything you put together, I'd love to see.

Thanks all!

I made it up on the spot. It helps that I've been playing Fire Emblem for the past couple days and I had the idea of Ninian with a sword in my head the entire time xD

barteem
2009-12-24, 12:21 PM
Well, I like the idea of spending performances on specials, I'll add that to the mix. Elsewise, if others could give me their take on the balance of tahu's enty, I'd appreciate it.

Brendan
2009-12-24, 06:06 PM
by itself, it seems very overpowered, but then comparing it to things like wizard, I am not as convinced about power. The prerequisites are harsh, but the gained abilities are massive. I need to look at it closer. try to test it out. Seems fun, though.
Additionally: would a shadowdancer work? what is the personality of the character?

Keld Denar
2009-12-24, 06:20 PM
Warblade from ToB would work out ok. There is a feat called Song of the White Raven, also in ToB, that allows you to combine your Bard levels with your Warblade or Crusader levels to determine the potency of your Inspire Courage ability. Since this is your main combat ability, that's what you want.

Unfortunately, the good schools that match your desired fighting style are Desert Wind and Shadow Hand, neither of which are available to a Warblade. That said, you could talk to your DM about swapping out schools. Drop Iron Heart for Desert Wind and Diamond Mind for Shadow Hand. This leaves you with Desert Wind, Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw, and White Raven. Desert Wind is very dervishy, while Shadow Hand supports a Dex emphasis. Tiger Claw has a lot of good mobility with jumps and pounces. White Raven doesn't really give you much, but I don't think you could justify dropping it and still taking the feat Song of the White Raven...

barteem
2009-12-26, 06:44 PM
by itself, it seems very overpowered, but then comparing it to things like wizard, I am not as convinced about power. The prerequisites are harsh, but the gained abilities are massive. I need to look at it closer. try to test it out. Seems fun, though.
Additionally: would a shadowdancer work? what is the personality of the character?

Shadow Dancer is too ninja for her.
She's a Flowers and Unicorns, "look at me I'm pretty, and I dance, but don't you try and hurt my firends or I'll kill you to death!"
Kind of personality.

HCL
2009-12-26, 07:27 PM
Here is an idea: 3 levels of Binder (Tome of Magic) and Improved binding feat

Bind Paimon the dancer. +4 dexterity, spring attack, +4 on perform (dance) and tumble checks, and Dance of Death (get a free hit against every enemy you move by during the turn)