PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Unlimited Metamagic Rods

LibraryOgre
2009-12-23, 07:48 PM
Has anyone done up some unlimited metamagic rods... the cost of one that would let you cast all spells as stilled/silenced/whatever, rather than just X per day?

arguskos
2009-12-23, 08:04 PM
...it'd be obscene. Like, to the point that it's not worth buying. I can't actually figure out how the pricing on the rods functions though, or I'd price an "unlimited" rod for example. :smallconfused:

My gut says it's stupid pricy, but I can't actually prove it. This is a curious question.

Thrice Dead Cat
2009-12-23, 08:07 PM
...it'd be obscene. Like, to the point that it's not worth buying. I can't actually figure out how the pricing on the rods functions though, or I'd price an "unlimited" rod for example. :smallconfused:

My gut says it's stupid pricy, but I can't actually prove it. This is a curious question.

The rods are priced based on the slot adjustment of the metamagic feat and the "level" of the rod (lesser, normal, greater). You could then break them down to cost per usage per day before cranking the usage per day through the rough, but that's not quite what the goal is.

EDIT: Give me a little bit and I can get some numbers down.

LibraryOgre
2009-12-23, 08:08 PM

Oh, I agree, it would be both stupid pricey and relatively obscene, power-wise. But someone over on Dragonsfoot mentioned something completely unrelated, which got my creative juices flowing, so when I saw another topic (the one about free metamagics), it popped into my head that if the rods were priced, there might be, in theory, a way to reverse-engineer their price into general principles.

Tavar
2009-12-23, 08:09 PM
Well, there is a simpler way: there's an epic feat that lets you do that(though it only works on 1-3 levels of spells per purchase of the feat). Just do the math for granting yourself several epic feats.

arguskos
2009-12-23, 08:11 PM
Well, there is a simpler way: there's an epic feat that lets you do that(though it only works on 1-3 levels of spells per purchase of the feat). Just do the math for granting yourself several epic feats.
Actually... that was altered. Those feats only work for two spell levels at a time now. Complete Arcane brought that to my attention (thanks again Milskadith).

Tavar
2009-12-23, 08:13 PM
Right, I was away from my books at the time, though I thought that the quicken one was only 1 spell level per instance of the feat.

arguskos
2009-12-23, 08:15 PM
Right, I was away from my books at the time, though I thought that the quicken one was only 1 spell level per instance of the feat.
Silent/Still are still 3 levels each. :smallconfused: Huh, I swore I read it differently the last time I checked.

Quicken is 1 each. Ugh, I hate stealth changes to feats. Though, considering it's Epic, I don't know how much I really care. :smallbiggrin:

Jack_Simth
2009-12-23, 08:37 PM

Well, by the Guidelines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) (as abusable as they are if they're not left in DM hands), an X/Day item is priced at (Infinite Use Cost/(5/X) = (X/5)*Infinite Use Cost):

{table=head]Special|Base Price Adjustment|Example
Charges per day|Divide by (5 divided by charges per day)| Boots of teleportation[/table]

So changing a 3/day item to an infinite item, you'd reverse that adjustment - multiply the cost by 5/3 - so that 9,000 gp lesser rod of Empower spell becomes 15,000 gp.

Theoretically, based on how much you trust the guidelines, and extrapolation based on them. Especially when you check the use-activated widget of True Strike, or the effects of a command-word widget of Cure Minor Wounds....

deuxhero
2009-12-23, 09:39 PM
It's been brought up alreddy, a constant true strike is true strike without duration, that is after you put it on your next attack has the accuracy mod.

Zaydos
2009-12-23, 09:49 PM
I'd at least put on the multiplication for "continuous" items listed at the bottom of the chart with an at-will item of empower (x4 for an effect measured in rounds I believe which is the closest category they have to 1 round), so that would be 60,000 GP.

Zeful
2009-12-23, 10:46 PM
Has anyone done up some unlimited metamagic rods... the cost of one that would let you cast all spells as stilled/silenced/whatever, rather than just X per day?

Somewhere between aleph-one and infinity.

Seriously stuff like this takes any semblance between balance 3.x and throws it out the window. It Should-Not-Exist.

Zaydos
2009-12-23, 11:32 PM
How many Level 3 or lower spells per day will you cast? I'm guessing 6 Level 0, and at most 9 of all the others. So times 11 cost max, and then you probably won't be getting full benefits on all of those (0? I mean come on I empower acid splash). So require them a 24 hour "attuning" period and give them a x8 or higher cost and most people won't even try it. I'd say 60000 (about 8 times normal) is probably fair giving a 25% discount for buying in bulk. Now when you get to the higher powered ones this makes them epic items (as 40000 times 8 is more than 200000) and everything falls apart at those levels already.